The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing superstitions and when they take over!!!

+3
School Project
The Boss
TRUSSMAN66
7 posters

Go down

Boxing superstitions and when they take over!!! Empty Boxing superstitions and when they take over!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:35 am

Read a book about Michael Atherton where he said when he was coming out to bat he had to be first on the field before his partner...and it got wildly out of hand because once he ran past trescothick who was about to step on first and basically shoved him out of the way...

Funny how these things take over.....Whilst I had ten or so tunes on my Walkman/mp3 before I did my compounds at the gym I always had to have the same song at the same place (Van Halen's jump!!) before I hit the set!!!

Kind of became a ritual..a mental bloc as it were!!!..That I couldn't break...Sort of took over!!

Interested in learning of Boxers and their superstitions .......and some of yours too maybe!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Boxing superstitions and when they take over!!! Empty Re: Boxing superstitions and when they take over!!!

Post by The Boss Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:49 am

Not so much a superstition as a routine but when I'm training I always have to do 15 minutes in the heavybag before anyuthing else. Hate it when anyone tries to get me to do otherwise. Outside of boxing I'm a gaelic player and I cannot play or train with my socks rolled up.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Boxing superstitions and when they take over!!! Empty Re: Boxing superstitions and when they take over!!!

Post by School Project Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:54 am

Lennox Lewis would have to be left alone for around an hour before he fought so he could have a nap apparently.

Not sure of any others?

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:16 am

Whilst I had ten or so tunes on my Walkman/mp3 before I did my compounds at the gym I always had to have the same song at the same place (Pointer Sisters' jump!!) before I hit the set!!!

Corrected. Did you put your leg warmers on before or after the song started, Truss?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:47 am

I have a few gym routine superstitions myself. Before i go to the gym, i have to have a cappucino and a burger and chips in the gym restaurant. Only then can i get down to my training regime, which is also bordering on the religous - three reps in the sauna followed by three reps in the steam room.

Unlike some other beefsters though, i refuse to let this superstition control my life. I will break my set routine, swapping steam room reps for jacuzzi reps, but only under certain conditions. Those certain conditions being, essentially, the presence of fit birds in the jacuzzi.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:58 am

I like the Pointer sisters...especially "Dare me" and "automatic"....

They always say less is more Milky..

You might have found something there Mate!!

A lot of fighters like to be left alone to control their thoughts...During my limited Amateur career I preferred having people around to try to get the thought of a probable good slapping out of my mind!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:11 am

Not a superstition but more of a routine I guess, but when I started to play in goal (following a succession of knee and ankle injuries) at football I found I needed to be on my own for about 15-20 minutes before the warm up. Good goalkeeping comes down to concentration and I tended to find I needed to be free from distractions to get my mind in the right place.

Luckily my knee and ankle problems cleared up and I went back to playing right midfield and could go back to my old warm up routine of smoking and booting the ball at the goalkeeper.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:13 am

Here is me thinking good goalkeeping was down to keeping shots out and catching/punching crosses!!

You learn something new everyday!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:14 am

Think Hatton used to have a little snooze before each fight if I remember correctly.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:25 am

A few pints of Guinness will do that for you.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:36 am

Daz wrote:Think Hatton used to have a little snooze before each fight if I remember correctly.

and a little one during it against manny

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:48 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Here is me thinking good goalkeeping was down to keeping shots out and catching/punching crosses!!

You learn something new everyday!! Cool

It's all about maintaining good concentration as the ball flys past you into the net.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:09 am

milkyboy wrote:
Daz wrote:Think Hatton used to have a little snooze before each fight if I remember correctly.

and a little one during it against manny

Sad

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:09 am

Some one forget to tell him that left handed people have a habit of leading with their right...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down