The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone apart from me think that Harrison deserves everything he gets?

+2
Derbyblue
skins4ever
6 posters

Go down

Anyone apart from me think that Harrison deserves everything he gets? Empty Anyone apart from me think that Harrison deserves everything he gets?

Post by skins4ever Tue 13 Dec 2011, 9:45 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82503f17/article/steelers-lb-harrison-suspended-one-game-for-mccoy-hit?module=HP11_headline_stack

Now I've played safety and I appreciate all the great hits in football, but this was plain bad. Not only did he lead with his helmet, but he intentionally and dangerously lowered his head to hit with the crown of the helmet. That is not just dangerous, its ruled illegal in all levels of football and its something all coaches are supposed to coach OUT of players:

https://youtu.be/KkBAiK7WEFA

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Anyone apart from me think that Harrison deserves everything he gets? Empty Re: Anyone apart from me think that Harrison deserves everything he gets?

Post by Derbyblue Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:06 pm

I thought they were attempting to say it was legal because McCoy could have been treated as a runner as he had left the pocket, or have I misunderstood that?

Unsurprisingly he's appealing, but I still expect it's a 1 game suspension.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Anyone apart from me think that Harrison deserves everything he gets? Empty Re: Anyone apart from me think that Harrison deserves everything he gets?

Post by skins4ever Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:16 pm

It wasn't even a legal hit, let alone against a runner. He hit helmet first, lowered his head, crown down, and didn't even make a proper move with his arms to wrap up (he pushed McCoy). Anyone knowing how to form tackle a runner knows this is terrible technique - you put your shoulder into the gut and wrap up.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:33 pm

Some of the pundits Stateside are saying that the way Harrison plays is exactly how he would have be taught from a young age, suggesting that the hits he makes would have been legal hits 10+ years ago.
I'm not sure that's true and even if it is it shows poor ability to adjust to change.

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed 14 Dec 2011, 2:21 pm

I'm with you skins - he deserves everything he gets. The hit is illegal nowadays so just freakin' change like the rest of the league has. Fed up with him whining about the league is against him and all that. Just accept the rules or get out I say.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Wed 14 Dec 2011, 3:33 pm

Not a Harrison fan to be honest.

We all enjoy seeing big hits (legal ones), and obviously the players like dishing them out, but can't Harrison see that this rule was brought in to protect the players in the long-term?

I'm sure he'd rather be able to do things like play football with his kids in the future, than be sat in a chair like a vegetable trying to remember all the players he "put to sleep" because of too many helmet hits.

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 14 Dec 2011, 6:29 pm

He's a very talented thug. That's all there is to say.

I love watching a physical game of football with massive, legal hits. The true test of a physical linebacker or safety is to provide a jarring enough hit to knock the ball loose while staying within the rules of the game and playing in a way that is not going to endanger the healthy of your opponent.

You ask any classy players, Patrick Willis or Ed Reed for example, whether they truly go out to hurt their opponents and they will give you a completely different answer to that of someone like James Harrison or Ndamukong Suh.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 16 Dec 2011, 5:13 pm

The appeal has been rejected, he will be reinstated to the team on the 20th. He is doing his best to prove he was done wrong too though "Harrison sent out two tweets immediately following the league's decision.

"When the grass is low the snakes will show! I guess I cut it too short!" Harrison wrote. He then added three minutes later, "I shouldn't be cutting grass when it's this cold anyway."

Harrison again took to Twitter about 30 minutes later, voicing his displeasure with the league.

"17 games,1000+ snaps, 100+ tackles, 12+sacks and 2 forces fumbles since my last incident and I get a suspension for a football play!""

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Sun 18 Dec 2011, 2:27 pm

He's sounded off about the hit in the Cowboys game. He has something of a point that that play wasn't even flagged (defenceless receiver as he had given up on the ball), but that hit doesn't compare to what he did to McCoy. Leading with your forearm/shoulder is what you are supposed to do, not your helmet. Why can't players learn that?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down