The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up

+56
sugarNspikes
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
The Bachelor
slartibartfast
Big
gowales
unforcederrors
Ospreydragon
wrfc1980
ospreysboyo
Swperb
Gordy
welshy6
IanBru
eirebilly
flyhalffactory
Knackeredknees
offload
doctornickolas
sheephead
mckay1402
Cari
thebluesmancometh
Ifandorbut
ieuan
Morgannwg
Full Credit
fa0019
anotherworldofpain
majesticimperialman
munkian
2ndtimeround
glamorganalun
jimmyinthewell68
Adam D
samuraidragon
SubsBench
Dontheman
TycroesOsprey
Higher_Ground
pharmachris
RubyGuby
GavCanDance
Liam
mowgli
Taylorman
maestegmafia
Knowsit17
bedfordwelsh
asoreleftshoulder
formerly known as Sam
wales606
Smirnoffpriest
Luckless Pedestrian
Biltong
Pal Joey
60 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Who Will Win?

Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Vote_lcap13%Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Vote_lcap0%Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Vote_lcap13%Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Vote_lcap0%Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Vote_lcap31%Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 10 ]
Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Vote_lcap34%Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 11 ]
Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Vote_lcap9%Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 32

Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Empty Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:40 am

Saturday 23rd June, 2012
15:00 EST, 06:00 BMT
Allianz Stadium (SFS), Moore Park, Capacity: 45,500
Current forecast for Saturday: Fine, 7-15 deg. C
Sydney Radar (The ground is halfway between .Sydney and .Randwick on the diagonal)

Australia:
15 Kurtley Beale
14 Adam Ashley-Cooper
13 Rob Horne
12 Pat McCabe
11 Digby Ioane
10 Berrick Barnes
9 Will Genia
8 Wycliff Palu
7 David Pocock (capt.)
6 Scott Higginbotham
5 Nathan Sharpe
4 Sitaleki Timani
3 Sekope Kepu
2 Tatafu Polota Nau
1 Benn Robinson

Reserves:
16 Stephen Moore, 17 Ben Alexander, 18 Rob Simmons, 19 Dave Dennis, 20 Michael Hooper, 21 Nic White, 22 Anthony Fainga'a.

Wales:
15 Leigh Halfpenny
14 Alex Cuthbert
13 Jonathan Davies
12 Ashley Beck
11 George North
10 Rhys Priestland
9 Mike Phillips
8 Ryan Jones
7 Sam Warburton (capt.)
6 Dan Lydiate
5 Alun Wyn Jones
4 Bradley Davies
3 Adam Jones
2 Matthew Rees
1 Gethin Jenkins

Reserves:
16 Ken Owens, 17 Paul James, 18 Luke Charteris, 19 Justin Tipuric, 20 Rhys Webb, 21 James Hook, 22 Scott Williams.

Last edited by Linebreaker on Sun 24 Jun 2012, 3:13 pm; edited 14 times in total (Reason for editing : Poll Added)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Empty Re: Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:54 am

I heard that Wales had a training session with the Sydney Swans AFL squad yesterday. Practising taking the high balls, etc.

I think generally they have been quite safe with those but it doesn't hurt to see how the locals deal with taking marks under pressure. Good move, imo.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up Empty Re: Australia v Wales 3rd Test: Teams and Build-Up

Post by Biltong Tue 19 Jun 2012, 8:57 am

Good to see Beale back, it is amazing if you think 3/7 starters were injured for Oz, that is half their fire power missing.

We should see some better attacking nous from Oz
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:11 am

That's the frustrating thing, Biltong - in the first two Tests we weren't facing Australia's first-choice XV but they still had enough to beat us.

If we continue to kick away any ball we win, then there's no hope for us. Plus, Ken Owens has to come back at hooker. He did nothing wrong in the first Test to deserve being dropped (out of the squad entirely!) for the second. Our lineout was a joke last Saturday.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:33 am

I'd have dropped Matthew Rees all together for this one, but wouldn't be surprised if Hibbard misses out for those two penalties he conceded. Ken Owen has to start.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:45 am

Yeah, how many lineouts did wales lose, by memory it was 4 I think.

With Beale back in the picture, kicking to the back three is a lot less advisable.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 19 Jun 2012, 11:34 am

The whole lineout was a shambles, think Rees needs to take a bit of the blame but the jumpers/calls were shocking as well - at one lineout AWJ called, Rees threw and nobody jumped! it needs to be sorted.

Fingers crossed that Gats can curb Howleys seeming obsession with kicking.

It still seems mad that the Oz are playing Sharpe for his 4th test in what - 3 and a half weeks? and he keeps motoring on, and they haven't put Moore on either

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:36 pm

Im surprised Barnes is fit.

He plays 3 games (2 test matches) in a week, then he has to fly home to his wife who is in hospital giving birth, then he flies back to play Wales again - he then gets injured and has to limp off the field at 65 mins.

Will nothing stop this guy from beating us everytime he plays?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:45 pm

Moore came on late but hardly did much. He looked a little out of place almost.

Sharpe was sent the signal just before the WC that he would be overlooked when Vickerman's returned from injury and that must have been a difficult time for him. However, he did start in the USA and Russia matches as Oz played around with the locks. Then it was just about 'retirement' from internationals after the RWC - until Horwill's injury.

It must have been embarrassing for the ARU to have been forced to select him again in the starting line up for this series... but as you say Smirnoff, he always tries his best and keeps motoring on but has always appeared to be a bit of a 'gentle giant' to me - not intimidating enough (despite his size) in the Kiwi and Saffa sense of a backrower. Too nice a bloke really... not naturally aggressive... which is what we need coming into the BC and RC.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:47 pm

LB, not sure I agree with you there, I have always rated Sharpe, he is a hard worker and an honest grafter, I compare him to Juan Smith of SA, kind, gentle, modest, but as tough as nails.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:51 pm

Maybe I am being a bit harsh, BB... but is there room for kindness, gentleness and modesty in the modern game?
Lovely description mate. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:02 pm

Absolutely, look at Juan Smith, would you say his personality dtracts from him as a star player?

What's wrong with smiling and helping a player up after you just tackled the snot out of him just so you can do it again?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:20 pm

I would rate Juan Smith more highly but I can understand your point. Sharpey has served us well but he is in the twilight of his career.

Nothing wrong with chivalry on the sporting field - in fact I would like to see Timani wipe the mirror image of the sponsor's logo off Priestland's forehead with a clean Chux Super White... and say "Oooh... stand still...I missed a bit. There, it's all off now" Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:27 pm

Linebreaker wrote:I would rate Juan Smith more highly but I can understand your point. Sharpey has served us well but he is in the twilight of his career.

Nothing wrong with chivalry on the sporting field - in fact I would like to see Timani wipe the mirror image of the sponsor's logo off Priestland's forehead with a clean Chux Super White... and say "Oooh... stand still...I missed a bit. There, it's all off now" Smile

Where would he keep those Wipes though? Shocked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:31 pm

Good question. We used to have those inside pockets for a piece of sponge padding... remember?

Otherwise it could be like the cricket umpires. In this case a small dispenser directly underneath the ref's shoulder blades below the high tech gadgetry. OK

(Or for away SA games around Bruce's[sic] neck perhaps?) Oooops! Erm

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:33 pm

steam

I'm not talking to you anymore. Cry
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:43 pm

Oh kom on now. I'm only having a little fun h'yer... Smile

While you're about - what are you views on the elongated line of players extending the maul which SA have done lately?

I can see that it gives the backs more space but do you think it's a clever thing or maybe a little too clever?

I've noticed Wales U20 do it too. Is that here to stay or just a current fad?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:46 pm

I absolutley hate it and can't see the reasoning for it.

If you would want to do something stupid like tat, then fan out on both sides forming a V which the halfback can hide behind.

Why not just kick the damn ball?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:49 pm

I'm pleased to hear you say that. It was like tunnel ball... seems silly.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:52 pm

It being banned in the autumn under the new lawes (5s rucks)

I didn't like Wales U20s doing it, it all started with Saracens I think - then England and SA adopted it.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:56 pm

Our under twenties tried it as well and gave away two chargedown tries to Ireland, the proof is there that it doesn't work.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:01 pm

That's good news then, wales. It's not the sort of thing the game needs at all.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:05 pm

I wonder if it didn't originate from the maul, where your truck and trailer for want of a better description means your opponent is on the back foot and won't get past the elongated wurm of players in time?

Problem is at a stationary ruck everyone is springloaded to advance and not on the back foot.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:06 pm

Just learned my Mum will be at the game with her friend on Saturday. They have prime seats. I'll be opposite them (eastern stand)... not so shabby seats either but looking into the low winter sun. laughing

No doubt they'll be scanning the seats opposite with their 'opera' glasses.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:08 pm

You better be on your best behaviour then. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:11 pm

You know me. I'm always well behaved. angel

She's freaking out about missing the start of the All Blacks though. We'll have to move quickly afterwards... probably miss the first half.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:13 pm

LB, what time is it there by you now?

Must be close to midnight or 1AM?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:25 pm

11:25pm just watching the end of the Windies' innings in the ODI.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:29 pm

Ah, so you are 8 hours ahead of me.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:30 pm

Going back to the conga lines at rucks it was pointed out by an English commentator and former England Scrum Half one Austin Healey. That actually they are a waste of time. They give the opposition a clear indication of what you intend to do which gives them the chance to drop back and cover. They also take you 5m away from the gain line and still leave you with a box kick which is by it's very nature restrictive in terms of angles. You may as well pass it another 5m back to the fly half who can then wrap his boot around it with no angle restrictions.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:35 pm

biltongbek wrote:Ah, so you are 8 hours ahead of me.

Yes, that's right. You're 8 hours behind me.
What time is the JWC final on? How long from now?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:40 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Going back to the conga lines at rucks it was pointed out by an English commentator and former England Scrum Half one Austin Healey. That actually they are a waste of time. They give the opposition a clear indication of what you intend to do which gives them the chance to drop back and cover. They also take you 5m away from the gain line and still leave you with a box kick which is by it's very nature restrictive in terms of angles. You may as well pass it another 5m back to the fly half who can then wrap his boot around it with no angle restrictions.

Yeah, that is true. Sort of a self-defeating 'device' which gives the opposition time and space to organise and cover a box kick better under less pressure.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:56 pm

Linebreaker wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Ah, so you are 8 hours ahead of me.

Yes, that's right. You're 8 hours behind me.
What time is the JWC final on? How long from now?
For you it will be 03h00 Saturday morning.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:08 pm

Bugger. Might have to catch the replay tomorrow then. Good luck! OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:11 pm

It's not tonight LB, it is firday night, saturday morning for you
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:14 pm

Thanks for that. Just checked the guide and couldn't see it tonight. Slight panic. Friday is fine then.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:30 pm

Is this game on at 6 in the morning,FFS the wife will have a canary when I get up to watch it.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:31 pm

Which one?

The Aussie game?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:51 pm

Yeah its early morning KO UK time 6 or 6 30
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:02 pm

biltongbek wrote:Which one?

The Aussie game?

Yeah the Oz - Wales game,she doesn't really understand when I get up early to watch Ireland so when she finds out I'm doing it and they aren't playing,well I better keep the sound down and try not to wake her when I get up.The joys of married life huh?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:22 pm

Another reason to cut the long, pointless hack down to the back three. If Priestland (provided he starts) sends those down Beale's throat all afternoon Wales will be in for a torrid time. The least we can do is learn to start chasing kicks. The Aussies pressurise us on a great many intelligent stategic high balls and we haven't even been trying to return the favour. It's an area of the Welsh game that desperately needs amending.

Other than that it can only be hoped that the forwards will be up in Aussie faces more effectively and set some kinder platforms. On top of this possession needs quicker recycling, a task which Phillips has failed miserably at thus far.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:44 pm

Knowsit,

With regards chasing the kicks they could do a lot worse than watch the way Petersen and Habana chase for the Boks.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 6:26 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Knowsit,

With regards chasing the kicks they could do a lot worse than watch the way Petersen and Habana chase for the Boks.

Yeah, why can't our winger chase like those two. North and Cuthbert are very quick (and Cuthbert is 6"6'!), and Preistland can put a lot of height on a ball - but apparently only SA are allowed an effective kick chase :/
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:53 pm

Beale back is a bonus for the ozzies. Thought Adam Ashley-Cooper had played well.

Beale is an outstandingly talented attacking player.

I don't think Wales will make any changes.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:56 pm

Yes Beale back is huge for Oz. For me the best attacking player in World Rugby. This will make it tougher as he'll be bursting to go with the rest he's had. Love watching this fulla play.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:05 am

I think Hook will replace RP, Williams will replace Beck and Warburton may go to 6/8 with Tipuric at 7.

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:12 am

Mowgli

I can't see why Howley would make those changes. Maybe true about Priestland, he is not at his best, but Hook plays the same game as him and kicking from hand is no more accurate than Hook.

Phillips is more of a concern for me than Priestland. Mike is not on good form and that is a key to the difference between Wales in the RWC when he was and Now when he is not.

We need Phillips to have a big game, that releases pressure on the back line axis of 10, 12 and 15 who have to deal with the result of bad ball.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:24 am

Mike Phillips hasn't been bad, he just hasn't been good in the areas we need our scrum half to be good, namely speed of ball from rucks and box kicking. We shouldn't be surprised, he's never been good in those areas. if we want quick ball, we shouldn't be playing Phillips.

I wouldn't object to Hook replacing Priestland.

I would object to Warburton keeping his place when he doesn't deserve it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jun 2012, 12:06 pm

Can't see us winning this one, Australia by 8.

Interesting to see a picture Ryan Jones put on twitter of the team training and Hook was in the fly half position,
problem is Howley will expect Hook just to slot in at 10 with zero game time off the bench in both the tests.

Selection has been the problem and why we lost both tests.

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 20 Jun 2012, 1:51 pm

My team:

1. Jenks
2. Owens (Don't know why he was dropped in the first place!!)
3. Jones
4. AWJ
5. Evans
6. Lydiate
7. Tipuric
8. Jones (C)

9. Webb
10. Hook
11. North
12. Beck
13. JD2
14. Cuthbert
15. 1/2p

16. James
17. Hibbard
18. Charteris
19. Warbs
20. Phillips
21. Preistland
22. Williams

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next