The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IRB 7s - Scottish Leg Moving to Glasgow from 2013

Go down

IRB 7s - Scottish Leg Moving to Glasgow from 2013 Empty IRB 7s - Scottish Leg Moving to Glasgow from 2013

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Thu 01 Dec 2011, 5:14 pm

As part of the build up to the Commonwealth games in Glasgow 2014, the SRU have awarded Glasgow the IRB 7s for three years. This seasons event will be the last held at Murrayfield.

I think this is a great move. At the moment the Scottish Leg is seen as a failure due to the lack of crowds, however I think the lack of crowds is more of a perception due to the event being played in a 67,000 stadium. Last couple of Scottish events have averaged around the 30,000 mark, which is very similar to the numbers the Australian event had last week and more than a number of other events last year. Scotland’s problem is that it goes up against the English event, which is the exception rather than the rule due to the massive support it carries.

Scotstoun will hold 15,000 and a sell out or close to it, will generate a great atmosphere, temp stands are being built right around the running track, so the running track itself and the distance from the stands to the pitch will not be an issue.

Glasgow City Council have and are in the process of spending a lot of cash upgrading the pitch and facilities at Scotstoun, ahead of the move of the Warriors. I don't doubt that the Council are looking forward to hosting the Warriors. However I do think that a sweetener to spending the cash will have been the promise of the City getting to host another International Sporting event. With all the prestige and investment in the local economy that comes along with it.

With no location in the Borders (Melrose) meeting IRB requirements, once the move from Murrayfield was decided, Scotstoun was the only viable option.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down