The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Open - Potential Match Up's

+2
Simple_Analyst
legendkillar
6 posters

Go down

Australian Open - Potential Match Up's Empty Australian Open - Potential Match Up's

Post by legendkillar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 8:27 pm

Looking at the draw some tasty encounters I would like to see in the last round of 16.

Dolgopolov v Federer. Talent v Talent in some peoples eyes.

Isner v Nadal. Isner scared Nadal at the FO 2011. Also Isner is a tricky opponent on this surface in particular. Really favours his FH.

Raonic v Djokovic. The defending champ against the new breed. Would be one for the Sky+

Monfils v Murray. Attack v Defence. Would be a solid display of both players strengths. Former Junior rivials too.

Tsonga v Simon. France's 1 and 2 slugging in out. Really the ultimate Iron Man match.

The others for me don't have me licking me lips with anticipation. Del Potro has seemingly a 'friendly' path opening and if he met Fish in the last 16 he would fancy his chances to stake a claim as a real contender.

Who do you like to see tussle it out at the last 16?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Australian Open - Potential Match Up's Empty Re: Australian Open - Potential Match Up's

Post by Simple_Analyst Tue 17 Jan 2012, 8:53 pm

I'm actually looking forward to the last 8. A potential

Federer vs Del Potro - We know what happened at New York in 2009
Nadal vs Berdych - Berdych can cause Nadal troubles if his game clicks
Murray vs Tsonga - This could be a great match
Djokovic vs Gasquet - This should be a one way traffic though.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Australian Open - Potential Match Up's Empty Re: Australian Open - Potential Match Up's

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:01 pm

Dolgopolov vs Federer could be a fun match, Dolgo's a maverick and his unorthodoxy could trouble Federer, though I see Federer winning in the end, maybe 4 sets.

Isner vs Nadal. If Nadal returns well he'll win comfortably, but if Isner finds some consitent serving he could trouble the Spaniard. Nadal in 4, Isner nicking a TB set.

Raonic vs Djokovic. Djokovic in straights, too good a returner to be troubled by Raonic.

Monfils vs Murray. Not sure where you're coming from on "attack vs defense" as both are predominantly defensive players. Murray to have too much variety, and his returning to negate one of the Frenchman's best weapons.

Tsonga vs Simon. Interesting match-up, Tsonga to blast through Simon, but to make heavy weather of it (possibly five sets).

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:24 pm

@ MFC OK exactly what i had in my mind.

Federer vs. Del Boy would be a classic, at SA the last time they met was in WTF which again Del Boy over powered Fed.

This would be a make or break match, if Fed can over come an inspied DP he would surely take that confidence into Nadal's match, if not the tournament is over there, so I personally would love to see Del boy play his best, coz if he dont play the best there will be a repeat of that two bagel sets happened in AO.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:04 am

Actually fed beat delpo last year, can't remember which tourney though

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:07 am

Dolgo has no chance against fed if the latter plays close to his potential. Players like dolgo with slice and off pace stuff don't bother fed; it's the big hitters who can overpower him from the baseline that have caused him problems in recent years; of course in the past he used to eat these guys for breakfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:35 am

Dolgo is a big hitter. His FH is really fast. His pace of game is fast. But he might be forced into UEs by Federer's fast pace too.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 18 Jan 2012, 1:08 am

Federer at his best barring Nadal will beat everybody, Nadal is a different species altogether, he is born to demolish Roger's game.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:00 am

Just bumping this because of comments about Andy's draw and 'only beating what is in front of you.

R4:
Dolgopolov v Federer. Talent v Talent in some peoples eyes. - Dolgo beaten by Tomic. Tomic no match for Federer

Isner v Nadal. Isner scared Nadal at the FO 2011. Also Isner is a tricky opponent on this surface in particular. Really favours his FH. Isner beaten early, Nadal beat Lopez easily enough

Raonic v Djokovic. The defending champ against the new breed. Would be one for the Sky+. Raonic out, Hewitt through, unlikely to be a match for a flying Djokovic

Monfils v Murray. Attack v Defence. Would be a solid display of both players strengths. Former Junior rivials too. An injured Monfils out to Kukushkin. An injured Kukushkin well beaten by Andy

Tsonga v Simon. France's 1 and 2 slugging in out. Really the ultimate Iron Man match. Simon out to Nishikori, who then got the better of a more miss than hit Tsonga.

QF
Federer vs Del Potro - We know what happened at New York in 2009
One to look forward to

Nadal vs Berdych - Berdych can cause Nadal troubles if his game clicks
Has followed the draw, but I don't see Berdy causing Rafa big problems in their respective forms this tournament

Murray vs Tsonga - This could be a great match
Not sure that Nishikori will have enough game to really threaten Andy, especially after having to battle through a five setter v Tsonga (good win for him there though)

Djokovic vs Gasquet - This should be a one way traffic though.
Djoko v Ferrer is the seeded match-up, but doesn't really have huge appeal to the neutral - can't see Nole having too many problems.

So 6 of the top 8 (assuming Djoko gets past Hewitt - being played shortly) in the QF, and Del P is probably a 'real' top 8 player ahead of Fish (and presumably will be after the tournament). Not been too many great matches so far, and of the QFs only really Fed v Del Boy looks like a potential classic. Other than that, I don't see the other members of the Top 4 being hugely stretched.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down