The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Final Stage Qualifying School etc: Notes from the Ballwasher

+18
SmithersJones
ralphjohn69
Maverick
Diggers
Sand
LadyPutt
Lairdy
super_realist
McLaren
Leff
Davie
John Cregan
puligny
Shotrock
NedB-H
venice1
princedracula
kwinigolfer
22 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Final Stage Qualifying School etc: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: Final Stage Qualifying School etc: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 29 Nov - 19:32

First topic message reminder :

1).The haves and the have nots of the PGA Tour golf world compete in California this week, in contrasting events reflecting the contrasting fortunes and futility of their respective PGA Tour seasons. They'll play 150 miles apart in Southern California, on Jack Nicklaus designs, but there any similarities begin to fade.

2).Let's start with the "have nots" who are assembled in the Palm Desert area, at PGA West, and will contest 108 holes over six days, three each at, respectively, the "Tournament" course and the "Stadium" course. The leading 25 golfers plus ties will join "The 25" who graduated via the Nationwide Tour (including Europeans Blixt, Chopra, Christian and Knox). Europeans teeing it up at PGA West include Swedes Gronberg, Johnson, Lingmerth and, yup, Daniel Chopra as he strives to improve his status position for January tournaments. Greg Owen and Ben Briscoe join them.

3).Other "notables" include Messrs;
Sang-moon Bae
Beem
Duval
Estes
Flesch
Franco
Gamez
Nathan Green
Janzen
Maggert
McCarron
Micheel
Noh
Petrovic
Oscar Serna
Vaughn Taylor
Weekley
Wetterich
not to mention son of Wadkins, grandson of Palmer.

There'll be "live" scoring on pgatour.com. (Eight hours time difference Cal / GB&I.)

4).On the subject of Sweden's Richard S.Johnson, I notice that recent Nationwide Player Of The Year, Wales's Richard Johnson, has surfaced as Golf Coach at the University of Central Arkansas. Not exactly known as a golfing powerhouse, but he has on his "roster" students from Cardiff, Barcelona, Alberta, Columbia and Birkenhead! Good luck to him, one of very few to register a hole-in-one on a par 4 in a professional tournament, the 2009 New Zealand Open.

5).Unless I've missed something, Commish Finchem enters 2012 with as secure a collection of tournament sponsors as he's had for a long time, and McGladreys have just confirmed an extension for their contract thru 2015. The "Transitions" final year is 2012, but it is unlikely the Tour will allow the fine Copperhead course at Innisbrook Resort to slip from its schedule.

6).Lots in the press and on the rumour mill about Westwood's decision to join McIlroy on the PGA Tour for 2012. If they both manage their schedules well, and enjoy expected success, this will be a good move for both. But, if form or fitness goes south, and they don't qualify for at least a couple of FedEx Play-Off events, they'll find themselves handcuffed by the 15-tournament rule and need to play a Fall Series event or two when they'd expect to be in Europe. Not many have managed their year well, especially in a Ryder Cup season, so fingers crossed they find form early.

7).For twenty or thirty years, this part of the golf year was known as the Silly Season. Fred Couples was the poster child as he won more money in Shoot-Outs, Skins Games, Diners Club Matches, World Cups, Three-Tour tournaments and the rest than he ever did in Major Championships. Didn't fancy The Open, no worries, just say my back hurts, see you in November.
But now it's the Very Silly Season, Rory McIlroy being an early beneficiary in China and thirty golfers lined up to line their pockets this week, in South Africa and Southern California.

8)."Very Silly" is compounded by the Official World Golf Ranking people who decided that these exhibitions should warrant owgr points. This "Very Stupid" policy famously helped McDowell two years ago, and it will doubtless help a golfer or two retrieve a sorry season this week. Furyk and Woods are exhibits one and two. Frankly, I'll be astonished if Woods fails to win his "Chevron World Challenge" at the very photogenic Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks. Apart from the obvious fact that he's playing with house money, it sets up ideally for him: Opening with a driveable par-4, and continuing with 5 x par-5's. Who cares? A "W" is a "W" to Tiger, even if it's a "w" to everyone else.

9).With Brandt Snedeker having dropped out a month ago, the news arrives today that Dustin Johnson responded to trouncings alongside Tiger Woods and a singles meltdown against Schwartzel, by undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his knee. Don't expect to see him at Kapalua either, and it is likely that the Tournament Of Champions will be devoid of its biggest names. Bad news.

10).Luke Donald is scheduled to play Nedbank, which is a reminder that PGA Tour POTY ballots have to be at Tour HQ by December 9th. Imagine most have already been filled in but no reason not to hope a win might restore his name to the consciousness of "undecideds". But, there again, if Tiger wins his Chevron, perhaps there'll be write-in votes for him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Final Stage Qualifying School etc: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Final Stage Qualifying School etc: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Fri 2 Dec - 21:24

"I'd think Woods'd be bitterly disappointed, perhaps even embarrassed, if he didn't win this week. Even though the golf world would see it as a hollow victory, he certainly would see himself back on his pedestal."

For a second I wondered if Super had hacked your account. If choi for example goes very low and tiger puts in four rounds without a putting and driving meltdown and finishes within a few shots he will have done ok. Although I agree outside the top 5 and it will have been a disastrous week.

A few nice putts in the last few holes.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Final Stage Qualifying School etc: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Final Stage Qualifying School etc: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 2 Dec - 21:31

Mac,
Perhaps KJ might replicate the 2002 edition of Padraig Harrington?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 2 Dec - 21:38

Kwini

You might have to remind me what happened in 2002?

Tiger holes another to take the lead.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 2 Dec - 21:49

Harrington played as good a weekend of golf here as I've seen, at least 18 holes of it head-to-head with Tiger who he beat by two shots.
A foretaste of what was to come from him in 2008.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 2 Dec - 21:52

Well if harrington plays well every 6 years he might have an ok 2014.

How cool was it to see tiger play a great shot but then show his appreciation and respect for KJ's even better shot? Maybe the guy is alright after all.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 2 Dec - 21:53

Just got back from my Movember charity day and must same the Tiger v Tank (KJ) battle is looking good. Nice to see KJ pretty much matching hims shot for shot. Easily becoming a 2 horse race.

Great bunker shot from KJ

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 2 Dec - 21:58

Any chance you had a few beers at this event mav?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri 2 Dec - 22:01

Did wonder the same thing McLaren Very Happy

Tiger could be back he looks really good but glad to see when he hits a poor shot, his art of getting a break all the time, is still with him even after his troubles Wink Cant believe his tee shot there managed to go through two big trees, then through the heavy rough onto the fairway, despite being pretty left off the tee.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 2 Dec - 22:09

What would make you think that!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 2 Dec - 22:09

Kwin - You don't really think Luke's been up all night changing diapers? World #1 provides income that surely gives family Donald all the domestic help it needs! You may not hold Luke to the same standards as you do Tiger but I will ... in fact, I'll hold him to a higher standard ... after all, he's the top golfer in the world.

Hard to argue with California as the state the the best and most variety. But NYS likely right behind. Good call on Michigan.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 2 Dec - 22:11

By the way KJ, you only have to match tiger shot for shot when he plays well.

Not when he ends up in the bloody drink!
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 2 Dec - 22:14

Had a few sherberts but i'm allowed that now and again. Hard to concentrate on golf, keeping up with V2 and playing online roulette at same time!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Fri 2 Dec - 22:38

The field dodged a bullet with Tiger's double at 15. Jason Day finishing strong: yesterday +5 for holes 16 thru 18, today -3 for the same holes. Definition of one going to school on oneself.

Besides Michigan, I need to plan on vacationing in the Pacific Northwest for a week or so one summer. Have a couple of golfing buddies who swear it's their favorite golfing trip.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 2 Dec - 22:40

Some of the field dodged a bullet but sadly on the same hole KJ shot himself in the face. I went out the room came back and he was playing 6 onto the green, what happened to him? water twice i guessed.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 2 Dec - 22:46

Sr,
If Lukey hasn't been doing his share of the dirty work, then he's not half the man I think he is. Good Lord, it's part of the fun!!!

KJ is badly missing Andy Prodger, just not the same without him!

Catastrophic bogey, double bogey, double bogey finish from Duval, just when he'd played his way right into the qualifying shake up. He has it all to do now though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 2 Dec - 22:56

Mac,
How do you like this course? Not for a proper event perhaps, but I love it for a silly season tournament, great variety and great sh1t or bust holes.
They used to use it when the Shark Shoot Out began and it was ideal for that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri 2 Dec - 23:07

Wish Roe would shut up.. Woods appreciation society in full flow.. Shut the flip up... Hes been good but pipe down. Theres 18 players in the field and its his backyard.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 2 Dec - 23:29

Talking earlier about duffed shots:
I hadn't realised McDowell had a whiff in S.Africa today; hit a rock apparently instead of his ball.
I can do that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 3 Dec - 0:51

Let's have a look at Q-School.
Things are so bunched up at the moment that it's redundant to talk about guys who are on their way to the Tour.

But, given that the top 25 and ties after 3 rounds are at -7, and the leaders are at -13, it's realistic to feel that the "number" on Moday will be -12.

Given that, and the fact that no-one's better than -13 right now, these well-known names lying at even par or worse are in deep weeds:

Even: Greg Owen
Jason Gore
Micheel

+1: Duval

+2: McCarron
Tommy Armour, who is double-dipping from the Champos so we don't care about him.

+3: Tim Wilkinson
Ty Tryon
Flesch

+6: Franco

+7: Gamez

+9: Petrovic

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 3 Dec - 8:03

I'm astonished Keizo hasn't turned up with tales of Lazarus/Messiah's/Second Comings (not just what he does when he looks at the poster on his ceiling above his bed) and being back from the dead.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 3 Dec - 11:52

Kwini

Not sure I would want to play the course but it is sure set up for tiger with the 5 par fives an all the par 4's where he is able to go with something other than driver. One of these courses that is fine for the pro's but would just start to grate for the average player.

Although now ahead having broken KJ I still feel a fully in form tiger would be sitting about 3 shots better at this point.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 3 Dec - 12:15

No Keizo, no Simba.

Tiger's -8 on the par fives so far, all quite predictable, more than half the field already completely out of touch, just playing for a little (a lot really) cash and ranking points.
As Ryan Palmer said in January's Golf Magazine, it takes an injury or sustained bad form to drop out of the top thirty in the world.

Meanwhile, pleased to see Westwood finding some form, but either my leaderboard's on the blink or Nedbank play is suspended. Tough to tell.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Sat 3 Dec - 12:41

Was suspended due to lightning for about an hour kwini; back playing now.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 3 Dec - 12:49

Well Simba got red penned into oblivion - not sure if the same fate befell Keizo

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 3 Dec - 12:58

Thanks ralph, I see they're on the move.

Too bad, Davie. Simba could be a berk but he added some spice of the mostly unmalicious variety.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 3 Dec - 13:01

if anyone is interested in talking to simba the twitter account davie found was indeed him.

http://twitter.com/#!/SimbaRW

To say he is an odd chap is an understatement.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 3 Dec - 13:07

I sure enjoyed some of his commentary ... and agree as long as it's not malicious it's all good.

2 rounds does not a tournament make, and Tiger's pretty fortunate ol reliable KJ dunked two tee shots.

Just watching some of the action in Honk Kong before a full day of swim meets and basketball games ... I'm now thinking the best composite player would be Donald's mid to short iron swing and Rory's tee ball swing. Just a thing of beauty.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 3 Dec - 13:43

Wheat being sorted from the chaff in South Africa, Lukey's got a bit of a bridge to cross in his last six holes, needs another couple of birds at least to remain in touch.

Sr,
Seems like I lost almost a decade of my life to swim meets; didn't get down to Philly, but Bucknell and College Park were visted! Earned just about a full boat at a v.expensive NESCAC school and she "retired" after one semester!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 3 Dec - 15:37

Whatever Tiger can do, perhaps Lee can do better. Not just the statement of a 62, but the best round so far by FIVE strokes. Not bad.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 3 Dec - 18:11

I said earlier that he was looking like taking control of proceedings and then I had to go out. Now came back and I'm stunned to see what he did! Brilliant! I heard earlier in the day one of the Sky commentators saying that Billy Foster apparently said after the 1st round that Lee gave the most incredible display of ball striking he had ever witnessed in his carreer... and we can be sure that the guy has seen a few things in his carreer! Putts didn't drop quite as much two days ago, but today apparently they did...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 3 Dec - 19:46

kwinigolfer wrote:pd,
I don't think Brady Stockton is related to Dave or his sons. He's been playing the mini-tours and in Canada, in his thirties now and I've never heard his name mentioned in a Stockton family context.
Cheers kwini, most probably no relation there.

Btw, is Tommy Armour III related to.... Wink

Talking about names, I was browsing through the Q-school LB and it reminded me of a thread posted once by someone on famous dictators who were fond of golf... It would appear that some of their prodigies are fond of it as well: Kim, Franco, Castro, Svoboda,... (surely, Thatcher wouldn't fit in that category) Very Happy

Great run by Noh, he's been a bit quiet this past season, but hopefully we'll see him starting to fulfill his true potential next year on the PGA tour...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 3 Dec - 20:13

TAIII is related to the guy who had something to do with my putter!

I think Thatcher should be first on that list - thank gawd there aren't any Cheneys on Tour.

Not many decent shifts underway in California, but if they're handing out money and owgr points like confetti, it would behove Casey and Laird to continue their good rounds.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 3 Dec - 20:35

Amazing recovery by Casey! If that 1st round 79 would've been a level par, he'd be tied with Woods right now!

Two of the main candidates for POTY, Webb and Keegan, are propping up the LB at the moment...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sat 3 Dec - 20:45

Casey es en fuego. Jason tienes mucho frío.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 3 Dec - 20:46

princedracula wrote:Amazing recovery by Casey! If that 1st round 79 would've been a level par, he'd be tied with Woods right now!
...he'd be two shots ahead right now! 6-under in the last 5 holes!!! Wow!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sat 3 Dec - 20:56

Not that Casey deserves much respect for his play the past year but the guy was shooting for a birdie after throwing a -6 for the previous 5 holes and NBC caught his long putt attempt somewhere in the middle of his stroke. I believe there are 16 golfers out there so it's difficult to understand why the broadcast directors were not prepared for his next shot.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sat 3 Dec - 22:52

Wow that was a really poor shot from Woods... Both Kuchar and Woods hitting it into hazard on 16.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 3 Dec - 23:00

Tiger will wish he had built a lead as he is now wide open and ripe for a G-mac 2010 style overhaul. Does anyone really trust tigers ability (including tiger) if things get really tight.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sat 3 Dec - 23:30

Great holed out 2nd shot at last for Zach Johnson.. Now leading..

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 3 Dec - 23:43

Team GB with the best two rounds of the day. Still have to think Woods will win though.

High scores also at Q-School, more 80's so far than 60 somethings. There are some train wrecks out there: Brett Wetterich shot a 64 on Friday, today he's +12 after 16 holes.
We'll check things out when I've had a few drinkies.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 4 Dec - 3:51

Let's count down the Europeans at Q-School after 72 holes, with 36 still to play:
None are in the current top 25 places for qualifying.

Greg Owen is 41st, 2 shots out of the top 25.
Gronberg is 55th, 4 shots out.
Richard Johnson is 68th, 5 shots adrift.
Ben Briscoe lies 74th, 6 shots back.

Duval, Flesch, Chopra (who already has "status"), and Rich Beem need to go about ten under the final 36 holes, whereas Wetterich, Weekley, Petrovic, Gamez, Tryon and Carlos Franco look to be goners.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 4 Dec - 15:13

Can't work out why Chopra is still there. To make his week worthwhile he needs not only to finish top 25 but to be in the top half of the qualifiers, otherwise his status won't be any better than what he's already got. I don't see any chance of him doing that, and the two guys immediately below him in the Nationwide standings didn't even bother turning up...

Might be worth keeping in mind that Nationwide double-dippers aren't counted in the 25 and ties, so if a couple of them are near the top come tomorrow night, then guys in T27th might still get cards. Hurley, Castro and Anderson could all have an effect in that respect.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 4 Dec - 15:28

Ooh, Had forgotten that about the double-dippers. Good point Ned.

Who knows why Chopra does what he does . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 4 Dec - 19:21

Triple bogey, eagle, bogey, bogey for Casey at the par 5 2nd hole (+3) Shocked
Birdie, eagle, bogey, birdie for Tiger (-3)
6 shots difference on that hole, which is more than Tiger's current advantage over Casey...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 4 Dec - 19:45

Some pretty poor shots in the last 10-20 minutes by many of the Chevron stars, including the guys in front...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 4 Dec - 19:58

Martin Laird is -9 for the weekend. Pity about days 1 and 2.
Live scoring from Q-School seems to be on the blink again, but Boo Weekley making a nice run at it, -5 early in his second nine.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 4 Dec - 20:48

For the most part I thought Bradley was a shoe-in to get the 'wooden spoon' trophey, but I see Watney is giving him a good run for his money (i.e. the $140k which goes to last place)...

Casey up to 3rd!! So I wasn't too far in the end with my initial feeling... Smile

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 4 Dec - 21:09

Cant believe the reaction of the american commentators to Tigers shot at 10 saying it was brilliant. Glad Pugh and Roe called it like it is. He was lucky it didnt go in the bunker, and no way do you try and pitch it in the semi rough in a 6 inch spot, however good you are.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 4 Dec - 21:11

I almost needed CPR when Roe seemed even vaguely critical when it came to "the messiah"

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 4 Dec - 21:15

Have I just been snoozing or am I right in saying they haven't shown Laird yet?
Perhaps if he'd wear orange?

Sang-Moon Bae clawing his way into the top 26 - will need a solid round Monday. Back to the Nationwide for Sweden's David Lingmerth.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next