The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible Rule Changes

+3
asdral225
Ctrl Freak
LonelyDarth
7 posters

Go down

Possible Rule Changes Empty Possible Rule Changes

Post by LonelyDarth Wed 16 Mar 2011, 6:25 pm

Just read an interesting article on NFL.com that at the next owners meeting in New Orleans the owners will discuss changing a few rules.

These include: defensless players, kickoffs, touchbacks, and coaches challenges.

Rules defining a defenseless player will be expanded and now will include eight categories:

» A quarterback in the act of throwing;

» A receiver trying to catch a pass;

» A runner already in the grasp of tacklers and having his forward progress stopped;

» A player fielding a punt or a kickoff;

» A kicker or punter during the kick;

» A quarterback at any time after change of possession;

» A receiver who receives a blind-side block;

» A player already on the ground.

At next week's owners meetings in New Orleans, the competition committee will propose moving the kickoff up to the 35 yard-line, and bringing a touchback out to the 25. There would be no changes for touchbacks on any other plays, with the ball coming out to the 20.

No player other than the kicker would be allowed to line up more than 5 yards behind the ball, and the committee will suggest outlawing the wedge on kickoffs; all blocking wedges were reduced to two players in 2009.

Another proposal the committee will bring to the owners on Monday would be making all scoring plays reviewable. This change would empower the replay official to order replays on any touchdowns, field goals, safeties and extra points without the coaches needing to challenge. It would be similar to the current system for the final two minutes of each half and for overtime. It also would mirror what colleges do on scoring plays for entire games.

Eliminating a third coach's challenge if he is successful on the first two also will be proposed.

LonelyDarth

Back to top Go down

Possible Rule Changes Empty Re: Possible Rule Changes

Post by LonelyDarth Wed 16 Mar 2011, 6:37 pm

I'd like all these changes if they're made, making teams kickoff from the 35 and bringing the touchback on kickoffs to the 25 will make kickoffs a lot more skillful, but on the other hand, I don't know if this would count as a kickoff touchback, it could entice more kneel downs rather than players trying to return the kick. I think if they change it they should include kneel downs in the kicking touchback because it's not the returners fault the kicker kicked that far.

As with the every scoring play being reviewable rule I really like it, I watched a lot of College ball last season and it adds to the suspense of the whole game.

I'm not too sure about the coaches challenge rule though. Taking away the third challenge if the first two are correct is a punishment, it means a lot of coaches will be more nonchalant with their 2nd challenge in hope of gaining a third.

What do you guys think?

LonelyDarth

Back to top Go down

Post by LonelyDarth Wed 16 Mar 2011, 6:47 pm

In other news Chad Ochocinco is having tryouts at Sporting Kansas City in the MLS.

LonelyDarth

Back to top Go down

Post by Ctrl Freak Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:09 pm

LonelyDarth wrote:» A quarterback in the act of throwing

Errr... Hang on... So a QB in the act of throwing would not be able to be tackled?

Or am I being thick...

Ctrl Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by LonelyDarth Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:16 pm

Ctrl Freak wrote:
LonelyDarth wrote:» A quarterback in the act of throwing

Errr... Hang on... So a QB in the act of throwing would not be able to be tackled?

Or am I being thick...

I think that would be late hits, like just after the QB releases the ball.

The one that I'm most curious about is "» A quarterback at any time after change of possession', does this mean the QB can have a free shot at a player running for a pick six, or does change of possession mean when a receiver or RB has the ball. I think the latter would be what they mean because the first bit I mentioned sounds more and more stupid every time I say it in my head.

LonelyDarth

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:51 pm

Surely if the QB can not be touched in turn he can not touch another player
Where does the act of throwing end? I thinking about any follow through on long throws the arm will need to be exteneded
If a player is on the ground wouldn't that be a late hit in any case?
How much time will the scoring reviews add to a game?
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 8:15 pm

Not sure what I feel about some of these.

There were definitely need to be (and obviously will be at some point) clarification over what is meant by those referring to QBs. I don't like the idea that he could tackle someone after throwing an interception and the defending team, which would then be returning the interception, could not block him.

I'm also against, on first impression at least, the idea of reviewing all scoring plays. I like the fact that coaches are punished if they have used their challenges by that point and have wasted them on incorrect calls. This seems to be saying 'Why not throw away your challenge on that marginal call that won't gain you much even if you're right, we'll let you off the hook by reviewing the touchdown later anyway.' More than happy to be convinced otherwise though.

The kickoff changes definitely force a bit more skill from the kickers however, like those proposed changes.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 17 Mar 2011, 9:56 am

There is far too much protection for QBs imo. I think the "change of posession" refers to a handoff or throw rather than an interception or fumble recovery.

As far as "A quarterback in the act of throwing" goes, this is ridiculous. Defensive linemen will have to make sure they are definitely going to get a sack before hitting the QB? Give me a break...

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 17 Mar 2011, 12:32 pm

Good article on nfl.com here:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/16/proposed-rule-changes-marginalize-special-teams/?module=HP_spotlight

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballOasis&Hatton Thu 17 Mar 2011, 9:17 pm

QB's are too well protected as it is. If they cant take a decent lick when theyre exposed theyre in the wrong sport. WR's seem to cope well enough being tackle in vulnerable positions

FootballOasis&Hatton

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Thu 17 Mar 2011, 11:57 pm

Well, once the NFL finishes testing the new bubble wrap it's working on as part of expanded QB equipment, it will all be a moot point.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down