The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced.

+29
Shane_Williams
gregortree
Ozzy3213
HERSH
gowales
BlueNote
Taffineastbourne
Luckless Pedestrian
BigTrevsbigmac
Liam
Morgannwg
whocares
samuraidragon
bedfordwelsh
TycroesOsprey
thebluesmancometh
Knowsit17
dragonbreath
Cari
RubyGuby
Cardiff Taffy
eirebilly
lauriehow
mystiroakey
majesticimperialman
Woodstock
Biltong
slartibartfast
maestegmafia
33 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Who will win?

Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. Vote_lcap54%Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. Vote_rcap 54% 
[ 37 ]
Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. Vote_lcap46%Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 31 ]

Total Votes : 68

Poll closed

Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. Empty Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced.

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar - 0:44

Venue: Millennium Stadium, Cardiff Date: Saturday, 17 March Kick-off: 1445 GMT
Coverage: Watch live on BBC One, BBC One HD, Red Button and online; listen on BBC Radio 5 Live and Radio Wales; text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles; watch again on BBC iPlayer

43 games won by each side

Wales have scored one more point against France than France have against Wales.

France

Poitrenaud - Fofana, Rougerie, Fritz, Palisson - Beauxis, Yachvili - Bonnaire, Harinordoquy, (Cap.) Dusautoir - Maestri, Papé - Attoub, Servat, Poux

bench: Szarzewski, Debaty, Pierre, Picamoles, Parra, Trinh-Duc, Buttin

Wales

Leigh Halfpenny; Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, George North; Rhys Priestland, Mike Phillips;
Gethin Jenkins, Matthew Rees, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (C), Toby Faletau

Replacements:

Ken Owens, Paul James, Luke Charteris, Ryan Jones, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Scott Williams

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 15 Mar - 23:01; edited 9 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. Empty Re: Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced.

Post by slartibartfast Tue 13 Mar - 0:46

I feel sick just thinking about it
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. Empty Re: Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced.

Post by Biltong Tue 13 Mar - 6:21

The big question is here, how good is this Welsh team really. Yes they have beaten all and sundry, but as someone has said a number of times, they have beaten the teams in the six nations which includes England, Ireland, Scotland and Italy a few times now since last year.

The catalyst for them moving forward and the road paved from here on in is where they will prove whether they are dominant in the Six Nations and that they can win against the historically better nations.

I don't pay attention to the rankings, that means diddly squat when you have beaten your next opposition only a few times in the recent history.

So history is against them, but then as I was explained to by Maesteg, this is the best position Wales has been in for nigh on 30 years.

It will be easy to suggest France will be too tough, even though their form has been pants over the last number of months, but it will also be easy to fall into the trap of the emotions of the Welsh fans.

This one is difficult for me to pick, it sure will be a close fought hard win for either team.

Who is at home? Wales
Who will be the most motivated? Wales.
Who will give it their all? Wales.
Will the french be motivated? Don't know.
Which French team will rock up? Don't know.

Who will win? I don't bloody know, OK.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Tue 13 Mar - 7:04

It is an odd thing here in the SH, especially in NZ. They have a completely different point of view on how great the French are. They seem to think that they blow hot and cold! Most would say they either paly goodor bad rugby. Wales have played bad rugby throughout the 6 Nations and have managed to beat everything before them.

Whilst France are highly regarded in the NH by NH fans and players etc I do not believe they are seen in the same way.

Wales and France are level in games played against each other, I also believe France are our main rivals and not England

2012 Wales will win the Grand Slam, anything in the future is exactly that in the future. Australia first and a win there would prove we are up there with the best.

Let's hope for a great game, let the Dragon be unleashed, we only have to prove ourseves to ourselves in my opinon. Let others make their own minds up it will matter on the field only.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 13 Mar - 7:34

I personaly think that France will win on saturday and spoil Wales hopes of a Grand Slam. It is not that i dont think Wales are not good enough to beat France they are, But France will want revenge for the loss to England last week.

I said this on another thread, Wales so far have not sparked into life and have just managed to scrape a win against all teams. Yes they are 4 from 4 wins, but if they do want to win the Grand Slam they will have to realy up their game against France. Can they up their game - Yes they can. BUT, Will France allow them to up their game? That is the question.

I do believe it will be a close game, it will go down to the wire, with France just edging it.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Tue 13 Mar - 7:41

Yup scraped wins against Ireland and england away. Just shows how poor the opposition must have been with JUST scraping along week after week.

Good enough for me and Wales as I see it.

CHAMPIONS 2012 .... WALES CYMRU Wales
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 13 Mar - 7:54

woodstock

Have just as a look at the IRB rankins.

England are 4th

Wales are 5th

France are 6th

Now if Wales win on saturday They will not move up in the rankins because France are below them right. Is that right? or do Wales move up to 4th?

You can only gain a higher place/rankins if the team you are playing is ranked higher than you, is that right?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 13 Mar - 7:58

maj- no you can move up- you just move up by less- its more about how far ahead england are- which isnt much

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Tue 13 Mar - 7:58

6 Nations Champions 2012 WALES ... CYMRU
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by lauriehow Tue 13 Mar - 8:01

From a Welsh fans view - England shot our fox! So come on Ireland. A win at Twickers and Wales beating France should put Wales 4th - or do i have it wrong?

lauriehow

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 13 Mar - 8:02

lauriehow wrote:From a Welsh fans view - England shot our fox! So come on Ireland. A win at Twickers and Wales beating France should put Wales 4th - or do i have it wrong?

Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. 3187153522

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 13 Mar - 8:12

I am still amazed at how badly PSA got his tactics wrong on Sunday and displayed a Kidney/Robinsonesq stubborness in refusal to make the telling subs.

As well as England played (and they did play very well) France seriously got the tactics wrong. Another display like that and its a GS for Wales.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Tue 13 Mar - 8:13

eirebilly wrote: Another display like that and its a GS for Wales.

It will be anyway Billy Yahoo
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 13 Mar - 8:16

Woodstock wrote:
eirebilly wrote: Another display like that and its a GS for Wales.

It will be anyway Billy Yahoo

You know that i have been saying since Wales beat Ireland that a GS would be on for Wales... That said, i have also said that France will pull out an Ireland v England 2011 performance on the last day to deny Wales the GS... Its written Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Tue 13 Mar - 8:20

Defence wins championships and ours has been pretty good so far. If we can hold them to 10-15 points I think we will score more and win. Until then I will be mainly feeling nauseous.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Tue 13 Mar - 8:31

We proved how good we were against them in the Semi Final, had we a full fit 15 and Warbs stayed we would have hammered them.

I see nothing to show that France have improved, to lose to a poor england side only makes my confidence higher.

Wales will make this the game of the 6 Nations they will gel for this game.

Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 13 Mar - 8:34

Seriously Woodstock, i dont often say this when speaking about French teams but for me it would be a shock if they beat Wales Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 13 Mar - 8:34

Woodstock wrote:We proved how good we were against them in the Semi Final, had we a full fit 15 and Warbs stayed we would have hammered them.

you are making an assumption there. You saw how france had the ability to pick up their game in the final.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Tue 13 Mar - 8:43

The French team look like a baa bass side at the moment, a bit disjointed but you know they can score tries if allowed.

I think Wales defence has got better but attacking worse since the start of the 6N.

There's alot of talk of how Wales have played poorly but still won - perhaps its time for Wales to click.

If you look at France home form - , won One, rDawn one, lost one - you'd have to think this should be a formality for Wales. But it's a compliment to the French players that people think they still have the class.

Head says Wales
Heart says France (nerves will play a big part in Wales's downfall)

Who's the ref?

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Mar - 8:45

Woodstock wrote:We proved how good we were against them in the Semi Final, had we a full fit 15 and Warbs stayed we would have hammered them.
So, your problems are with strength in depth and discipline?

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 13 Mar - 8:51

ok woodstock lol. wlaes will win however england are but a poor side

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 13 Mar - 8:55

slartibartfast wrote:The French team look like a baa bass side at the moment, a bit disjointed but you know they can score tries if allowed.

Jebus, never thought about it like that but you know, thats a pretty good way to describe them OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Tue 13 Mar - 9:00

Is it me or is gethin Jenkins getting thinner and thinner? Just hope he can keep up his scrummaging.

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 13 Mar - 9:07

Gethin looks to be getting stronger to me, more bulked up but loosing the body fat.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 13 Mar - 9:07

did you be any chance go from a tv to widescreen plasma, and been watching on HD?

The aspect ratio changes, they all look thinner. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar - 10:12

Surprised that a few of you see Wales' attack weakening through the championship?

I certainly don't think we are any less of a threat to the opposition it is just we played two teams who's game plan was solely defensive.

France don't play like that so it should be a good game.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Mar - 10:14

maestegmafia wrote:Surprised that a few of you see Wales' attack weakening through the championship?
Given that you were quoting Wales to put 50 on Italy I would have thought you would be a bit concerned about only scoring 2 tries against them at home.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar - 10:33

Cardiff Taffy wrote:Defence wins championships and ours has been pretty good so far. If we can hold them to 10-15 points I think we will score more and win. Until then I will be mainly feeling nauseous.

Sorry to hear about the nausea mate...! Might just have been a bad butty this morning? Not in Neath market are you?

Defence has been very good 515 tackles made in four games, 48 missed. Conceded 3 tries.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar - 11:14

No new news in l'equipe today. Bar that Chabal thinks Nallet is a good bloke. French announce their team Wednesday, mot sure when Wales announce theirs.

Wales are looking fit apparently no surprises post Italy match, France who will be playing their third consecutive game in three weeks in le Tournoi, a first ever in the six nations, are suffering with many injuries. The players have returned to their clubs on the off weekend. Very demanding on them compared to Wales who have been in camp since the HEC finished around the 23rd of January.

Comparing to the last RWC semi final between these sides Wales are only missing retiree Shane Williams and the injured Huw Bennett. France could miss up to five players from last weeks match.

The match is currently being stacked further and further in Wales favour. Tough similarly the opening game against Ireland, Wales were missing eight players and the odds were in the oppositions favour though we won through adversity.

Predictions are pretty even, expectations look to France picking a decent team this week and playing in the more encouraging way we know they can.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 13 Mar - 11:25

It shouldn't matter which french team turn up - It's time to live up to our billing - Any french team is a good side and if PSA gets the tactics right (for once) then we should see a good match as France will not come to solely defend and spoil which should help things as a spectacle. Wales need to play a structured game, go through the phases and they will win. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 13 Mar - 11:28

It should be a good match, important for wales is to maintain possession, these French haven't so far seemed interested in keeping ball.

They want to score quickly, if they don't they seem to get bored.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar - 11:33

biltongbek wrote:It should be a good match, important for wales is to maintain possession, these French haven't so far seemed interested in keeping ball.

They want to score quickly, if they don't they seem to get bored.

The French outside backs dislike tackling so much that they don't even show up on the missed tackle stats, they didn't even attempt to get there.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 13 Mar - 11:36

Bilton/Maesteg - If you look at the Tuilagi try the FB is almost walking across, he definately doesn't want to go and tackle the guy - Compare that to 1/2p the previous week. My wife and I watched that over and over and we couldn't believe it. I remember doing something similar as a FB when I was 12 and this monster from Swansea was bludgeoning his way to the corner. I just would not have expected it from the french in France thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 13 Mar - 11:38

Ruby it is called commitment, or should I say the lack of it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 13 Mar - 11:39

Something for the Welsh fans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3hFzpUq6w4

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Tue 13 Mar - 11:45

RubyGuby wrote:Bilton/Maesteg - If you look at the Tuilagi try the FB is almost walking across, he definately doesn't want to go and tackle the guy - Compare that to 1/2p the previous week. My wife and I watched that over and over and we couldn't believe it. I remember doing something similar as a FB when I was 12 and this monster from Swansea was bludgeoning his way to the corner. I just would not have expected it from the french in France thumbsup

Do you know what, I thought that at the time, Rougerie made no real attempt to tackle Tuilagi even when he had chased back and was in a position to do so. He just seemed to try and throw himself under his feet when it would have been easier to tackle him. He just Whisky it. basically. He is a big lad but If we run at his inside shoulder I think there are tries there.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 13 Mar - 11:49

That was a great 3 mins and 37 secs Cari thumbsup

Think my wife said something similar last night Run

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 13 Mar - 11:50

By the way, in my reference to me as a 12 year old FB for Neath v Swansea - I menat to say that I also botled it in case you thought I did an 1/2p - Things of course changed later on and I almost tackled Mark Ella in 1978 thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar - 11:54

Diolch Cari

Great tune

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar - 12:00

dragonbreath wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Bilton/Maesteg - If you look at the Tuilagi try the FB is almost walking across, he definately doesn't want to go and tackle the guy - Compare that to 1/2p the previous week. My wife and I watched that over and over and we couldn't believe it. I remember doing something similar as a FB when I was 12 and this monster from Swansea was bludgeoning his way to the corner. I just would not have expected it from the french in France thumbsup

Do you know what, I thought that at the time, Rougerie made no real attempt to tackle Tuilagi even when he had chased back and was in a position to do so. He just seemed to try and throw himself under his feet when it would have been easier to tackle him. He just Whisky it. basically. He is a big lad but If we run at his inside shoulder I think there are tries there.

I agree, Morgan ran through five or six poor attempts at tackles too, and who left that gap for Croft.

The French defence was appalling, they were embarrassing. But remember the same guys were very good in the RWC. Beaux is was not a good selection, Rougerie is not finding form, they could be missing their backrow from last week.

But I bet you they are a hell of a team against Wales in Cardiff. The new full back is a great player, the lads like Ouadrago and Nyanga are very talented and more athletic. Trin-Duc and Yachvilli will make a huge difference at half back. France will have a world class goal kicker.

This will not be an easy game.

Brilliant, I don't want easy games.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar - 13:47

Welsh rugby fans can sing their way to the top spot this weekend, as the Welsh Rugby Union has teamed up with Music Wales for the first-ever live Millennium Stadium recording, "The Voice of the Nation".

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/wales/news/wales/21606.php

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar - 17:24

Fly-half Rhys Priestland says Wales will have to improve if they are to have any chance of securing the Grand Slam against France.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17331622

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 13 Mar - 17:54

More confident now than I was over the weekend and I'll only get more so as the day gets closer. However I think we'll need Warbs for this one. If he's out I'll say it now it's a blow, one that can only be balanced by Dusautoir equally missing out. Personally I hope they're both fit and giving us a show to remember on the day.

Whatever the result on Saturday I'm sure others will join me now in saying that the boys have done us proud in getting to this stage, they have not dropped back into oblivion following a WC to remember, even when plagued with injuries back in week one, but have been consistant and continued in a vein of their WC form.

As it is we are guaranteed a top two finish, better than anything (obvious exceptions of 05 and 08) we've achieved in the past 12 years. We've breached the strongholds of Dublin and Twickenham and come away with the wins. That ought to be appreciated here and now, simply put it's far more than we've usually been accustomed to in recent years.

So whatever happens in Cardiff, heads can be held high at what has already been achieved.

Believe!! The Slam's coming home again in 4 days!!!

Cymru Am Byth Wales

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar - 17:56

Latest on Wales Online is

"Wales skills coach Neil Jenkins says the management team will give captain Sam Warburton as long as they possibly can to get to 100 per cent fitness before Saturday's Grand Slam decider against France."

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/03/13/neil-jenkins-says-wales-will-wait-as-long-as-possible-on-sam-warburton-fitness-91466-30524253/#ixzz1p1LkCOEP

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar - 17:57

Funny how pre Six Nations everyone doubted that anyone would be up for the Grandslam... Maybe they are right. I for one won't be taking the french lightly until after the final whistle... They have a lot of untaped youth talent to come in to their squad and some very good, rather ignored fringe players too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 13 Mar - 18:40

BBC Wales just reported that Warbs took a full part in training today and looks very likely to lead Wales out on the day.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar - 18:42

Knowsit17 wrote:BBC Wales just reported that Warbs took a full part in training today and looks very likely to lead Wales out on the day.

Thats great news, I am just watching the News now waiting to hear what is happening.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar - 18:45

I understand what people are saying about the Welsh performances not being top notch, but I disagree theyve been playing poorly, I prefer to think we've been playing clever rugby.

We went into the tournament as joint favourites didn't we, and away games V Ireland and England were always going to prove difficult. I think both teams were dangerous in different ways, Ireland wanted revenge for the last 2 outings, and England were always going to defend for their lives.

A 2 point victory was a great result against a very strong Irish side, and a 7 point win in Twickers is very good considering our record there and their first 2 games to ease them into the championship.

Then a 14 point win I'd take from the Scottish every time, and we have done a lot worse than 21 point advantage over the Italians.

Am I right in thinking we have only conceded 3 tries? This defence has given us a steely mentality, and if we pip the French by a point after being outscore 3 tries to nil I will take it! Thats the difference these days, results are the order of the day whereas in previous years we played our socks off and fell short, long may teams play well and fall short against us!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar - 18:49

I agree and if the game vs Italy had of been allowed to flow rather than be stifled by Clancy's interpretation of the breakdown then Wales would likely have posted a larger score similar to Irelands, and the public would have been heaping praise on the team.

Considering the circumstances Wales played very well against Italy, and a huge amount of respect has to go to the Italians excellent defensive effort.

Wales have been magnificent in defence, and have constantly pushed to create opportunities in attack, reaping the rewards in tries and most importantly wins.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar - 18:52

Apparently he trained twice today and yesterday but will still be monitored heavily by the Medical staff.

According to the Local 6 o'clock BBC news on BBC Wales

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next