The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia will be Wales' 17th Test Match this year

+14
Morgannwg
majesticimperialman
kiakahaaotearoa
HERSH
Breadvan
cabbagesandbrussels
aucklandlaurie
Luckless Pedestrian
damngoodOvalball
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
XR
Pot Noodle Miner
red_stag
maestegmafia
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Australia will be Wales' 17th Test Match this year Empty Australia will be Wales' 17th Test Match this year

Post by maestegmafia Wed 30 Nov 2011, 8:44 am

Wales coach Warren Gatland fears that Saturday's Test with Australia could prove to be a "game too far" for his squad.

The match in Cardiff will be Wales' 17th this year - six games more than in the previous three years.

Gatland says his players needed a rest after the "emotional" World Cup campaign, but conceded he had to surrender to financial "pressures".

"The international game generates the money," Gatland told BBC Wales Sport.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15951374.stm

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Australia will be Wales' 17th Test Match this year Empty Re: Australia will be Wales' 17th Test Match this year

Post by red_stag Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:22 am

Apart from the WRU coffers will anyone benefit from the match?

Regions Heineken Cup preparations will be badly affected. For example Scarlets have a crunch match against Munster in 10 days time. However most of their squad is away and will have to send a weak team off to Ulster to prepare. By contrast Munster will have their whole team preparing for that game.

Gatland feels the game is unneccessary for the national team and could be a game too far.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Australia will be Wales' 17th Test Match this year Empty Re: Australia will be Wales' 17th Test Match this year

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:27 am

sounds like a negative approach by Gatland and if the players go into the game with the mindset of "this is a game too far" then i think the wallabies will run through us all day long, i can see his point as its come so soon after the world cup but you cant do anything about it now so the best thing to do would surely be to treat at as any other game and give it 110% and not moan and be negative about it
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:34 am

I'm glad he's said this...a couple of days before the game.

He should have vetoed this match, he would have been asked about it before it was signed off. It is a pointless match and it is going to hamper the regions. The WRU need to be careful about how they arrange matches in the future - someone gets a serious injury and one of the regions could kick up a mighty stink about it.

Injured in the 6N? That's fair enough, but injured in a pointless friendly after a gruelling world cup and right before 2 crucial HEC games...the WRU need to be careful.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:34 am

Im sure that statement will go down well with the WRU, but its a fair comment. I cant imagine the regions are overly impressed with it either especially after all the legal wranglings they had obver the 4th AI which this in effect is.
The Unions do need to make money though. With poor attendances and small TV income from the regions the reality is the WRU is milking the international game and putting the focus there. My impression is the general Welsh public is much more passionate about the national side than they are their regions, which is perhaps a slight differnece to England where theres many club fans who see the international game as a sideshow.
The Welsh side wouldnt be as succesful as it is without the money these games generate for teh WRU. They woudlnt be able to pay for Gatlands 20 year contract, they wouldnt be able to send the squad of to training camps is secret military bases where they are pumped full of George Norths DNA, and they wouldnt be able to afford so many fireworks when the players come out the tunnel.
It is a ridiculous fixture which I dont see either side taking at 100% intensity. Some may unkindly suggest that Gatland is "getting his excuses in early" but I think hes just being honest here. Its an uncomfortable truth, and one the WRUI would probably rather get sswept under the carpet. They are hardly the only Union to think about how to maximise their income, I think we should be a lot less hard on all of tehm for trying to sustain and grow the bgame even if its ultimatly at the expense of the supporters. It clealry works, the WRU actually managed to make money last year and provided a decent team for the world cup.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:16 am

Pot Noodle Miner wrote:sounds like a negative approach by Gatland and if the players go into the game with the mindset of "this is a game too far" then i think the wallabies will run through us all day long, i can see his point as its come so soon after the world cup but you cant do anything about it now so the best thing to do would surely be to treat at as any other game and give it 110% and not moan and be negative about it

It could also be Mr Gatland playing the odd game with the Aussies, letting them think that Wales will role over like the Baa Baas did...!

More likely Wales will be giving this game everything to prove a point to themselves that they could have done better at the RWC.

Whether either side has the energy to do so we will have to wait and see. Its been a long year with a lot of games and we still have a whole rugby season to play.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:29 am

the players will need a rest at some point though and im wondering when that will be as they played the 10 - 11 season then went to poland for training followed by internationals through august - october and now they have another full season to play followed by a 3 test summer tour to Australia so theres not much time for rest really which is abit worrying, maybe the welsh regions will give thier internationals a break during their derby games over xmas and new years?
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:33 am

If tehy need a rest just withdraw them from some regional games. I think the "lack of energy" wouldnt be down to a lack of fiotness, it would be down to a lack of drive and enthusiasm for what is a friendly game stuck between to hard fought menaingful competitions.
Its ridiculous to expect the players to be 100% switched on and run themsleves ragged for games like this.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:46 am

I have been saying for the last few weeks that this is the most pointless fixutre and could effectively destroy all 4 of the Welsh regions' European campaings, and considering we've all got off to such a great start, is really, really not fair.

I agree with Stag's post completely. This match benefits the WRU financially and that is it.

Yes I understand they need to generate money, but not at the expense of the regions. They need european success to do well/attract crowds/get more money themselves, and this is effectively sabotaging them.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:02 am

rugbydreamer wrote:I agree with Stag's post completely. This match benefits the WRU financially and that is it.

Yes I understand they need to generate money, but not at the expense of the regions. They need european success to do well/attract crowds/get more money themselves, and this is effectively sabotaging them.

But the money that the WRU generate goes to the regions, that is why the regions are fine with the game. The regions have a good amount of strength and depth to all survive without the Welsh squad players, just look at the Rabo results from last weekend, the only Welsh team to lose was the Dragons, and they played the Scarlets.

It is a tough fixture list, but it is happening. As many good things can come of this as bad things.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Thu 01 Dec 2011, 11:51 am

17 tests in a year is massive. Did the RWC warm ups count?

Also what was Wales win/loss ratio during that period?

It strikes me (clearly with hindsight) that gatland used the 6n very well to blood players and Wales improved game on game in the tournament (didthye enter it having won 3 out of their last 13 games?). This was continued at the RWC. Ultimately, given the position that Wales were in at the beggining of 2011, the huge number of tests they played was actually very useful for them in both determining their best team and bringing on new players.

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 01 Dec 2011, 11:56 am

maestegmafia wrote:the money that the WRU generate goes to the regions, that is why the regions are fine with the game.

Judging by Nigel Davies's comments in the BBC article you yourself posted, the regions are not fine with the game.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 01 Dec 2011, 11:58 am

Meanwhile the Australians have been playing since the second week of February.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 01 Dec 2011, 11:59 am

Well I bet Wales arent feeling so smart about making the losers playoff now are they, they shouldve come home a couple of weeks earlier for a rest like Scotfolk.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 01 Dec 2011, 12:02 pm

A dig at two nations in one sentence! Good work!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbagesandbrussels Thu 01 Dec 2011, 12:12 pm

excuses in early boyos!!!!

cabbagesandbrussels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Dec 2011, 12:35 pm

exactly Lucky - the nigel davies interview was pretty clear. The regions, or at least the Scarlets, aren't happy about this fixture at all. Doesn't sound like Gat's is either. I understand that the WRU need to make money, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the players' well being or at the expense of the regions. The regions need to be supported, not sabotaged by the WRU.

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu 01 Dec 2011, 12:49 pm

Spot on dreamer. Scheduling this game on the same day as top of the table pro 12 clash and a week before the HC double header.. Headscratch It's just a crass money spinner for the WRU.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 01 Dec 2011, 1:04 pm

And Gatland reminds the rugby world that he may just be a useless chump after all by opening his mouth again.

Sounds to me like his made his excuses already if Wales get beaten. Wallaby
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Dec 2011, 1:16 pm

Blah blah Blah...! Amazing how much focus Welsh Rugby gets from cynical alleged English Rugby fans full of dismay forcasting doom and gloom, as per usual.

If Wales win convincingly for the next six months this will be seen as a successful victory over one of the WOrlds top teams, if not same old Wales, fall at the final hurdle.

I am sure that inside the Wales camp they are focussing on one game at a time, but the aim will be to win the Six Nations and the Aussie series in the summer, the regions will be to keep on doing well in Europe.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 01 Dec 2011, 1:17 pm

Was this game organised so that Wales could have paraded the Webb Ellis Cup? Very Happy Whistle thumbsup
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 01 Dec 2011, 1:22 pm

Blah blah Blah...! Amazing how much focus Welsh Rugby gets from cynical alleged English Rugby fans full of dismay forcasting doom and gloom, as per usual.

We don't have a game before the 6 nations so of course we're interested in the Welsh game.

I've missed the autumn internationals this year. Sad
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Dec 2011, 2:36 pm

Breadvan wrote:Spot on dreamer. Scheduling this game on the same day as top of the table pro 12 clash and a week before the HC double header.. Headscratch It's just a crass money spinner for the WRU.

Why is it Crass?

Yes it is a money spinner, undoubtably, but that money all goes to a good cause.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:17 pm

Maybe he´s doing it to show Shaun Edwards made the right decision. Look mate, you can speak your mind there and there´s no muppet with a sniper rifle in the RFU ivory tower looking to pick you off.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:55 pm

Gatland saying that this game will be Wales 17th this year, is this Gatland playing mind games, trying to lead the Aussie into a fales sence of security.

Or is he simply saying that if Wales lose, this is the reason why.

Of course if Wales do lose it will have nothing to do with Australia being the better team. Whistle

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 01 Dec 2011, 6:48 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Of course if Wales do lose it will have nothing to do with Australia being the better team. Whistle

No one has said that except you. We all know what a quality side the Wallabies are.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Dec 2011, 6:58 pm

Interestingly quite a few of the Welsh players on Saturday havent even played for their clubs this season.

its as if the Wales squad has been its own club recently

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Dec 2011, 7:27 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Gatland saying that this game will be Wales 17th this year, is this Gatland playing mind games, trying to lead the Aussie into a fales sence of security.

Or is he simply saying that if Wales lose, this is the reason why.

Of course if Wales do lose it will have nothing to do with Australia being the better team. Whistle
australia are ranked second to world champions NZ, Wales are ranked 8th. Australia beat the Kiwis in the Tri NAtions, Wales last beat them in 1953...

Obviously Australia are the better team...! It doesn't take the national coach to figure that one out. The rest of your post just praise's exactly what other posters including myself had said before you...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 01 Dec 2011, 8:06 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote: Meanwhile the Australians have been playing since the second week of February.

Be specific. How many tests and does that include the uncapped baa-baa's game? That is just me assuming it was uncapped.

I think Ospreys are due to play Munster during this period. That is not the best team to play whilst you are under-strength.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 01 Dec 2011, 8:09 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Gatland saying that this game will be Wales 17th this year, is this Gatland playing mind games, trying to lead the Aussie into a fales sence of security.

No. This is not Gatland trying to lull anyone into a false sense of security. He is stating a fact and when you look at our world cup opponents you should see why he mentions it.

majesticimperialman wrote:Or is he simply saying that if Wales lose, this is the reason why.

Doubtful. Could be a minor contributing factor if that is the outcome.

majesticimperialman wrote:Of course if Wales do lose it will have nothing to do with Australia being the better team. Whistle

Imbecile.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:43 pm

It seems i may have upset a lot of posters on here with my remarks about this game.It was not my intention to do that, but if Gatland thinks that this game is to mutch for his players, then surely he should oif cancelled the game.

I know the WRU may need the money but if any player/s pick up an injurie and they become unavalible for the 6ns. Then you have to ask was this game realy worth it.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:54 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:It seems i may have upset a lot of posters on here with my remarks about this game.It was not my intention to do that, but if Gatland thinks that this game is to mutch for his players, then surely he should oif cancelled the game.

I know the WRU may need the money but if any player/s pick up an injurie and they become unavalible for the 6ns. Then you have to ask was this game realy worth it.

No I don't think you upset anyone, you didn't really make any points. Did you read the other posts, you seem to have just praised everybody else's?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:43 pm

it is a long season and fair play to them, but they are looking forward to it (my inside knowledge) and certain players are looking forward to playing against their counterparts and to set the bronze final result right

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 01 Dec 2011, 11:47 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:It seems i may have upset a lot of posters on here with my remarks about this game.It was not my intention to do that, but if Gatland thinks that this game is to mutch for his players, then surely he should oif cancelled the game.

It is not Gatlands decision to make. If you had bothered to read the article and the contributions to this post then you should clearly see the question that you're suggesting we ask has already been asked. For weeks on end it has been discussed actually.

Doh
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 02 Dec 2011, 12:59 am

Fair play fellas, maj did a clarkson and fell on his sword, no need to Poopie on a man when he's down (unless it's England rugby fan)

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 02 Dec 2011, 1:04 am

welshy824 wrote:it is a long season and fair play to them, but they are looking forward to it (my inside knowledge) and certain players are looking forward to playing against their counterparts and to set the bronze final result right

Great to get a bit of insider information from you there mate...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 02 Dec 2011, 11:33 am

Gatts wrote:Fair play fellas, maj did a clarkson and fell on his sword, no need to Poopie on a man when he's down (unless it's England rugby fan)

Laugh laughing
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 02 Dec 2011, 11:49 am

Surely it is the number of games individual players have played that is more relevant?

Wales also boast about their fitness - I guess you can't have it all ways.......

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 02 Dec 2011, 11:54 am

Wales have played 16 matches compared to England who played 13, Ireland and NZ played fourteen.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 02 Dec 2011, 11:58 am

Someone earlier asked how many games the Wallabies played this year, here they are..

1 somoa
7 tri nations
7 world cup games
1 baa baa
1 to be played vs Wales

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Dec 2011, 11:59 am

Wales had two very easy games in the WC against Namibia (by far the worst side in the tournament) and a Fiji side that had given up.

It all evens up. I'm sure they won't use tiredness as an excuse when they lose.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 02 Dec 2011, 12:13 pm

OzT wrote:Someone earlier asked how many games the Wallabies played this year, here they are..

1 sAmoa
7 tri nations
7 world cup games
1 baa baa
1 to be played vs Wales

Same as Wales.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 02 Dec 2011, 12:17 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
OzT wrote:Someone earlier asked how many games the Wallabies played this year, here they are..

1 sAmoa
7 tri nations
7 world cup games
1 baa baa
1 to be played vs Wales

Same as Wales.

Eh? Headscratch

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 02 Dec 2011, 12:23 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

1 sAmoa
7 tri nations
7 world cup games
1 baa baa
1 to be played vs Wales

Same as Wales.

Eh? Headscratch
16 matches, one more to go...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 02 Dec 2011, 12:33 pm

Ah, okay. I could have sworn Wales didn't play any Tri Nations matches!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 02 Dec 2011, 12:37 pm

1 somoa
7 tri nations
7 world cup games
1 baa baa
1 to be played vs Wales

The tri-nations had been slimmed down to 4 games in world cup year, so that is incorrect. Remind me who is missing from the Wallabies again apart from Cooper? I know a few more got injured in the world cup.

Wales
5 games in 6 Nations
1 game Vs barbarians
3 warm-up games (Eng twice and Arg)
7 world cup games

1 to be played against Aus.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 02 Dec 2011, 1:07 pm

Oh... I thought it was bizarre how the ozzies had apparently played more than the ABs

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 02 Dec 2011, 1:34 pm

The point Gatland was making is that because it is a WC year Wales have played more games than in the previous 3 years,

On the other hand Australia have played the same number - so both teams are 'weary' but Deans in contrast hasn't highlighted this fact.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 02 Dec 2011, 1:39 pm

Isn't 17 games more than 14 games?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 02 Dec 2011, 1:48 pm

Oops sorry, yes 4 3Ns game, I added in the the exclusive Boks vs AB games..

23 Jul 8:00 pm Wallabies vs. Springboks ANZ Stadium, Sydney 39 - 20
30 Jul 5:30 pm All Blacks vs. Springboks Wellington Regional Stadium, WELLINGTON 40 - 7
06 Aug 5:30 pm All Blacks vs. Wallabies Eden Park, Auckland 30 - 14
14 Aug 1:00 am Springboks vs. Wallabies Mr Price Kings Park, Durban 9 - 14
21 Aug 3:00 am Springboks vs. All Blacks NMB Stadium, Port Elizabeth 18 - 5
27 Aug 8:05 pm Wallabies vs. All Blacks Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane 25 - 20

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next