The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Luke Charteris To Perpignan

+7
bedfordwelsh
gowales
Notch
Impossible Standards
Smirnoffpriest
Luckless Pedestrian
Londonwelsh
11 posters

Go down

Luke Charteris To Perpignan Empty Luke Charteris To Perpignan

Post by Londonwelsh Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:52 am

Just saw this Tweet on Twitter from Scrum V's Ross Harries

"Looks as though Luke Charteris is on his way to Perpignan. Big blow for the Dragons..."

Any thoughts Dragons fans ?

Wales and Dragons lock Luke Charteris has agreed to join French side Perpignan, according to reports in France.

The giant second row, one of Wales' stand-out players during their progress to the semi-finals of the Rugby World Cup, will join James Hook in the south of France after signing a three-year deal with the Top 14 club, local newspaper L'Independant has reported.

The signing will come as a blow to Dragons, where the 28-year-old 6ft 10in forward has played his rugby since 2003.

The French side, who are in the same Amlin Cup group as the Dragons and count French internationals Nicolas Mas, Maxime Mermoz and David Marty among their ranks, have endured a terrible start to the season, currently languishing two places off the bottom of the table after losing to fellow strugglers Lyon yesterday.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/12/05/luke-charteris-to-leave-dragons-for-perpignan-say-reports-in-france-91466-29897386/#ixzz1ff6XeQ2Z

Last edited by Adam D on Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added in story from Wales online)
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Luke Charteris To Perpignan Empty Re: Luke Charteris To Perpignan

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:56 am

First thought: feck.

Second thought: I'll wait for something more substantial than a tweet before I believe it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:59 am

I thought I heard somebody mention this on a thread around 3 weeks ago, but it came from a Western Mail story with little hard facts and vaguely mentioned the summer. But I haven't heard anything myself one way or another - where's your source LondonWelsh as it would be interesting to read up on it

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:04 pm

http://www.espnscrum.com/france-top-14-2011-12/rugby/story/155602.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

To be honest I didn't think he would stay but Perpignan are in real trouble and could be relegated so he wouldn't be in Wales as Gatland likes and also won't be playing HC rugby by the way things are going? Seems a strange move for him, unless it's all about the £££'s
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonwelsh Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:04 pm

Smirnoffpriest
It's a tweet from Ross Harries who presents Scrum V. There's nothing on BBC website but there is this.

http://www.espnscrum.com/france-top-14-2011-12/rugby/story/155602.html
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:07 pm

It's all over the French rugby press apparently. Looks a done deal.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonwelsh Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:24 pm

Notch wrote:It's all over the French rugby press apparently. Looks a done deal.

That's what the Western Mail are now saying
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/12/05/luke-charteris-to-leave-dragons-for-perpignan-say-reports-in-france-91466-29897386/
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:01 pm

This is what Planet Rugby has to say - http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_7354176,00.html

Seems a strange move as he won't be in the HEC (probably) and the timing of it as he's just had surgery and will be out for 5 months. Hopefully he doesn't as he's been the cornerstone of the Dragons team and has just secured his place in the Welsh team.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:03 pm

In fairness, he probably won't be in the Heineken Cup with the Dragons either. Crying or Very sad

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:08 pm

Old news gents! I broke this mid November, as discussed on the Dragons fans site:

https://www.606v2.com/t18318-charteris-to-perpignan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:10 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:This is what Planet Rugby has to say - http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_7354176,00.html

Seems a strange move as he won't be in the HEC (probably) and the timing of it as he's just had surgery and will be out for 5 months. Hopefully he doesn't as he's been the cornerstone of the Dragons team and has just secured his place in the Welsh team.

I wouldn't say cornerstone Smironoff, more the middle brick in a three row wall! We really could do with a decent conrnerstone though (tighthead prop).

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:12 pm

Can't really blame him for looking out for his financial future, hes been underrated and ridiculed in the past by Welsh fans. A chance for some young Welsh talent to come through then.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:27 pm

Can't blame him - and I stand corrected in my analogy Griff (I'm sure he's pleased at being described as a middle brick)

But it's a shame, especially as the Dragons are beginning to build a good side and A Jones is looking really good and could have learnt a bit more off Luke.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:32 pm

He's out for the next 4 months so cant see him going anywhere this season
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:37 pm

The storys saying next season Bedford - but I'm still suprised that they're apparently going to announce it now while he's injured and (prob) cant pass a medical

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 2:12 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Can't blame him - and I stand corrected in my analogy Griff (I'm sure he's pleased at being described as a middle brick)

But it's a shame, especially as the Dragons are beginning to build a good side and A Jones is looking really good and could have learnt a bit more off Luke.

I was just trying to be funny smirnoff! Props are usually described as the 'cornerstone of the scrum', so I saw Luke as a second row (of the wall)!

Anyway, he will be a big loss. He's really come on in the last few years. However, I don't begrudge him going as he's been at Rodney Parade for 10 or so years, through some really rough times, and he's had opportunities to leave in the past and has stayed. I wish him all the best and hope he's able to combine Wales duty with overseas club play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 2:20 pm

I know - I did appreciate the joke - just was rushing my post and it obviously didn't come across that way!

Yup he seems a nice guy to boot Griff - at least the 2 times I've had a brief hello off him in person.

I'm worried that he'll be frozen out again for leaving Wales - which will be a big loss.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 2:26 pm

That would be a huge loss and would really test Gatland's selection policy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 2:30 pm

Yeah, seems like a great guy. I know there's no specific 'Gatland law', he'll pick overseas if he can and if he needs too, but I get the feeling that Gatland could replace him fairly easily with players in Wales, which is a shame as he may be frozen out as you say. With Ian Evans back to some form and injury free, Ryan Jones perhpas frozen out of the back row and having a few decent games in the second row, suddenly we've got a little bit of depth at lock. However, on form Charteris has got to start for Wales so if he's not picked due to playing in France then we'll be weakening the team IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 2:44 pm

It'll be interesting to see if he can get any sort of extra release over and above the int window - but I doubt it as he wouldn't be a marque signing. Big loss to Wales though (both international and regionally). One positive is that I Evans looked good against Oz, I just hope he can keep it up and maybe continue to improve

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 05 Dec 2011, 2:52 pm

hope for Charteris (and hook) that USAP is still in the Top 14 come next season... not straightforward as I dont think Biarritz will stay last forever now so the relegation fight will be between Perpignan, Lyon, Bordeaux-Begles and Brive .

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 05 Dec 2011, 3:10 pm

Oh FFS - how did we not hang on to him ?

Less of a blow than losing Faletau or Lydiate I guess but he was an inspiring figure and a much better Captain than Ashley Smith.

Burns for Captain ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Mon 05 Dec 2011, 5:20 pm

Terrible if this is true, absolutely gutting.

Seems to be no young locks coming through in the region either, stupid letting Pailor and Brown go last season.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 05 Dec 2011, 6:53 pm

Reading text earlier it says Perp are one of a few clubs interested but he could also stay at the Dragons, so hopefully the last bit is right
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 05 Dec 2011, 7:01 pm

He is in negotiations with the Dragons regarding a new contract.
How often have we heard that other clubs are interested when players are trying to secure a better deal.
It's a ploy thats been used countless times in the past.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 05 Dec 2011, 7:07 pm

Have mentioned before that the one thing we (Dragons) now have going for us is that despite injury Luke is seen as 1st choice now.

Until the WC he was always just a squad player but the difficulty players are having in France and England when it comes to availability might make him think twice about jumping ship.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down