The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The conundrum that is diddy Mears?

+2
robshaw4england
englandglory4ever
6 posters

Go down

The conundrum that is diddy Mears? Empty The conundrum that is diddy Mears?

Post by englandglory4ever Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Can anyone explain how diddy man Mears having hardly touched a rugby ball in anger for months gets in to the EPS? I've been with Lancaster up to this point but Mears! Where did that come from? Certainly not on recent form.

Portugal would relish a scrum against England if they fielded Mears alongside Marler who is defo a bit soft in the scrummaging dept.

Nick Wood has been performing excellently and should have made the EPS at the expense of Stevens.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

The conundrum that is diddy Mears? Empty Re: The conundrum that is diddy Mears?

Post by robshaw4england Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:02 pm

I feel Mears was selected due to his dynamism, lineout accuracy, ball carrying ability, work-rate and experience and the fact Lancaster knows him extremely well. Whilst you must not forget he is a British and Irish Lion. He's also as professional as they come and would help with squad morale due to his chippy character.

Whilst Lancaster may feel with the possibility of a more experienced player such as Mears, who can be used as backup to Hartley just in case Webber's throwing does not improve dramatically, as Webber has had some issues with his lineouts recently. Webber's a tough character and strong ball carrier and scrummager and potentially could be a very good player for us, pushing Hartley hard for his starting spot.

Post six nations i'm sure the likes of David Paice/Joe Gray will get an opportunity to push Hartley and Webber.

I think people are underrating Joe Marler, I admit he may not be the finished article at scrum time. However he is no worse than Corbisiero who has taken a real pasting recently - specifically from young Nathan Catt of Bath. Marler is a powerful ball carrier and tackler, he is also not afraid to say/display what he wants. I feel he could potentially be a world class player and would have no qualms of a starting England front row of Marler, Hartley and Cole. Whilst Stevens should be seen as a tighthead, it's like watching a different player when he plays at loosehead. (a much poorer one)

I'd have Stevens and Corbisiero to fight out the bench spot, whilst if any of the players get injured i'm sure Dave Wilson can step up and play a role.

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:09 pm

Im supriseds he hasnt yet been removed as an injury replacement but it may be that Lancaster is waiting to see how the lesser choice hookers get over this weekend before deciding.

End of the day though does it really matter whos third choice hooker? 6 months ago they wouldve been 6th choice (behind Thompson, Hartley, Mears, Chuter, Webber). Given Englands best hookers are hardly world beating id be very suprised if one of those way down the pecking order would suddenly step into the squad and turn out to be a world beater.

I guess theres something to say for having a guy like Mears around whos done it and seen it all, and can offer some experience for the front row in the event of injuries.

I sincerely hope Lancaster hasnt picked him because he sees him as a serious option for starting.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:16 pm

I thought that Lee Mers was injured? As he been include because he was in the original EPS? If that is so that it makes sence that Lancster as kept him so he can replace him with a other.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:35 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I thought that Lee Mers was injured? As he been include because he was in the original EPS? If that is so that it makes sence that Lancster as kept him so he can replace him with a other.

This
And the Same with Deacon as well

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:19 pm

robshaw4england wrote:

I think people are underrating Joe Marler, I admit he may not be the finished article at scrum time. However he is no worse than Corbisiero who has taken a real pasting recently - specifically from young Nathan Catt of Bath... would have no qualms of a starting England front row of Marler, Hartley and Cole.

I do have to disagree with both points here. Firstly, the whole Irish side had a mare against Bath and you can't judge Corbs on one performance as other than that game he has played well this season - it's like people judging Nick Wood on the Wuss game alone.

Secondly, if Marler is to be given a shot it can't be a starting berth as he's likely to be up against Murray then Castro in the first 2 games - both of whom main strengths are their scrummaging.

I've given a lot of credit to Marler in the past as for his age he's certainly very street-wise. There is no doubt he has the potential to be a very good player, but he's just no strong enough in the scrum yet.

On the Mears front it was very surprising to see him there and as has been said it must only be for his experience. I would far rather have seen Paice there as I would have him pushing Hartley.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:36 am

gowales wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:I thought that Lee Mers was injured? As he been include because he was in the original EPS? If that is so that it makes sence that Lancster as kept him so he can replace him with a other.

This
And the Same with Deacon as well

Well thats what everyone thought but they have called up injury repalcements for Flood Tuilagi and Deacon already havent they? Just not a hooker for Mears.

As for Marler, theres a Rowntree interview on espn today where hes singing his and Corbiserios parises and saying he looks forward to seeing them in action in this years 6 nations...which I guess means Corbs starting and Marler as impact sub.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down