The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is anyone else disappointed that Shane didn't continue one more season?

+19
rhino-dragon
Knowsit17
Gatts
mckay1402
doctor_grey
kiakahaaotearoa
gowales
Breadvan
maestegmafia
majesticimperialman
formerly known as Sam
LondonTiger
rodders
bathmad
dummy_half
dogtooth
Pal Joey
eirebilly
irfon17
23 posters

Go down

Is anyone else disappointed that Shane didn't continue one more season? Empty Is anyone else disappointed that Shane didn't continue one more season?

Post by irfon17 Mon 12 Dec 2011, 8:37 am

I know he is in the twilight of his career and that Wales need to look to replacements at some point, but I think he still has the magic- not many wingers could have made those Australian defenders look ordinary. The only two wingers Wales have IMO who compare to him are Halfpenny and North, and Halfpenny seems better placed as Full back at the moment. I honestly think that our 6 nations squad will be weaker without him. Your thoughts- both Wales and non-Wales fans?

irfon17

Back to top Go down

Is anyone else disappointed that Shane didn't continue one more season? Empty Re: Is anyone else disappointed that Shane didn't continue one more season?

Post by eirebilly Mon 12 Dec 2011, 8:49 am

I am an Irishman but always had the greatest respect for Shane Williams. That said, i do believe that he is retiring at te right time. Better that players like this call time on their own career than risk playing on and having someone else decide for them.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Is anyone else disappointed that Shane didn't continue one more season? Empty Re: Is anyone else disappointed that Shane didn't continue one more season?

Post by Pal Joey Mon 12 Dec 2011, 8:55 am

irfon17 wrote:I know he is in the twilight of his career and that Wales need to look to replacements at some point, but I think he still has the magic- not many wingers could have made those Australian defenders look ordinary. The only two wingers Wales have IMO who compare to him are Halfpenny and North, and Halfpenny seems better placed as Full back at the moment. I honestly think that our 6 nations squad will be weaker without him. Your thoughts- both Wales and non-Wales fans?

The game was done and dusted, irfon. They were just being kind. Don't forget we shipped quite a few points through the Wales defence... one down Shane's side.

Great player though. I do believe he would have had a year or two left in him... but everyone (including himself) believes that now is the time to hang up the size 5s.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 12 Dec 2011, 9:04 am

The game was done and dusted but i am yet to meet an Aussie that was kind when winning. They did not want Wales to score tries. It was a well taken try and a very fitting send off.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 12 Dec 2011, 9:11 am

It was a classic send-off and he simply bamboozled the defence with that initial jink to get through the line. After that he only had to stroll 10-15m unopposed.

Aren't all nations like that though? I've never met any team who was kind when winning on the field.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by irfon17 Mon 12 Dec 2011, 9:20 am

You may be better placed to comment on Australian mentality than I Linebreaker, but from what I have experienced of the Aussie sporting spirit is that it is fiercely competitive (hence the country punching above it's weight in just about any sport one cares to mention).

With this in mind I find it very hard to believe that the two Australian defenders in question (the 1st who was bamboozled by the jink, the second who tried his best but could only get fingertips to Shane duing his 15m 'unopposed stroll') would allow an opposition player to score against them for sentimental reasons.

I think we may have a situation where a player's interests and his country's interests diverge, Shane interested in bowing out with his legendary status intact, whereas Wales would be better of with his services for one more season.

irfon17

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 12 Dec 2011, 9:32 am

Of course not. No sentimental reason to let him slip through... they were more than likely tiring and let their guard slip as the 80 minutes approached.

It would have been a truly epic send-off if that was the winning try but alas; they fell just short.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Mon 12 Dec 2011, 9:58 am

who know, but if we have a glut of injuries we may find warren begging shane to come back for one more 6n.

i hope not. i want to see a back three of stoddy, 1/2p and north in action this spring.

still, i am sorry we wont have shane anymore.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 12 Dec 2011, 11:53 am

Well, on Saturday he was well handled by the Sarries defence, but every time he touched the ball there was a collective holding of breath just in case something magic happened. Wasn't his night though - having said that, the Os fullback looked very dangerous with ball in hand, so could be a good one for Wales's future (letting 1/2p revert to the wing).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Mon 12 Dec 2011, 12:12 pm

Nope, the most miserable and unsporting individual around. Good riddance. boxing

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Mon 12 Dec 2011, 12:52 pm

bathmad wrote:Nope, the most miserable and unsporting individual around. Good riddance. boxing

Very Happy and he was cr4p.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 12 Dec 2011, 2:30 pm

Fiver says Shane changes his mind and is back by the 6N..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 12 Dec 2011, 4:00 pm

roddersm wrote:Fiver says Shane changes his mind and is back by the 6N..... Run

Shane who? Wink

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 12 Dec 2011, 4:26 pm

Better to retire whilst being remembered as a great, don't want to fall from grace and have everyone remember you for making mistakes and being past your best. Shane's still a cracking player and should the O's forwards not be done over (like they were vs Sarries) then he'll be a threat still.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 12 Dec 2011, 4:32 pm

If he didn't retire when he did,(on top)of his game when would he have retired? He has had a good 13years or so at the top of his carrer for Wales and for the Ospreys.

I have no doubt that Wales will miss him more than he will miss Wales.

Let him play his last days out at the Ospreys, and then let reitire gracefully.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 12 Dec 2011, 6:52 pm

Luckily we have players to take over from him...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 12 Dec 2011, 7:23 pm

As an Ospreys and Eng fan..............er NO! Very Happy
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 13 Dec 2011, 4:24 am

maestegmafia wrote:Luckily we have players to take over from him...!

Unfortunately apart from George North and Halfpenny i don't think we have any international standard wingers.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 13 Dec 2011, 8:55 am

I´m sure he´s disappointed to not be playing any more. You can´t just stop your love of the game or your desire to score tries. But if not the man himself, who else is a better judge of knowing the right time to hang up the boots. Another great player to do so Johnny Wilkinson made the World Cup his end goal and who could begrudge such a fantastic player that. Shane seems to be in better shape than Wilkinson but he knows what his body is saying to him.

One of my heroes growing up was John Kirwan. It used to sicken me how my home town one-eyed Canterbury crowd booed him when he played at Lancaster Park late in his career. He wasn´t the same player by then but he was still a legend that deserved better than that. Who can begrudge Shane for leaving on a high note with his try against Australia (even though Wales lost).

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 13 Dec 2011, 9:34 am

I am very happy for Shane Williams. He is still playing terrific and is going on his own terms. For a great sportsman who we have all enjoyed wartching, what more could we wish for him? And he had that one last special match at home. Great stuff!

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:59 am

He could still perform but if his hearts not in it then he knows himself that it's time.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 13 Dec 2011, 6:59 pm

Why is he packing it in when he still scores so easily?

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 13 Dec 2011, 7:28 pm

Gatts wrote:Why is he packing it in when he still scores so easily?

Age. and Pride. thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 8:30 pm

I think he got the timing just right. He was past his best at any rate, no point in sullying a great legacy and being more of a liability for your country with poor form.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 13 Dec 2011, 8:31 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:I think he got the timing just right. He was past his best at any rate, no point in sullying a great legacy and being more of a liability for your country with poor form.

I just think he stlll has many more tries to score for Wales

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by rhino-dragon Tue 13 Dec 2011, 8:35 pm

No he has been on a downward spiral since 2003. If anything he went on for a season too long. It is time for him to go we got some great young talent coming through most notably 1/2p and North.

rhino-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:21 pm

1/2 and north are hardly 'coming through' they are well entrenched. Shane scores at will, no other winger does that for Wales.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 14 Dec 2011, 9:13 am

He doesn't score at will, don't be stupid.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 14 Dec 2011, 9:26 am

If Shane scores at will perhaps he should have done it against Australia before the 80th minute and should have scored a try at Wembley vs Saracens?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:28 am

Shane Williams should retire. He is too short to play Rugby.........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:32 am

That's what makes him a great finisher though. He has to take twice as many steps as any other winger to get around the defence.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 14 Dec 2011, 6:51 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:He doesn't score at will, don't be stupid.

Stupid? Is that the extent of your analysis. Pretty impotent reply and offers nothing at all; if you are going to take my remark literally then, Luckless don't be such a fool. By comparison with other Welsh backs Shane can score from pretty much anywhere and can beat numerous defenders to do so. No other Welsh player does/has done that for years. 58/87 speaks for itself

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Dec 2011, 7:50 pm

Shane could have kept going for another year, but I guess he thought life's too short...

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:19 am

Gatts, my apologies for taking 'Shane scores at will' to mean, er, Shane scores at will.

Headscratch

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:40 pm

Is anyone else disappointed that Shane didn't continue one more season?

No Is anyone else disappointed that Shane didn't continue one more season? 3602195817 I'd much rather have Brew on the wing Laugh
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:12 pm

It's best to leave your audience wanting that little bit more.

I hope BOD gets the chance to do the same in due course.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down