The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to take WWE forward after Mania

2 posters

Go down

How to take WWE forward after Mania Empty How to take WWE forward after Mania

Post by ADMIN Thu 10 Mar 2011 - 15:23

This was originally an article I posted up on 606 back in January (slightly tweaked with updates)

1. Get the guys that have taken wrestling to new levels over the past 20 years more involved in bringing through the next generation. The likes of Bret Hart, HBK, Jericho etc. Ensure that there’s a varying contrast of styles so that the guys coming in aren’t clones.

It now appears this is being done to some respect with Austin and Booker T assisting in a new Tough Enough

2. Ensure wrestlers are matched correctly. I don’t have a problem with a smaller guy winning the title. It’s when they then constantly are pitted in David v Goliath matches that it loses the believability factor.

Sin Cara will be a good one to watch in this respect, will he take over the mantle of annoying little guy who goes over the giants?

3. The tag division. It created a breeding ground for stars in yesteryear, the likes of Edge, HBK, Bret Hart, Jeff Hardy etc all came through after long stints as part of proper tag teams. None of these would probably have made it in the jungle that is WWE without the less intense tag division to break through in. Bring through stars in the tag division with a team branding (same outfits, music and a combined finisher) and keep them together for an extended period. Stick the tag teams on one show (SD)

Nothing has changed in this, personally I would look at making one the NXT series a tag version

4. Clearly define the two shows. Give Smackdown more of an identity. It’s lost its branding as the ‘wrestling’ show of late. Now that ECW v2 is gone and that NXT is increasingly thin on the ground, use Smackdown more as the show with new talent on, perhaps to the extent of Nexus ruling the roost on it (kayfabe wise)

Well Nexus moved over as the Corre, hardly set it alight though.

5. Give the public more a sense of power and interaction. Look at the way that TV shows have evolved recently, how much control the viewer has (or supposed control) on programmes like X Factor & Britain’s Got Talent, even how Sky Sports gives the viewer multiple options on viewing (on that note, 3D TV wrestling has to be looked asap). An ITV2 style RAW extra with after match interviews?

I still maintain that a RAW aftershow could be a great idea, it'd give the real show a lot more hopeful 'wrasslin' time.

6. Clearly defined commentator roles. On RAW of late it has been a vast improvement with Punk on the mic and Michael Cole getting a gimmick at last but for far too long it was two suck up guys. 1 face play by play guy, 1 heel colour commentator, bickering between then etc.

Punk obviously has gone back to wrestling but Cole has continued to blossom, Lawler hopefully is retiring at Mania

7. If a guy can run with a mic, let him. Give the guys who obviously can hold the stick more creative freedom rather than shackle them word for word with a script.

Don't know how much creative control has gone on since the Rock returned but the promo level has improved with Miz putting on his best ever performance this week

8. Let the bad guy win convincingly occasionally on a PPV. It creates more heat! Especially as an ending to Mania. Sure the kids all like to go home with a warm fuzzy feeling. But what moments of shock do we remember? The big heel turns. Austin v Rock and Hogan joining nWo.

Can we see a twist coming at Mania? I really hope so but I expect to be letdown

9. Employ women based on wrestling ability rather than looks. Kong is a great step in the right direction.

Still no debut and not expected until after Mania according to the dirtsheets, I expect though it'll happen at the big one itself and she'll decimate Trish.

10. Give Smackdown a clearly defined heel authority figure in charge. Teddy Long needs to be moved on.

Well he's seemingly got more authority again, by going into a 'firing' storyline. Personally still think he's the one that needs the firing.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

How to take WWE forward after Mania Empty Re: How to take WWE forward after Mania

Post by The_Essence_of_Excellence Thu 10 Mar 2011 - 16:15

1) I think Booker has been awesome on commentary and a breath of fresh air with Josh Matthews

2) Mysterio beating Kane the other week via roll up pin was a JOKE. Couldnt agree more.

3) Like I mentioned in another thread get Swagger and A-Ri together for a Frat Boy gimmich

4) Smackdown is like a RAW highlight reel couldnt agree more

5) Sounds good

6) Punk was awesome and as I said King Booker is doing a quality job- JBL was also a quality commentator

7) Amen- some people are BORING....yes I'm looking at you Morrison

8) Couldnt agree more...when Miz cashed in the briefcase it was a brilliant piece of drama

9) Diva...LOL...nuff said

10) Teddy is a waste of space...Vikki was much better

The_Essence_of_Excellence

Back to top Go down