The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Final Stage Qualifying School etc: Notes from the Ballwasher

+18
SmithersJones
ralphjohn69
Maverick
Diggers
Sand
LadyPutt
Lairdy
super_realist
McLaren
Leff
Davie
John Cregan
puligny
Shotrock
NedB-H
venice1
princedracula
kwinigolfer
22 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Final Stage Qualifying School etc: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty PGA Tour: Final Stage Qualifying School etc: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 29 Nov 2011, 7:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).The haves and the have nots of the PGA Tour golf world compete in California this week, in contrasting events reflecting the contrasting fortunes and futility of their respective PGA Tour seasons. They'll play 150 miles apart in Southern California, on Jack Nicklaus designs, but there any similarities begin to fade.

2).Let's start with the "have nots" who are assembled in the Palm Desert area, at PGA West, and will contest 108 holes over six days, three each at, respectively, the "Tournament" course and the "Stadium" course. The leading 25 golfers plus ties will join "The 25" who graduated via the Nationwide Tour (including Europeans Blixt, Chopra, Christian and Knox). Europeans teeing it up at PGA West include Swedes Gronberg, Johnson, Lingmerth and, yup, Daniel Chopra as he strives to improve his status position for January tournaments. Greg Owen and Ben Briscoe join them.

3).Other "notables" include Messrs;
Sang-moon Bae
Beem
Duval
Estes
Flesch
Franco
Gamez
Nathan Green
Janzen
Maggert
McCarron
Micheel
Noh
Petrovic
Oscar Serna
Vaughn Taylor
Weekley
Wetterich
not to mention son of Wadkins, grandson of Palmer.

There'll be "live" scoring on pgatour.com. (Eight hours time difference Cal / GB&I.)

4).On the subject of Sweden's Richard S.Johnson, I notice that recent Nationwide Player Of The Year, Wales's Richard Johnson, has surfaced as Golf Coach at the University of Central Arkansas. Not exactly known as a golfing powerhouse, but he has on his "roster" students from Cardiff, Barcelona, Alberta, Columbia and Birkenhead! Good luck to him, one of very few to register a hole-in-one on a par 4 in a professional tournament, the 2009 New Zealand Open.

5).Unless I've missed something, Commish Finchem enters 2012 with as secure a collection of tournament sponsors as he's had for a long time, and McGladreys have just confirmed an extension for their contract thru 2015. The "Transitions" final year is 2012, but it is unlikely the Tour will allow the fine Copperhead course at Innisbrook Resort to slip from its schedule.

6).Lots in the press and on the rumour mill about Westwood's decision to join McIlroy on the PGA Tour for 2012. If they both manage their schedules well, and enjoy expected success, this will be a good move for both. But, if form or fitness goes south, and they don't qualify for at least a couple of FedEx Play-Off events, they'll find themselves handcuffed by the 15-tournament rule and need to play a Fall Series event or two when they'd expect to be in Europe. Not many have managed their year well, especially in a Ryder Cup season, so fingers crossed they find form early.

7).For twenty or thirty years, this part of the golf year was known as the Silly Season. Fred Couples was the poster child as he won more money in Shoot-Outs, Skins Games, Diners Club Matches, World Cups, Three-Tour tournaments and the rest than he ever did in Major Championships. Didn't fancy The Open, no worries, just say my back hurts, see you in November.
But now it's the Very Silly Season, Rory McIlroy being an early beneficiary in China and thirty golfers lined up to line their pockets this week, in South Africa and Southern California.

8)."Very Silly" is compounded by the Official World Golf Ranking people who decided that these exhibitions should warrant owgr points. This "Very Stupid" policy famously helped McDowell two years ago, and it will doubtless help a golfer or two retrieve a sorry season this week. Furyk and Woods are exhibits one and two. Frankly, I'll be astonished if Woods fails to win his "Chevron World Challenge" at the very photogenic Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks. Apart from the obvious fact that he's playing with house money, it sets up ideally for him: Opening with a driveable par-4, and continuing with 5 x par-5's. Who cares? A "W" is a "W" to Tiger, even if it's a "w" to everyone else.

9).With Brandt Snedeker having dropped out a month ago, the news arrives today that Dustin Johnson responded to trouncings alongside Tiger Woods and a singles meltdown against Schwartzel, by undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his knee. Don't expect to see him at Kapalua either, and it is likely that the Tournament Of Champions will be devoid of its biggest names. Bad news.

10).Luke Donald is scheduled to play Nedbank, which is a reminder that PGA Tour POTY ballots have to be at Tour HQ by December 9th. Imagine most have already been filled in but no reason not to hope a win might restore his name to the consciousness of "undecideds". But, there again, if Tiger wins his Chevron, perhaps there'll be write-in votes for him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Final Stage Qualifying School etc: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Final Stage Qualifying School etc: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by SmithersJones Sun 04 Dec 2011, 9:16 pm

Does anyone know why McDowell isn't there to defend? Other than Tiger didn't like being beaten to his own tournament, of course. The way Choi, Kuchar and now Johnson have gone out of their way to let him take over is nothing short of embarassing.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Final Stage Qualifying School etc: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Final Stage Qualifying School etc: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Sand Sun 04 Dec 2011, 9:18 pm

Davie wrote:I almost needed CPR when Roe seemed even vaguely critical when it came to "the messiah"

I know he was so far up his ass last night it was a joke.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 04 Dec 2011, 9:53 pm

Costly birdie at the last for Laird.

Perhaps Casey might birdie it to compensate?

Back at Q-School, Duval about six shots adrift of where he needs to be.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 10:05 pm

How much time did Zach take for the shot on the 14th? Should have been given a 2 stroke penalty. Was ready to turn the channel. Thought the PGA had a shot clock.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 04 Dec 2011, 10:13 pm

Actually thought he did a great job of thinking it all out. He will be disappointed he doesn't have god on his bag, but he and Damon Green are a great team!

venice,
Nice win for Les Habs last night. Think you asked about SC golfers on Tour: Brett Quigley just departed the Tour, Kyle Thompson has just rejoined it and Mark Anderson is also a Gamecock. Dustin Johnson should be, his grandad is in their Hall Of Fame I think; but Dusty went to Coastal Carolina.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 04 Dec 2011, 10:17 pm

Evening folks, hope you all are keeping well. I havent seen much golf this year. But could this be the week El Tigre returns to the winning circle?

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 04 Dec 2011, 10:30 pm

Hi B_t_b: How's the family?

As we said yesterday, if he doesn't win he'll be very disappointed but he's seemingly playing more conservatively than the old Tiger. Not sure that suits him in the long term, takes away some of any intimidation factor.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 04 Dec 2011, 10:36 pm

Kwini

Once his swing is back he will be able to play like the old tiger but at the moment any overly risky shots he takes on seem to go punished instead of giving him an advantage over the field.

A good week for stack and tilt though, two of its followers at the top!
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 04 Dec 2011, 10:39 pm

Good Kwini, thanks for askin. Hope alls well with the Kwini's.
Tiger must have pre read your post there prior to laying up Wink This is all I've seen of this tourney so far.. Didnt even see Rory or Lee do the business earlier. Tiger behind the 8 ball now tho...

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 04 Dec 2011, 10:45 pm

Mac, B_t_b: Both hands on the wheel for Tiger and usually he's foot to the floor.

As for venice's accurate comment about Zach's pace of play: Wonder if he's slow balling Tiger a little? Boot on the other foot perhaps!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 04 Dec 2011, 10:47 pm

Now or never...

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 04 Dec 2011, 10:48 pm

Now thats Tiger Woods...

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:03 pm

Hello world............
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:06 pm

Anyone would think he'd won the grand slam...

More or less as predicted, Woods put himself in contention, someone else turned up actually fancying a win, and it came down to whether Johnson could do a McDowell or not - he couldn't.

Ridiculous OWGR inflation or not, there's not a lot to read in to it, a better test will be next time he tees up - Abu Dhabi? Who wants to bet on him even making top 10?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:08 pm

So where GMac made a miracle up and down then a monster putt to make the playoff and another to win it, Johnson let it slide without a fight. He lagged both putts on 17 & 18 where Tiger, looking like he wanted it where Zach looked like he couldn't care less, made both.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:10 pm

Going birdie birdie to win isn't too bad really.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:11 pm

My thought was winning WWIII, same idea!

Well played to both of them, pretty pathetic exhibition by most of the rest of the field.

Following on to my earlier dig: he's actually playing better when he navigates his way around rather than bombs it. Not sure that's Tiger's game in the long run.

Roll on Abu Dhabi (and I never thought I'd write that!).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:13 pm

For a guy just lagging putts and not trying to hole them Zach sure spent a long time lining them up.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:16 pm

Very nice "W" for Tiger. A tidy ride back to some form.

The battle today was Tiger/Zach all the way. Casey, Kuchar, Choi all just a bunch of "what ifs".

Only the very wise predicted this victory - I saw a top 5, so TW exceeded my expectations.

Next up current World #1 against future World #1. Sorry Luke, I predict Rory time.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:17 pm

Only saw the putt go in so did Tiger just beat Jack's major record and Sam Snead's win record. Maybe should have been flagged for excessive celebration....Looked like there was a bouncing blonde in the background hoping to make Tiger's little black book too...

So he finally made the W, horrid term, any idea when his next rep (see before) will happen?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:19 pm

Mac - I thought the same thing. My clothes were going out of style waiting for him to putt.

(Actually, my daughter would perhaps suggest my clothes are coming back into style waiting for him.)

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:20 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
Following on to my earlier dig: he's actually playing better when he navigates his way around rather than bombs it. Not sure that's Tiger's game in the long run.
Do you think Kwini? I'd actually be quite worried for the rest of the top guys if Tiger's reverted to course management-mode. Remember Hoylake? When he wants to, he can plan his way round a course, and a tournament, better than anyone else in the game. Given that the biggest flaw in his game recently has been waywardness of the tee, a more sedate method might be exactly what he needs - put away the driver if you can't use it.

kwinigolfer wrote:Roll on Abu Dhabi (and I never thought I'd write that!).
Only if you're a Woods freak... I'm still looking forward to Dubai next week before anything; and Euro Q-school, Hawai'i etc should at least be worth watching. The world of golf goes on...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:49 pm

More down-to-earth matters:

Owen was solid but unspectacular in his round today, -5 for the week and two shots off the top 25 as things stand. Good bogey-free day for Ben Briscoe, and he's just one further back, with Gronberg another one behind him. All depends on what the weather does tomorrow; windy and -6 or -7 might be enough; calm and it could push as high as -10. Lingmerth can warm up for another Nationwide campaign, as Kwini said; Chopra can content himself with the status he's already earned, cos it ain't getting any better; and Johnson can go back to wherever he decides to play next year. Not sure if his Scandinavian win still gives him Euro exemption; he might opt for Nationwide duty anyway.

Don't think anyone expected 48 year-old Marco Dawson to be leading; second or third oldest man in the field but looks a shoe-in for a card now. Top end of the leaderboard is very American-dominated, only Aussies Jones and Lyle, Noh and Brazil's finest Rocha in qualifying spots for the moment that I can see. Among the more interesting names still in contention:

Walker Cup man Harris English (T3) and making a better stab at pro golf than anyone else bar Tom Lewis from that tournament.

Edward Loar (T9), holder of a couple of runners-up spots on the Euro tour several years ago, while playing (I think) mainly in Asia. Dropped like a stone after that onto the mini tours, but seems to be getting it together again.

Scott Parel (T13), looking to trump Surrey's 40-year-old Gary Christian by being a 46yo rookie in 2012.

Jeff Maggert (also T13), and only a year older at 47, but with the small matter of 541 more tour starts than Parel.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:21 am

Sand wrote:
Davie wrote:I almost needed CPR when Roe seemed even vaguely critical when it came to "the messiah"

I know he was so far up his ass last night it was a joke.

I cringed at Roe's "Golf really needs that fist pump" comment after the birdie on the 17th. Are you sure Mark?

Talking of ass though I wonder if the trophy will be heading in the direction of a certain ex-caddy?

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Dec 2011, 6:39 am

McLaren wrote:Hello world............

What the f*@k does that mean?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:49 am

Chevron are not renewing their contract as title sponsor of the Tiger benefit at Sherwood CC.
Hadn't realised that gig was up, but tournament officials are now looking for a new sponsor - the course will remain the same, at least through 2015.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:31 am

super_realist wrote:

Tiger's first words at a press conference when he turned pro. I'm guessing Mac is ready for the Kleenex and wizardesses may take a back seat for a while

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:32 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Tiger's first words at a press conference when he turned pro. I'm guessing Mac is ready for the Kleenex and wizardesses may take a back seat for a while

Christ, did he really say that? Sounds like something off a bra advert, but then again he is a right t1t. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:33 am

Not sure I want to enter the mire that is the tiger back or tiger w threads (or whatever they are called) but the only things we can take from his win are.

1 his confidence must have been improved by winning again.

2. It was a small field so it would be naïve in terms of statistics to say he is on real tour winning form.

3. I think this is the most important point, he had a chance to win in the closing holes and like the tiger of old he made it happen.

He needed two birdies to win and he did, what other player around could have done that? And not just do it but do it in a manner that we all know was no fluke. The putt on 17 was the tiger of old willing a must make putt into the hole when he needed to. It shows that when he is able to string four good rounds together and can get in a position to win he can do it. In 2010 and the earlier part of 2011 that was not clear. So the size of the field is almost irrelevant in proving he can force a win in the closing holes if needed.

Can we also be clear that zach Johnson was trying as hard to win last night as if it had been a major. The way he thought about every shot and the emotion he showed made it obvious he cared a lot about winning. There was some rubbish written earlier about him lagging putts, not a chance.

A five shot win from tiger would have proved nothing, a birdie, birdie finish to win reveals something.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:07 pm

Many thanks to Ned for making some sense out of Q-School.

Weather/winds over the past few days have meant projecting the "number" to be very tricky, but it's difficult to believe that too many golfers will follow five average rounds, or worse, with a total ripper today, so am assuming anyone worse off than Even Par is out of contention.

Only 162 of the original 173 are still standing, Richard S.Johnson among those slamming the trunk last night.

Notables:
Inside the top 25+:
Vaughn Taylor
Jarrod Lyle
S-y Noh
Maggert
Matt Jones
RoboPro Estes

Within 3 shots:
S-M Bae
Greg Owen
Janzen
Briscoe

4-6 shots adrift:
Gronberg
Duval
Nathan Green
Dean Wilson
Millionaire Merritt
Jason Gore
Weekley

7 or more shots to make up:
Tim Wilkinson
Adam Hadwin
Nitties
Bio Kim
Tommy Armour
Lingmerth
Sam Saunders
Micheel
Horschel
Chopra
Beem
Franco
Petrovic
Gamez
McCarron
Tryon
Wetterich withdrew

Also noticed that recent top-ranked Amateurs, Canadians Matt Hill and Nick Taylor, are struggling in the E.T. Q-School. Shocking how both of these have failed to improve from their position on top of the amateur game's pinnacle.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 05 Dec 2011, 6:21 pm

The first Q-School groups just made the turn and the leaders have completed their first hole.

Scoring looks low early on so here's an interim update on Europeans:
Greg Owen: Slipped from 34th to 37th after 7.
Gronberg: Slipped from 53rd to 55th after 6 holes.
Briscoe: Just underway.
Lingmerth: Slipping down the leadrbaord, no miracle for the Swede.
Johnson has tweeted he's back home, figuring out Plan B.

No-one's made a really compelling move yet, and the "number" is at -8, looking as if it might reach -9, at least.
Boo Weekley is three under after three holes, Duval one under after three, but they both need to shoot low 60's to have a chance.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 05 Dec 2011, 6:47 pm

Sang-Moon Bae five under par after 8 holes. Pars on the way in and he'll be on Tour next year. Birdie for Greg Owen, two or three more would do the trick.

Hard luck story of the past couple of months is Aussie James Nitties. Was right up with the Nationwide leaders after three rounds in the final full-field event, but suffering from a cold. Dosed himself up with medication to help him sleep and treat what ailed him and slept through his wake-up call on the Sunday, missed his tee time and was dq'd missing out on the likely $15K - $20K pay cheque which would have secured his card via Nationwide Top 25 qualification.

Now he's hacking it up in the certain knowledge that he's Nationwiding it again next year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 05 Dec 2011, 7:44 pm

Swings and roundabouts:

Koreans Sang-Moon Bae and Seung-yul Noh playing well and looking good.

Greg Owen now INSIDE the top 25, at -5 for the day. In the past, this is where he'd get an ill-timed dose of vertigo but perhaps the 2011 model is made of sterner stuff.

Aussie Matt Jones is now underwater, but compatriot Jarrod Lyle going well.

Duval has a chance if he can continue at his four-under-after-seven-holes pace, but Boo Weekley is playing weakly after a starting flourish. Janzen and Gronberg look as if they are goners and Briscoe is off to a poor start.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Mon 05 Dec 2011, 8:48 pm

Hi kwini,

Do the top 25 in Q School receive full PGA Tour status of 2012? Unnoticed but Ol' Maggert saved his year yesterday with a 66.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:04 pm

Hi venice,
Yes, Of all the new Tour Members, the leading Nationwide player receives Full Membership. The next 24 Nationwiders and the Top 25 finishers-ish today receive alternating status.

One or two old lags doing well, Bob Estes and Maggert need to par in and they'll be OK. But then there's Marco Bloody Dawson who, sadly for him, is beginning to play like his old self after golfing so well for five days. Can the 48-y-o hang on? Wouldn't bet on it.

Greg Owen? Should be OK if he can par his final two holes.

But Duval, Janzen and Weekley are done for.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:37 pm

Wow,
I reckon Greg Owen has done it. BIG thumbsup for the man from Mansfield; didn't think he had it in him at this stage of his career.

And Nathan Green is in with a 66 - which will leave him just on the precipice. Sitting in the clubhouse right new with some Fosters and a fingers crossed.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:40 pm

Dawson would have to have a spectacular blowout to miss out on his card completely, 2 over for his round but still with a cushion of 6 shots or so. Might have wrecked his chances of being medallist, but that's far from clear cut, a right logjam at the top. One shot ahead of the pack is a 36 year old, Gangluff, who's struggled to hold down a Nationwide card since his one PGA sojourn a decade ago. Meanwhile another 48-year-old, Scott Dunlap, has matched Owen's pars home to most likely seal a card. And it looks like the Nationwide graduate factor will come in to play, 26 guys at -10 or better as things stand, but two of them are Anderson and Castro, which lets in the guys at -9, or even as things stand, -8.

In other news, pgatour.com have revamped their player profiles, just to confuse those of us who use them regularly.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:49 pm

Speaking of Marco "B" Dawson, see that he was born in Freising, Germany. That might qualify him for partial European status. Looks like he will hang on with his tired bones after all. Not sure what he expects to do on tour besides stay warm until he joins his buddies on the Senior circuit in 2 years time. -10 is probably the cut line.

Do those with alternating status hang out each week at the tour stops just like those waiting at the airports as 'standby' status or are they guaranteed a certain of amount of entries? Owen: nice job to secure his -10.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:52 pm

My mistake. Misunderstood how the cut is determined.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:00 pm

Ned,
They were showing Dawson at +4 for the day at one time.

Scott Dunlap also (as well as Edward Lear) spent time in "Europe".

Looks good for Team Korea, Sung-Moon Bae in already, S-y Noh just needs to par in.
Very happy that Lyle's doing well, disappointed at Matt Jones who badly needs something good to happen.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:39 pm

Delighted for the two Koreans, I'm hoping for great things for/from them on the PGA Tour. Mind you, I guess that we won't be seeing Noh as much on the ET from here on, if at all...
Really sorry for Duval. I wonder what's next for him after this...?

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:43 pm

Not to be facetious, but Duval does have full Nationwide status, and presumably could play some E.T. tournaments if he so wished.
So he does have options, and will surely get in about 15 Tour events. Janzen too.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:41 pm

So, all done and dusted, 29 (I think) "graduates", with Roberto Castro and Mark Anderson double-dipping to let in the -8s who officially only finished T27th. Still waiting on tour confirmation that they're in though. Leading the way is Brendon Todd, a 26 year old getting a return to the Tour after coming off the Nationwide in 2009; a big return to form after making only 5 PGA cuts in 2010, and 10 Nationwide cuts this year. Others in include the two Koreans Noh and Bae, Greg Owen and Jarrod Lyle, Matt Jones missing out though. And Ben Briscoe of Wales birdied his final hole, which I think assures him of "full" Nationwide status for 2012 rather than "conditional". He'll be joined by Gronberg and Lingmerth, Sweden young and old. Who knows where Richard Johnson will spend his time.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:53 am

I've mentioned on here before that Jarrod Lyle is about the funniest Pro I've ever followed, pretty much a laugh a minute.
super_realist would no doubt assess him some penalty shots for his bloated girth but, in light of his cancerous medical problems, it's likely that appearances alone don't tell half the story. Or just maybe they do.
Regardless, mentor Allenby will be very pleased.

Richard Johnson is mostly twittering in Swedish so no clue what he's going to be up to.

Big flop has been Rory McIlroy's rival, Billy Horschel, who must have thought as he embarked on the final McGladrey round that he was on course for a win, or at least comfortably secure Tour status. A shank or two later and he's flopping at Q-School. For better or for worse he'll be back though. Too good a golfer to keep down for too long.

And justice was done for #126 on the moneylist - Bobby Gates who qualified very comfortably.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:24 am

Ned,
The -8's are confirmed, so a very good day's work for Nathan Green.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:05 am

Pleased for Gates and William McGirt to get back to the tour, both of whom must've felt a little hard done by after their seasons. Green and Richard Lee (isn't there several Richard Lees already?) must be the two biggest efforts to scrape home today.

In other news I see Dana Quigley's son - so presumably Brett's cousin - is in hospital after a car smash. For those who don't like like the God-botherers, look away now: Quigley Sr's daughter was quoted saying "We have tens of thousands of people praying for Devon. We have 60 church-prayer chains (?) going. I have friends in Abu Dhabi who are praying for us." And Dana himself thinks it'll all work out fine because "Devon came to Christ two weeks ago when he got baptized. It's convinced me Devon is really in better hands than we are." You'd think that landing up in hospital with brain injuries a week after being baptized might test your faith, but apparently it only strengthens it. Anyway, get well soon to Quigley Jr, God or no God.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 06 Dec 2011, 7:19 am

Hope he gets better, but good grief, religious Americans don't half know how to embarrass themselves. What a sickly statement, even in the circumstances.
Place faith in the doctors first I would say.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 06 Dec 2011, 8:31 am

Bad week for the Quigleys, BQ withdrawing from Q-School and only "veteran status" remaining for him.

Horrible news for DQ and his son, sounds like a drove his beemer straight into an 18-wheeler, no brakes applied.
Wonder what our old friend 335bmw might have made of that?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:32 pm

You always hate to think it but when you hear young guy, fast car, party and late night I tend to think drink driving.

So when will the q school results be officially anounced?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:44 pm

Mac,
The final results are on pgatour.com.

In essence, there are 27 new qualifiers, all the way down to the minus eights on the leaderboard:

http://www.pgatour.com/qschool/leaderboard/

So Green and Knost are OK, the minus sevens are toast.
Note that Castro and Mark Anderson had already qualified via the Nationwide, were trying to improve their "status" and don't count towards the top 25 and ties.

PS: Have just dropped you a pm.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next