The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyson / UFC

+8
azania
Adam D
AlexHuckerby
joeyjojo618
Steffan
88Chris05
Scottrf
huw
12 posters

Go down

Tyson / UFC Empty Tyson / UFC

Post by huw Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:16 pm

Maybe it is just me but have you ever noticed that Tyson fans (as in fans that only know anything about Tyson) are usually the same people that watch UFC.

huw

Back to top Go down

Tyson / UFC Empty Re: Tyson / UFC

Post by Scottrf Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:20 pm

Spoiler:

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:21 pm

Not entirely sure, although I have heard quite a few of Tyson's more obsessive fans claim that in his 'prime' he could have switched over to UFC without any MMA training or any knowledge of ground game and knock out anyone who ever set foot in the octagon. Not they'd ever overestimate just how good a fighter Tyson was in his fabled 'prime', of course.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:29 pm

Cant say iv noticed this although I dont frequent MMA forums very often

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:31 pm

Spoiler:

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:32 pm

Spoiler:

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:36 pm

Steffan wrote:Cant say iv noticed this although I dont frequent MMA forums very often

You should, great place to find young men who like cuddling.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:39 pm

huw wrote:
Steffan wrote:Cant say iv noticed this although I dont frequent MMA forums very often

You should, great place to find young men who like cuddling.
http://eastsideboxing.wikia.com/wiki/Mixed_Martial_Arts_(MMA)

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:41 pm

As someone who is a fan of boxing and judo I thought I would like MMA but you very really see and great boxing or judo its normally just a mix and match of everything. I get bored when I watch it as well

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:46 pm

Steffan wrote:As someone who is a fan of boxing and judo I thought I would like MMA but you very really see and great boxing or judo its normally just a mix and match of everything. I get bored when I watch it as well

The thing is though Steffan, we rarely see great boxing in boxing!

Some MMA is good, I just don't 'get' the cuddling and rolling on the floor bit.

The UFC is very strange though. The fact their champ was a former WWE wrestler who was able to win because he was big and fast just sums it up for me.

Don't think there'll be a time in boxing when someone comes into the sport after having a long career in another to become heavyweight champ. I'd guess the closest is Matt Skelton.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:47 pm

MMA is a bit boring in my opinion, too much rolling around on the floor malarky for my taste, not saying there aren't ocassionally a few decent fights, but I've tried to get into it, but just can't.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:49 pm

huw wrote:
Steffan wrote:As someone who is a fan of boxing and judo I thought I would like MMA but you very really see and great boxing or judo its normally just a mix and match of everything. I get bored when I watch it as well

The UFC is very strange though. The fact their champ was a former WWE wrestler who was able to win because he was big and fast just sums it up for me.

Don't think there'll be a time in boxing when someone comes into the sport after having a long career in another to become heavyweight champ. I'd guess the closest is Matt Skelton.

You're right Vitali Klitschko doesn't exist.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:50 pm

huw wrote:

Or Vitali Klitschko.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:53 pm

huw wrote:

He hasnt been the champ for a long time.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:55 pm

Fans in MMA like the so called stand up which is essentially unskilled boxing (like oldies). Dry humpinf your opponent on the mat doesn't get their juices flowing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:03 pm

I think "GSP" is one of there best fighters, but all he seems to do is roll around.

I must be honest, UFC for me just doesn't cut it, the standup is just poor boxing/kickboxing skills and the floor stuff is just a tad homoerotic for even my tastes...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:04 pm

azania wrote:Fans in MMA like the so called stand up which is essentially unskilled boxing (like oldies). Dry humpinf your opponent on the mat doesn't get their juices flowing.

What an ignorant comment on so many levels.

The stand up is nothing like unskilled boxing - its muay thai which is kick boxing.

And dry humping on the floor is just plain stupid. Its about trying to get a tactical position to either reign down punches or submit them.

If you really believe that combat sports should be all out attacks, why do boxing matches last 12 rounds and not end in 1st round knock outs every time? its down to tactical positionng to hit your opponent. Same with the ground game in MMA.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:06 pm

Scottrf wrote:
huw wrote:

Or Vitali Klitschko.

Vitali came into boxing at 25 / 26 years old though. He had also boxed amateur prior to this I believe.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:08 pm

Adam D wrote:

He hasnt been the champ for a long time.

But he came from nowhere (MMA wise) and won the title in his first fight.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:08 pm

Yes Huw but Wrestling is a big factor in the UFC also, so the point was a bit invalid.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:08 pm

I'm a Tyson fan to an extent....He made Boxing much more popular in his day!!.....and I hate UFC.....

Seeing as Tyson was the most popular Boxer on the planet then one would think UFc would be a bigger sport...

Less of the moronic statements please..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:09 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Yes Huw but Wrestling is a big factor in the UFC also, so the point was a bit invalid.

You have a good point Alex and maybe as this is the part of UFC I really don't understand, I'm being a little harsh on him.

Could you see it happening in boxing though?

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:09 pm

Adam D wrote:
azania wrote:Fans in MMA like the so called stand up which is essentially unskilled boxing (like oldies). Dry humpinf your opponent on the mat doesn't get their juices flowing.

What an ignorant comment on so many levels.

The stand up is nothing like unskilled boxing - its muay thai which is kick boxing.

And dry humping on the floor is just plain stupid. Its about trying to get a tactical position to either reign down punches or submit them.

If you really believe that combat sports should be all out attacks, why do boxing matches last 12 rounds and not end in 1st round knock outs every time? its down to tactical positionng to hit your opponent. Same with the ground game in MMA.

I disagree. Its not an ignorant comment. The stand up is not as skilled as pro boxing. The best stand up MMA practioner is Anderson Silva. He wont stand a chance against any top 20 pro. Top 50 even.

As for the ground game, yes it is skilled. GSP is probably the best but he hardly sets pulses racing. I'm not saying they are'nt skilled at what they do. Obviously they are. But from a fans perspective, they want blood and guts. The most famous MMA fight was the final of TUF1 with Bonner and Griffin. It was a slugfest. The crowd loved it. It rescued the UFC as a company.

But in terms of boxing skill, it was terrible.

Put any boxer however good into the octagon and he will get slaughtered in 30 seconds.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm a Tyson fan to an extent....He made Boxing much more popular in his day!!.....and I hate UFC.....

Seeing as Tyson was the most popular Boxer on the planet then one would think UFc would be a bigger sport...

Less of the moronic statements please..

But Truss, you are not just a Tyson fan. You know a hell of a lot about Brit's that weren't quite good enough as well Wink

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:14 pm

I agree with Azania...the money is in boxing for top fighters not UFC....the reason these muppets kiss on the canvas and slap is because they haven't the skill of Boxers..

Girls kick..

Who was that laughing stock you had from martail arts oh yes Pele Reid!!..remember him..

There is a reason Kimbo went to UFC..

Fisticuffs is for gentlemen....sewer rats go into ufc..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:the reason these muppets kiss on the canvas and slap is because they haven't the skill of Boxers..

sewer rats go into ufc..

Speak your mind Truss...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:20 pm

Do you train? Or just like the sport? If so - which club?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:25 pm

I think we're being far too harsh on the UFC here, they have there own set of skills in there own set of rules. No doubt they aren't as skilled in terms of punching like boxers are and also in terms of kicking they aren't as good as professional kickboxers are either however they have a variety of things they have to get to a certain level. This isn't the case in boxing as it is a more specific game, there is a lot more variety in MMA.

With someone like Brock Lesnar for example he was an extremely good wrestler that also got a very undeserved HW title shot and he managed to win it using his wrestling skills and practising other areas and managed to utilise his gameplan to win using his size and strength. There's nothing out of the ordinary with this, Mayweather for example uses his physical skills like his sublime reflexes to win fights of course combined with an incredible amount of boxing skill. Whereas Lesnar used size and strength coupled with a good level of wrestling skills.

Not really that out of the ordinary.

Last edited by AlexHuckerby on Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:26 pm

oxring wrote:

Do you train? Or just like the sport? If so - which club?

Used to train a bit at a club by me. Long time ago though. My brother did it as well so iv mainly only been involved in mess about contests. Just watch it nowadays in the Olympics or Commonwealth games. I find it very entertaining to watch. I still know a few moves mind and my triangle choke is legendary down the local when we act like normal 30 year old do Laugh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:27 pm

There's a commonwealth tournament in January in Cardiff next year. Tickets practically free/very very cheap. Go watch!
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:28 pm

Steffy nice to see you back.....Just something abhorrent and class-less about this so-called sport.....

Getting someone on the floor and hitting him just doesn't seem right...

Not a sport for gentleman..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:30 pm

Boxing isn't exactly the most gentleman of sports either... It's hardly bowls.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:31 pm

Is Roger Federer any good at badmington?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:31 pm

oxring wrote:There's a commonwealth tournament in January in Cardiff next year. Tickets practically free/very very cheap. Go watch!

Might do that. Will add my 11 year old niece became a black belt in Shotokan Karate on the weekend. She dont get it from me I know that much Very Happy .

I know its totally different as it involves swords but I always fancied taking up Kendo. Really expensive though. Maybe after my student days are over (will be 77 when I take it up)...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:33 pm

Kendo...great coffee! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Steffy nice to see you back.....Just something abhorrent and class-less about this so-called sport.....

Getting someone on the floor and hitting him just doesn't seem right...

Not a sport for gentleman..

Thanks good to be back. Will add I wasnt banned just been busy with the mad rush pre xmas uni assignment work Very Happy

As a bit of a judo fan I do like some of the moves that happen on the ground but agree the laying around really bores me and I dont enjoy watching someone get hit on the floor

Dont quite detest it as much as you but its certainly not for me either

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:35 pm

I'll stick to Hai Karate...

Can't see the appeal of UFC, what skill is there involved in standing there with your arms around someone, repeatedly banging your knee into their thigh to give them a dead leg?

Then sitting on them when they fall over?

I'm with B-Hop on this one...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:37 pm

Union Cane wrote:I'll stick to Hai Karate...

Can't see the appeal of UFC, what skill is there involved in standing there with your arms around someone, repeatedly banging your knee into their thigh to give them a dead leg?

Then sitting on them when they fall over?

I'm with B-Hop on this one...

Seeing as there are people that are really good at it, a fair amount of skill I would suppose...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:37 pm

Hai karate...

Is that when you try to kick a guy Vitali's size instead of the usual Joe bloggs??? Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:38 pm

Union Cane wrote:I'm with B-Hop on this one...

Mind you B Hop did change his opnion at one point and say they were great athletes as he ended up traing in the same gym as a few or something

Not defending the sport mind as I say its not my cup of KENDO

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:38 pm

I like MMA

Spoiler:

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 5:03 pm

He was a legend against Julius Francis...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Dec 2011, 10:58 pm

I am a MMA fan & have been getting into it more of recent but am still a boxing fan first, kick boxing/muay thai second. MMA can certainly bring the excitement & you get a fair few ko's at high level but a great fight in boxing whether its a war or a punch perfect display from a Mayweather, Leonard for example comes out on top.

The whole ground & pound thing isn't totally to my taste but I accept its a part of MMA, but am a bit dissapointed when a fighter is said to have great g 'n' p when it can seem his whole game is based around that, no wonder boxing fans aren't impressed. Many fighters are great athletes as well as skilled in different arts whether its stand up based or ground work but more & more guys are training now in MMA for a few years & doing well so again I can see where boxing fans feel there is a lack of skill although I disagree.

With regards to MMA fighters not all having great boxing skills or unlikely to do badly in Boxing thats because they don't train full time in it & have to adapt those 'skills' for MMA, as do kick boxers. Certain fighters have been training with Freddie Roach, GSP & BJ Penn to name two, K1 fighter Badr Hari also. With regard to GSP I think his last two fights he's won them with stand up, mainly using his boxing.

Vitali & Pele Reid were neither great Kick boxers. Both came more from the contact Karate background where its more points based & often semi contact. Vitali generally fought wearing foot/shin guards where kicking below the waist was not allowed, when Pele Ried finally went into K1 after his boxing career was over he got his ass kicked big time & faded away. Think Skelton was a better example of a Kick Boxer crossing over but he was just as awful to watch as he was at boxing, no great skill set. I think kick boxing has just as high a skill set as boxing but after training in both think its tougher than boxing, pro fighters dont have as long careers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down