The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

just over a month until the six nations,

+12
robshaw4england
munkian
TJ1
bathmad
Shifty
eirebilly
Taylorman
maestegmafia
Morgannwg
flyhalffactory
SecretFly
poddy89
16 posters

Go down

just over a month until the six nations, Empty just over a month until the six nations,

Post by poddy89 Tue 27 Dec 2011, 4:03 pm

what players do you think will make a name for themselves in this years competion?

who do you think will win? and how will the final table look?

any thoughts on the competion?

poddy89

Back to top Go down

just over a month until the six nations, Empty Re: just over a month until the six nations,

Post by SecretFly Tue 27 Dec 2011, 8:57 pm

As the general chat about Six Nations has already began on other threads, I'll just comment on the Who "will make a name for themselves'' question.

Assuming a person who makes a name for themselves is someone who hasn't already done a little of it already, I'll be controversal in an Irish context and say that an international nobody, Dave Kearney, will find his way onto the Irish side and make a name for himself in the process Wink

Cue the outrage from the 'thou shalt not enter an untested player into Test duty' brigade if they catch this post....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

just over a month until the six nations, Empty Re: just over a month until the six nations,

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 28 Dec 2011, 12:20 am

What about your view poddy89?
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 28 Dec 2011, 12:29 am

Greg Laidlaw, Duncan Weir, Tim Visser.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Dec 2011, 12:43 am

I agree with Visser definitely, hopefully North and Cuthbert too. Tuilagi and maybe Robshaw for England, Mermoz and Malzieu for France, Fitzpatrick and Kearney look great for Ireland, Beinvenuti for Italy.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 28 Dec 2011, 8:10 am

After seeing all the teams so closely here during the WCup, the 6N feels a lot closer to us as Kiwis from down here who dont get as much exposure to the players.

I have to go on form with France and Wales both looking to make up for what they probably thought was a WC chance gone begging, then Ireland who showed more than England, who really need to sort their steering out, and Scotland and Italy who need to make big improvements.

Simple and straightforward prediction but I see no reason to alter it.

I'll be supporting Wales again after what I thought were the best WC performances of the 6 but geez if they let me down again... furious

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 28 Dec 2011, 8:25 am

I see it in 3 groups of 2 teams to be honest.

Wales and France will fight it out for the championship with France winning but no GS.

Ireland and England fighting it out for 3rd and 4th, to close to call either way but i suspect Ireland for 3rd.

Italy and Scotland with the Scots taking 5th spot.

Some names spring to mind that i feel will have big 6N's are Connor Murray (Ireland), Manu Tuigiali (England), Trinh Duc (France), George North (Wales), Richie Grey (Scotland) and Beinvenuti (Italy).
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 28 Dec 2011, 8:33 am

I hear- dare I say it- the infamous...Henson is making a run... censored

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 28 Dec 2011, 8:44 am

I would be amazed if he made the squad Taylorman Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:07 am

Taylorman wrote:I hear- dare I say it- the infamous...Henson is making a run... censored
He has a had one game back and looked good. Lets see what happens a little closer to the Squad announcement. But if he is in good form he will be in.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:14 am

im really hoping we get some younger players into the set up, with paterson retiring it has opened up a position for maybe hogg or cuthbert, i dont think morrison should be near the squad at all so we could give jones a go, also no10 parks is too unreliable so we should try and stick to getting wier and laidlaw in and jackson as a back up.

with a few changes in the backs who knows we might get something too cheer about.

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:52 am

The first year after a World Cup is normally a messy 6 Nations with teams showing no consistency.
Ireland look pretty settled, and their extra experienced players might just pull them through.
Wales can only really compete if their injury free and they look to be decimated which normally means we'll finish 3rd-5th.
We can't afford injuries to our front 5 and we have been cut to pieces there.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Wed 28 Dec 2011, 11:51 am

Morgannwg wrote:Greg Laidlaw, Duncan Weir, Tim Visser.

Doesn't Visser already have caps for Netherlands???

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 28 Dec 2011, 12:02 pm

No - Visser has not played for the Netherlands - but he is not Scotland qualified by residency until the summer

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Wed 28 Dec 2011, 2:04 pm

OK Thanks. Strange he's done so well up at Edinburgh, I recall him being pretty awful at Newcastle.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 28 Dec 2011, 4:10 pm

bathmad wrote:OK Thanks. Strange he's done so well up at Edinburgh, I recall him being pretty awful at Newcastle.

He looks good compared to Scottish players laughing Run
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Dec 2011, 4:25 pm

Some players find form later in life, or at clubs that play a different type of rugby. Certainly no resisting his current form.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:37 pm

Robshaw will make a name for himself as an outstanding grand slam winning captain and formidable player. Rolling Eyes

Mike Brown will impress on the international stage along with Brad Barritt, hopefully George Robson will gain recognition along with Joe Marler.

I'm sure Owen Farrell will feature at some point as well.

For Scotland I feel one of the young aspiring fly halves will hopefully impress. (Laidlaw/Weir)

For Wales i'm hoping Cardiff winger Alex Cuthbert gains more international recognition.

For France i like the look of young half back Jean Marc-Dossain, potentially a very good player.

For Italy I literally have absolutely no idea, but hoping a few bright youngsters will emerge!

For Ireland I reckon Felix Jones could be a really good player, if given more international game time.

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:55 pm

robshaw4england wrote:Robshaw will make a name for himself as an outstanding grand slam winning captain and formidable player. Rolling Eyes

Mike Brown will impress on the international stage along with Brad Barritt, hopefully George Robson will gain recognition along with Joe Marler.

I'm sure Owen Farrell will feature at some point as well.

Not sure i agree with you there mate. Saull completely outplayed Robshaw this week, Mike Brown had few answers for the Sarries questions and Marler looked a little dim and a bit of a thug...! I think England will be looking for better players.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:25 pm

I don't think Saull outplayed Robshaw in the slightest, they both have completely different styles. Robshaw is more of a traditional blindside (although was playing at 7) who ball carries (makes the hard yards) does a lot of unseen work, through his tackle count and high work rate, his leadership and link play is also very impressive. Saull uses his pace to hit lines in attack and get to the breakdown to attempt to win turnovers and pressure the opposition.

Saull was impressive in defence against Quins, winning a couple of good turnovers, but he is yet to be the complete player. He isn't a particularly strong ball carrier. Robshaw is a far more complete player. Against Saracens Robshaw didn't make a single mistake, bar one knock on from Easter, he carried superbly, tackled to his high standards and linked the play very nicely if it wasn't for a couple of individual errors on the Quins side. (e.g. marlers intercepted pass or fa'asavalu's getting hit in the head by the ball with 10 mins to go) people would be singing Robshaw's praises.

Albeit Saull played very well and I can't take that away from him, however he did not "completely outplay" Robshaw.

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by Meflanker Thu 29 Dec 2011, 4:01 am

I agree Saull was outstanding in the first half but in fairness I thought Robshaw completely stepped up in the 2nd half and was incredible (the guy was everywhere, his work rate is unreal!) making loads of strong carries.

Meflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:04 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Not sure i agree with you there mate. Saull completely outplayed Robshaw this week, Mike Brown had few answers for the Sarries questions and Marler looked a little dim and a bit of a thug...! I think England will be looking for better players.

Eh? Shocked

As others have said, Saull played well, but Robshaw stepped up big time in the second half. Robshaw has been fantastic this season.

Brown had a decent game with some good breaks and always looks lively. He's also been excellent this season.

Marler, still not sure about his scrummaging but was excellent in the loose. He's had a good season so far and should be in the mix.

Still, maybe this is the only game you've seen them play this season maesteg? If you watched a bit more you wouldn't be saying this I'm sure!

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:09 am

Hard to say, as most reports i've read had Saull as MOM if Barritt had not been given it.
But when it comes down to it Robshaw has been playing more this season so should be ahead in the pecking order, its good that we have two quality players to choose from

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:12 am

Saulls barely got a game for Sarries this year though, it takes more than playing well in one high profile game to get called up.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:13 am

Marler i'm not convinced about, loads of praise about how good he is ment to be in the loose, but the cant scrum and thats what we need a bloody good strong prop to give up a platform.

The interception showed that he still needs to think a bit more, before he can step up

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:15 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Saulls barely got a game for Sarries this year though, it takes more than playing well in one high profile game to get called up.
thats what i said, he has had games but from the bench, while Robshaw has been starting and playing well so should be ahead.

You could say that about 36, one good game an international superstar does not make

edit. However Saull's performance over the last 2 seasons should get him called up

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:25 am

Knackeredknees wrote:Marler i'm not convinced about, loads of praise about how good he is ment to be in the loose, but the cant scrum and thats what we need a bloody good strong prop to give up a platform.

The interception showed that he still needs to think a bit more, before he can step up
He spent a lot of time giving afters to people as well. Needs to concentrate on Rugby and not trying to get binned. With that stupid haircut I am surprised he doesn't get in more trouble.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 29 Dec 2011, 12:11 pm

From an Irish perspective I've a pretty long wishlist

1) Win the competition (maybe not completely realistic but do-able)
2) To vastly improve our attacking play
3) To give some younsters time- Toner, Ryan, O'Mahony, Murray, Keatley, Madigan, O'Malley
4) I want to see someone (not Earls) step up to take the 13 jersey and someone else (mcFadden) take the 12.

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Thu 29 Dec 2011, 2:46 pm

your irish wishlist is pretty similar to my scottish one,

we need to start with a knew 10/12 partnership as we've got morrision who kills any sniff of attack we get, so definately not parks/morrison seen it too much with no result to back it up.

scotland have more game time than usual this year and i want to see new blood in the squad, our talent pool is slowly growing and finnaly there is actual competiotion for places,

just keep morrision, parks, dannelli, southwell, blair completely away from the squad, lets not have lamont at 12 as hes a winger,

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down