The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steven Jones the Welsh 10.

+18
Smirnoffpriest
Taffineastbourne
Casartelli
Comfort
Glas a du
gowales
Luckless Pedestrian
overlordofthewest
bedfordwelsh
flyhalffactory
Morgannwg
maestegmafia
Gatts
Cymroglan
TycroesOsprey
Shifty
doctornickolas
majesticimperialman
22 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Steven Jones the Welsh 10. - Page 4 Empty Steven Jones the Welsh 10.

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

Has he, Steven Jones that is, joined his mate Shane Willliams and retired from international rugby?(By announcing his retirement from international rugby)

Or is the reason that he is not in the Welsh squad for the 6ns Warren Gatlands idea not to select him?

He may not have the speed he once had but his goal kicking is far more reliable than Priestlands, and Dan Biggar.

Do you think that not selecting him for the Welsh team is a good idea or a bad idea?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Steven Jones the Welsh 10. - Page 4 Empty Re: Steven Jones the Welsh 10.

Post by Morgannwg Sun 29 Jan 2012, 1:08 pm

I think your overeacting. Wales will progress with or without Jones, we have plenty of 10s. It is likely Jones will announce his international retirement next year anyway, it could even be after this 6 Nations. For now lets just concentrate on winning the tournaments and for that we need our best players.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 29 Jan 2012, 1:31 pm

Maes - We're in a totally different situation to the Wilko situation, Wales have given lots of different flyhalfs a chance, Priestland is now our first choice and we're now just looking at 2nd choices - we're waiting for Hook to prove he can hack it at int level at 10, and the up and coming flyhalf have lost form. Bringing Jones in is a temporary thing rather than him being seen as a permanent fixture of the side - he'd be in my 6N team til the end of the comp but wouldn't be in my Summer test squad as I'd like to see one of Tovey/Biggar (whoevers showing better form) - or a revamped Hook (or even Henson) in the team, or as an outside bet Shingler.

Saying that at this point Jones has been showing the best form (and that's including Priestland) and with Priestland out he is our best option. Nothing more nothing less

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 30 Jan 2012, 9:24 pm

maestegmafia wrote:There is a very good case for him being our best at the moment, to be fair since the Quarter finals of the world cup Priestland had one great game, against Saints at Franklins Gardens where he took Pisi to Pieces, other than that he hasn't shown his best form.

I just don't want Wales to not progress because he is still around, he is not at his personal best and is unlikely to get back to it due to the stage he is at in his career.

We can't rely on Jones being our best flyhalf for long and we need to give other players time to establish their credentials.

Maes you are spot on mate.

Thats why you need the Wales A team to blood the form players who have never had the chance (and Mr G stubbornly wont pick) e.g. NGDs Tovey when he was the best 10, Scarlets Dan Evans when he appeared to be the best 15, and the "potential" players Steffan Jones who has had some good games, Matt Morgan for his potential. However the question is

Do you want to win your next game and then the next game and then the next game.............. or,
Do you want to develop players and maybe get well beaten due to inexperience (and hence pull them back a step or two, hinder their confidence & developement)

What would you rather............. not select Jones, develop someone like young Matthew Morgan and maybe get well beaten................ or pick Jones and win.

Personally if I was the Welsh nation I would rather win my next game ................ therefore select you FORM players of which Jones is by far your form 10.

However its all academic as if Hook is available its back to Gatlands Law "select 14 players and Hook"
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4