The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half

+13
doctor_grey
Sgt_Pooly
B91212
yappysnap
flankertye
Hood83
Bathman_in_London
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Effervescing Elephant
formerly known as Sam
Cumbrian
Geordie
LondonTiger
17 posters

Go down

Who should play Scrum half vs Scotland in the 6Ns

606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half Vote_lcap19%606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 8 ]
606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half Vote_lcap5%606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half Vote_lcap10%606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 4 ]
606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half Vote_lcap5%606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half Vote_lcap61%606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half Vote_rcap 61% 
[ 26 ]

Total Votes : 42

Poll closed

606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half Empty 606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half

Post by LondonTiger Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:20 am

Our pack now looks to be selected:

Corbs, Hartley, Cole
Lawes, Attwood
Wood, Easter, Robshaw

So time to pick the little general who will provide the link behind this mighty 8 (any sarcasm is purely in the eye of the reader) and what should be a dazzling back-line (again, absolutely no sarcasm intended, honest guv).

Youngs is starting to show some form following knee issues and if you are planning to select Flood you may want to keep this partnership. Care has looked good at Quins, would have his club No8 to work patterns with at scrum time, and is used to playing behind a non-dominant pack. Lee Dickson has looked very efficient and could be the ideal link man - but how would he cope without a dominant pack? Joe Simpson has spark, a great break but so-so passing, while he seems to be getting pulled off by Dai Young ever earlier. Then we have less experienced candidates such as Ben Spencer if you want a total break from the Johnno days.

Oh and there is always Andy Gommarsall Smile

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half Empty Re: 606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half

Post by Geordie Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:25 am

Ive gone for Youngs...but Care is a very close second....

while he seems to be getting pulled off by Dai Young ever earlier

Funny...we used to just get oranges..... Whistle Wink
(yes i know its an old one... Rolling Eyes )

Geordie

Back to top Go down

606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half Empty Re: 606 Picks the England Team to play Scotland in 6Ns - Scrum Half

Post by Cumbrian Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:12 am

One of the few positions where England have genuine competition that is at international level. I chose Ben Young, when England can get on the front foot he is deadly, he is also starting to learn how to deal with life on the back foot too.

Danny Care is a very good option too, he is becoming internationally experienced (32 caps) and will provide excellent back up.

My other thought on the situation is that it would be good to include a different style scrum half in the EPS (Youngs and Care are quite similar). Perhaps a player like Lee Dickson.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:01 am

Youngs, try last weekend showing his pace and this weekend a touch of class to wriggle through a gap and send the supporting player under the posts. His kicking is improving nicely as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:22 am

Just been reading a few articles on th RFU website and it looks like Lancaster, Farrell and Rowntree are looking to build a fresh, young team. Bodes well!

http://www.rfu.com/News/2011/December/News%20Articles/191212_Lancaster_catchup.aspx

http://www.rfu.com/News/2011/December/News%20Articles/121211_Rowntree_young_players.aspx

http://www.rfu.com/News/2011/December/News%20Articles/091211_Farrell_Rowntree.aspx

Fingers crossed eh!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:27 am

Matt Perry anyone?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:32 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Matt Perry anyone?

Could he BE any more of a full back? Very Happy
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:12 pm

I went for Youngs, but I would be perfectly happy with Care too, I think he has less zip about him but is maybe a bit more consistent?

Is Matt Perry still the most capped England fullback?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:17 pm

I went for Care. I think he controls the game better and is less likely to get flustered than Youngs.

Youngs has a better running game but i think has started to do what Care did for a while - dawdle over the ball too long.

To be honest, i think it's very close and just down to who is in better form. I would say though that the work Care has to do with a pack that is often less dominant than Leicester's is an important consideration.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:53 pm

Youngs and care are both quality options. I voted for youngs but I would have no problems with care starting.
My third scrumhalf would be Lee Dickson. How is he getting on this season with competition from Roberts?

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 20 Dec 2011, 3:52 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Matt Perry anyone?

I did consider offering Shaun Perry as he was the original first choice SH at the 2007 WC Smile

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 20 Dec 2011, 3:54 pm

Damn it, that's who I meant, his bro Shaun! Doh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 20 Dec 2011, 5:21 pm

Fullback, Scrumhalf. They're fairly similar...

I went with Youngs as I really like seeing Care come on and sort things out in the second half, one of the few positions where we can bring on a quality sub.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 20 Dec 2011, 5:56 pm

Voted Youngs. Would also want Care and Dickson as the other choices in the squad. Not a huge Simpson fan, amazing pace but as others have said a so/so pass and also is pretty poor in defense as well from what I've seen.

As a Saints fan I think Dickson has continued his good form that should have seen him make at least the Saxons last year. If anything having Roberts at the Gardens is helping his game as he isn't having to play a full 80 minutes every game anymore. He may also start getting a few games off!

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 20 Dec 2011, 6:37 pm

Very much a Youngs vote from me. Care is very good but Youngs has that something special that can turn a game on its head.

I'd also go for Dickson as third choice, Simpson is a speedster but has poor basics.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 20 Dec 2011, 6:47 pm

As much as I wanted to vote for Youngs, I couldn't do it. To me, he appears to still carry the RWC doledrums and does not look like he has regained his form. I do think he has the most upside of any of those choices.

I also still do not trust Care bossing a match, and whether can avoid the yellows of years past.

So I voted for Dickson. I still see nothing not to like. He gets the ball out faster than any of these gents, is a bit more aggressive on defense, and always appears in the right spot.

Actually all three are good choices, though none perfect.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:06 pm

Who voted for Spencer? Although I agree he looks an amazing prospect surely the Saxons is the best place for him for now.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:59 pm

Agreed. Spencer's basics are very, very good but there's no need to put so much pressure on him right now. With some very good and experienced SH's kicking about there is an opportunity to let him learn his trade in peace. If he keeps developing, give it a season or two you can see him being very much in the England frame.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:28 pm

I'd say leave Spencer with Sarries for now. He'd gain more from Jeff experience than he would for a couple of Saxon games against weak opposition (generally). If he doesn't cement his place he's going to be behind Wigglesworth and De Kock when everyone is fit.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:42 am

To me, he appears to still carry the RWC doledrums and does not look like he has regained his form

Did you see any of the Clermont games? He really has started to look more like his old self. Particularly in the Welford Rd leg.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:51 am

HammerofThunor wrote:I'd say leave Spencer with Sarries for now. He'd gain more from Jeff experience than he would for a couple of Saxon games against weak opposition (generally). If he doesn't cement his place he's going to be behind Wigglesworth and De Kock when everyone is fit.

Agree with you. For the record I didn't vote for Spencer. I voted for Youngs. Spencer is an excellent prospect though.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:57 am

Youngs got my vote
Although agree that Care is looking very good this season
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 22 Dec 2011, 3:54 am

It's a shame Karl Dickson is injured at the moment. Care would have had difficulty getting the quartered 9 shirt back from him, but he damaged a hand just as Danny got back from his toe injury. Doesn't have the game changing ability of either Care or Youngs but was hugely consistent and an excellent boss of his forwards for the opening games of the season.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down