The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotto v Margarito Result

+25
NathanDB10
BoxingFan88
aja424
azania
HumanWindmill
OasisBFC
Herman Jaeger
Scottrf
ShahenshahG
Haito
Bob
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
88Chris05
The Galveston Giant
Imperial Ghosty
KC
Geb85
Mr Bounce
Adam D
Captain Lucas
Strongback
joeyjojo618
School Project
KP4959
Lance
29 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cotto v Margarito Result - Page 2 Empty Cotto v Margarito Result

Post by Lance Sun 04 Dec 2011, 5:54 am

First topic message reminder :

spent the whole fight on his bike, hardly engaged at all. may have got the win, but didnt prove anything to me. margarito didnt have loaded gloves tonight yet cotto still didnt fancy getting near him.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Cotto v Margarito Result - Page 2 Empty Re: Cotto v Margarito Result

Post by Lance Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:51 pm

Scottrf wrote:Know how you feel, had a lot on Margarito too. Awful weekend of results.

problem for me was i had a few accumulators on, and had got everything right and just needed marg to win for quite decent money, was gutted. also i was watching with my friends from argentina who are all huge marg fans.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:54 pm

Tell them the Falklands are ours...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 04 Dec 2011, 3:03 pm

Lance wrote:spent the whole fight on his bike, hardly engaged at all. may have got the win, but didnt prove anything to me. margarito didnt have loaded gloves tonight yet cotto still didnt fancy getting near him.

What should he prove to you? That he can take a beating and come back? This is boxing where you're supposed to hit your opponent and not get hit. Why should he fight Marg's type of fight to prove himself to you.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 04 Dec 2011, 3:08 pm

Captain Lucas wrote:Margarito basically quit - he's a coward and wanted an easy way out. True Mexicano my a$$.

Now that's just being silly. The doc pulled him out. He didn't take a knee or something like that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Sun 04 Dec 2011, 4:29 pm

azania, I know.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 5:08 pm

2 blemishes on his record, both by cheats. At least one of them has been revenged.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 5:28 pm

Cotto put on a master class. He did the same thing in the first fight as the second fight, just chose not to trade much and didn't get tired. Anyone who thinks cotto was 'running' needs to understand what boxing is all about.

Margarito got hit with some really hard shots and got busted up.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by NathanDB10 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:09 pm

I for one think it is a massive win for Cotto, he fought the perfect fight IMO. Anyone who thinks he should have stood and traded with Margarito doesn't know boxing. Why on earth should he play to an opponent's strengths?

If marg couldn't close the distance often enough thats his problem, you only have to look at Margarito's face to see who won that fight, you don't get busted up like that if you don't get hit, or the other guy "is on his bike all night".

Cotto put on an immense display and showed more discipline and versatility than anyone thought he was capable of and deserves all the praise he is getting.

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 04 Dec 2011, 9:03 pm

Cotto fought the perfect fight, he was brilliant, planted his feet at the right times, head movement was perfect, footwork was brilliant, defense was fantastic, blocked against the uppercut and straight right absolutely perfect.

Some are saying he just ran, not for me, he just fought the perfect gameplan against as come forward fighter, Margarito was a muppet, why on earth he just followed Cotto I don't know, he never cut the ring off once. He let Cotto run rings around him. Full credit Cotto, I would have got the fight spot on but the bloody commision wanted Marg to see again, oh well eh?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:26 am

Wonderful performance from Cotto.

Both fights were absolute classics for me - if you didn't enjoy that last fight, you haven't got a pulse. 300 power punches in 9 rounds? Yes - it isn't Gatti-Ward - but neither Gatti or Ward are knocking on the door of the Hall of Fame are they?

Cotto stayed nicely on his toes all fight - I'd have loved to have seen him get some leverage and push Marg back - I'd also have liked to see Cotto test Marg's ribs a bit more before testing his beard.

However - to be fair - 82 shots to the eye area - Cotto promised a surgeon-like performance and he delivered well.

Many congratulations Mr Cotto.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:10 am

Well, to be fair Oxy, what Cotto was doing was workin perfectly, he just wanted that eye, don't think there was any other way he was stopping Marg in truth and think he wanted to stop him albeit on the bad eye.

Cotto was just so accurate with that left hook, he could barely miss the target with it, the follow through with the right hand was brilliant also, he was just so sharp and so aware of everything Margarito was trying to do to him he couldn't lose.

Took a couple of breathers at the correct times it appeared also, rested his head on Margs chest and wrestled a little bit but was clearly doing it conservatively. He knew it was going to be a high octane pace he was going to have to keep and he was in phenominal shape to keep moving then planting his feet for the power punches.

Kept his gameplan even when Marg was coming after him faster and then screaming at him "PUTA! PUTA!" he just kept to the gameplan. Masterful performance in all areas from Cotto couldn't have asked any more from him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:35 am

Great win for Cotto - boxed superbly. His gameplan was spot on - loved the way he slipped side to side under pressure. Very very happy he avenged his crushing defeat. He looked very emotional after the fight.

Thought it was a bit strange that after he just stood in the centre of the ring and stared at Margarito after the fight. Never seen that before! Guess he was putting his mental demons to rest and was overwhelmed by the emotion.

Good win indeed. Well made up.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:02 am

Dazstarr wrote:Thought it was a bit strange that after he just stood in the centre of the ring and stared at Margarito after the fight. Never seen that before! Guess he was putting his mental demons to rest and was overwhelmed by the emotion.

He said he feels nothing for him - and wanted Margarito to see him victorious, unbowed - and know that he, the Puerto Rican fighter had vanquished him.

It seems Marg and Cotto won't ever be friends.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:09 am

It was a historical moment for him. He had tears in his eyes. The first loss clearly hurt him immensely.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:40 am

Dazstarr wrote:It was a historical moment for him. He had tears in his eyes. The first loss clearly hurt him immensely.

And Cotto clearly believes Marg cheated him as well. He has every right to be happy.

Powerful moment - watching Cotto once he knew stand there victorious.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:31 pm

Lance wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Know how you feel, had a lot on Margarito too. Awful weekend of results.

problem for me was i had a few accumulators on, and had got everything right and just needed marg to win for quite decent money, was gutted. also i was watching with my friends from argentina who are all huge marg fans.

Well that explains your hate then! Listen buddy, you win some and you lose some! One thing we know for a fact is this: in a fair fight, Cotto beat Margarito up for 9 rounds.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:38 pm

But in prime for prime as we all saw, Margarito beat Cotto.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:40 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:But in prime for prime as we all saw, Margarito beat Cotto.

With a suspicion of illegal assistance.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:41 pm

oxring wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:But in prime for prime as we all saw, Margarito beat Cotto.

With a suspicion of illegal assistance.

Yup.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:42 pm

So, so happy Cotto won! I knew Cotto doesn't have the power to stop Margarito as so few do and I worried that Cotto wouldn't have the stamina to box clever with him and avoid the fight ending like the last one!

It's nice to wrong from time to time!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:44 pm

Agreed, albeit not the same version of the 2008 MArg I really thought Cotto was fantastic last night, almost a punch perfect display in my opinion.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Mon 05 Dec 2011, 4:25 pm

Prime for prime? The only difference in 2008 was the fact Margarito has thudding power. He was caught red handed in his very next fight with plaster in his wraps - are people forgetting that Margarito is actually a confirmed cheater? He had no power against Mosley. No power against Garcia. No power against Margarito a smaller Pacquiao. And no power against Cotto II.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Mon 05 Dec 2011, 4:25 pm

*No power against a smaller Pacquiao.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2