The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try?

+17
Messymesina
dogtooth
Luckless Pedestrian
westernosprey
gelodge
CurlyOsp
Biltong
maestegmafia
Cari
Gatts
Galted
Turkster
BlueNote
tomhughesnice
wales606
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Pot Noodle Miner
21 posters

Go down

Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try?

Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_lcap28%Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 10 ]
Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_lcap11%Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 4 ]
Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_lcap39%Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_rcap 39% 
[ 14 ]
Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_lcap6%Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_lcap11%Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 4 ]
Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_lcap3%Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_lcap2%Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_lcap0%Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_lcap0%Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 36

Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Empty Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try?

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:17 pm

- winning try in an epic comeback V Scotland in 2010?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNzdB-LsjNc

- Dart down the wing from 50m out, floor the current "world player of the year" Bryan Habana with an effortless side-step and Score under the sticks in the 1st summer test 2008.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHIzvwyy1wo&feature=related

- pick up a loose ball at the side of a ruck, sprint down the wing and turn 4 or 5 South African defenders inside-out with a single side-step in the 2nd test 2008.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxh3utC4K_c

- Gathering a loose ball and creating something out of nothing by beating 3 French defenders from about 40m out and racing over the try-line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGvYjdMtaDY&feature=related

- Sprinting from 80m out side-stepping Fijian defenders as if they were'nt there and diving under the posts at the 2007 RWC (at 3.50 in the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15ZsArx3xOc&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL8BBAA9C7106F0253

kicks the ball across the ground and dives onit over the try-line to become Wales' all-time top try scorer V France in Wales' grand slam match 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am4FK1hh22w

obviously there has been many more great tries and moments from shane but heres just a select few of his great tries..
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Empty Re: Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try?

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:30 pm

Id forgotten most of them

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try? Empty Re: Shane Williams Most Memorable International Try?

Post by wales606 Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:37 pm

Hmmm,

The 2nd test against SA was the classiest try, showing the most skill.

The France 2008 try was magnificent because it gave Wales the lead in the GS final, and brought hope to all Welsh supporters (and player too no doubt)

The Scotland 2010 try sticks in the mind, but mostly because I was at the game and remember being gutted when SJ took the penalty for a draw (I thought the game was over), then it was a brilliant team effort for the try (and ridiculously tense - Jiffy certainly was) - but anyone could have scored that try.

Flattening Habana in the 1st SA test was the best 1 vs 1 try (well, after already beating a few players)

Dont remember the bottom 3 on that list - no youtube vids?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by tomhughesnice Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:44 pm

2nd South Africa test 2008 was probably the best, never seen so many players fooled by a single player. An South Africa were current world champions and still on form at the time.

2010 against Scotland was the best for drama, but any back would have got that try.

Im an Englishman and always enjoyed S. Williams as much as J. Robinson. Probably the last of their kind as well, as I doubt men of their size will be able to get a place on the wing in international rugby at least these days.

Hope he has a good final game, hes been a great servant of the game we all love.

tomhughesnice

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:51 pm

wales606 - i cant seem to find any sorry, the 2003 NZ try was in the world cup i think the game finished something like - 53 - 36, the one against England 05 was the same game that Gav kicked the winning penalty and the Argentina try in 04 was on tour when he turned several defenders inside out, the videos are probably in the SW tribute vids on youtube
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:06 pm

"Im an Englishman and always enjoyed S. Williams as much as J. Robinson. Probably the last of their kind as well, as I doubt men of their size will be able to get a place on the wing in international rugby at least these days."

The magic of players like that are what make it worth going to games, for me. The French still seem happy to field small nippy wingers, at least. And we are seeing Matthew Morgan for the Ospreys (okay, not winger, but smaller than Shane). So hopefully they're not gone forever.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:14 pm

2010 Scotland game for me, the only time I've ever flung myself in front of the TV screaming my head off, the wife still reminds me about it.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:27 pm

Don't think the try in the second test v SA was that amazing - he only had to fool Luke Watson (I think) who was on the touchline. If Watson had've stood his ground the cover would've caught Williams, instead he went running off like a half-wit and suddenly the defence were in each others' way. Still a good try but memorable for making the opponent look stupid rather than for any incredible skill.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:28 pm

I went for SA 2nd test in 2008 because it was just magic, humiliating 4 or 5 springbok defenders without anyone getting a hand on him.

Also voted for France 2008 because it was the try that swung the game in full favour for Wales to clinch the grand slam

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:02 pm

The one he will score this weekend!!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:17 pm

I think this was the best try he was involved in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2zC4Ha0DDc&feature=related

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:21 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:I think this was the best try he was involved in.

Is that really necessary? The guy has been a stalwart, not just for Wales but for small players and for the Lions.

He has genuine pace, an amazing step and is a class act

only a very classless act would attempt to belittle him while the majority of true fans of the game are trying to celebrate him

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:21 pm

My fave Shane Williams try was this one from the Heino last season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_whAZDYwqJY

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:35 pm

Gatts wrote:

Is that really necessary? The guy has been a stalwart, not just for Wales but for small players and for the Lions.

only a very classless act would attempt to belittle him while the majority of true fans of the game are trying to celebrate him
Gatts, for someone who appears to have made a career of 'having a pop' on here you are awfully thin-skinned. Speaking of which, Shane was skinned alive there.

Cheer up, pal. I was only joshing! As I've posted elsewhere Shane is up there with the top 46 wingers of the past 15 years. A class act.

Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:38 pm

This isn't about my skin and i don't single out players unless they are Haskell. Like i said, you're classless. Show some respect to a great like Habana has done. I don't think you'd recognise class if it smacked you in the chops though.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:42 pm

I love this one too (takes about five minutes of class rugby beforehand):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6GcpgTzX4Q

Bum. Apologies I just noticed that you wanted international tries... Doh It's been a long day...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:17 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Gatts wrote:

Gatts, for someone who appears to have made a career of 'having a pop' on here you are awfully thin-skinned. Speaking of which, Shane was skinned alive there.

Cheer up, pal. I was only joshing! As I've posted elsewhere Shane is up there with the top 46 wingers of the past 15 years. A class act.

Wink

SafeAsMilk, you've got a remarkably similar writing style and 'wit' as the infamous Cyril from the old 606.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:57 am

Almost forgot about the one against Australia in 2005, Shane and Gareth Thomas combined to score a thrilling try from their own 22m, which effectively won the game for wales!

Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:09 pm

Vs London Irish for the Ospreys

https://youtu.be/_whAZDYwqJY

or what i think is one of the best bits of running I have ever seen

https://youtu.be/rxh3utC4K_c

What an absolutely brilliant player.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:14 pm

I would go with the try against SA in the second test. Overall he was a magical player and served Wales well. Sadly I think the size of players these days will most likely reduce chances for small skill full players, hopefully coaches don't completely forget about them and still have use for them as impact runners.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:36 pm

Pot Noodle Miner wrote:wales606 - i cant seem to find any sorry, the 2003 NZ try was in the world cup i think the game finished something like - 53

Shane scored in the corner in that match from an overlap but the real moment of magic was his line break setting up Sonny parkers try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rT3FvoSerI

As for the best "ducking and weaving" Wales v. Argentina '09, Martyn Williams pushing Shane over the line after beating 4-5 defenders (1:55 in).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owPyOwN5cnE

As for the ones mentioned, Fiji '07 was incredibly balanced running but Scotland '10 probably the most dramatic end to an international match. It's so hard to pick a favourite.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:55 pm

Fiji

It's the swan dive that makes it.

Wink

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by westernosprey Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:49 pm

Scotland 2010

Was a simple finish for Williams but one of the most ridiculous tries in the most ridiculous international match I've ever seen.

Screamed like a baby and banged the table like an ape!

westernosprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:55 pm

Any compilation of the tries Shane Williams has scored will fall a long way short of capturing what a great player he's been. We won't see the breaks he makes out of nothing that don't always result in tries, or the part he's played in creating tries for others. Even though he's Wales's record try-scorer, it's not his try-scoring ability that has got people through the turnstiles and off their seats for all these years.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:03 pm

2nd SA test 2008. hands down his greatest try. i couldnt cheer when i saw it because it took my breath away. simply an astonishing try
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:31 pm

dogtooth wrote:2nd SA test 2008. hands down his greatest try. i couldnt cheer when i saw it because it took my breath away. simply an astonishing try
DT its one of the GReatest tries I have ever seen, pure class. Not like Wales were plating a rubbish team either, that was a top Bok side. Those defenders were chasing smoke after his little side step.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:35 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
dogtooth wrote:2nd SA test 2008. hands down his greatest try. i couldnt cheer when i saw it because it took my breath away. simply an astonishing try
DT its one of the GReatest tries I have ever seen, pure class. Not like Wales were plating a rubbish team either, that was a top Bok side. Those defenders were chasing smoke after his little side step.

That match was on the day of my shared 21st Birthday Party. I will never forget that try and that day and the people I was with. He keystone-copped half the Saffer team. It was a moment of genius from a great player at the very peak of his powers.

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:05 am

Two tries I would like to mention that are not on the list are the one v Australia 09? (10?) for the one handed catch, and the one v Ireland 08 for the hand off , getting us the triple Crown and keeping the GS dream alive, the timing could not have been better.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:53 pm

Gatts wrote:The one he will score this weekend!!

As I said, the one he would score in the final play of his career Very Happy

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellar Key Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Cant find it on Youtube but it was against Australia in Cardiff . I remember ozzies grasping at air trying to catch him but they were left behind on the ground. Smile

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:22 pm

God bless Shane. He's given us some amazing rugby over the years - but never had a good hair day in his life Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:01 pm

"that's a clip that will he played for 30 years" - you bet!

Come on Ashton, let's see your somersaults!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm

The 2008 tries v South Africa in both tests are up there but my favourite is the 2005 v Australia burning Lote Tuqiri for pace down the left hand side

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:56 pm

For me it has to be the scotland game in 2010. Not only did it cap a tremendous comeback in a game we should never have won but I phoned my father just after the game and he was in a fabulous mood after Shanes try. Sadly he passed away suddenly a few days later but that call was made extra special by Shane.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:35 pm

Glas a du wrote:"that's a clip that will he played for 30 years" - you bet!

Shane's celebration yesterday was more of a forward roll. It reminded me of gym in primary school when those kids who couldn't quite vault properly had a go Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:40 pm

There's a new punchbag in our gym. It's green black and yellow and called the "smash down Ashton" with pullable dreadlocks.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:42 pm

milk why wum all the time, he flipped over while putting the ball down in one hand, i doubt you could do it

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:33 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Glas a du wrote:"that's a clip that will he played for 30 years" - you bet!

Shane's celebration yesterday was more of a forward roll. It reminded me of gym in primary school when those kids who couldn't quite vault properly had a go Laugh

stop peeking in primary school gym windows.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down