The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hamilton is better than Vettel

4 posters

Go down

Hamilton is better than Vettel Empty Hamilton is better than Vettel

Post by Belgarion of Riva Sun 22 Jan 2012, 6:49 pm

LEWIS Hamilton is a better Formula One driver than reigning world champion Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso has claimed.

"Lewis is very fast, aggressive and totally focused, he is only interested in victory. Sebastian has not reached that level yet," Alonso told German magazine Sport-Bild.

"I know he's the double world champion, but he is still somewhat behind the level Lewis has set."

Germany's Vettel secured his second consecutive world drivers' championship title when he dominated the 2011 season, finishing with 392 points, while Britain's 2008 champion Hamilton finished fifth - 165 points behind the German.

Spain's Alonso was fourth last season and won the last of his two world titles in 2006.

The new Formula One season begins on March 18 with the Australian Grand Prix.

Link: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/motor/hamilton-is-better-than-vettel/story-e6frey5r-1226248886532

Interesting comment from Alonso, echoes what most of us think. It appears Fernando and Lewis have buried the hatchet. Hope their fans follow suit.

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Hamilton is better than Vettel Empty Re: Hamilton is better than Vettel

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jan 2012, 3:37 pm

I think FA & LH have to a certain extent put the past behind them and are now getting along with each other with this new found respect for each others ability. However, these comments from Alonso are released for psychological reasons. Stating that Hamilton 'is faster than Vettel' is a tactical ploy from Alonso and is aimed at trying to gain an advantage over the two rivals he thinks are most dangerous. It's a new season and therefore Hamilton has to perform and find results, therefore comments like this put more pressure and focus on Hamilton going into a new season off the back of a bad period

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:12 am

Don't think so John, Alonso praised Hamilton last season as well. Just feel both drivers have finally grown up and put this nonsense behind them. Hope their fans do as well

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:53 am

here here. clap

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:26 pm

I'd say its actually a bit of both.

Hamilton and Alonso do seem to have a genuine mutual respect, but they're both pretty media-savvy (perhaps more so in Nando's case) and I think there's an element of truth in what john said.

My own view is that Vettel is better at managing races. In that sense he is very much in the Schumacher mould in that he analyses every aspect of quali and races and prepares in minute detail. He can race to a strategy, pace himself when necessary and put in quick laps when needed.

Hamilton, on the other hand is much more the instinctive, agressive racer who just wants to get ahead of everyone else. I think he is slowly learning the importance of the analytical / strategic side of racing, but I'd say Vettel is well ahead of him in that respect.

However, put them both in identical cars in a short-ish race, where no pitstops are necessary and my money would be on Hamilton to win.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Mon 06 Feb 2012, 10:36 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:My own view is that Vettel is better at managing races.
I would also extend that to Red Bull over Mclaren. Vettel has the distinct advantage of having the entire team built around him with driver and team in perfect harmony last season When Hamilton had a similar setup with Kovi he won the WDC but with Mclaren now splitting thier resources equally across both their drivers Vettel and Co (and possibly Alonso who also enjoys out and out no1 status) are going to be a hard nut to crack - for either Mclaren driver.

Also re Hamilton - had it not been for the rules being turned on their head in 2009 which prevented the MP23 evolving (unlike the RB6) then Alonso could arguably be praising a double world champion at the very least.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down