The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Wales actually better without Shane Williams?

+8
SecretFly
mpc28
asoreleftshoulder
LordDowlais
miteyironpaw
andy powells minder
Shifty
mckay1402
12 posters

Go down

Are Wales actually better without Shane Williams? Empty Are Wales actually better without Shane Williams?

Post by mckay1402 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 4:46 pm

I know it's basically heresy because he was such a superb player but watching both the Ireland and Scotland matches I would say that Wales backs look far more dangerous than I've ever seen them. Did Shane stifle their potential a bit by being so...Shane? Is it a coincidence? Personally I think maybe Wales relied on him a bit too much to create something and now they don't have that option they are looking very strong.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Are Wales actually better without Shane Williams? Empty Re: Are Wales actually better without Shane Williams?

Post by Shifty Mon 13 Feb 2012, 4:52 pm

No not really, he was a great player, but North has been the better winger for a few seasons anyway.
We are just lucky that as we lose 1 great player, we have a few more wingers coming through, have a look at the try Dirksen scored for the Ospreys. against against Edinburgh.
Or the 2 tries Luke Morgan (Bridgend and Ospreys), and Ross Jones (Bridgend, Ospreys) scored against Scotland U20 to see how much quality young wingers we have coming through,
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Are Wales actually better without Shane Williams? Empty Re: Are Wales actually better without Shane Williams?

Post by andy powells minder Mon 13 Feb 2012, 4:55 pm

mckay1402 wrote: Did Shane stifle their potential a bit by being so...Shane?

Get thee behind me satan Very Happy

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 13 Feb 2012, 4:57 pm

I reckon Hanson was right, and SW should have played at 9.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 13 Feb 2012, 4:57 pm

Alyn, I watched that game on BBC ALBA, I must say he took that try really well, a real individual bit of skill. Just for the record, when does he become WQ ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:00 pm

AlynDavies wrote: to see how much quality young wingers we have coming through,

And I hear the levels of literacy and basic grammar are improving slowly too.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:03 pm

mckay1402 wrote:I know it's basically heresy because he was such a superb player but watching both the Ireland and Scotland matches I would say that Wales backs look far more dangerous than I've ever seen them. Did Shane stifle their potential a bit by being so...Shane? Is it a coincidence? Personally I think maybe Wales relied on him a bit too much to create something and now they don't have that option they are looking very strong.

Hard to say,Wales have beaten Ireland and Scotland with Williams in the team and imo you were far better in the WC match against Ireland than in the 1st 6 Nations game.

The question will be answered over the next year or so.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:06 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:I reckon Hanson was right, and SW should have played at 9.

Hanson were a rubbish band and know nothing about rugby!

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:49 pm

I think this is a kind of Father Ted question:

Is Shane Williams a foot shorter than George North or is he just far away?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 13 Feb 2012, 6:31 pm

In 2008 there is no way we would have won the GS without Shane, not a chance in hell. It's the right time for him to retire but we've lost a great great man.

Two games in and we're doing okay but it's only two games. Given time we will come up against opponents who nullify us and at that point who will create that spark from nothing? Not sure yet but Shane did time and time again.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Feb 2012, 6:41 pm

No, our backline is only just starting to function better now with better handling you have to admit there was so lovely takes of the offloads yesterday.

correlation doesn't imply causation, Shane was a great player, but I feel that sometimes we looked to him to provide something, and he was marked heavily after that 2008 season, even then he still managed to create try scoring opportunities.

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 13 Feb 2012, 6:55 pm

If George isn't fit for England then we should bring Shane back.

Scare the livin' daylights out of 'em.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by iso Mon 13 Feb 2012, 7:22 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:
AlynDavies wrote: to see how much quality young wingers we have coming through,

And I hear the levels of literacy and basic grammar are improving slowly too.

Is a conjunction now considered befitting as a sentence positional primary outside the realms of poetic whimsy?

iso

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 7:35 pm

Don't get me wrong I want talking about 2008 Shane or 2008 Wales. I know Shane was amazing and one of my favourite ever players but I do think Wales are more complete as a team now
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 13 Feb 2012, 7:55 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Alyn, I watched that game on BBC ALBA, I must say he took that try really well, a real individual bit of skill. Just for the record, when does he become WQ ?
Febuary I think mate.

miteyironpaw wrote:And I hear the levels of literacy and basic grammar are improving slowly too.
I do try! Laugh
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane_Williams Mon 13 Feb 2012, 10:10 pm

mckay1402 wrote:Don't get me wrong I want talking about 2008 Shane or 2008 Wales. I know Shane was amazing and one of my favourite ever players but I do think Wales are more complete as a team now

sure, but that doesn't have anything to do with Shane, just with the other players, the last couple of years a large part of the team were still developing as players (back row, JD2, North, Priestland). But if they relied on Shane before, it was because he was their best chance of scoring/winning, particularly in the tight matches where his spark was required. A better title for your thread might be is the 2012 team better than the (insert whatever year with SW playing and which you though Wales weren't too great as a unit) team. Shane, in this team (even now although marginally less influential) would just be another asset to a team with a lot of potential.

Shane_Williams

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down