The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will there be any Welsh restructure this year?

+6
Chunky Norwich
Kingshu
JayMaster3000
red_stag
maestegmafia
Jimmy Moz
10 posters

Go down

Will there be any Welsh restructure this year? Empty Will there be any Welsh restructure this year?

Post by Jimmy Moz Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:50 pm

I’m hearing all different rumours. Wales is going down to 3 regions. There is to be a development region in the Valleys. The 4 regions are to be made into proper provinces like Ireland has. Anyone heard any news or further rumours or do you think Welsh domestic rugby will not have changed by the end of the year?

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Will there be any Welsh restructure this year? Empty Re: Will there be any Welsh restructure this year?

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:03 pm

Hadn't heard that. What are your sources?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Will there be any Welsh restructure this year? Empty Re: Will there be any Welsh restructure this year?

Post by red_stag Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:14 pm

To be honest Jimmy I don't know where you heard any of that. Id be amazed if a major restructure of Welsh rugby was to be done this year. Any proposals would be surely for down the line.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:46 pm

A lot of my sources are just rumours and speculation I must admit. Surley domestic Welsh rugby can't go on as it is though.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:25 am

Why?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:57 am

I was thinking about the old Valley region the other day.

Does anyone think if the valley region had remained open they would have been a success?

I could see, if the region was allowed to be called the Valley Ravens, they could pull in pretty big crowds?

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:53 am

maestegmafia wrote:Why?

Rubbish crowds, passionless games, too many NWQ players, alienated supporters, lack of depth, lack of talent coming through....

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:57 am

JayMaster3000 wrote:I was thinking about the old Valley region the other day.

Does anyone think if the valley region had remained open they would have been a success?

I could see, if the region was allowed to be called the Valley Ravens, they could pull in pretty big crowds?

There is a plan in place to bring back a region to the Valleys. I know some of the people behind it and its fair to say its still in its infancy stage at the moment but its main aim is for a develpoment region like Connacht. No doubt the other self satisfying regions and their supporters will shout it down as unviable but watch this space I guess.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:05 am

Jimmy Moz wrote:

Rubbish crowds, passionless games, too many NWQ players, alienated supporters, lack of depth, lack of talent coming through....

Scarlets have had so far this season: two record crowds (one just shy of a sell out), we start with 2 NWQ I believe at most and that's it, alientated supporters? no our crowds are up game on game, lack of depth? no, that's why we were able to field a virtually completely changed 22 against the Dragons, lack of talent? er no, that's why we're seeing the likes of Rhodri Jones and Liam Williams getting called up to Wales training camps, as well as the emergence of players like George North and Scott Williams.

Now that's just from a Scarlets pov but am sure a lot of your points can be argued against by the other regions aswell Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:25 am

Well said Dreamer...! I couldn't be bothered acknowledging the post myself.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:35 am

ooo I forgot to reply to this point about passionless games: very wrong, both home games against Munster and the O's were very, very full of passion. Brilliant atmosphere at the stadium.

Ha Maes, twas actually a welcome distraction from work!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:24 am

I though the Welsh Prem was just redone to fall in line with the regions, certain number of teams each at top level etc,

I doubt that they'd redo the regoins after this, if they were going to do it surely when they did the Welsh Prem was the time??

But maybe there were a lot of Questions about Bridgeend being allowed to stay, maybe the purpose was to have two teams to form a developent team, Bridgeend-Ponty development team, all others have 3 clubs in there region, and Scarlets have 2??????

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:30 am

Scarlets have 3

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:38 am

Originally we were just going to have Llandovery and Llanelli as our feeder clubs in the premiership in the new restructuring,but just as Bridgend have been allowed to stay, so have Carmarthen Quins (although I believe those two aren't guaranteed yet, something to do with being funded by the regions and not sure they can afford it!). So we should have 3.

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Lack of talent coming through? Capped since 2008 slam:

Ryan Bevington
Lloyd Burns
Craig Mitchell
Bradley Davies
-
Dan Lydiate
Sam Warburton
Toby Faletau

Lloyd Williams
Rhys Priestland
George North
Jon Davies
Scott Williams
Alex Cuthbert
Leigh Halfpenny

Off the top of my head - not so bad...

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Capped since 2009 Grand Slam:

01 Cian Healy
02 Sean Cronin
03 Mike Ross

04 Donnacha Ryan
05 Devin Toner

06 Kevin McLaughlin
07 Niall Ronan
08 Sean O'Brien

09 Conor Murray
10 Jonathan Sexton

12 Fergus McFadden
13 Darren Cave

11 Keith Earls
14 Denis Hurley
15 Felix Jones
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:44 pm

The Welsh Premiership is re-stucturing which may be what you have heard about, it will go from 12 clubs to 10.

There are a lot of issues up in the air with the regions, but none are close to bankrupcy as far as I know.
They each have £6 million from the WRU, and £3.5 to spend on wages for their 38 man European cup squad.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:04 pm

red_stag wrote:Capped since 2009 Grand Slam:

01 Cian Healy
02 Sean Cronin
03 Mike Ross

04 Donnacha Ryan
05 Devin Toner

06 Kevin McLaughlin
07 Niall Ronan
08 Sean O'Brien

09 Conor Murray
10 Jonathan Sexton

12 Fergus McFadden
13 Darren Cave

11 Keith Earls
14 Denis Hurley
15 Felix Jones

Earls was capped before the 2009 grand slam wasn't he? Ah yes, v Canada in 2008. Sorry Stag!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:08 pm

Oh, and Donnacha Ryan was Nov 2008. Thanks Wikipedia.

Still, that's still a very good team of 'new blood' that would do well in the 6 nations of all picked together.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:58 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Originally we were just going to have Llandovery and Llanelli as our feeder clubs in the premiership in the new restructuring,but just as Bridgend have been allowed to stay, so have Carmarthen Quins (although I believe those two aren't guaranteed yet, something to do with being funded by the regions and not sure they can afford it!). So we should have 3.

Bridgend are apparently owned by Llandarcy (the Ospreys) and are rumoured to be given a budget of £100k per season, not including the people who the Ospreys employ to work there, such as head coach Tandy and any duel registered players.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:54 am

Jimmy Moz wrote:

I believe bar this season (which started during the RWC, and some matches clashed days with internationals) season ticket sales for all the regions (and average gates) have grown year upon year.

I guess it all depends on what you calss as a passionless game. I personally see a heap of passion in the welsh derby matches, even though they may not be the most attractive games, I think it is hard to argue the amount of heart that goes into the games from fans and players alike.

The number of NWQ players has dropped significantly over the past few seasons, and the quality of the NWQs have risen significantly. I mean can you remember some of the real dross NWQs we have had like Craig Dunlea (and a good handfull of others).

Alienated supporters, well i travel a 120 mile round trip to support my 'local' region, so I can't understand any reason for anyone else to whinge about not having a team on the door step.

Lack of depth/talent coming through. Do you actually watch the regions at all? They all have some really talented youngsters and with the exception fo the Dragons, they other three have the ability to feild two competitivie 23 man squads.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Jimmy Moz wrote:Rubbish crowds, passionless games, too many NWQ players, alienated supporters, lack of depth, lack of talent coming through....

You do realise the Ospreys lose Mike Phillips, James Hook, Marty Holah, Ben Lewis, Andy Lloyd, Craig Mitchell, Jerry Collins and Jamie Nutbrown at the end of least season, and still managed to beat Munsters first choice squad, with 19 players missing due t international call ups?

Have you had a look at Ryan Bevington (23), Justin Tipuric (22), Morgan Allen (21), Rhys Webb (23), Dan Biggar (22), Ashley Beck (21), Matthew Morgan (19), James King (21), Hanno Dirksen (20), Tom Prydie (19), Eli Walker (19), Kristian Phillips (21) and Luke Morgan (19)?
And that's just at the Ospreys.

Throw in Scarlets like:
Liam Williams (20), George North (19), Scott Williams (21)

And Blues like:
Lloyd Williams (22), Alex Cuthbert (21), Leigh Halfpenny (22), Josh Navidi (21), Scott Andrews (22)

Then Dragons:
Jason Tovey (22), Toby Faletau (21), Steffan Jones (21)

And you can see Wales have a lot of young talent coming through! Yahoo

Wales could take this back line to the U20 world cup!
15 Tom Prydie (19)
14 Eli Walker (19)
13 George North (19)
11 Luke Morgan (19)
10 Matthew Morgan (19)
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:54 pm

AlynDavies wrote:The Welsh Premiership is re-stucturing which may be what you have heard about, it will go from 12 clubs to 10.

The Welsh Premiership consists of 14 teams at present and was to be reduced to 10, but Bridgend and Carmarthen Quins have since been brought back into the fold, so as it stands there will be 12 teams in the reformed WP next season. But don't hold your breath. This is Welsh rugby and nothing is straight forward. Pontypool aren't happy for starters.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down