The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hopkins v Daswon - No decision

2 posters

Go down

Hopkins v Daswon - No decision Empty Hopkins v Daswon - No decision

Post by two_tone Fri 16 Dec 2011, 4:54 pm

Bernard Hopkins has been handed an early Christmas present with his controversial technical knockout defeat at the hands of Chad Dawson changed to a no decision.

The California State Athletic Commission took just over two hours to overturn the decision that had dealt Hopkins a loss after he was lifted and tossed down into the ropes by Dawson in the second round of their WBC light-heavyweight title fight at the Staples Center on October 15.

Hopkins, at 46 the oldest major champion in boxing history, dislocated his shoulder, and under the rules, the fight should have been stopped and ruled a no decision because it was prior to the fourth round, after which it goes to the scorecards.

Referee Pat Russell called it a TKO but it will now be changed to a no-decision and Hopkins' record will stand at 52-5-2 with the WBC having already ruled that 'The Executioner' would keep his title belt.

Testimony
"Justice was served today," said a delighted Hopkins.

"I am thrilled that the California State Athletic Commission did the right thing and removed that loss from my record. Mistakes happen, but what you do to fix those mistakes is what counts.

"The footage of the fight that was reviewed over and over again, proved to be the key testimony. I think it came down to the tape.

"Both of our sides were making good points, but it was a dinner without a turkey. The tape was the turkey. I am happy this ordeal is over.

"Now I can focus on continuing to rehab my shoulder and get ready to fight again, hopefully early next year. I will start my usual boxing routine in a couple of weeks and get ready to defend my titles again."

Not sure if this has been posted already but thought I would share just incase. Right decision I think can't believe it has taken this long to sort out!

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Hopkins v Daswon - No decision Empty Re: Hopkins v Daswon - No decision

Post by Union Cane Fri 16 Dec 2011, 5:06 pm

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=1414&cat=boxer

Don't tell Michaels!
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down