The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martinez and Cotto both win.

+6
hitmansam
88Chris05
azania
BALTIMORA
coxy0001
samevans1
10 posters

Go down

Martinez and Cotto both win. Empty Martinez and Cotto both win.

Post by samevans1 Sun 13 Mar 2011, 10:02 am

Miguel Cotto stops Richardo Mayorga in the final round.

Sergio Martinez stopped Sergei Dziniruk in the eighth of what was a highly impressive performance.

http://www.boxingscene.com/sergio-martinez-if-cotto-man-enough-hell-fight-me--36943

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Martinez and Cotto both win. Empty Re: Martinez and Cotto both win.

Post by coxy0001 Sun 13 Mar 2011, 10:22 am

Quite amusingly they're bigging up Cotto's win, i don't quite see what Mayorga has proven as although a decent fighter he's something silly like 4-4 in his last few fights with no real notable victories.

Martinez has been raped of his #3 P4P ranking and following his utter destruction of Dziniruk i think it'd be a bloody shambles if he didn't get that place back. Pretty impressive performance, somewhat doubt Williams will want anything of him now though... And 160 aint' exactly stuffed with quality, be very VERY interesting should he move up to 168 though... could you imagine!?!!?!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 13 Mar 2011, 10:47 am

Just posted something very similar to this, only I took about a bazillion more words to say it. Doh

Anyway, full agreement with coxy over Cotto-no slight meant to Cotto, but it seems he's being carefully fed so as to build him back up for another money-spinner. Call me cynical... Whistle

Same with Martinez-it'll be interesting to see where he's ranked now, and what the nut-huggers have to say in relation to Martinez and that Pankio fellow.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 13 Mar 2011, 10:50 am

coxy0001 wrote:Quite amusingly they're bigging up Cotto's win, i don't quite see what Mayorga has proven as although a decent fighter he's something silly like 4-4 in his last few fights with no real notable victories.

Martinez has been raped of his #3 P4P ranking and following his utter destruction of Dziniruk i think it'd be a bloody shambles if he didn't get that place back. Pretty impressive performance, somewhat doubt Williams will want anything of him now though... And 160 aint' exactly stuffed with quality, be very VERY interesting should he move up to 168 though... could you imagine!?!!?!

Martinez is a natural Junior Mid. Going up to SMW is silly given the weight he would be giving up against more skilled fighters. Plus weight hopping is not my thing personally.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 13 Mar 2011, 11:21 am

Would have to agree with Azania; stepping up to 168 lb, for me at least, isn't what Martinez needs. He's not exactly big at Middleweight, and stepping up to tussle with Froch, Dirrell, Kessler and the like, all of whom could easily ply their trade at Light-Heavyweight, would prove a step too far for him, methinks.

Sturm and Pirog would be decent fights for him at 160 lb, I suppose. I'm not sure (I don't think any of us can be, really) if he could ever make 154 lb again, but if so that would bring the option of Cotto in to play, oddly enough. A bit far-fetched, but not an impossibility.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sun 13 Mar 2011, 11:23 am

Azania

I'd say he's probably a natural middler now, and there isn't anything at 160 and i doubt he'd want to come down to 154 again (hence the PWill catchweight).. Haven't read the post fight interviews so don't know how they're going to handle him, but one thing is for certain that barring Cotto (whose career would be ended if he fought Martinez) he's gonna have to go north to 168 for the big money and meaningful fights..

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by hitmansam Sun 13 Mar 2011, 11:26 am

coxy, have you ever laced up a pair of boxing gloves in your life?? Stick to the beer buddy.

hitmansam

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 13 Mar 2011, 11:35 am

hitmansam wrote:coxy, have you ever laced up a pair of boxing gloves in your life?? Stick to the beer buddy.

What does that have to do with anything?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 13 Mar 2011, 11:36 am

coxy0001 wrote:Azania

I'd say he's probably a natural middler now, and there isn't anything at 160 and i doubt he'd want to come down to 154 again (hence the PWill catchweight).. Haven't read the post fight interviews so don't know how they're going to handle him, but one thing is for certain that barring Cotto (whose career would be ended if he fought Martinez) he's gonna have to go north to 168 for the big money and meaningful fights..

Well if he is going up there for the money, it willbe short, painful and probably less rewarding than if he tried to unify the mids and fight Pirog. Ward, Dirrell, Kessler, Froch would all beat him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 13 Mar 2011, 12:01 pm

Cotto would be ruined by Martinez.

He has a pedestrian jab and fairly poor head movement. Against a quick, powerful fighter like Martinez he would get a similar beating to the Manny fight.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun 13 Mar 2011, 1:02 pm

Great win by Cotto, set ups the fight with Margarito in the summer perfectly. Cotto showed he matured more ring savy and cope well with Mayorga, who has similarities with Marg.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 13 Mar 2011, 1:38 pm

I don't think cotto did show he can beat margarito. He got buzzed many times in that fight and I don't know if he has enough to keep magarito off him. I don't want to see cotto get beaten up.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 13 Mar 2011, 1:57 pm

Cotto should beat Marg. Doubt Marg will enter with loaded gloves again as I believe he did in their first fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 13 Mar 2011, 1:58 pm

cotto isn't as good as he was and his chin isn't as good. I think marg beats him. I want cotto to knock him senseless though.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Sun 13 Mar 2011, 3:58 pm

In his last two performances Cotto has looked sound. He has only fallen short in two fights against very good opposition. As I remember he was leading against Margarito and landed more punches overall. Two biggish defeats and a long career at the top can undoubtedly sap a fighter's strengths. But, Cotto is still in reasonable shape and battle ready.

Cotto would stand a decent chance of defeating Margarito. He's not the tallest at LMW, but is a strongly built guy. Unification fights against Bundage, Alvarez and Trout are worthwhile options. How about Dzinziruk? Can see his height and style causing some problems and he has a fair old record at LMW. On recent perfrmances, Cotto's timing and matchplay is still there, plus his backfoot game. Interesting prospect. As a romantic, i'd go for a rematch against Marge, before a unifcation fight - then retire.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sun 13 Mar 2011, 5:06 pm

Cotto is an excellent fighter; but he isn't elite. He isn't a huge puncher and isn't that fast. He has a nice niche at LMW and that is where he should stay. I would give him evens against Angulo, Cintron etc. He beats Kirkland, who is limited; easily.

But Pacquiao and Mayweather stop him easily. And a Martinez, who is in the form of his life; would hurt him pretty bad.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down