The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotto v Margarito Result

+25
NathanDB10
BoxingFan88
aja424
azania
HumanWindmill
OasisBFC
Herman Jaeger
Scottrf
ShahenshahG
Haito
Bob
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
88Chris05
The Galveston Giant
Imperial Ghosty
KC
Geb85
Mr Bounce
Adam D
Captain Lucas
Strongback
joeyjojo618
School Project
KP4959
Lance
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cotto v Margarito Result Empty Cotto v Margarito Result

Post by Lance Sun 04 Dec 2011, 5:54 am

spent the whole fight on his bike, hardly engaged at all. may have got the win, but didnt prove anything to me. margarito didnt have loaded gloves tonight yet cotto still didnt fancy getting near him.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Cotto v Margarito Result Empty Re: Cotto v Margarito Result

Post by KP4959 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 5:59 am

He outboxed Margarito and had the gameplan to stay on the outside, he won nearly every single round

KP4959

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:03 am

It's called boxing, not "fighting".

He boxed very well.

As for proving anything... he has changed the way he fights and utilised brilliant footwork with nice clean shots, rather than planting-throwing-moving. Nothing wrong with that at all. He executed a gameplan and out-BOXED Margarito.

It would have been foolish to stand and trade with Margarito given what happened in the first fight - hand wraps or not.

If you want to see two guys stand toe-to-toe, go out to any city centre at 2am and watch drunks walk out of the clubs.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:04 am

i didnt see him outbox him, i saw him running from side to side, wrestling and slipping away 90% of the time. hardly any action at all. i could get in the ring and run away from margarito for 9 rounds, didnt see much boxing at all. cotto was clearly too intimidated to fight him

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:05 am

Lance wrote:i didnt see him outbox him, i saw him running from side to side, wrestling and slipping away 90% of the time. hardly any action at all. i could get in the ring and run away from margarito for 9 rounds, didnt see much boxing at all. cotto was clearly too intimidated to fight him

No you couldnt.

How much boxing do you watch out of interest Lance?

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:07 am

joeyjojo618 wrote:
Lance wrote:i didnt see him outbox him, i saw him running from side to side, wrestling and slipping away 90% of the time. hardly any action at all. i could get in the ring and run away from margarito for 9 rounds, didnt see much boxing at all. cotto was clearly too intimidated to fight him

No you couldnt.

How much boxing do you watch out of interest Lance?

too much. just a bit disappointed i guess. really thought this was gonna be a great fight, and it was pretty dull.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:10 am

Lance.......go to bed like a good boy..........everybodys tired it's late.

Do your wumming in the morning.

Great performance by Cotto. Best exhibition of skilled boxing I have seen in a long time. Phenomenal footwork and great evasive ducking skills making Margo miss time and time again. Cotto showed all his talents and punched Margo at will.

Revenge was sweet for him.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:11 am

Not all fights are Gatti-Ward.

I suppose you didn't enjoy Marquez vs. Pacquaio or follow any of the Mayweather fights either?

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:14 am

Strongback wrote:Lance.......go to bed like a good boy..........everybodys tired it's late.

Do your wumming in the morning.

Great performance by Cotto. Best exhibition of skilled boxing I have seen in a long time. Phenomenal footwork and great evasive ducking skills making Margo miss time and time again. Cotto showed all his talents and punched Margo at will.

Revenge was sweet for him.

you're an idiot. just because i have a different view to you and probably the majority of people on this fight doesnt make it wumming.
cotto did very little boxing to me.
mayweather is one of my favourite fighters, as is dirrell, i got nothing against defensive fighting, but cotto spent whole minutes at a time literally running from margarito

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:23 am

What's pro boxing scored on? Clean punching, ring generalship, effective aggression and defense - and Cotto scored top marks in all 4. Isn't it funny that Margarito at a 153lb catchweight couldn't hurt Cotto!? Cotto just sealed his career, the guy is true great in my eyes.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:27 am

Captain Lucas wrote:What's pro boxing scored on? Clean punching, ring generalship, effective aggression and defense - and Cotto scored top marks in all 4. Isn't it funny that Margarito at a 153lb catchweight couldn't hurt Cotto!? Cotto just sealed his career, the guy is true great in my eyes.

couldnt hurt him because he couldnt get near him. cotto must have realised marg didnt have loaded gloves in the first fight, otherwise why fight so negatively

Lance

Back to top Go down

Cotto v Margarito Result Empty Cotto v Margarito Result

Post by Captain Lucas Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:29 am

Cotto finally gets his revenge after a masterful display against Margarito.

Isn't it funny that Margarito couldn't hurt Cotto at a 153lb catchweight after all of those shots he landed tonight!? Cotto said Margarito's punches clearly felt different.

It's time Cotto gets his props as a true great of this era. He avenged his suspect loss and his 1 legit loss comes to Pac - say no more.

Cash out Cotto - and thank you for such an entertaining and skilful performance!

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:31 am

Lance, why are you giving a cheater the benefit of the doubt. You sound like a moron. Cotto said after the fight that Margarito's punches clearly felt different. This was at a 153lb catchweight and not once was Margarito able to hurt Cotto yet in their first fight Cotto was busted up in the 2nd round. This is revenge. And it's sweet.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:33 am

Margarito basically quit - he's a coward and wanted an easy way out. True Mexicano my a$$.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:34 am

Captain Lucas wrote:Lance, why are you giving a cheater the benefit of the doubt. You sound like a moron. Cotto said after the fight that Margarito's punches clearly felt different. This was at a 153lb catchweight and not once was Margarito able to hurt Cotto yet in their first fight Cotto was busted up in the 2nd round. This is revenge. And it's sweet.

a moron?? what because i felt cotto boxed too negatively? take your head out his arse, you sound like a love sick fanboy

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:35 am

Captain Lucas wrote:Margarito basically quit - he's a coward and wanted an easy way out. True Mexicano my a$$.

i sorry, i didnt realise you hadnt seen the fight yet, take down your cotto posters boy, you aint a true fan after all

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:49 am

---HBO's Max Kellerman pulled no punch, saying he believes that this performance basically proves Margarito had a plaster edge in the first fight. "Obviously, he didn't have the same effect. We all know what it is." Max also said he thought the fight should have gone on, and that the plug was pulled early.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 04 Dec 2011, 7:05 am

Please try and give members of the boxing board the option to find out the result so close to the actual fight taking place. Just dont put the result in the title of the thread.

If it was UK time thats fine, but a lot of people might be wtching the repeat.

Just common courtesy please

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 04 Dec 2011, 10:09 am

The fact that the Doctors, not Margarito's corner stopped the fight due to eye damage showed that Cotto was busting him up, and badly.

Lance, if you think that repeatly punching someone in the face so their eye closes is "very little boxng" or it's "running from side to side, wrestling and slipping away 90% of the time" then you need to look again.

I've got a feeling you made up your mind that Margarito was your favourite and if Cotto did anything it was rubbish or against the rules. The better man won in my opinion.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Geb85 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 10:16 am

If cotto boxed like that against pacman it would've been a lot closer! Brilliant performance

Geb85

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:10 am

Yes clearly the fact that Marg couldn't see out of his right eye was due to Cotto running away rather than boxing his head off Whistle

Boxing - hit & don't get hit, Cotto did that to perfection last night.

I suppose you think he should have just stood still & let Marg hit him?

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:14 am

Captain Lucas wrote:Margarito basically quit - he's a coward and wanted an easy way out. True Mexicano my a$$.

One thing Margarito is not is a quitter, he battled away til the very end and didn't want the fight stopped.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:34 am

Looks like someone really wanted Marg to win.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:48 am

Dear me Lance, what the hell is all this about? Considering that Cotto apparently did nothing apart from run and never engaged Margarito, can I ask, did Margarito's skin cut itself, and did his eye take it upon itself to swell to the point of being little more than a slit?

Had Margarito as my pick in the prediction league, but am delighted that Cotto has proven me wrong. And he proved something to me, at least, that he can survive sustained pressure, something which has been a weakness in the past. Would like to see him retire now as I still don't think he's the fighter he was four or five years ago, regardless of this result, though I don't think he will. At least, though, he'll feel like he has some sort of closure regarding the Margarito question which has been hanging over him for the last three years.

Congratulations to Cotto.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 04 Dec 2011, 12:34 pm

What a stupid suggestion, why would cotto go onto the front foot and go toe to toe with margarito. Margarito is tough as nails, 3" bigger and weighed a lot more than cotto on fight night. Margarito is a brawler or inside fighter, his power punch is the uppercuts while cotto is a boxer puncher, his best punches is his lead right and left hook. Cotto needed to hit without being hit. He hit marg with good shots that hurt him and hit him on the inside when he needed to. He provided a boxing master class performance by using his advantages to the full and exposing margarito's weaknesses, his speed

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sun 04 Dec 2011, 12:54 pm

Captain Lucas wrote:

Isn't it funny that Margarito couldn't hurt Cotto at a 153lb catchweight after all of those shots he landed tonight!? Cotto said Margarito's punches clearly felt different.

Cotto is hardly likely to say anything that legitimises a loss when it can be dismissed by rumour.

Cotto didn't try and engage Marg like he did in their first fight. He realsied he wasn't going to bully Marg, so just boxed him at arm's length. Marg is not the fighter he was when they first fought, and he landed over a hundred punches more on Cotto in their first bout, which could explain things.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 1:59 pm

Cant help but think Pacman effectively ended Margs career. Battered him, and that eye looks knackered.

Not trying to take anything away from Cotto, he boxed very well indeed despite also being slightly past his best. Just saying that I dont know where Marg goes from here.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:03 pm

Cotto won the only way he could, simple really. He boxed with his head and didn't ebgage Marg as that's how Marg wants it. Cotto executed the gameplan terrifically. A well deserved victory for Cotto which ends the saga in the best way possible.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:05 pm

joeyjojo618 wrote:Cant help but think Pacman effectively ended Margs career. Battered him, and that eye looks knackered.

Not trying to take anything away from Cotto, he boxed very well indeed despite also being slightly past his best. Just saying that I dont know where Marg goes from here.

I doubt he will get a licence, he just about got one for last nights fight. His eye swelled up after only a couple of clean shots and a lazy jab, despite what he said i really doubt he could see. He would be a good fight for prospects as he always comes to fight and will put you in a situation you've never been in before. He would like to fight on but the eye is knackered and i can see a hard hitter like alvarez or kirkland really damaging that eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:06 pm

was a bit harsh of course, was frustrated by the fight.

but i seriously believe cottos hit and run tactics proved he was still aware of margaritos power, and therefore never really believed marg had cheated in the first fight. too much was made of cottos redemption, hbo even had a puerto rican commentator. too me the fight proved marg is still dangerous if you fight him and and maybe people have been way too harsh writing off his career due to the handwraps scandal.

cotto boxed smart fair enough, and proved like others have before that marg can be outboxed. but he was even more reluctant to trade with him than the first fight, so to me this proved marg didnt have loaded gloves first time around.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:11 pm

Either that or the lack of loaded gloves resulted in Cotto remaining in better shape for the rest of the fight. Normal punches take less out of you

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:18 pm

Doest prove anything Lance. Its just a case of Cotto used his head and was more astute in how to deal with Margarito this time round. Why stand and trade if you don't need to?.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:21 pm

You should have taken Strongback's get out of jail free card and pretended to be wumming, because the alternative is much worse.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:22 pm

Lance wrote:was a bit harsh of course, was frustrated by the fight.

but i seriously believe cottos hit and run tactics proved he was still aware of margaritos power, and therefore never really believed marg had cheated in the first fight. too much was made of cottos redemption, hbo even had a puerto rican commentator. too me the fight proved marg is still dangerous if you fight him and and maybe people have been way too harsh writing off his career due to the handwraps scandal.

cotto boxed smart fair enough, and proved like others have before that marg can be outboxed. but he was even more reluctant to trade with him than the first fight, so to me this proved marg didnt have loaded gloves first time around.

Sorry but that is all absolute rubbish, concluding that Margarito can't have used illegal handwraps based on the tactics Cotto used in clinically insane, he fought the many felt he should have done in the first fight and against Pacquiao, he stuck to his gameplan and it paid off.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:24 pm

The feeling that Marg could have over run him never wholly dispelled, but Marg never able to stop him in his tracks either with those jolting uppercuts to the body.

Cotto's new coach has instilled much improved movement and a new confidence. The man from Cuba deserves some credit. No swelling on Cotto's face this tyime.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:25 pm

if it took marg 9 rounds too hurt him with loaded gloves, surely if cotto believed he no longer had that advantage he would have gone after marg more. he boxed the fight he did because he was still very respectful of margs power

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:29 pm

Your point is what? The art of boxing is to hit without getting hit and thats what Cotto did, trying to find some hidden meaning in his tactics is absurd.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:30 pm

Yeah the intelligent thing would have been to stood still and traded, and that's especially proven when he won the fight clearly.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:31 pm

Herman has just explained it to you - those uppercuts to the body stop you in your tracks and slow you down. It might have taken him 9 rounds to brutalise him but fighters go to the body early to slow an opponent down. Loaded gloves add more hurt and sap your stamina. I'm not saying that he definately did have loaded gloves - although I suspect so - just that you can't tell either way.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:31 pm

No he boxed the way he did because he knew he had the tools in his locker to outbox Marg. Standing toe-to-toe is Marg's type of fight why fight to your opponents strength and make things more difficult for yourself. Cotto's boxing ability is on another level than Margerito's. He simply utilised the ability he has and Marg lacks.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:32 pm

Lance wrote:if it took marg 9 rounds too hurt him with loaded gloves, surely if cotto believed he no longer had that advantage he would have gone after marg more. he boxed the fight he did because he was still very respectful of margs power

He boxed that way because it was the easiest way for him to win. I don't think it was because of his power that he didn't engage. He didn't engage as marg is a better fighter on the inside and cotto had the speed advantage. When marg caught cotto in the first fight, cotto was visibly hurt with pretty much every shot especially the body shots. Marg landed decent body shots to cotto last night and cotto took them a lot better and they didn't seem to hurt him

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:34 pm

i didnt see the fight, but run or not run he sounds like he boxed the perfect fight to get the W.

a wins a win.

and this time his kids dont have to see daddy get his face turned into a bloody mush.

well done cotto.

marg - retire.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:34 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Your point is what? The art of boxing is to hit without getting hit and thats what Cotto did, trying to find some hidden meaning in his tactics is absurd.

Scottrf wrote:Yeah the intelligent thing would have been to stood still and traded, and that's especially proven when he won the fight clearly.

Very difficult to argue with these, in my opinion.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:37 pm

Lance wrote:if it took marg 9 rounds too hurt him with loaded gloves, surely if cotto believed he no longer had that advantage he would have gone after marg more. he boxed the fight he did because he was still very respectful of margs power

You are missing the point about the first fight that is a universal truth. Cotto couldn't hurt him. Even when planting his feet and teeing off, Marg just smiled. It's a lot more tiring to throw bombs, and when they have no effect and you have stamina issues you get on the balls of your feet and box.

Nothing to do with what was coming back.

Next boxing mystery "Why didn't Lewis go toe to toe withTua?"

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:38 pm

Scottrf wrote:You should have taken Strongback's get out of jail free card and pretended to be wumming, because the alternative is much worse.

you can be so hurtful sometimes scottfr.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:42 pm

Bob wrote:

You are missing the point about the first fight that is a universal truth. Cotto couldn't hurt him. Even when planting his feet and teeing off, Marg just smiled. It's a lot more tiring to throw bombs, and when they have no effect and you have stamina issues you get on the balls of your feet and box.

Nothing to do with what was coming back.

Next boxing mystery "Why didn't Lewis go toe to toe withTua?"

maybe you are right. but least that gives an ounce of respect to marg. too much hatred for him on here is clouding the issues. i think marg battered him fairly first fight, and now ive watched it again i see cotto outboxed him second fight. its too easy for the cotto fanclub to just dismiss the first fight now and say, he must have cheated, look at our guys face this time.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:46 pm

Lance wrote:
Scottrf wrote:You should have taken Strongback's get out of jail free card and pretended to be wumming, because the alternative is much worse.

Your criticising him for overcoming his problems from the first fight and boxing to a gameplan.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:48 pm

Who has said "he must have cheated"?. Its simply been stated why Cotto didn't stand and have a toe-to-toe brawl with Margwerito this time round. If anybody is been disrespectful its you. For not respecting Cotto's quality lastnite.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:48 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Lance wrote:

Your criticising him for overcoming his problems from the first fight and boxing to a gameplan.

yeah, i admitted i was harsh. was drunk with lots of money resting on margarito. watched it again and i think cotto boxed well, but i believe he was still very respectful of margs ability to hurt him, and i dont believe cotto really believes marg cheated first time

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:49 pm

Know how you feel, had a lot on Margarito too. Awful weekend of results.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next