The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

List of Shane Williams X factor players - fix the Wales backline

+2
fa0019
RogerLewis
6 posters

Go down

List of Shane Williams X factor players - fix the Wales backline Empty List of Shane Williams X factor players - fix the Wales backline

Post by RogerLewis Sat 17 Nov 2012, 10:07 am

What I mean by this is a list of the best players in Wales who currently have or could develop SOME of the skills SW had. I understand he was a once in a generation player but just some of those attributes would be so useful right now.

I thought it was the end of the world when SW retired so it was a massive surprise to see Wales win the 6N. I genuinely thought that this "giant Welsh backline" was a great thing. Now it is evident to see that we seriously lack players with flair, acceleration and an eye for the gap. I don't mind the bash up the middle but we are not even seeing the plays played at pace or urgency and we aren't seeing any offloads. It's incredibly unintelligent and boring.

We do have a player with pace, a fantastic sidestep, handoff and great rugby brain. His name his James Hook but he has been ruined by the Welsh coaches. Hook, like Shane Williams, has got Wales out of so many pickles. He created Byrne's try out of nothing in twickenham in 2008. He scored against England in victories 2007 and 2011. He scored a great solo try in Twickenham in 2010 for a near comeback. Why are these players being left out time and time again? We have a monkey at 10 who kicks good attacking ball away and even when there's a 5 on 2 overlap.

Wales desperately need centres with pace and an eye for the gap. We badly miss Jon Davies and players like Tom Shanklin are now showing how useful they were. We are still nowhere near finding a player who can time a pass as well as Gavin Henson. As much of a clown as he is, he still has skills to offer Wales.

Halfpenny is playing amazing at 15 but he is far more effective on the wing. I think things would be far more successful if you had players like Henson to create space out of nothing and put Leigh Halfpenny the WINGER into space where he is at his most deadly. Lee Byrne should be fullback, we should consider North at 13. Wales need at least 4 players with that X factor in the backline. We are in desperate need of pace and flair and a bit of brains.

What players in Wales do you think we need to put some focus into? Size is not an issue. Halfpenny was our smallest player last night but our best player. People I want to see develop are:

Matthew Morgan
Gareth Davies
Tom Prydie
Kristian Phillips
Dan Fish
Eli Walker

These guys are rapid and have an eye for scoring. Matthew Morgan is an unbelievable talent. Tackling, strength and defence can all be coached. We need to start with raw talent first, not the other way round. Lately we are finding giant players and THEN trying to teach them international rugby.

We are going to get humiliated against New Zealand but it would be nice to see us trying to score a few tries. With certain injuries and certain players completely useless, based on current form I would actually want to see this backline. At least it would TRY.

15. Lee Byrne - Playing great in France amazed he's not in squad
14. Leigh Halfpenny - He's a born finisher he needs to be put into space
13. George North - Great talent. From what I've seen so far he may be more effective here.
12. Gavin Henson - We need brains in the centre and someone who can make a gap
11. Eli Walker - Playing excellent at the moment
10. James Hook - Our best 10 and this guy oozes flair
9. Gareth Davies - Form 9 in Wales by a MILE and he has gas to burn

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

List of Shane Williams X factor players - fix the Wales backline Empty Re: List of Shane Williams X factor players - fix the Wales backline

Post by fa0019 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 10:59 am

North at 13 ... Mistake IMO. He's a winger not a centre.... He doesn't seem to have that Adam Ashley-Cooper look about him as a player. Perhaps I haven't seen North play enough. Certain his defence isn't solid enough yet.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

List of Shane Williams X factor players - fix the Wales backline Empty Re: List of Shane Williams X factor players - fix the Wales backline

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:03 am

Hooks had numerous chances and never cemented a place, JD is the player that makes our back line tick
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:15 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Hooks had numerous chances and never cemented a place, JD is the player that makes our back line tick

This concept of "cementing " a place is why we're in the mess we are in. Hook has "cemented" a place at 10 for Perpignan and is the top points scorer in the French league the year. For Wales, Priestland has "cemented" the place so well he now appears to have cement in his boots, while Hook gets bit parts at 15, 12 & 13.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:21 am

I'd give the Scarlets boy Liam Williams a go at fullback. He's a real handful, slippery, elusive, etc. Then put halfpenny on the wing where he belongs. Either try North at 13 (but prefer Jonathan Davies) or choose between North and Cuthbert for the other wing spot.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:21 am

SD,

I agree Hook has been messed about way to many times by Wales and the Os previously but we all know what its like.

The calls for Hook to start are beginning to grow so he plays next week throws an intercept pass (which he does way to often) then the daggers wil be out for him again.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:32 am

Ha, at the moment an intercept pass would be a highlight, at least it would be a variance on the long hoof down the middle, or the short ball to someone standing still.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:37 am

The Samoan 10 threw an intercept pass. Are the daggers out for him?

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:50 am

Exactly. Dan C threw one against Scotland last week, Poopie player.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:50 am

I wonder about 1/2p at 12 in an old school NZ second five eighths role. He has an astute boot for tactical kicking, explosive acceleration and an eye for the gap. Maybe in time he'd make a 10 in the Giteau mould.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down