The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotto Martinez & undercard

+3
kingraf
hampo17
Dipper Brown
7 posters

Go down

Cotto Martinez & undercard Empty Cotto Martinez & undercard

Post by Dipper Brown Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:15 pm

Hello all, first thread.

Haven't heard much chat on here about this fight but I for one am really looking forward to the upcoming fight between Martinez and Cotto. I think most see it as a likely win for the bigger man, Maravilla and a stepping stone to a big middleweight showdown with GGG. I'd go along with this but personally I'd love to see Cotto roll back the years and do a job on the Argentine.

The other point I'd like to ask is if anyone has heard any murmurs about who we could see on the undercard. I read online that Glen Tapia is stated to return around this time and I wondered if the fact he's now working with Freddie Roach could mean an appearance from him on the undercard. Personally I think the guy is an exciting prospect and bit off a little more than he could chew against Kirkland and was too proud for his own good before getting stopped.

Cheers

DB

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Cotto Martinez & undercard Empty Re: Cotto Martinez & undercard

Post by hampo17 Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:21 pm

I'd be very interested to see Tapia on this card, I want to see how he mentally copes with the beating he got against Kirkland. The mental scares a fight like that leaves can be with a fighter forever.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:22 pm

to be honest, at no point in his career would I give Cotto a shot against Martinez at middleweight. Only reason this is interesting is because we don't know how Martinez has aged.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:00 pm

As Canelo showed you don't need a strong undercard to carry a card, and Cotto is a huge money spinner and martinez has had a lot of exposure of the last couple years, and people will buy as it might be competitive if martinez is shot, although for me it's an easy night for sergio

While HBO are showing it, cotto is a free agent and martinez is with dibella so i'm not sure if TR fighters will be on there or not?

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:22 pm

WH I agree with you about Cotto being a huge draw, especially in NYC with the Puerto Rican community. I didn't realise Cotto wasn't with top rank. I assumed this would be a TR thing with them trying to get exposure for their fighters on a big card, shame!

RE: Tapia. I'd love to see him on the card. His camp are talking about taking things easy and not throwing him back in with another monster, I was hoping this would be the opportunity to blow those cobwebs away!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:25 pm

Martinez by late stoppage for me by the way

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:18 am

I'm not sure he's with TR, as that's why Canelo's team gave him an offer, and i didn't think he has any contractual obligations to either TR or HBO!!!!

And i like tapia, showed lots of heart and lots of skill against kirkland, he just couldn't live with the pressure, few can. Hopefully he can come back from that fight, he took a hell of alot of shots in that fight

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:35 pm

Cotto realises he's big enough to carry his own name and cut out the middle man, and it also means he isn't tied down with the cold war and could easily fight Canelo next if he doesn't look completely done. Can't see Cotto winning though, looking at what Trout did to him, coming up against an even quicker and bigger punching awkward Southpaw isn't going to be a good night for him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:51 pm

If it's even competitive I'll think Martinez is shot. Lost some respect for him even taking it.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:29 pm

Can't lose respect for him, he wants a pension, fair play to him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:54 pm

Martinez is the no.1 in the division, Cotto is a huge name. There's a market for the fight and money to be made. Don't see the problem. GGG isn't going anywhere

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:56 pm

To clarify when I say GGG isn't going anywhere I mean, he'll still be around in 6 months time not that he doesn't have a future

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:36 pm

I can and I have. was a fan of him because he was clearly the best, and was avoided on the basis of not being a big enough name. Martinez is a hypocrite. Cotto does not deserve this shot.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:46 pm

Are you for real?? This fight will be HUGE with "the casuals". And it "makes perfect financial sense". Get with the times. I bet you would rather see him fight Golovkin aka the new Cleverly who only fights bums and is only entertaining if you are into crude sluggers.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:25 pm

Precisely. Something about the middleweight number 1 taking on a guy repeatedly proven not to be among elite in the division below while a very clear challenge is present in his own weight class that just isn't right.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down