The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long will Steven Shingler case drag on for?

+4
Knowsit17
Cymroglan
mpc28
8 posters

Go down

How long will Steven Shingler case drag on for? Empty How long will Steven Shingler case drag on for?

Post by 123456789 Wed 11 Jan 2012, 8:50 pm

How long will it be before the IRB present their cased on Steven Shingler?

This isn't for people to reopen the debate on his eligibility again I think that's been done enough but I was just wondering how long it will be before this case, which is good for no on, is over.

Back to top Go down

How long will Steven Shingler case drag on for? Empty Re: How long will Steven Shingler case drag on for?

Post by Guest Wed 11 Jan 2012, 9:20 pm

You'd hope it would be in the next few weeks as there's a chance Scotland may want to pick him in their match day squad for the first 6N match.

Back to top Go down

How long will Steven Shingler case drag on for? Empty Re: How long will Steven Shingler case drag on for?

Post by mpc28 Wed 11 Jan 2012, 9:27 pm

Something like this should be sorted within a couple of weeks for the good of the player involved!

Does anybody know if he is allowed to train with Scotland while this is being dealt with?

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 11 Jan 2012, 9:34 pm

He will be with his club

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 11 Jan 2012, 9:41 pm

As long as it takes for him to wonder how he could have ever been so silly and realize that his heart was with Wales all along Wink

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 11 Jan 2012, 10:57 pm

Unfortunately this seems like something which will drag on forever unless the Players Association gets involved to pressure for a solution.

Not sure this is true, but did I hear the IRB is interested, not because of the player, but because they are concerned about national qualification rules?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 11 Jan 2012, 11:07 pm

Let's change the rules and make them easier to enforce.

1) You are tied to a country once you get a full cap.

2) Residency rule increased to six years.

3) Get rid of grandparents from eligibility rule.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 11 Jan 2012, 11:10 pm

I think it will be better for everyone involved once it's sorted out and hopefully in time for the six nations

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 12 Jan 2012, 1:15 am

Cymroglan wrote:Let's change the rules and make them easier to enforce.

1) You are tied to a country once you get a full cap.

2) Residency rule increased to six years.

3) Get rid of grandparents from eligibility rule.

Agree with 3) and almost with 2), it should be five years rather than six or three. It takes five to get full citizenship if you're an immigrant therefore the same should go for rugby eligibility.

Not sure about 1), it sounds fairly straightforward but at the same time I think the WRU should shoulder some responsibility and just bring in an A side. They did say a couple of seasons back that there were designs to reintroduce the A's in Wales before lapsing into complete silence ever since...

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 12 Jan 2012, 8:44 am

It shouldn't take very long to reach a judgement on Shingler's eligibility - the deciding factor seems to be whether the France U20 team was properly considered their second senior side, and that should be easy enough for the IRB to clarify (I don't want to guess which way this judgement will go, because of the occasional presence of a France A side).

The issue of Shingler's non-signing of a declaration of eligibility shouldn't be an issue with regard to whether he is committed to Wales (although might end up with a fine for the WRU for not getting the correct forms signed and submitted for the match), and I can't see how he can argue he wasn't notified by the WRU that he was committing himself to Wales since he's arguing that he told them he wanted to keep his options open.

The eligibility rule is a bit of a mess at the moment because of the description of 'second senior' side in the wording. This means (for example) an England U20 player is not committing to England regardless of who he plays against, and a Wales U20 player is not committing for Wales if he plays against England, Ireland or Italy but may well be if he plays against France.

Much more clear if the rule was changed so that you are tied to a country if you represent them in any U20 match (noting football ties players by representing the U21s, so is fairly similar).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 12 Jan 2012, 8:59 am

dummy_half wrote:It shouldn't take very long to reach a judgement on Shingler's eligibility - the deciding factor seems to be whether the France U20 team was properly considered their second senior side, and that should be easy enough for the IRB to clarify (I don't want to guess which way this judgement will go, because of the occasional presence of a France A side).

The issue of Shingler's non-signing of a declaration of eligibility shouldn't be an issue with regard to whether he is committed to Wales (although might end up with a fine for the WRU for not getting the correct forms signed and submitted for the match), and I can't see how he can argue he wasn't notified by the WRU that he was committing himself to Wales since he's arguing that he told them he wanted to keep his options open.

The eligibility rule is a bit of a mess at the moment because of the description of 'second senior' side in the wording. This means (for example) an England U20 player is not committing to England regardless of who he plays against, and a Wales U20 player is not committing for Wales if he plays against England, Ireland or Italy but may well be if he plays against France.

Much more clear if the rule was changed so that you are tied to a country if you represent them in any U20 match (noting football ties players by representing the U21s, so is fairly similar).
I believe they always had one up until 2010?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by jimlewtheblue Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:22 am

Hypothetical question. Do you think Shingler would switch back to Wales should he be named in their 6 Nations squad?

That would be a dilemma for the Lad, would it not?

jimlewtheblue

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 12 Jan 2012, 10:29 am

Jim

I was hoping England would include him in the EPS as well, as he has English eligibility through his father. Just to throw another spanner in the works, not because I know much about him as a player.

I'm guessing, since he was born there and played for them at age group level, he'd pick Wales if given the choice now, but it seems he's a few years away from any potential full Wales cap and so the opportunity to represent Scotland is his best option at this moment (must be a good boost for his earning potential when he is capped).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down