The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Problem with Manchester Utd?

+17
dummy_half
Sara
Kay Fabe
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Alessandro Ciambella
imprettyfly
Irish Curry
Crimey
Luke
ADMIN
liverbnz
Josiah Maiestas
TRUSSMAN66
Mr H
monty junior
Bathite
Beer
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Problem with Manchester Utd? Empty The Problem with Manchester Utd?

Post by Beer Thu 08 Dec 2011, 9:18 am

Well, after another humiliating exit at the group stages, Manchester Utd now face the prospect (along with City) of Europa league football.

But this Utd team doesn't seem as good as years gone by. The 8-2 against Arsenal now seems like a fluke result, given that they subsequently shipped 6 goals to their city rivals, and have managed 3 goals in their last 3 league games.

So where has it all gone wrong?

~ Is there just no squad depth anymore?
~ Have youngsters like Macheda, Welback and Anderson failed to deliver?
~ Is there no money to invest?

Or perhaps:

~ Teams just don't fear them any more?

Lets face it, gone are the days when teams looked at the fixture list and saw Man Utd as 2 games they could write off.

What do you think the problem is?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

The Problem with Manchester Utd? Empty Re: The Problem with Manchester Utd?

Post by Bathite Thu 08 Dec 2011, 9:40 am

Don't know how you could say Welbeck has failed to deliver. Was a great player for Sunderland last year and in his first breakthrough year at United has gone ahead of Berbatov, Owen and Macheda in the pecking order and become an international player! Bit harsh on the lad!

I think players like Gibson, Carrick, Evans and Anderson don't really have an excuse though. Look at how quickly Jones, Cleverly and Smalling have made the step up.

I think the problems are that Evans has been found out and that Rio is no longer the leader and force he used to be. Without Vidic, the centre backs look a bit lost.

In midfield, there is no link man, no replacement for scholes. Cleverly started the season well, but its not coincidence that since Young, Cleverly and Vidic have had their various injuries, that goals have dried up and the defence has started leaking.

Injuries have hit them hard, but there is glaring hole in CM, but we all knew that at the start of the season, hence the move for Sneijder. There is certainly depth in some areas though.

De Gea - Kuscak
Rafael - Smalling
Evra - Fabio
Vidic - Jones
Ferdinand - Evans (need another CB I think)
RM - Nani - Valencia
LM - Young - Park
DM - Fletcher - Carrick (what does carrick actually offer?)
CM - Anderson (still unconvinced, think he has gone backwards) - Giggs
CF - Rooney - Berbatov - Macheda
ST - Hernandez - Welbeck - Owen

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 08 Dec 2011, 9:42 am

To summarise, I would be looking at the following areas

RB or CB, depending on where Jones/Smalling play. Eventually CB I would imagine. I think they need an imposing CB. Alex from Chelsea is available in January and would be a good cheap buy for a couple of years until the youngsters come through.

CM - Someone with a bit of spark. Unlikely to get the quality he wants in Jan, although being available for Champs League isn't crucial anymore!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 08 Dec 2011, 9:48 am

Bathite wrote:There is certainly depth in some areas though.

De Gea - Kuscak
Rafael - Smalling
Evra - Fabio
Vidic - Jones
Ferdinand - Evans (need another CB I think)
RM - Nani - Valencia
LM - Young - Park
DM - Fletcher - Carrick (what does carrick actually offer?)
CM - Anderson (still unconvinced, think he has gone backwards) - Giggs
CF - Rooney - Berbatov - Macheda
ST - Hernandez - Welbeck - Owen

Please explain where?

You have 3 strikers there who could be considered as good players, that's Welbeck, Hernandez and Rooney. Berba and Owen are passed it, and Macheda is woeful.

Giggs is 37, kicking 38, he should not be your best midfielder. Fletcher had 1 good season and has yet to replicate his form. Park is getting on now and i don't rate Carrick or Valencia. So i would say you have Young, Nani and Cleverley.

At the back i would say you have more depth, but Fergie seems to lack faith to play Smalling and Jones. Instead relying on an injury prone duo.

Kusczack is gash!

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 08 Dec 2011, 10:02 am

I think they were just complacent, they got a fantastic draw and bar the first game away to Benfica expected to win pretty much every game.

Good to see the Serie A teams all getting through, it may be rated the 4th best league now but for passion, history etc.. it's by far the best league. Man City could buy any of Napoli's players if they wanted but got knocked out by them. Good stuff.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 08 Dec 2011, 11:01 am

United's main problem this season has been their back 5. Its been too unsettled. Last year with VDS, Rio & Vidic they were solid but De Gea, Smalling & Evans have made too many mistakes and its cost them. Newcastle are proof of how a solid, settled back 5 is the key to success. Chelsea are the same though, Luiz is shocking, Terry is shot, and Cech looks scared to death of going in where it hurts.

CM is also a massive problem too. Nani and Young are obviously quality on the flanks but if you look at where they've conceded this year a hell of alot of teams have opened them up right through the middle of the park. I bet they'd love one of the midfield enforcers from the 'noisy neighbours'.

SAF needs to ring Roma and ask them how much they want for Daniele De Rossi. He'd fit the bill big time.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 08 Dec 2011, 11:45 am

They haven't got the money to buy big!!! With City at championship league level and... them and Chelsea with the biggest wallets then they are going to suffer..

Let's face it anybody Utd want..City can offer double and better pay...

Now Utd can't say they can offer CL football and City can't..

Hard times for them..If they lose Rooney they will be ordinary..

As a guy above alluded to...teams are more confident and are exposing the flaws that perhaps were always there.. if teams had been more aggressive...

Good isn't it.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 08 Dec 2011, 11:52 am

Utd's ability to buy and buy big will depend on how successful their flotation on the Singapore Stock Exchange is come January, IF they go ahead with it.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:13 pm

De Rossi wouldnt be a big buy. He's out of contract at the end of the season.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:15 pm

Arsenal were linked with him for £8 million.

They'll take Tiote and Cabeye off of us, £40 million. Job done.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:29 pm

What is it we paid, about £8m combined for Tiote & Cabaye wasnt it? Thats almost robbery.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:34 pm

Yeah about that.

I know mate, they are worth at least £60 million.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:36 pm

Each!

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:37 pm

Defo.

We haven't won without Tiote, this makes me sad.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:37 pm

Rio Ferdinand way past his best still playing; Johnny Evans still at the club when rubbish; Evra clearly not good enough in defence or attack; Rooney missing chances.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:38 pm

King Beer wrote:Yeah about that.

maybe in RBS world of economics Whistle Wink
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:40 pm

He leaves a gaping hole, tough boots to fill.

Got a bad feeling about Norwich this weekend too. Could go either way. After that though its WBA and Swansea at home then Bolton away. Definately potential points to be won before the turn of the year. Hopefully Colo will be back for WBA.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:40 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
King Beer wrote:Yeah about that.

maybe in RBS world of economics Whistle Wink

I was using Northern Rock maths!

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:45 pm

The fear part is certainly a valid point. Lets face it, Basle aren't any better than than most of the lower half of the Premier Leage. The only difference is they didn't play with the fear most of those teams do against united in the PL. You could say that United have earnt that fear by dominating on and off since football began almost 19 years ago, although it may be beginning to wear off.

As for United as a squad, when Rooney doesn't fire - and there is usually a period every season when he doesn't - they don't really have anyone to take on the mantle. Only Nani is really looking like getting them wins these days. They also have no one creative force in the midfield so inevitabley everything goes down their wings, but Valencia hasn't discovered his pre-injury form and Young's early purple patch was interrupted by injury. Last night they just seemed to be launching balls into the box last night with no real purpose.

In saying all that, they are only 5 points of the top and usually hit a real vein of form post Christmas so they are certainly not out of the race for the Premier League. Their experience in winning may count for something, even if the quality isn't what it used to be.

Last edited by liverbnz on Thu 08 Dec 2011, 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:53 pm

I think Roy Keane summed it up quite well lat night.

These kids need a severe talking to and remember who they are playing for, and those that don't understand need shipping out.

I think Fergie is losing his touch with the younger players as well. Morrison, Pogba, both hugely rated, yet both potentially leaving because they can't get a game.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:59 pm

Ravel Morrison for all his potential talent is Joey Barton without the French philosopher quotes.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 08 Dec 2011, 1:02 pm

Macclads (formerly Hero) wrote:Ravel Morrison for all his potential talent is Joey Barton without the French philosopher quotes.

Which under Fergie; the ultimate disciplinarian is quite an acheivement.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 08 Dec 2011, 1:31 pm

Smalling's not a right back, Jones isn't a holding midfielder, there's no creativity (what was the point of all those crosses when your one striker is Rooney). There didn't seem to be any urgency, and the tempo was to slow.Unfortunatly Ferdinand and Giggs look like there legs have gone.
There squad is not as frighting as most others of the top 4/5, alot of there kids are average at best (Jones, Cleverley & Hernandez & Welbeck excused).

He meeds to buy in 3 or 4 top class players to supplement the youngsters above . Otherwise the likes of Rooney Evra etc eill again be complaing.

As for the fear factor, i think it went a few years ago in the prem, even though they've won it a the last few years, they havn't been a great side and it was more problems at other clubs andArsenal usual implosion that they won it, not that they ran away with it or we're a great side.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 08 Dec 2011, 5:18 pm

Their squad is just very weak, just like 5-6 years ago, coincidently the last time they were knocked out of the Champions League at this stage.

De Gea just doesn't look convincing at all, he has struggled and for all his good games he makes far too many mistakes, he has time to come good, but for the moment without a strong defence he isn't a good enough goalkeeper for United.

The back four just looks really poor and because of Ferdinand's age and injuries and Vidic becoming increasingly injury prone it's rarely a consistent back four which is always going to harm them. Evans is useless, and how he is still at the club is a complete and utter mystery. Evra is losing quality quickly as well.

Their midfield is devoid of creativity in the middle, Nani, Young are both good players, but inconsistent so just cannot be relied on to bring the goods. Giggs is getting slower and slower with age, and I can't see him lasting much longer. Then players like Park, Fletcher, Anderson and Carrick are just average and just cannot offer them anything. Jones has looked good but seems more comfortable in defence. Valencia is a good option, but I am not sure he's good enough to be first XI. They need to buy a creative midfielder and fast, they cannot afford to wait and see if Cleverly becomes world class.

Up front they are most strong, with Rooney, Hernandez and Welbeck all good strikers. Berbatov and Owen aren't bad as back up either to be fair. Unfortunaterly Hernandez hasn't played much this year, Welbeck is too young to be trusted to lead the line and Rooney is playing like he did at the World Cup again.

They need a complete upheaval of their squad to be honest, central midfield is crucial, then defence, then out wide, then goalkeeper then up front. It will take a few years though.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu 08 Dec 2011, 5:38 pm

I don't think there has been much creativity in the midfield in a number of years now but it has never really been a serious issue until now. Priority number one has got to be a solid CB, doesn't have to be young, just able, Alex would be a good example. We have a young keeper who will make mistakes so a strong CB pairing is a must, Evra should be put on the transfer list if he doesn't cop himself on, he is a disgrace to the jersey in the way he is playing, he lacks any effort. Rooney is another one who should be given a kick up the backside.

A CM is another position that needs to be looked at, we are not going to be able to buy an attacking midfielder in January like Sneijder so if possible as someone mentioned someone like De Rossi would do, Carrick is a poor attempt of a joke of a footballer and should never play again. Their are younger players who are not getting a chance and need to prove themselfs.

The problem is there is no passion in our play, the team is just flat. Even Rooney who normally busts his gut playing looks disinterested. The fear factor in Europe is gone, but Arsenal still qualifed so thats not a proper excuse. The standard of the EPL teams has slipped a bit but the main problem is psychological, their is no spark in the team at all. Thats the problem.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by imprettyfly Thu 08 Dec 2011, 6:00 pm

King Beer wrote:

Macheda is woeful.

Kusczack is gash!

Spurs are Awesome and going to win the league

I agree with all 3 statements OK

imprettyfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Fri 09 Dec 2011, 11:24 am

THINGS WRONG AT UNITED. By Alessandro Ciambella, Monza.

Not being a WUM. Have a genuine interest in United and looking in thiese are the things I see wrong with the great club: -

What on earth is Johnny Evans doing at a team like Manchester United? He makes more mistakes than the USA in Afghanistan.

Phil Jones. Def Mid? WTF! David Batty was a Def Mid with his superior crab movement and ability to pass a ball backwards, left and right. jones is better than that and his optimum position is CB. End of arguement. Get him in there for Evans. NOW!

Ryan Giggs was awful the other night. Had that been Owen, Park or Anderson then they would spend the next 6 weeks in the reserves. Not Giggs, he will be allowed to do it all again on Saturday. The guy plays one good game in 6. Awful. Never been the same player since the super injunction scandal.

Quiffy Quifferson in goal is absolutely rubbish. Cluster Keeper Taibi was sold on for doing less things wrong than that! He makes Fabien-Bad-Back-Barthez a bargain from all those years ago! DeGea needs DeGetouttathere!

Macheda. One goal against Villa has defined his whole career. When will he realise his destiny and sign for Yeovil Town?

Park, Fletcher and Anderson need to be shown the door. How many of these players would get into Real Madrid, Barca, Chelsea or even Bolton Wanderers 1st team.

Would you llike me to go on?
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:10 pm

Alessandro Ciambella wrote:THINGS WRONG AT UNITED. By Alessandro Ciambella, Monza.

Not being a WUM. Have a genuine interest in United and looking in thiese are the things I see wrong with the great club: -

What on earth is Johnny Evans doing at a team like Manchester United? He makes more mistakes than the USA in Afghanistan.

Phil Jones. Def Mid? WTF! David Batty was a Def Mid with his superior crab movement and ability to pass a ball backwards, left and right. jones is better than that and his optimum position is CB. End of arguement. Get him in there for Evans. NOW!

Ryan Giggs was awful the other night. Had that been Owen, Park or Anderson then they would spend the next 6 weeks in the reserves. Not Giggs, he will be allowed to do it all again on Saturday. The guy plays one good game in 6. Awful. Never been the same player since the super injunction scandal.

Quiffy Quifferson in goal is absolutely rubbish. Cluster Keeper Taibi was sold on for doing less things wrong than that! He makes Fabien-Bad-Back-Barthez a bargain from all those years ago! DeGea needs DeGetouttathere!

Macheda. One goal against Villa has defined his whole career. When will he realise his destiny and sign for Yeovil Town?

Park, Fletcher and Anderson need to be shown the door. How many of these players would get into Real Madrid, Barca, Chelsea or even Bolton Wanderers 1st team.

Yes please do

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by imprettyfly Fri 09 Dec 2011, 2:01 pm

Alessandro Ciambella wrote:

all of them... Doh

Well bolton's team anyway

imprettyfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Dec 2011, 2:07 pm

Laugh ciambella if only you were this amusing on the motorsports section!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:10 pm

I think people are being harsh on Anderson to be fair, he was one of United's better players before he got injured and they've not had the same spark in the middle of the park since he got injured

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:19 pm

The main problem with us I think, is the lack of continuity in the back 4. It's been hugely disrupted all season, and even last season we weren't exactly rock solid there. Going to be even worse now that Vidic is out for the rest of the season.

There's loads of other small reasons also, and some of our key players haven't been playing as well as they're capable. Add all that together, and you get to where we are.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:22 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:The main problem with us I think, is the lack of continuity in the back 4. It's been hugely disrupted all season, and even last season we weren't exactly rock solid there. Going to be even worse now that Vidic is out for the rest of the season.

There's loads of other small reasons also, and some of our key players haven't been playing as well as they're capable. Add all that together, and you get to where we are.

Do you think you have good enough squad depth? Cause personally i think you're outside the top 4 for squad depth.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:28 pm

We have had fairly poor squad depth for the last 2 seasons or so KB. We were exceptionally lucky with grinding out a couple of 1-0 wins last season for definite, and often had to rely heavily on Scholes and Giggs. We haven't recruited very well, but then we don't have the finances to do so. I would have liked to have seen more of the younger players getting more exposure, but some of the ones we've got, just don't look up to it at the top level.

We are by no means in dire trouble, but things do need working on and quickly. Our season is hanging by a thread really. Weird times to be a Man U fan.

And let's not forget, injury has hampered a lot of our better players as well. THis is not reallya solid reason, as all teams suffer from it, but with how weak we are in certain positions, it has hit us quite hard.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:29 pm

I think that we are going to struggle now Vida is out; its no coincidence that when he came back into the team we didn't let any goals in. It is a huge loss, I hope he recovers well and comes back strong next season. I am going to miss him Crying or Very sad

We definitely need to improve the midfield, it is too weak and has been like that for a few years now. I would love another player like Roy Keane but I cannot see that happening. In defence I would now play Smalling, Jones, Rio and Patrice - not Jonny Evans; I cannot fault his effort but he stresses me out too much.

Sara

http://www.twitter.com/SaraLouP

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 09 Dec 2011, 4:28 pm

A few issues for Man U -

Goalkeeper: De Gea has good games but is not as consistent or dominant as you'd want.

Defence - If the first choice back 4 (Fabio, Rio, Vidic and Evra) was available regularly, things wouldn't be too bad (even allowing that Evra isn't playing that well), but there is no consistency and stability of selection. Also don't get the positional selections of Smalling, Jones and Evans.

Central midfield - Missing the playmaker in there. I still think this was the role that Tevez would have ended up filling once Scholes retired. However, CT and his agent's agitation meant he left and Scholes had to do another season or so and there still isn't really a proven replacement (CLeverly maybe, but he is still young and needs the experience).

Attacking threat - Ronaldo has never been properly replaced. His ability to carry the ball through the middle of the field meant there was always an attacking threat on the break. Rooney was ideal as a second quality attacking player, but he's being asked to do too much now.

I think Man U are now really starting to suffer from their relative lack of spending power compared with City and Chelsea (and Barca and Real Madrid) - it simply is no longer possible for them to go after the very best players, so they are having to buy younger talent (the likes of Jones and Smalling) and promote from within.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri 09 Dec 2011, 4:54 pm

I just saw that Vidic is out for the rest of the season with means another CB is a must, Ferdinand, Smalling and Jones are the only ones I would even half think of playing at center back. Its now or never for alot of the players in my mind.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Sat 10 Dec 2011, 7:23 pm

When your selling a player like Cristiano Ronaldo and replacing him with a unique talent like Bebe then whats the worst that can happen?

Its ok because they can play their best player Wayne Rooney in natural positions like left wing and center midfield.

Then there is Darren Gibson... where do I even begin to review his talent. Yes, he has more Premier League Medals than Steven Gerrard, BUT just because the Spice Girls had more UK No 1's than Madonna, it does not them better. Giovanni Trappatoni told him that he must leave Manchester United in order to further his career. The truth is if he left United his career would be over. Honestly, who who want a Darren Fletcher clone gone wrong? People who watch Family Guy will remember 'Bitch Stewie' and 'Bitch Brian', the 2 clones than Stewie makes to perform odd jobs. This is exactly where Darren Gibson has come from. A poor Fletcher clone. More to the point, why on earth would you want to clone him!?

Its okay though because as long as Wayne Rooney plays CM it just pushes Gibson further down the pecking order!Perhaps Fergie can farm him out to Newcastle where he can join other hall of fame player Gabby Obertan. What a talent he was not!
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat 10 Dec 2011, 7:34 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^

First class post. Darron Gibson, worst player in the Prem, IMO.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 10 Dec 2011, 10:03 pm

Well that's ironic Bitch stewie is on tv now

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:58 am

Alessandro Ciambella wrote:THINGS WRONG AT UNITED. By Alessandro Ciambella, Monza.

Laugh Laugh clap

Alessandro Ciambella wrote:When your selling a player like Cristiano Ronaldo and replacing him with a unique talent like Bebe then whats the worst that can happen?

Its ok because they can play their best player Wayne Rooney in natural positions like left wing and center midfield.

Then there is Darren Gibson... where do I even begin to review his talent. Yes, he has more Premier League Medals than Steven Gerrard, BUT just because the Spice Girls had more UK No 1's than Madonna, it does not them better. Giovanni Trappatoni told him that he must leave Manchester United in order to further his career. The truth is if he left United his career would be over. Honestly, who who want a Darren Fletcher clone gone wrong? People who watch Family Guy will remember 'Bitch Stewie' and 'Bitch Brian', the 2 clones than Stewie makes to perform odd jobs. This is exactly where Darren Gibson has come from. A poor Fletcher clone. More to the point, why on earth would you want to clone him!?

Its okay though because as long as Wayne Rooney plays CM it just pushes Gibson further down the pecking order!Perhaps Fergie can farm him out to Newcastle where he can join other hall of fame player Gabby Obertan. What a talent he was not!

You sir, are a hero OK

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 17 Dec 2011, 10:05 pm

These posts are almost insane and some are complete nonsense.

How many goals have United conceded in the Premier League this season? 14 GOALS! Take away the freak 6-1 defeat, that's only 8 goals in 16 games. They still have the best defensive record in the league despite this freak result.

Man Utd are very much going through a small "restructuring" period. You have to give the new (and young) players (De Gea, Cleverly, Jones, Smallimg, Young and Welbeck) time to settle. Despite all this negativity United are only TWO points behind City.

They were complacent in the Champions League, nothing more nothing less. It's a learning experience for all involved.

I appreciate an additional midfielder would be useful- but I think Anderson and Cleverly (both injured at the moment) deserve a real run in the team and a chance to shine. Anderson in particular, is a type of player who will peak in his mid 20s once he has sufficient experience given his style of play.

De Gea

Evra/ Fabio Jones/Smallimg/Rio/Evans Raphael

Carrick/Anderson

Nani/ Valencia Park/ Young

Cleverly/Giggs

Rooney/ Berbatov. Hernandez/ Welbeck

Add in a fit and healthy Vidic and Fletcher, that squad is one of the best you'll probably see. Bare in mind you also have Pogba, Machaida and Owen also on the fringes of the squad.

All is fine at United, City draw tomorrow and United win then it's all to play for again.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 17 Dec 2011, 10:34 pm

I think you're kidding yourself if you think you don't need at least one creative midfielder. Cleverly and Anderson ARE both injured, it's not matter of when they come back it'll be fine, what if it happens again? Carrick is your only real central midfielder left now, and he's not good enough. Fletcher may not ever return, almost definitely not for the rest of the season.

Rio is on his last legs, he's simply not the player he once was and cannot be relied on, Vidic might not come back as good after his injury. An inconsistent back four really isn't great, especially considering you have a goalkeeper who doesn't look very confident.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 17 Dec 2011, 11:14 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I think you're kidding yourself if you think you don't need at least one creative midfielder. Cleverly and Anderson ARE both injured, it's not matter of when they come back it'll be fine, what if it happens again? Carrick is your only real central midfielder left now, and he's not good enough. Fletcher may not ever return, almost definitely not for the rest of the season.

Rio is on his last legs, he's simply not the player he once was and cannot be relied on, Vidic might not come back as good after his injury. An inconsistent back four really isn't great, especially considering you have a goalkeeper who doesn't look very confident.

Established creative midfielders come at a massive premium, I'm talking in the £40m regions. There is absolutely no need for spending this sum of money until the end of the season (given there is no champions league to compete for). When Anderson and Cleverly return (probably mid Jan- Feb) that issue will be solved.

I've watched united for many years, Fergie knows what he's doing. I'd obviously be delighted to see someone of Wesley Schneijder's quality in the Premier League, but I'm all for promoting talent and potential. This is a great opportunity for Andrson and Cleverly to shine.

A season is won over 40 - 55 games, not two or three results. United's defence is still solid, and Rio although has lost a yard of pace is not totally shot. Evans, in my opinion is the weak link, but Smalling and Jones have a tremendous amount of talent and ability to help fill the gap.

Conclusion, no need to panic buy. This isn't an Arsenal situation where they lost the likes of Nasri and Fabregas. I'm almost certain SAF will not sign anyone in January- and he knows far more than any of us over United's current situation.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 17 Dec 2011, 11:19 pm

I'm not sure you should panic buy, but I think there are some problems with your side, problems that need to be solved in the summer, if not starting in January.

You have never replaced Ronaldo, Scholes and soon players like Giggs and Ferdinand will both need replacing, players like Nani, Anderson etc. are not good enough as replacements and I think if you don't want to be left behind by City Fergie needs to start rebuilding the way he is famous for.

I can't work out why Evans still get games, while Smalling and Jones are both played out of position, it's very strange.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 17 Dec 2011, 11:41 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I'm not sure you should panic buy, but I think there are some problems with your side, problems that need to be solved in the summer, if not starting in January.

You have never replaced Ronaldo, Scholes and soon players like Giggs and Ferdinand will both need replacing, players like Nani, Anderson etc. are not good enough as replacements and I think if you don't want to be left behind by City Fergie needs to start rebuilding the way he is famous for.

I can't work out why Evans still get games, while Smalling and Jones are both played out of position, it's very strange.

Let me break it down for you. The 2008 side, with Tevaz, Ronaldo and Rooney was insane. Having those three in one team is a dream team. Trying to replicate a side of that magnitude is always going to be difficult.

In addition, you can't replace the likes of Ronaldo (second best player in the world) and Scholes (in his day, one of England's most talented and gifted players).

Fergie has signed Giggsy's potential replacement with the likes of Ashley Young. I guess Ronaldo's replacements come with the likes of the Nani's and Valencia's of this world. I totally agree, these players are not as good as Ronaldo or Giggs, but nevertheless they are still damn good and could probably get into any of the big European sides.

Rio will be replaced with Jones and Smalling. But Rio is still very much a live dog, please don't write him off, he's a great leader and has a tactical footballing brain that can only be achieved through years of experience.

Replacing Paul Scholes is a different kettle of fish, he was very much the key to the way United played as he could control a game and add to United's fluency of play- even the great Juan Veron could not dislodge Scholes. Throwing £XXm at the problem will not solve anything. United have technically gifted players in Anderson, Cleverly and Ravel Morrison who can take hold of the Scholes role. I don't think either of these will go down as legendary as Scholesy was, but they certaintly deserve the games (Anderson in particular) to prove themselves.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 17 Dec 2011, 11:42 pm

And as I said above- its only TWO points that separates United and Citeh!!

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 17 Dec 2011, 11:48 pm

Fair enough if the aim is to keep challenging for the Premier League, but surely if the team is to progress it means they have to be challenging for and winning the Champions League? Is that not what United should be building for?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Sun 18 Dec 2011, 1:34 pm

No point buying for the Cl if we've not in it, A center mid who is in his later 20s or early 30s would be ideal in my eyes if we bought in the summer, we can lip on winning 1-0 til then. (Hopefully!)
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 19 Dec 2011, 9:33 am

All Time Great wrote:
invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I'm not sure you should panic buy, but I think there are some problems with your side, problems that need to be solved in the summer, if not starting in January.

Let me break it down for you. The 2008 side, with Tevaz, Ronaldo and Rooney was insane. Having those three in one team is a dream team. Trying to replicate a side of that magnitude is always going to be difficult.

In addition, you can't replace the likes of Ronaldo (second best player in the world) and Scholes (in his day, one of England's most talented and gifted players).

Fergie has signed Giggsy's potential replacement with the likes of Ashley Young. I guess Ronaldo's replacements come with the likes of the Nani's and Valencia's of this world. I totally agree, these players are not as good as Ronaldo or Giggs, but nevertheless they are still damn good and could probably get into any of the big European sides.

Rio will be replaced with Jones and Smalling. But Rio is still very much a live dog, please don't write him off, he's a great leader and has a tactical footballing brain that can only be achieved through years of experience.

Replacing Paul Scholes is a different kettle of fish, he was very much the key to the way United played as he could control a game and add to United's fluency of play- even the great Juan Veron could not dislodge Scholes. Throwing £XXm at the problem will not solve anything. United have technically gifted players in Anderson, Cleverly and Ravel Morrison who can take hold of the Scholes role. I don't think either of these will go down as legendary as Scholesy was, but they certaintly deserve the games (Anderson in particular) to prove themselves.

How many games has anderson had to impress though? Must be nearly 40 appearances and still hasn't justified his massive price tag

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next