The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Lions Squad to face Bangaldesh announced

+2
guildfordbat
Gregers
6 posters

Go down

England Lions Squad to face Bangaldesh announced Empty England Lions Squad to face Bangaldesh announced

Post by Gregers Fri 16 Dec 2011, 6:25 pm

Squad is as follows:

James Taylor (Nottinghamshire - captain)
Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Scott Borthwick (Durham)
Danny Briggs (Hampshire)
Jack Brooks (Northants)
Nathan Buck (Leicestershire)
Jos Buttler (Somerset)
Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire)
Simon Kerrigan (Lancashire)
Tom Maynard (Surrey)
Stuart Meaker (Surrey)
Tymal Mills (Essex)
Boyd Rankin (Warwickshire)
Joe Root (Yorkshire)
Jason Roy (Surrey)
James Vince (Hampshire)

Personally I think this looks like a quality Lions side and its great to see such a young side being chosen.

Last edited by Gregers on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

England Lions Squad to face Bangaldesh announced Empty Re: England Lions Squad to face Bangaldesh announced

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 6:27 pm

tymal mills!!!!!!!!!!

surrey boys said quickest bowler they had faced all season. Bowls 90pmh + and he's only 19!

Back to top Go down

England Lions Squad to face Bangaldesh announced Empty Re: England Lions Squad to face Bangaldesh announced

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 6:39 pm

Nice to see the selectors want a look at Buck, he's a very promising talent.

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 16 Dec 2011, 6:42 pm

Looks like I won't be able to refer to Jason Roy as a future England player for much longer. king

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Fri 16 Dec 2011, 6:47 pm

The average age of the squad is about 20, that is planning for the future!

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 6:58 pm

What would everyone's XI be??

Mine:

Hales
Roy
Taylor (C)
Vince
Buttler
Bairstow (WK)
Borthwick
Kerrigan
Meaker
Rankin
Buck

I'd expect to see a bit of rotation though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 6:58 pm

dont like boyd rankin being in there to be honest. The lions squad is meant to be for players with a chance of playing for england, and IMO rankin isnt good enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:00 pm

1.Hales
2.Root
3.Taylor
4.Roy
5.Maynard
6.Buttler
7.Bairstow (wk)
8.Borthwick
9.Mills
10.Meaker
11.Brooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:06 pm

But at the same time, you'd expect the more experienced players to start to begin. I just can't see Mills or Root starting as of yet.

Rankin clearly has impressed someone and is a good bowler.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:07 pm

im happy with the side i picked, and to be honest, you can start the youngsters agianst bangladesh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:08 pm

Indeed you can, but maybe bedding them in gradually is a better approach, plus I think it's better to prioritise who's going to make the step up sooner and play those people more, if that makes sense?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:10 pm

Rankin is irish which annoys me. England have enough fast bowlers of their own without picking players from other countries.

The rest of the squad is fine, but I'm surprised no one in the England set up seems to rate Dawid Malan of middlesex as highly as I do.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:11 pm

it does make sense, thats the good thing about debate Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:13 pm

Mike, I'm a fan of Malan too. Very much enjoy watching him bat.

I think it's testament to the strength in depth we have at the moment that he can't get in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:16 pm

What about the other Essex guy, Topley was it? Looked a very good talent from what little I saw of him.

Is Woakes injured? Or with the full squad?

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by m@tt Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:17 pm

Strange that James Harris has missed out. Without him, Woakes and Shahzad (the latter two injured at present), the seam bowling dept. looks light.

But overall, some great talent in there. It's great to see the direction that the EPP and Lions have gone in recently.

In fact, looking at the squad, you can imagine the vast majority gaining a senior cap at some point in their career. Hales and Root may well be battling for Strauss' vacant place in a few years. Taylor has a massive future in both Tests and ODIs, could even be a FEC judging by his early captaincy of Leics and the Lions. Buttler could be a extremely useful #6/7 in the shorter stuff and Bairstow might be seen as Prior's long term replacement (as his keeping will no doubt improve with time), likewise Briggs with Swann. Maynard and Roy may well get an opportunity at some point, whilst Meaker and Borthwick will be around the limited overs side, although I can't see either becoming regulars. Vince is highly regarded too.
m@tt
m@tt

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 8:05 pm

I like the look of it generally. A little disappointed to see Nash and Carberry - two much improved cricketers who would have to be considered for the opening slot if Strauss/Cook got injured - missing out although this is a limited overs tour.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 16 Dec 2011, 8:09 pm

Woakes is the glaring omission, I gather he must either be injured or with the full squad?

We have a very exciting crop of youngsters, don't we? Excellent, looking forward to seeing their progress.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down