The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unfulfilled Potential

+11
AlexHuckerby
fearlessBamber
Fists of Fury
Daz
Mind the windows Tino.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Scottrf
azania
DoubleD22
Rowley
The Boss
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Unfulfilled Potential Empty Unfulfilled Potential

Post by The Boss Wed 30 Nov 2011, 1:45 pm

Throughout the history of boxing there are stpries of fighters, who for one reason or another were unable to fulfill the career paths that many had thought they would in the early part of their careers. Whether it was a mental flaw or physical flaw that held them back. Or even a wrong fight at the wrong time of the career I.e Taylor vs Chavez.
Fans often speculate how Hearns could have been the best of the Fab 4 if only he had a cast iron chin and that's just a quick example I'm throwing in to get the ball rolling.
So I'm looking to know which fighters were held back from achieving their full potential due to one character flaw?
Cheers

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Unfulfilled Potential Empty Re: Unfulfilled Potential

Post by Rowley Wed 30 Nov 2011, 1:52 pm

Audley Harrison, if only he had any talent the sky could truly have been the limit.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 1:57 pm

Not unfulfilled as such as he still is only starting in the game, but Frankie Gavin seems to be throwing away some real natural talent at the moment. I really hope he gets his head back in the game because he has the potential to be something special.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:00 pm

Errol Christie

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:00 pm

Jeff if I had the ability to turn my lack of boxing skill into a few million quid I wouldn't call it unfulfilled!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:01 pm

If some of the old timers had modern nutrition and training they could have been great.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:02 pm

Scottrf wrote:If some of the old timers had modern nutrition and training they could have been great.

Greater

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:02 pm

Zab Judah. He never got over the Tszyu defeat but before that he looked a real talent.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:02 pm

The Boss wrote:Jeff if I had the ability to turn my lack of boxing skill into a few million quid I wouldn't call it unfulfilled!

It's depressing isn't it, there are countless things other than boxing such as football, singing and playing musical instruments I am still unable to translate into multi million pound careers.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:03 pm

rowley wrote:Audley Harrison, if only he had any talent the sky could truly have been the limit.

Wrong. He had buckets of talent, he lacked the gumption to put it into practice.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:04 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
rowley wrote:Audley Harrison, if only he had any talent the sky could truly have been the limit.

Wrong. He had buckets of talent, he lacked the gumption to put it into practice.
Empty talent buckets maybe.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:06 pm

Scottrf wrote:

Empty talent buckets maybe.

You're as wrong as rowley then.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

So I reckon Audleys a whole lot smarter than he would have us believe! If we could all make a living out of something we have no business doing then the country would be a lot better place.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Zab Judah. He never got over the Tszyu defeat but before that he looked a real talent.

He lost it towards the end but was undisputed welter champ at one point in his career.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:11 pm

Taylor against Chavez, lost it all after that horrendous beating.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:12 pm

azania wrote:Errol Christie

I was going to say Christie too ! Had everything - except the chin of an 8 year old.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:12 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:You're as wrong as rowley then.
When did he display it? The worst Olympic year ever? Plenty of Olympic Gold medallists do nothing as pros.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:12 pm

Sorry, should qualify that slightly, Taylor was of course ahead on the cards, but the relentless Chavez finally ground him down with brutal attacks. As for the legitimacy of the stoppage, that's a can of worms we've opened a fair few times too many.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:12 pm

Dazstarr wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Zab Judah. He never got over the Tszyu defeat but before that he looked a real talent.

He lost it towards the end but was undisputed welter champ at one point in his career.

He was always better at 140lbs. He just never seemed the same after Tszyu.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:15 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Sorry, should qualify that slightly, Taylor was of course ahead on the cards, but the relentless Chavez finally ground him down with brutal attacks. As for the legitimacy of the stoppage, that's a can of worms we've opened a fair few times too many.

Agree with this I don't really think it was the wrong time in Taylors career, and it's just a sad thing that happens sometimes, a single fight takes just about everything away from a potential greats career.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:16 pm

Scottrf wrote:
When did he display it? The worst Olympic year ever? Plenty of Olympic Gold medallists do nothing as pros.

Just because you don't think it was a vintage Olympics doesn't mean it was an easy feat to win it. Nor does your last point make any difference. The question was about unfilled potential, I would guess that pretty much every Olympic gold medallist who didn't make it as a pro could be described as having unfufilled potential.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:17 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:

Agree with that but don't think you can put Judah into this unfulfilled category due to him being a undisputed champ in his career.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:18 pm

fearlessBamber wrote:

I was going to say Christie too ! Had everything - except the chin of an 8 year old.

Have you punched many 8 year olds, Bamber?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:18 pm

Scottrf wrote:

Just because you don't think it was a vintage Olympics doesn't mean it was an easy feat to win it. Nor does your last point make any difference. The question was about unfilled potential, I would guess that pretty much every Olympic gold medallist who didn't make it as a pro could be described as having unfufilled potential.
No. The majority of amateur medallists don't make a successful transition, if they don't make it that doesn't mean they didn't fulfill their potential, it just means the Olympics aren't a great indicator of professional potential.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:21 pm

Dazstarr wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:

Agree with that but don't think you can put Judah into this unfulfilled category due to him being a undisputed champ in his career.

Lost to Clottey and Spinks he could have been a P4P top 10 guy imo. He looked special when he was young but it slipped away from him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:23 pm

Yeah - he was one of my favourites. Seemed to get it together during his comeback but it was too late for him. Then he blatantly quit against Khan. Havent heard a peep out of him since.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:24 pm

Paulie Malignaggi, at one point he looked like the quickest guy on the planet, he seemed to slow incredibly in the Cotto fight, if only the guy could punch harder than my grandma as well he could have been something special.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:25 pm

Got to agree about Judah, I remember when he first burst on the scene most boxing magazines were doing articles pretty much certain he was going to be the sports new mega star and a feature at the top end of the top tens for many a year to come. Seems a little odd to say a two weight world champion who has unified belts has fell short but against the predictions made for him in those days would be hard to argue otherwise.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:25 pm

Dazstarr wrote:Yeah - he was one of my favourites. Seemed to get it together during his comeback but it was too late for him. Then he blatantly quit against Khan. Havent heard a peep out of him since.

Just talks about how great God is all day nowadays.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:26 pm

fearlessBamber wrote:

Have you punched many 8 year olds, Bamber?

When I was 8 maybe Smile

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:27 pm

Scottrf wrote:No. The majority of amateur medallists don't make a successful transition, if they don't make it that doesn't mean they didn't fulfill their potential, it just means the Olympics aren't a great indicator of professional potential.

Depends on what you call a successful transition. They might not all make it as world champions, but that doesn't mean they are unsuccessful. Regardless of that, being an Olympic champion is still a pretty good indicator of 'boxing' potential, whether they make a good pro or not. In that respect, Audley had enormous potential as a boxer which he didn't fufil in the pro ranks. To claim he had no talent is wrong.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:29 pm

Scottrf wrote:No. The majority of amateur medallists don't make a successful transition, if they don't make it that doesn't mean they didn't fulfill their potential, it just means the Olympics aren't a great indicator of professional potential.

Depends on what you call a successful transition. They might not all make it as world champions, but that doesn't mean they are unsuccessful. Regardless of that, being an Olympic champion is still a pretty good indicator of 'boxing' potential, whether they make a good pro or not. In that respect, Audley had enormous potential as a boxer which he didn't fufil in the pro ranks. To claim he had no talent is wrong.
Well, if not winning a world title isn't an indication of failure, he was successful. European Champion.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:32 pm

Would put Riddick Bowe down as one who didn't fulfill his potential, decided to spend too much time eating on his world tour as Heavyweight champion, came in against Holyfield 2 overweight and lost. Binned his belt when he had a chance to take on Lewis.

Just in general think the guy could have been much bigger than he is, but seems to be defined by: Ducking Lewis, gettign schooled by Golota but Golota being DQed and the Holyfield fights.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:35 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Paulie Malignaggi, at one point he looked like the quickest guy on the planet, he seemed to slow incredibly in the Cotto fight, if only the guy could punch harder than my grandma as well he could have been something special.

I saw him first in the Cotto fight and I was more than impressed. Shame he didnt really do much after that. Quite a character though - like you say - shame he doesnt hit harder.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:35 pm

alma wrote:Roberto Benitez. 10 times Golden Gloves winner. I watched his pro debut in 2005 on FNF and the commentators were talking about his golden future. He looked sensational. 6 years later and he is 7-1.

Mystifying

Dodgy one that.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:36 pm

Dazstarr wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Paulie Malignaggi, at one point he looked like the quickest guy on the planet, he seemed to slow incredibly in the Cotto fight, if only the guy could punch harder than my grandma as well he could have been something special.

I saw him first in the Cotto fight and I was more than impressed. Shame he didnt really do much after that. Quite a character though - like you say - shame he doesnt hit harder.

Meant to say after the Cotto fight sorry*

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:06 pm

Darren Sutherland R.I.P.

Almost beat DeGale in the amateurs; lost more convincingly at the Olympics but he still got a bronze.

Had a style more suited to the pro's and could maybe have gone on to world level but unfortunately we'll never know
Unbeatable Georgey Groves

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:13 pm

Just to open up another avenue we have the likes of Valero and Ayala Jr who could have went all the way only for some serious mental issues. I agree with the Taylor- Chavez view there I just didn't have much time to state it earlier what I had actually meant. Cheers for the opinions lads.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:16 pm

Scott Harrison and the most obvious Nas!

Guillermo Rigondeaux could fall into this category his laziness is holding him back.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BOB1867 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:19 pm

First time posting an the site but been reading for months now.
One British boxer who i thought never fulfilled the talent he had; Kirkland Laing.

BOB1867

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:21 pm

What do you lot think about Roberto Cammarelle being in this category...

Great amateur record but never joined the pro ranks where he could have made a name for himself and after seeing him lose to Joshua in Azerbaijan recently I can't help but feel he is going backwards now and has missed his big opportunity

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:25 pm

BOB1867 wrote:First time posting an the site but been reading for months now.
One British boxer who i thought never fulfilled the talent he had; Kirkland Laing.

Perhaps Laing didn't quite fulfill all of his potential no, but was a guy that just could never win his bigger fights, just think he didn't have the mentality for the bigger occasions.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:25 pm

Also, welcome to the forum mate.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:26 pm

Just to open up another avenue we have the likes of Valero and Ayala Jr who could have went all the way only for some serious mental issues. I agree with the Taylor- Chavez view there I just didn't have much time to state it earlier what I had actually meant. Cheers for the opinions lads.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Unfulfilled Potential Empty Thank you. Great forum with an incredible amount of boxing knowledge

Post by BOB1867 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:31 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:

Also, welcome to the forum mate.

BOB1867

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:32 pm

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:47 pm

Benny Lynch- Lost his title on the scales to Jackie Jurich and still knocked him out and was finished by the age of 25. Could have been the greatest flyweight ever.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:51 pm

So I reckon Audleys a whole lot smarter than he would have us believe! If we could all make a living out of something we have no business doing then the country would be a lot better place.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:19 pm

Audleys a tricky one, because it's a tad easy to just throw him up to not having the actual skillset or the mindset, he is a bit of an enigma, but in my opinion his game was far more suited to the amateurs and he couldn't make the correct impression in the pros, not sure he actually underachieved, just don't think he was good enough at professional boxing, happens sometimes.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:45 pm

I know Alex im joking about Audley. Its all too easy to just make fun of him but there have been worse fighters especially in the heavyweight divsion but its just a case of Audley's mouth cashing cheques that his fists couldn't cash. And that leads to him being a point of ridicule.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next