The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can we stop Robberies in boxing??

+24
azania
TopHat24/7
Fists of Fury
Il Gialloblu
HumanWindmill
Mort
Union Cane
coxy0001
88Chris05
Rowley
AlexHuckerby
quentins_monkey
oxring
milkyboy
Boxtthis
Scottrf
manos de piedra
Steffan
supremeskills
John Bloody Wayne
All Time Great
talkingpickle
lovely_london
Waingro
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How can we stop Robberies in boxing?? - Page 2 Empty How can we stop Robberies in boxing??

Post by Waingro Mon 12 Dec 2011 - 19:37

First topic message reminder :

It seems like there is a robbery every wek no in boxing and if a fighter is away from home he will get robbed. This has happened to so many British fighters in the last few weeks just ask Chisora, Khan, Macklin and Sturm and dont bet on Froch winning a decision against Ward!! And of course we all know how Lewis got robbed against Holyfield many years ago. They also say in boxing that you need a knock out just to get a draw in Germany and look at guys like Sturm and Ottke and Huck! So my question is how can we stop these robberies from happening?

In football and other sports they have neutral refs or judges so there is no bias. This should be in boxing too if you dont believe me look at the ref in the Hatton v Mayweather fight for example. Judges should be neutral too with no bias..

I things like the champions league they have home and away legs this could be an idea in some big boxing matches that there are two legs even if a fighter loses the first he has a rematch. Look at Haye against Wlad for example Haye had to fight in Germany maybe they could have had two matches one in Germany and one in England for such a big fight? This would not work in small fights though or ones where fighters are from the same country.

Maybe fight should be held in neutral countries so there is no bias from the crowds or officials? Look at the Super 6 Ward has every fight in America but Froch has had only one fight in Britain how is this fair? He fought Abraham in Finland which was neutral maybe they should have neutral for some big fights so there is no home advantage like in the final of the champions league?

They should also ban and suspend judges and refs who are biased and give hometown decision and these results should be changed. If the sport was fair they would have made Chisora the European champion why should Hellenius keep his belt when he got schooled?

If they did this there would be less robberies imo what other ideas do people have for getting rid of robberies in boxing?

Waingro

Back to top Go down

How can we stop Robberies in boxing?? - Page 2 Empty Re: How can we stop Robberies in boxing??

Post by Rowley Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 10:08

There is a quote in the Boxing News report which suggests Helenius' promoter had it as a draw which is kind of instructive and suggesting the Finnish journalists ringside all had it for Chisora, obviously not having seen it can't get too wound up but am yet to see anyone who has called this one for Helenius.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

How can we stop Robberies in boxing?? - Page 2 Empty Re: How can we stop Robberies in boxing??

Post by Union Cane Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 10:11

I had it Chisora by two rounds myself, my point is it was a lot closer than all the people shouting "Robbery!" are making out.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 10:12

Because you scored it with 'home advantage' rather than just scoring it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mort Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 10:12

Controversy creates cash.

A controversial decision usually ends in a rematch giving more money to both combantants.

Mort

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 10:12

Helenius was the title holder

I've never seen a commissions rule book where it states the challenger has to do more than the title holder.

Rounds don't get award because you're the title holder. If you win the fight you win the fight, you don't have to do "X" amount more because you're the challenger.

Silly comment.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 10:12

Scottrf wrote:Because you scored it with 'home advantage' rather than just scoring it.

Give me a shout if you need a hand getting down mate.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 10:14

Union Cane wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Because you scored it with 'home advantage' rather than just scoring it.

I'm fine cheers.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 10:16

Scottrf wrote:
Union Cane wrote:

I'm fine cheers.

Jolly good.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 10:25

coxy0001 wrote:
Helenius was the title holder

I've never seen a commissions rule book where it states the challenger has to do more than the title holder.

Rounds don't get award because you're the title holder. If you win the fight you win the fight, you don't have to do "X" amount more because you're the challenger.

Silly comment.

Where did I say that it was in the rulebook?

It is more of a sub-conscious thing, which was clearly in the mind-set of the ringside judges, as illustrated by the scores they gave. And there is no definitive way to score a fight, that is why there are three judges.

If that's silly, then I'm guilty as charged.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 10:41

manos de piedra wrote:A decent start might be to learn how to distinguish a close fight from a robbery. Murray, Macklin and Khan were not robbed. These were close fights capable of going either way.

You do have an uncanny ability to distill things down to one or two sentences, manos. This is absolutely bang on, in my opinion.

As to the actual scoring, I suppose we could dispense with the ten point must system and increase the amount of points allotted per round, working on the idea that a greater number of samples produces greater accuracy, etc. Judges could award, let's say, up to thirty points per round which would enable tolerances to be finer. The drawbacks, of course, are that it would require quite a feat of memory for a judge to remember why he scored, by way of example, round three 29 - 22 by the time he gets to the twelfth round, and also that no amount of tinkering with a system can ever legislate for out and out corruption.

As with most things, I suspect that treatment of the underlying disease is better than treatment of symptoms. Put boxing back onto a more credible platform, with fewer sanctioning organisations, better mainstream coverage, etc., etc., and the chances are that judging will improve or, at the very least, be better scrutinised.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 11:21

All Time Great wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:
All Time Great wrote:Just ignore split decisions. Most educated people know who was the real winner in a fight when the decision goes the wrong way(eg Mayweather vs Castillo, Chisora vs Helinus and Marquez vs Pacquiao). If a SD occurs, I feel an automatic rematch should be made pending on the defeated boxers choice.

I'm not too keen on that last bit.

What did Oscar do to bring Mayweather to Mexico for a rematch? An SD doesn't always favour the winner.

I think what I'm really trying to elude to is where there has been an out an out robbery the boxing commissions should demand the fight is rematched. Such as Lara vs Williams etc.

Quick English lesson for you, you only use "an" before a vowel and "a" before a consonant.

Off-topic response contained in spoiler.

Spoiler:

As for the topic, I would guess neutral judges and more accountability would be the most practical ways forward. Neutral venues would make it harder to sell tickets and could also make it harder to get fights made, I reckon.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 11:23

laughing nice one, teacher.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 11:24

Il Gialloblu wrote:[spoiler]Not true, All Time Great.
Il Gialloblu KO1 ATG.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 11:58

Think Manos may have got there before me, but surely the quickest way to reduce the number of 'robberies' in boxing is to stop calling every close fight 'a robbery'.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 12:11

Put the judges in sound proof cubicles. But allowing a decision to be reversed after watching it again could be a way forward where the robbery is obvious. I recall Lewis v Holy R5 where the female judge gave it to Holy. Her reasoning was that her view was obstructed. Had she scored that round correctly, the Lewis would have won the first fight.

And ban Ian John Lewis.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 12:12

Perhaps they should go old school and fight until the one of them quits!

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 12:15

two_tone wrote:Perhaps they should go old school and fight until the one of them quits!

Amen to that, never had these problems in John L Sullivan's day.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 12:24

I've always though the score for each round should be made public at the start of the next round so that coaches in each corner and tv/media can clearly see who's winning.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 12:26

kevchadders wrote:I've always though the score for each round should be made public at the start of the next round so that coaches in each corner and tv/media can clearly see who's winning.
Na. Doesn't work in amateur, didn't work in Vitali-Peter.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 13:32

You could have boxrec ignore the official verdict and start awarding wins to the fighters that were was CLEARLY robbed.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 15:57

Il Gialloblu wrote:
All Time Great wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:
All Time Great wrote:Just ignore split decisions. Most educated people know who was the real winner in a fight when the decision goes the wrong way(eg Mayweather vs Castillo, Chisora vs Helinus and Marquez vs Pacquiao). If a SD occurs, I feel an automatic rematch should be made pending on the defeated boxers choice.

What did Oscar do to bring Mayweather to Mexico for a rematch? An SD doesn't always favour the winner.

I think what I'm really trying to elude to is where there has been an out an out robbery the boxing commissions should demand the fight is rematched. Such as Lara vs Williams etc.

Quick English lesson for you, you only use "an" before a vowel and "a" before a consonant.

Spoiler:

As for the topic, I would guess neutral judges and more accountability would be the most practical ways forward. Neutral venues would make it harder to sell tickets and could also make it harder to get fights made, I reckon.

clap Ale

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 18:50

John Bloody Wayne wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:
All Time Great wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:

Spoiler:

clap Ale

I apologise, I will be giving my English teacher a call. However, the use of Allude and elude was merely a typo on my iPhone.

In pretty sure "an SD" is incorrect. The correct use of English would be, "He lost to "a" split decision". You only use an in the following instances/ exceptions:

Exceptions

Use "an" before unsounded "h." Because the "h" hasn't any phonetic representation and has no audible sound, the sound that follows the article is a vowel; consequently, "an" is used.

an honorable peace
an honest error
When "u" makes the same sound as the "y" in "you," or "o" makes the same sound as "w" in "won," then a is used. The word-initial "y" sound ("unicorn") is actually a glide phonetically, which has consonantal properties; consequently, it is treated as a consonant, requiring "a."

ATG beats the count, stumbles back to his corner and lives to fight another day.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 18:56

Nope, you were knocked out.

You recover data from an SD card.

Try saying it, it's unnatural to use 'a'.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 19:22

Scottrf wrote:Nope, you were knocked out.

You recover data from an SD card.

Try saying it, it's unnatural to use 'a'.

You recover data from a SD card.....

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 20:07

I'm beginning to wish I'd simply written split decision.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 21:03

Neutral ref and judges is the best answer I've seen so far, neutral venues would also be nice. Froch and Abraham showed recently that it can be done. All these boasters of today surely have it in them to turn down all advantages and just get on with it. Andre Ward's approach of having most of his fights in his home town with judges and referees from around the block is shamefully ridiculous, good thing Froch didn't stand for it.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2