The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Being a World Champion going into the Olympics

+2
spencerclarke
Alberto Contador
6 posters

Go down

Being a World Champion going into the Olympics Empty Being a World Champion going into the Olympics

Post by Alberto Contador Tue 20 Dec - 13:25

What athletes have been affected by he pressure and expectation of going into the Olympics as World Champion to the extent that they drastically under perform? Anyone know of any examples? Smile

Alberto Contador

Back to top Go down

Being a World Champion going into the Olympics Empty Re: Being a World Champion going into the Olympics

Post by spencerclarke Wed 21 Dec - 7:31

if memory serves me right didn't Liu Xaing blow it big time in beijing?

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Being a World Champion going into the Olympics Empty Re: Being a World Champion going into the Olympics

Post by djlovesyou Wed 21 Dec - 8:23

spencerclarke wrote:if memory serves me right didn't Liu Xaing blow it big time in beijing?

Nope. He had a severely injured achilles tendon.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Dec - 8:35

Colin Jackson? but then I'm not sure he underperformed really, just came up against some truly excellent athletes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 21 Dec - 8:50

Dreamer it's just a case of another Welsh guy bottling it when it counts..... Sonia O'Sulllivan won the 95 5000m world and didn't place in Atlanta.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Dec - 8:54

ah, away with you Thomond! boxing

Being a World Champion going into the Olympics 3602195817

I can't think of any other specifics really? Maybe in a field event?

Back to top Go down

Post by trickstat Wed 21 Dec - 9:45

rugbydreamer wrote:Colin Jackson? but then I'm not sure he underperformed really, just came up against some truly excellent athletes.

The one time, Colin Jackson went to the Olympics as World Champ was Sydney 2000. His win in Seville in 1999 was helped by reigning Olympic & World Champion Allen Johnson being injured and, the World number 1 that year, Mark Crear being DQ'd for 2 false starts in the quarter finals. Going into Olympic year Jackson would have been seen as a contender but not really the favourite.

trickstat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Dec - 19:54

yeah wasn't sure he'd be a favourite trickstat, but I confess, I'm not so clued up on dates of when he won things, always remember him being a contender for sure though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 22 Dec - 5:05

Maybe Asafa Powell.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Dec - 5:25

I was thinking him Josiah, but then, I'm not 100% sure he's actually ever won the World Championships? the relay aye, but not sure on the individual Gold medal.

Back to top Go down

Post by trickstat Thu 22 Dec - 7:03

I can confirm that Asafa Powell has never won individual gold at the Olympics or World Champs.

trickstat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Dec - 9:18

didn't think he had trickstat, tis the Commonwealth games he's won, no?

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 22 Dec - 22:58

My mistake then, I guess he's one of those who can't control his mind in the biggest events..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by trickstat Fri 23 Dec - 7:14

Correct - Asafa Powell did win the Commonwealth Games back in 2006.

trickstat

Back to top Go down

Post by trickstat Fri 23 Dec - 9:56

In 1991 the World Champs were in the far east (Tokyo) and the 1992 Olympics in western Europe (Barcelona). In 2011 the World Champs were also in the far east (Daegu) and the 2012 Olympics will also be in western Europe (London).

A notable statistic is that of all the athletes who won individual titles in Tokyo in '91 only one Marie-Jose Perec (women's 400m) went on to win the Olympics in Barcelona.

While I personally think more of the Daegu champions will win in London, it does suggest that winning both titles in these circumstances is particularly tough. In both cases, the far eastern world champs took place relatively late in the season, which may be relevant.

trickstat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down