The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chuck Wepner movie in 2012? (ROCKY SPOILERS)

+2
LivinginItaly
John Bloody Wayne
6 posters

Go down

Chuck Wepner movie in 2012? (ROCKY SPOILERS) Empty Chuck Wepner movie in 2012? (ROCKY SPOILERS)

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 27 Dec 2011, 11:02 pm

I heard a very interesting radio interview recently with the inspiration for Rocky - Chuck Wepner. He had many interesting tales on fighting Ali, Liston, Andre the giant and even a bear! Also his associaton with Stallone and the movie business. Which lead to mention of a movie that's potentially being made with some big names including Harvey Keitel. A movie about Chuck Wepner.

Surely this begs one simple question: Why Chuck Wepner?

Not long ago, after a future Roberto Duran movie came to light, one or two members pointed out how odd it was that generally the big budget boxing movies (outside of Ali) never seem to be about black fighters. James Braddock and Mickey Ward have both had hollywood films, hardly elite examples of boxing greatness.

What does everybody think of the prospect of a Chuck Wepner movie? A man from an absolute golden era of heavyweights who was beaten with something to spare by the best he faced, and some other less renowned fighters gets his story told while the stories of greats like Frazier are left on the sidelines. Liston had phantom punch but that was abit of a B movie from what I've read.

Chuck Wepner: A Man and His Moustache

Last edited by John Bloody Wayne on Thu 29 Dec 2011, 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : DAVE)

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Chuck Wepner movie in 2012? (ROCKY SPOILERS) Empty Re: Chuck Wepner movie in 2012? (ROCKY SPOILERS)

Post by LivinginItaly Tue 27 Dec 2011, 11:25 pm

I read an article about this on the bbc website, they stated that chuck wepner was the inspiration for the Rocky movies, as a young stallone watched him challenge for the heavyweight title against Ali (if I remember correctly) in philadelphia, and being inspired to write the screenplay for the first rocky film. Therefore the reason for a film about him is obviously from a marketing perspective, as they can bill it as the real rocky.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Chuck Wepner movie in 2012? (ROCKY SPOILERS) Empty Re: Chuck Wepner movie in 2012? (ROCKY SPOILERS)

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 28 Dec 2011, 12:34 am

The films about LaMotta, Braddock and Ali all made sense to me although the Ward one never interested me as he ultimately never achieved anything so unlike the Cinderella man didn't have the against all odds aspect to it nor would Wepner. Also don't understand where the marketability for films about Wepner or Ward comes from, nobody really knows them, the boxing fans don't really remember them so it baffles me to be honest.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:16 am

I'm back, the office would quite literally fall apart without me.

Think that Ward was relatively well known, but they didn't sell the film on it being about Ward really, they sold it on more being a dramatic piece of cinema and struggles with his family and boxing career.

With Wepner there's the selling point of it being the "Real Life Rocky Story" another easy selling point. We don't know whether it will crash or not however.

Braddock isn't exactly what you would call well known either though, outside of boxing fans. In fact really not very well known outside of hardcore boxing fans I would imagine.

For these movies I don't really think it is the person that sells them particularly well, I think it's more the actors participating and the reviews of how good the movie is really.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:41 am

I'm back, the office would quite literally fall apart without me.

And we have no mods or admins..............

And i didn't know cleaners had offices

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:53 am

Laugh For starters, there's nothing wrong with being a cleaner, it's a noble profession.

For seconds, I have a beautiful desk, and I'm no cleaner Wink

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:06 am

How can a desk be 'beautiful'..? My god, you make Dale Winton look butch!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:41 am

I look at my desk and I see an object of beauty, my dear friend.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:47 am

I look at my desk and then at a gorgeous coworker of mine (not your sort Alex) put two and two together and come up with 5.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:52 am

The Fighter is as much about Dicky Ecklund as it is about Ward and it works because there was a good dramatic story to be told about that family. If it had purely been about Ward it would have climaxed (fnar fnar) with the Gatti trilogy.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:55 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I look at my desk and then at a gorgeous coworker of mine (not your sort Alex) put two and two together and come up with 5.

Do they both give you wood?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:56 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:I look at my desk and then at a gorgeous coworker of mine (not your sort Alex) put two and two together and come up with 5.

Do they both give you wood?

That's so unfunny it should warrant a ban.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 28 Dec 2011, 11:20 am

Sad Made me chuckle whilst writing it... Perhaps that says a lot about me though.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Dec 2011, 7:59 am

Unless Wepner went on to win the World title in a rematch with Ali, got beaten by a Tyson-esque figure, regained it from aforementioned Tyson-esque figure, saw his best friend killed by a Klitbot then defeated the Klitbot, retired due to injury, lost all his money, trained a young buck who then won the World title but betrayed him, only to be defeated by Wepner in a street brawl, disappeared for several years before returning to give a mediocre Champion 12 hard rounds and then hanging 'em up for good, I think it would be best to leave the Chuck Wepner Story where it belongs...under the title "Rocky"

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 29 Dec 2011, 12:34 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Unless Wepner went on to win the World title in a rematch with Ali, got beaten by a Tyson-esque figure, regained it from aforementioned Tyson-esque figure, saw his best friend killed by a Klitbot then defeated the Klitbot, retired due to injury, lost all his money, trained a young buck who then won the World title but betrayed him, only to be defeated by Wepner in a street brawl, disappeared for several years before returning to give a mediocre Champion 12 hard rounds and then hanging 'em up for good, I think it would be best to leave the Chuck Wepner Story where it belongs...under the title "Rocky"

That's that box set ruined.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 29 Dec 2011, 12:50 pm

Brilliant article name change.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down