The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite Heavyweight Champions of All Time

+20
oxring
johnson2
Colonial Lion
azania
HumanWindmill
Waingro
Soldier_Of_Fortune
bhb001
Mind the windows Tino.
sodhat
superflyweight
TopHat24/7
The Galveston Giant
ShahenshahG
Rowley
rapidringsroad
Steffan
NathanDB10
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
manos de piedra
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Favourite Heavyweight Champions of All Time Empty Favourite Heavyweight Champions of All Time

Post by manos de piedra Wed 18 Jan 2012, 1:02 am

This is a simple excercise really just to rank the top heavyweight champions in order of preference. Many people pore over ranking fighters in terms of greatness but this is just a more lighthearted excercise to see who the most popular are out of curiosity. Ive listed 25 heavyweight champions below. Ive limited to 25 for the sake of simplicity and exluded any non title winning heavyweights and most of the alphabet soup heavyweights. I would say the 25 on the list would broadly be what most people would have in their top 25 champions with one or two absentees like Sharkey and Baer perhaps as well as some of the less prolific ones like Johanson and Hart. So what order would you rank them in terms of preference?

Joe Louis
Muhammad Ali
Jack Johnson
Jack Dempsey
Rocky Marciano
Larry Holmes
James J. Jeffries
George Foreman
Sonny Liston
Joe Frazier
Gene Tunney
Lennox Lewis
Mike Tyson
Evander Holyfield
W Klitschko
V Klitschko
Jersey Joe Walcott
Ezzard Charles
Mac Schmelling
Riddick Bowe
Ken Norton
James J. Corbett
Bob Fitzsimmons
John L Sullivan
Floyd Patterson

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Favourite Heavyweight Champions of All Time Empty Re: Favourite Heavyweight Champions of All Time

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Jan 2012, 1:09 am

My favourite heavyweight champion of all time is Jack Johnson. A man who style wise was years ahead of his time. Defensively one of the best in boxing history.

A genius in the ring and a controversial figure who still splits opinions outside of it. He was Muhammad Ali just at the wrong time. America just wasn't ready for a brash dominant black heavyweight champion.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Favourite Heavyweight Champions of All Time Empty Re: Favourite Heavyweight Champions of All Time

Post by NathanDB10 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 2:05 am

My favourite HW champions are:

1) Frazier
2) Louis
3) Tyson
4) Dempsey
5) Patterson
6) Liston

As far as the last two are concerned, I picked them for their overall HW careers rather than just their reign necessarily.

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 18 Jan 2012, 2:06 am

I like the following fighters because:

Muhammad Ali for many reasons but mainly his personality

My boxing style is based on Joe Frazier

Gene Tunney is one of my favorites to watch as is Mike Tyson

Max Schmeling as I felt sorry for him being used as a political tool

Sonny Liston was misunderstood person

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Wed 18 Jan 2012, 3:08 am

1 Joe Frazier was popular, I always wanted him to win 2 Patterson was another one, often the underdog.3 Jack Johnson was probably not popular amongst the white fans of the day but he must have had a huge following of African Americans. 4 The Brown Bomber was World Champion when it meant something. 5 Ali I think had as many people wanting him to get beaten as to win, especialy early on in his career.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:12 am

Top ten in terms of purely who I like would go something like this

Jeffries
Dempsey
Louis
Ali
Marciano
Fitzsimmons
Patterson
Tunney
Lewis
Frazier

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:18 am

Ali
Dempsey
Patterson
Foreman
Liston
Tunney
Charles
Louis
Holyfield
Johnson
Tyson
Sullivan
Frazier
Vitali
Lewis
Wlad
Fitzsimmons
Walcott
Jeffries
Schmeling
Corbett
Norton
Holmes
Bowe

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:27 am

In no particular order excluding Johnson my Favourite Heavies are,

Jack Johnson
Jack Dempsey
Sam Langford
Tom Sharkey
Joe Louis
Sonny Liston
Muhammed Ali
Larry Holmes
Mike Tyson
Lennox Lewis
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:30 am

Shah, out of curiosity, what's your reasoning/preference(ing?) behind the Vit-Lewis-Wlad order?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:36 am

Top 10 based purely on preference:

1) Tunney
2) Ali
3) Johnson
4) Dempsey
5) Foreman
6) Jeffries
7) Louis
8) Marciano
9) Lewis
10) Tyson

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:40 am

Not liking all this love for Johnson, if it was a top 100 he would not make it into my list.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:43 am

Why are you so down on Johnson?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:49 am

Don't like the fact he denied other black fighters the opportunity he had been given, also think his actions when he was the title closed a lot of doors for a lot of years for a number of fighters who followed him. Appreciate there is somethign admirable about thumbing your nose at your oppressors but think Johnson was a smart guy and knew damned well the consequences of his action but chose not to care of the immediate or long term affects, fair enough I suppose but also don't much care for the way a guy whose premier motivations appear selfishness and protecting your self interests is often reinvented as some sort of pioneer for black people and civil rights.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:51 am

Louis
Jeffries
Ali
Foreman
Liston
Marciano
Lewis
Tyson
Tunney
Frazier

Or something like that. I'm sort of surprised that no one has ventured Frank Bruno. Whatever his level of talent was, he was certainly a popular champion in Britain.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:58 am

rowley wrote:Don't like the fact he denied other black fighters the opportunity he had been given, also think his actions when he was the title closed a lot of doors for a lot of years for a number of fighters who followed him. Appreciate there is somethign admirable about thumbing your nose at your oppressors but think Johnson was a smart guy and knew damned well the consequences of his action but chose not to care of the immediate or long term affects, fair enough I suppose but also don't much care for the way a guy whose premier motivations appear selfishness and protecting your self interests is often reinvented as some sort of pioneer for black people and civil rights.

I don't view him as a pioneer for black people and civil rights he wasn't he was a pioneer for Jack Johnson. My view is that if he was white he could have acted the way he did and no one would have bothered so the problem wasn't Johnson it was society at the time. I rate him so higly as a boxer for his career prior to winning the title.

I love the fact he basically stuck 2 fingers up to the people who had oppressed him. Most people would have done the same. Yes it would have been great if he had taken on someone like Langford for the title but he didn't want to do that. He wanted to rub his success in the face of the who hated him being successful just because he was black.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 18 Jan 2012, 10:02 am

My top ten lovely heavyweights are as follows:

1) Lewis (purely based on the fact he was the guy I grew up watching, back in the days when I could still stay up till 4:00 in the morning to actually watch a fight. I have fond memories of sitting up with a few likeminded souls and watching him steam through Grant, Golota etc etc)
2) Louis (just the best technician I have seen in the division. One of the few guys I can happily sit on youtube and watch for ages)
3) Ali
4) Jeffries
5) Tunney
6) Johnson
7) Foreman
8) Dempsey
9) Holyfield
10) Marciano

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 18 Jan 2012, 10:14 am

Top hat. Had Vitali Lewis skills, he might have been the greatest heavy ever - he intelligent and makes the best of what hes got - but when he needs to impose himself he does so - I suppose mostly on his courage in that Lewis fight and the ease with which he manouvered around Sanders who is if nothing else a serius puncher. Lewis is the opposite - he imposed himself far too little when he could have done it all. Wlad is unfortunate in that he had an exciting style but lacks the chin of his brother and had to adapt to a safety first approach but watch his earlier fights, Mercer for example and a few others. Jab, Jab into hook, Right Cross. Brilliant to watch.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 18 Jan 2012, 10:21 am

Jeff, whilst I agree that Johnson's actions were harmful to other black fighters of his time, I think we have to put them into some kind of context.

I don't think that he should be seen as some kind of civil rights pioneer but I also don't necessarily blame him for wanting to be his own man once he'd taken the championship. Given the vitriol that he'd faced over the years it's no wonder that he wanted to rub white America's nose in it.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 Jan 2012, 10:28 am

Superfly, whilst I genuinely don't like the fact he ducked the plethora of qualified and available black challengers think my issue is less with Johnson and more with the mythologising process that has gone on around him as if his actions were in some way heroic when for me they are largely motivated from selfishness.

All this he was his own man, yes he was but when it suited him to be so, to be his own man would have been to defend his title against other black fighters irrespective of what White America's reaction would have been, but when the outcome was Jack got to avoid genuine threats to his reign he could toe the colour line as faithfully as any who had gone before him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 10:51 am

I haven't really an opinion past about 10, so here it is: -

Muhammad Ali
Joe Louis
Rocky Marciano
John L Sullivan
Larry Holmes
Mike Tyson
George Foreman
Joe Frazier
Jack Dempsey
V Klitschko
Ken Norton

I know I'll be shot for this, but I can't find a place for Lennox. Remember, this is what I like and his loses to inferior opposition just make me think less of the man. I accept that this says more about me than it does Mr Lewis, who is a fine man and great ambassador for the sport (wrote with no hint of sarcasm or derision).

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 18 Jan 2012, 10:56 am

I tihnk ina roundabout we agree, jeff. I'm not suggesting that Jack's actions were in any way heroic and he deserves all the criticism he gets for denying other black fighters a shot at his title. He was being selfish and purely looking after his own interests but I can understand why.

My liking for him has more to do with what he had to face in order to become champion rather than his actions as champion. When I think about Johnson I can't help but think of the photgraph of lone smiling black face in the middle of a sea of mournful white looking on as Jack toys with an opponent (I can't remember if it's from the Burns or Jeffries fight). That image alone gives me enough reason to like Johnson.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:01 am

1) Michael Bentt
2) Herbie Hide
3) Oleg Maskaev
4) John Ruiz
5) Roy Jones JR
6) Sultan Ibragimov
7) Lamon Brewster
8) Chris Byrd
9) Sam Peter
10) Tommy Morrison

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:01 am

bhb001 wrote:
I know I'll be shot for this, but I can't find a place for Lennox. Remember, this is what I like and his loses to inferior opposition just make me think less of the man. I accept that this says more about me than it does Mr Lewis, who is a fine man and great ambassador for the sport (wrote with no hint of sarcasm or derision).

It's your opinion bhb so you shouldn't be dragged over the coals for it. I have him at number one, but it is purely a sentimental pick and I am well aware of his flaws as a fighter. If it was a list of who was the 'best' heavyweight ever then he wouldn't be anywhere near the top for me.

Of course, I am right and you are completely wrong, but carry on anyway.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:06 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:1) Michael Bentt
2) Herbie Hide
3) Oleg Maskaev
4) John Ruiz
5) Roy Jones JR
6) Sultan Ibragimov
7) Lamon Brewster
8) Chris Byrd
9) Sam Peter
10) Tommy Morrison

Good list I'd personally find a place for Valuev and hard not to have a place for Povetkin, am sure he is the embodiment of the kind of warrior spirit we all want in a heavyweight, good top ten all the same

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:09 am

2) Herbie Hide
3) Oleg Maskaev
4) John Ruiz
5) Roy Jones JR
6) Sultan Ibragimov
7) Lamon Brewster
8) Chris Byrd
9) Sam Peter
10) Tommy Morrison

Akinwande?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:10 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Of course, I am right and you are completely wrong, but carry on anyway.

Yes sir. (I know my place!) Hug

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:11 am

superflyweight wrote:
2) Herbie Hide
3) Oleg Maskaev
4) John Ruiz
5) Roy Jones JR
6) Sultan Ibragimov
7) Lamon Brewster
8) Chris Byrd
9) Sam Peter
10) Tommy Morrison

Akinwande?

Matt Skelton? European Champion and winner of hairiest man in the sport award.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:37 am

Good article mate. My top 5 favorite heavies are.

1. Lewis - Britais best ever fighter
2. Ali - best of all time
3. Tyson - most exciting and powerful heavyweight ever probably
4. Haye - atg cruiserweight and helped get people into boxing again
5. Foreman - serious power in his prime and managed to win a title even when washed up. Nice guy to.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:39 am

Waingro wrote:Good article mate. My top 5 favorite heavies are.

1. Lewis - Britais best ever fighter
2. Ali - best of all time
3. Tyson - most exciting and powerful heavyweight ever probably
4. Haye - atg cruiserweight and helped get people into boxing again
5. Foreman - serious power in his prime and managed to win a title even when washed up. Nice guy to.

Awesome, Waingro has now validated my list for me. Thanks old buddy.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:46 am

Why am I not allowed put up my bottom 5 heavyweights?

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:47 am

Waingro wrote:Why am I not allowed put up my bottom 5 heavyweights?

Who says you're not?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:47 am

Bruno would beat the Poopie out of Haye.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:49 am

Some mod keeps removing it I am guessing they are a big Dempsey or Klitchko fan lol my bottom 5 are.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:50 am

Reckon he can only stomach a certain level of stupidity waingro.

Last edited by ShahenshahG on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:50 am

Only gave my number so here is my top 10.

1. Johnson
2. Holmes
3. Louis
4. Ali
5. Frazier
6. Vitali Klitschko
7. Wlad Klitschko
8. Tunney
9. Holyfield
10. Wallcott
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:51 am

Can he be banned for sheer stupidity?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:52 am

ShahenshahG wrote:Reckon he can only stomach a certain level of stupidity waingro.

Its just my opinion mate why should I not be allowed post my bottom 5 favourite heavyweights? Or do you prefer to just insult people?

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:52 am

Can't - we'd be discriminating against the mentally ill.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:52 am

Waingro wrote:

Some mod keeps removing it I am guessing they are a big Dempsey or Klitchko fan lol my bottom 5 are.

Some mod removed it because of your disgusting, inaccurate and libellous attack on Frazier.

Post it again and you will be banned.

Last edited by HumanWindmill on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:52 am

Its gone again Wain, is all getting a bit scooby doo round here.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:53 am

HumanWindmill wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Some mod removed it because of your disgusting, inaccurate and libellous attack on Frazier.

Go on Waingro do it again! Whistle
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:55 am

Its because theres no rhyme or reason as to why you dislike em. Just daft suppositions without any idea of what you are saying. What has dempsey done wrong that you dislike him rather than Haye. Honest, Courageous, Courteous vs brash, fraud who doesnt back up his words? Superior boxer vs inferior boxer. Its better to keep your mouth shut (about things you know nothing about) and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:58 am

HumanWindmill wrote:
Waingro wrote:

What I said was true and you know it so it was not innaccurate those were Fraziers words not mine he was very bitter against Ali you just seem to remove posts you dont like. I think I will leave this place anyway it is full of people who just try to insult you and remove your posts if they dont agree with it. You remove my posts all the time without any explanation and I see people post far worse things that do not get removed. It seems you want to me leave that is ok I will I do not want to spend my time having to get insulted or in rows.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:59 am

Shah he does not like Dempsey because he did not fight black fighters, has no issue with the myriad fighters before him who drew the colour line far more clearly than Jack did, but to do that would require some knowledge of the era or other fighters from the past beyond one line of questionable knowledge picked up somewhere along the line.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:00 pm

join eastside boxing or boxingscene Laugh they won't insult you or row with you nor give you a reason as to why they disagree with you. Laugh

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:00 pm

In no particular order

1. Ali
2. Holmes
3. Tyson
4. Dempsey
5. Johnson
6. Frazier
7. Foreman
8. Louis
9. Liston
10. Witherspoon
998 - Rocky M
1002. Patterson

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:04 pm

Waingro wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
Waingro wrote:

What I said was true and you know it so it was not innaccurate those were Fraziers words not mine he was very bitter against Ali you just seem to remove posts you dont like. I think I will leave this place anyway it is full of people who just try to insult you and remove your posts if they dont agree with it. You remove my posts all the time without any explanation and I see people post far worse things that do not get removed. It seems you want to me leave that is ok I will I do not want to spend my time having to get insulted or in rows.

Firstly, it IS NOT TRUE.

Secondly, I did not insult you.

Thirdly, it is the responsibility of the moderation and admin teams to remove libellous and offensive posts.

Fourthly, I do not "remove your posts all the time." In fact, I have done so very rarely.

Fifthly, you "see people post far worse." That isn't your call.

This is not a vendetta against you. There are House Rules which must be observed, and they are absolutely clear in the issue of libel.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:05 pm

Waingro I genuinely don't want to see you leave but you have to look at things sensibly, I have not seen your Frazier comment so can't comment on it but if it is genuinely libellous leaving it on here is risky for the forum, the mods wouldn't be doing their job to leave a comment on here that could see us sued or closed down.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:05 pm

Waingro has a point. He has become an object of gang mentality and ridicule. He is entitled to his opinions however far out they may be. Its all about opinions folks. Like rear ends we all have one.

Are his opinions that way off? I mean some think a certain undefeated HW boxer was actually good. Far be it for me to debate that matter.
Leave the Gro alone.

Stay Waingro. Your opinions are just as valid as undeucated posters like Windy, Oxy, rowley, manos, Capt C, Ghosty and most others who post here.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:05 pm

azania wrote:In no particular order

1. Ali
2. Holmes
3. Tyson
4. Dempsey
5. Johnson
6. Frazier
7. Foreman
8. Louis
9. Liston
10. Witherspoon
998 - Rocky M
1002. Patterson

Why four spaces between 998 and 1002, Az. You got someone in joint 1000th place?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next