The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Match At The Australian Open

+4
noleisthebest
Mad for Chelsea
legendkillar
hawkeye
8 posters

Go down

Best Australian Open Match

Best Match At The Australian Open Vote_lcap10%Best Match At The Australian Open Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 1 ]
Best Match At The Australian Open Vote_lcap40%Best Match At The Australian Open Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 4 ]
Best Match At The Australian Open Vote_lcap0%Best Match At The Australian Open Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Best Match At The Australian Open Vote_lcap20%Best Match At The Australian Open Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 2 ]
Best Match At The Australian Open Vote_lcap30%Best Match At The Australian Open Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 10

Best Match At The Australian Open Empty Best Match At The Australian Open

Post by hawkeye Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:09 am

What was the best match to watch at this years Australian Open? Like everyone else I do have a little bias but I still believe my favourite should top this list because of the quality of tennis on display and because it featured possibly the best match up in the history of tennis.

My personal favourite was the Nadal Federer Semi. Nerves didn't play a part, both players know each other well and you could see how they used this knowledge to try and out smart each other in ralleys. Federers backhand was working well so Nadal couldn't relay on his old trusted tactic of hitting every ball there. The excitement of the crowd and indeed the excitement of the commentator Max Wilander also made it a fun match to watch. He clearly wanted to grab a raquet and get involved himself. What a shame no one got a trophy at the end.

The Nadal Djokovic Final will perhaps be the favourite of most. A nearly 6 hour battle that left both players looking crippled at the trophy ceremony and both talked afterwoods of the thrill they got from the effort they put into the match (!). The ending was indeed exciting with Nadal somehow winning the 4th set (from 0-40 down on his own serve at 4 all) after playing poorly for the 2nd, 3rd and much of the 4th. Nadal also got a lead in the 5th and it looked like the match was his before Djokovic managed to turn it around again.

I know womens tennis isn't always appreciated here so not many will have seen the Clijsters Li Na quarter final (a repeat of last years final). Played in the heat of the day as so many of the womens matches were. For those that like hard hitting aggresive play Clijsters is a player to watch. This style can be low percentage and for the first two sets Li Na had it nearly all her own way. Credit to Clijsters as she stuck at it but maybe because that's the ownly way that she can play? She came back in the 2nd set tie break from 0-5 down to win. Li Na never looked the same again and Clijsters won the final set.

I didn't watch the Murray Djokovic semi but I know that this is a big favourite. From what I've read both players played poorly in the fist three sets but the match really came to life in the 5th. Murray fought back from 2-5 down and managed to get a break point at 5-5. This match has given Murray great confidence for the rest of the season as he now believes he is closer than ever to the top three.

Other good matches IMO were Nalbandian/Isner, Berdych/Almagro, Nadal/Berdych and a particular favourite of mine (not for the tennis but for the tension) Federer/Karlovic. Have I missed any?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Best Match At The Australian Open Empty Re: Best Match At The Australian Open

Post by legendkillar Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:57 am

I won't vote as in general the standard of tennis was very poor. Reminded me very much of the US Open 2011. At a push I would say Nishikori v Tsonga was the best match in terms of quality for a 5 setter. They actually played brave attacking tennis.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 am

Nalbandian vs Isner for me. Actually thought neither the semis nor the final were particularly great quality. Great tension and drama, yes, but ultimately none of the players really peaked for me. What's worrying is that the top 4 are still miles ahead of the rest even playing at an average level.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:41 am

I did enjoy Tomic Dolgopolov and Hewitt Raonic match. Also Djokovic Lorenzi.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:59 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Nalbandian vs Isner for me. Actually thought neither the semis nor the final were particularly great quality. Great tension and drama, yes, but ultimately none of the players really peaked for me. What's worrying is that the top 4 are still miles ahead of the rest even playing at an average level.

+1

There's a whole generation of viewers growing up who don't understand the incredible value of a deep field. It's getting to the point that the first week of a Slam is basically not worth watching. Maybe you could go further and say the event only really happens from Wednesday of the 2nd week. That's a crying shame, tennis can be so much more varied in style and broader in contrasting match-ups than this but if someone's never really experienced that they have no idea what they're missing.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:01 am

bogbrush wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:Nalbandian vs Isner for me. Actually thought neither the semis nor the final were particularly great quality. Great tension and drama, yes, but ultimately none of the players really peaked for me. What's worrying is that the top 4 are still miles ahead of the rest even playing at an average level.

+1

There's a whole generation of viewers growing up who don't understand the incredible value of a deep field. It's getting to the point that the first week of a Slam is basically not worth watching. Maybe you could go further and say the event only really happens from Wednesday of the 2nd week. That's a crying shame, tennis can be so much more varied in style and broader in contrasting match-ups than this but if someone's never really experienced that they have no idea what they're missing.

Agreed. The last 3 matches were actually not that great at all, (apart from the final score Smile )
There was a lot of fun this AO, as the new generation began to emerge and the old gave a bit of a kick, too.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:07 am

I enjoyed Nishikori and Tomic's runs, and Hewitt showing he still had a big of dog left in him in reaching the fourth round and nicking a set of Djokovic was good fun. However, you look at the scorelines by which Tomic and Nishikori were beaten (despite Fed and Murray being some way below their best in those matches), and you see just how far behind the younger generation still is.

yes it's great that the top 3 are (possibly) all-time greats and that Murray at n°4 is possibly the greatest player never to win a slam (yet?), but the rest of the field is pretty ordinary. Don't get me wrong, they are some dangerous players out there, and plenty of guys the top 4 would want to avoid in the first round while they get going, but none of them good enough to beat a top 4 playing at 80% of his best.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:38 am

I did not enjoy many. To see push shots and sliced BH beating Dolgo's game, seeing Llodra's talent being "contained" by safe shots, watching semis and finals lasting hours with average shot making annoys me more than anything.

Yep maybe Isner v Nalby and others which I have not seen.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:39 am

For me, The Australian Open organisers got what they wanted in terms of having 2 dramatic matches at the business end of the tournament and gave it the spectacle it required being the 100th AO.

The sideshow penultimately is what I remember in terms of watching Hewitt v Djokovic and remembering just how good Hewitt was years ago is worth more than lung busting 5 and something hours match. Same with the Isner/Nalby match. Despite both resulting in defeats, it certainly served a reminder to those who had seen these players in their peak and also for younger viewers to appreciate how good they were and further a history interest for the younger audience.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Fed Nadal semi was rubbish, only one player showed up, Murray Djokovic semi was mostly rubbish with it improving as they got going. Pleased to see Murray on the baseline. The final was alright, Novak's returning kept him in it, didn't see why it needed to be that long. For it to have been that long you'd expect at least 20 games in the last set. The match that had the most impact on me was Hewitt Djokovic, I missed Hewitt's prime and it was nice to get a glimpse of his talent. For much of the match I could hardly tell the two players apart. I also enjoyed Tomic Dolgopolov. The result was disappointing but Tomic played some good shots too though Dolgo is the one I'd like to see more of in the future.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:38 pm

break_in_the_fifth

Agree about Hewitt Djokovic. Forgot about that one. Although I did only catch the set that Hewitt won. The crowd definately added to that match. I can remember thinking before that match that if the crowd got involved it could even be a possible upset. Djokovic doesn't like not being the favourite. He so needs to be loved...

Didn't see Tomic Dolgopolov but can imagine that would be good. Dolgopolov is great to watch.

Have to agree that in general the quality wasn't high at this years AO. Is it a big 3 (or 4 CaladonianCraig) or are the rest just "small" at the moment?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:43 pm

This poll is far too limited.

What about options for Nishikori-Tsonga or Nalbandian-Isner. The latter, imo, was by far the best match of the tournament. Nalbandian played some sublime tennis against the giant but unfortunately did not prevail.

I mistakenly voted for Murray-Djokovic, I intended to vote for other.

Is there any way to amend HE?

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:46 pm

I do believe the best matches will always happen in the middle of tournament, 3rd or 4th round maybe some weird generic 2nd rounds.

All the players are usually strained and out of spinach by the QF/SF and F.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:01 pm

emancipator

I did mention Nalbandian Isner and asked about other good matches. I was so sad that Nalbandian lost. Didn't see Nishikori Tsonga.

I don't know how you can amend your vote. Maybe Y I man could help?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:04 pm

contact an admin (or mod) to allow vote-cancelling.

Nalbandian-Isner was a corker, but in a way Nalby only had himself to blame for the defeat: breaking isner as often as he did (I think it was 7?) and still losing...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:18 pm

hawkeye wrote:break_in_the_fifth

Agree about Hewitt Djokovic. Forgot about that one. Although I did only catch the set that Hewitt won. The crowd definately added to that match. I can remember thinking before that match that if the crowd got involved it could even be a possible upset. Djokovic doesn't like not being the favourite. He so needs to be loved...

Didn't see Tomic Dolgopolov but can imagine that would be good. Dolgopolov is great to watch.

Have to agree that in general the quality wasn't high at this years AO. Is it a big 3 (or 4 CaladonianCraig) or are the rest just "small" at the moment?

He did nearly break him in the 4th set. I was amazed by how Hewitt began the match being overwhelmed by the weight of Djokovic's shots and then by half way he'd somehow adapted and was hitting almost equally hard and effectively. Quite a few times he even got the better of Djokovic and he more than held his own in the rallies though I'd still say Djokovic was the slightly stronger throughout. Impressive stuff for someone who is often unduly derided.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:19 pm

Nishikori Tsonga was also good. Tsonga was more all out attack and was wayward with it a lot of the time while Nishikori played a mix of defence and attack.

Unfortunately I missed Nalbandian Isner. Crying or Very sad

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:25 pm

Unfortunately I missed Nalbandian Isner.
Any match where a clueless route 1 player beats a rare talent like Nalby is not worth watching... Smile
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:30 pm

Would have been nice to see some of Nalby's tennis though yeah the result would have been painful to watch.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down