The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maybe A Rising Young Star Has Been Found?

+4
laverfan
Mad for Chelsea
legendkillar
hawkeye
8 posters

Go down

Maybe A Rising Young Star Has Been Found? Empty Maybe A Rising Young Star Has Been Found?

Post by hawkeye Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:03 pm

Bernard Tomic came back from two sets to love down against Fernando Verdasco to win in five.

To come back from this position is tricky for any player. To do it on the biggest show court, in front of a home crowd and against a much higher ranked player was impressive in itself. But I was also impressed with his calm mature attitude. Tomic must have been feeling a lot of emotions as the match swung one way and then another however he was able to keep his emotions under control. He has the look of a player who has the ability to play his best under pressure on a big stage. Tomic had a maturity about him that some higher ranked and older players lack. His game looks pretty good too.

Has a rising young star been found at last?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Maybe A Rising Young Star Has Been Found? Empty Re: Maybe A Rising Young Star Has Been Found?

Post by legendkillar Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:11 pm

Nope.

Well not in the context you are implying. This article is nearly a year too late. Tomic made in-roads at Wimbledon last year and Raonic at the Australian Open last year.

On this forum lots of posters fancied Tomic over Verdassco, so it hardily counts as an upset or an unforeseen result. One player is on the up and the other on the decline.

Most posters are looking for that talent beyond Tomic and Raonic to break through. Someone outside the top 100 and puts in some top performances at Slam level like these 2 demonstrated last year.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Maybe A Rising Young Star Has Been Found? Empty Re: Maybe A Rising Young Star Has Been Found?

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:17 pm

did Raonic do anything in slams last year? can't remember him doing all that much. In all honesty I'm not a huge fan of Raonic, he looks a bit like Isner or Querrey - big serve, decent forehand, not much else - and I don't think he has the game to make the very top.

Tomic, on the other hand, is a completely different proposition, his game has great variety, and IMO if he could get his head screwed on and work on his fitness a bit (though it's obviously not too bad) he could be very special.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:20 pm

[quote="Mad for Chelsea"]
did Raonic do anything in slams last year? can't remember him doing all that much. In all honesty I'm not a huge fan of Raonic, he looks a bit like Isner or Querrey - big serve, decent forehand, not much else - and I don't think he has the game to make the very top.

Ummm he made the 4th round last year and rose from 152 to 37 on the back of that display!!!

I think he shouldn't be un-estimated.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:21 pm

To be fair to Tomic, Cahill was sure during the match that Tomic would lose after being two sets down, but was apologetic during the post-match discussion. Tomic is climbing up the ranks in fits/starts, nevertheless he is moving forward. He did play well (or was allowed play well) at Kooyong.

I stopped watching after the second set TB assuming Verdasco would close it, but was pleasantly surprised to see him fight back rather well.

It is good to see younger players at slams. Wink. Looking forward to a potential Dolgopolov-Tomic match.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:25 pm

IMO Tomic looks more like a potential top player than Raonic. Raonic has a good serve but is not a good mover. History shows that all the best players are good movers. Tomic's movement looks good to me. I was surprised that he is 6' 4".

It was the mental aspects I was most impressed with though. Lots of players are able to produce good shots. There was something about the way he carried himself that is more rare. I have not been so impressed with any of the other young players.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:27 pm

Tomic still only "a rising young star"?

Not in his own opinion for sure. This is the guy who (reportedly) turned down Hewitt's offer to practice with him at Wimbledon in 2009 apparently stating "Lleyton's not good enough". You can imagine how this went down with Hewitt although Tomic's team tried back-tracking by saying Lleyton's style of play did not suit him.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:31 pm

I woudl have been more impressed by Tomic had he won the first 2 sets and then maybe win in 3 or lose the match.

At 19 he seems to be already relying on his physique to outlast players. Doesn't bode well to me.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:34 pm

hawkeye wrote:IMO Tomic looks more like a potential top player than Raonic. Raonic has a good serve but is not a good mover. History shows that all the best players are good movers. Tomic's movement looks good to me. I was surprised that he is 6' 4".

It was the mental aspects I was most impressed with though. Lots of players are able to produce good shots. There was something about the way he carried himself that is more rare. I have not been so impressed with any of the other young players.

Ever heard of Pete Sampras or Ken Rosewall?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Raonic's progress has been affected by injury - with the need for hip surgery http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/07/Features/Raonic-Hip-Surgery.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:36 pm

[quote="legendkillar"]
Mad for Chelsea wrote:

Ummm he made the 4th round last year and rose from 152 to 37 on the back of that display!!!

I think he shouldn't be un-estimated.

did he? woops my bad. I'm just not convinced he'll ever have what it takes to beat the very best in the world. Tomic, on the other hand, I watched losing 3 and 2 to Murray in Brisbane and even there he showed enough signs (to me) that he has the potential to reach the very top.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:37 pm

legendkillar wrote:
hawkeye wrote:IMO Tomic looks more like a potential top player than Raonic. Raonic has a good serve but is not a good mover. History shows that all the best players are good movers. Tomic's movement looks good to me. I was surprised that he is 6' 4".

disagree on Sampras. He moved very well indeed (though Agassi was better). Wayyyyyyyyyy too young to remember Rosewall.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:40 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
legendkillar wrote:

disagree on Sampras. He moved very well indeed (though Agassi was better). Wayyyyyyyyyy too young to remember Rosewall.

Nooooooo. Imagine Sampras without the enormous weapon of his serve. Would he feature in the top 50 let alone 20 with 'movement'? Nah.

Rosewall wasn't the most glamorous of movers from past video's I have seen. Had a knack though to take matches away from his opponent.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:40 pm

Tenez wrote:I woudl have been more impressed by Tomic had he won the first 2 sets and then maybe win in 3 or lose the match.

At 19 he seems to be already relying on his physique to outlast players. Doesn't bode well to me.

At 19 he should be able to play tennis for 3 1/2 - 4 hours (not sure how long the match lasted). More difficult to stay mentally calm when so down in the score in that sort of pressure situation. For me it wasn't just that he won. I think I would have still been impressed if he lost in the 5th.

I thought he was 18 though. 19 is still young.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:43 pm

legendkillar wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:
legendkillar wrote:

Nooooooo. Imagine Sampras without the enormous weapon of his serve. Would he feature in the top 50 let alone 20 with 'movement'? Nah.

Rosewall wasn't the most glamorous of movers from past video's I have seen. Had a knack though to take matches away from his opponent.

whoah whoah whoah. Never said (and never even intended to remotely imply) that Sampras's movement was his main weapon - his main weapon was obviously his serve. What I said was that Sampras's movement was very good (in relative terms, much better than Raonic's).

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Eskay Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:47 pm

May be. But the quality of game was average on both sides. With this type of performance, there is no glorious future either in this A.O or otherwise. Perhaps nerves did show up. One has to possess at least one put away shot, serve or forehand or backhand.

Eskay

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:
legendkillar wrote:

whoah whoah whoah. Never said (and never even intended to remotely imply) that Sampras's movement was his main weapon - his main weapon was obviously his serve. What I said was that Sampras's movement was very good (in relative terms, much better than Raonic's).

I agree, but taking into account the size of Raonic, he moves well for such a bulky guy.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:57 pm

hawkeye wrote: ... I thought he was 18 though. 19 is still young.

He turned 19 last October, so not too long ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:40 pm

legendkillar wrote:Nope.

Well not in the context you are implying. This article is nearly a year too late. Tomic made in-roads at Wimbledon last year and Raonic at the Australian Open last year.

On this forum lots of posters fancied Tomic over Verdassco, so it hardily counts as an upset or an unforeseen result. One player is on the up and the other on the decline.

Most posters are looking for that talent beyond Tomic and Raonic to break through. Someone outside the top 100 and puts in some top performances at Slam level like these 2 demonstrated last year.

On this, I agree with legendkillar, 100%. Probably because it doesn't have 'Overend' in the subject Very Happy

Seriously, I thought, when I opened this article we'd unearthed some genuine new star. Quite honestly I'd expect Tomic to be beating Verdasco

And playing a lot better than he did a week and a half ago against a player that he will have to beat regular to win a Slam Whistle

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:47 pm

banbrotam wrote:

On this, I agree with legendkillar, 100%. Probably because it doesn't have 'Overend' in the subject Very Happy

Seriously, I thought, when I opened this article we'd unearthed some genuine new star. Quite honestly I'd expect Tomic to be beating Verdasco

And playing a lot better than he did a week and a half ago against a player that he will have to beat regular to win a Slam Whistle

thumbsup

Indeed. He played really well at Wimbledon last year, so any results against a player like Verdassco should not be taken as 'surprising' even at Slam level.

Like you I thought I missed something result wise, until it was Tomic and I just nodded gently.

Murray and Tomic final would be perfect. If Andy stuffed that up, I would seriously consider putting a contract on his head!!! Laugh

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:54 pm

legendkillar wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

thumbsup

Indeed. He played really well at Wimbledon last year, so any results against a player like Verdassco should not be taken as 'surprising' even at Slam level.

Like you I thought I missed something result wise, until it was Tomic and I just nodded gently.

Murray and Tomic final would be perfect. If Andy stuffed that up, I would seriously consider putting a contract on his head!!! Laugh

Damn right!! They'd be a queue starting with me and half the MTL crew Erm

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:32 pm

Tomic is only just 19. I think that he may be a rising star. I never said that he had risen! Talk of a slam final is still a bit premature.

Raonic is no way a good mover.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down