The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martinez vs Williams Rubber Match?

+3
samevans1
tommyhearns
Valero's Conscience
7 posters

Go down

Martinez vs Williams Rubber Match? Empty Martinez vs Williams Rubber Match?

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 15 Mar 2011, 2:52 pm

I know it may sound crazy due to the fashion of the manner of which Williams was KO'd but their first match was close and the 2nd match was ended with one of those 'once in a fighter's career' kind of shots and no one can surely expect the same result if they fought again or at least not as quick and devastating?

If Martinez cannot get the other Middleweight champs to fight or other alluring fights, should this fight be pushed for?

Martinez hasn't got time on his side and if he can't get the bigger fights it will at least be a 'biggish' name, will be PPV for added earnings for him and of course gain a high-profile trilogy which is always good for a legacy.

Williams also gets his chance at redemption, although might be hesitant to pursue.

I believe Williams is back in action around May so would allow him a tune up fight, allow Martinez to have a fight himself and set up a clash for the end of this year.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Martinez vs Williams Rubber Match? Empty Re: Martinez vs Williams Rubber Match?

Post by tommyhearns Tue 15 Mar 2011, 3:17 pm

i read somewhere williams is going back down to welter?? no need for a 3rd fight here,i hope the pac team dont pull the ole catchweight stuff with him regarding a fight,at least nothing lower than 154 anyways!! furious

tommyhearns

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Tue 15 Mar 2011, 3:19 pm

Maybe a good idea; but Williams needs a couple of fights do get confidence back first.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 15 Mar 2011, 3:20 pm

I think if Williams wanted it he would've had a tune up against somebody at light middle at least, but in moving to welter he's getting as far away from Martinez as possible.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 15 Mar 2011, 10:09 pm

Unless williams changes his entire fight style he is going to get knocked out again. He has no defence and relies on volume punching. I would actually bet on a knockout within 5 rounds. Sergio has his number.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Wed 16 Mar 2011, 2:06 pm

i present to you, exhibit A

http://www.boxingscene.com/paul-williams-denies-147-return-wants-martinez-trilogy--37035
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Wed 16 Mar 2011, 6:54 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Unless williams changes his entire fight style he is going to get knocked out again. He has no defence and relies on volume punching. I would actually bet on a knockout within 5 rounds. Sergio has his number.

Completely agree. I've never rated Williams, and the new, bigger, stronger Martinez will flatten him again just as easily.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down