The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ben Blair Back!

+7
XR
Adam D
red_stag
J_D
Smirnoffpriest
Cardiff Dave
wales606
11 posters

Go down

Ben Blair Back! Empty Ben Blair Back!

Post by wales606 Thu 26 Jan 2012, 1:26 pm

http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5688.php

Cardiff Blues wrote:After 15 months out with a knee injury Ben Blair returns to rugby this weekend
Having suffered a knee injury in the Heineken Cup match against Castres in October 2010, Cardiff Blues fullback Ben Blair returns to action to face Gloucester this weekend.
The Blues take on Gloucester at Kingsholm on Saturday 28 January at 3pm and Blair is relieved to be back on the pitch after such a long time out of the game.

Speaking at the Vale of Glamorgan training centre Blair said:

"It's been a hugely frustrating period for me both on and off the pitch over the last 15 months."

"When I first injured the knee back in October 2010 I don't think anyone expected it to take so long to get back."

"It's been extremely hard both mentally and physically to get to the position where I am able to play again, so I'm just looking forward to finally having a match."

"The rehab work on the knee has gone well and it feels good."

"I've really missed playing so it will be good to get a run out on Saturday."

Speaking of Blair's return, Cardiff Blues backs coach Gareth Baber added:

"Ben brings a vast amount of experience having been a solid front line player for us for the past five to six seasons, so it's good to have him back."

"Obviously he's been out for a long time with his knee injury but we hope to see him back to his kicking best and controlling the back three for us, solid under high balls and driving our attack in wide areas."

"He's trained hard by himself doing a lot of rehabilitation and seems to be right back up there with his fitness scores, and has performed well alongside the players in rugby training."

"Obviously he wasn't part of our Heineken Cup squad but it's good to have him playing again with some big RaboDirect matches on the horizon."

The following week, on Sunday 5 February at 1pm the Blues take on Harlequins in the LV= Cup. The Round 4 LV= Cup match is free to children, when accompanied by a paying adult, courtesy of Coastal Cottages of Pembrokeshire, who are sponsoring the match. There will be a host of activities pre match with the Heineken Fan Zone being converted to the Kids Zone for this special match, with gates opening at 11.30am.

Not only will young supporters be able to mingle with their rugby heroes but there will be an interactive rugby game set up allowing youngsters to show of their rugby skills as well as a bouncy castle, face painting and much more.

.....................................................................................................

Fantastic news. if hopefully he can return to the form he was in a couple of seasons ago when he was a lethal kicker and one of the best FBs in Europe.

Last edited by wales606 on Thu 26 Jan 2012, 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Ben Blair Back! Empty Re: Ben Blair Back!

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 26 Jan 2012, 2:13 pm

Any chance of him being drafted into the HEC squad?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 26 Jan 2012, 2:21 pm

Dont know

Can you add player before the 1/4s?

11. Cuthbert
14. Halfpenny
15. Blair

Would be awesome - probably the only area we would beat Leinster.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 26 Jan 2012, 2:23 pm

wales606 wrote:Dont know

11. Cuthbert
14. Halfpenny
15. Blair

Nor me.
What about 10, 12, 13........Henson, Roberts, Laulala?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 26 Jan 2012, 2:39 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
wales606 wrote:Dont know

11. Cuthbert
14. Halfpenny
15. Blair

Nor me.
What about 10, 12, 13........Henson, Roberts, Laulala?

If they all hit form together then they would be awesome

Unfortuently, Baber is the worst backs coach EVER (just look at the last 3 seasons worth of attacking plays by the Blues backs) - So we would still lose to Leinster backs who are incredibly well drilled by some of the best coaches in the business.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 26 Jan 2012, 2:46 pm

Not been overly impressed with Henson, and Lualua was loosing the ball in contact a lot and playing quite poorly at the start of the season - though recently he seems to be the only Blues back who seems to be firing besides Halfpenny.

I think you can add players to your HEC squad, but I think it depends on if you've added any players in the group stages. I know the Scarlets added Edwards for their last group game.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by J_D Thu 26 Jan 2012, 3:03 pm

Brilliant news! hope he can hit some form coming into the Leinster game.

J_D

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 26 Jan 2012, 3:10 pm

wales606 wrote:
11. Cuthbert
14. Halfpenny
15. Blair

Not so sure about that really.

11 Luke Fitzgerald
14 Isa Nacewa
15 Rob Kearney

23 Shane Horgan
R Fionn Carr
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Ben Blair Back! Empty Cardiff blues news - Ben Blair returns

Post by Adam D Thu 26 Jan 2012, 3:11 pm

After 15 months out with a knee injury Ben Blair returns to rugby this weekend

Having suffered a knee injury in the Heineken Cup match against Castres in October 2010, Cardiff Blues fullback Ben Blair returns to action to face Gloucester this weekend.

The Blues take on Gloucester at Kingsholm on Saturday 28 January at 3pm and Blair is relieved to be back on the pitch after such a long time out of the game.

Speaking at the Vale of Glamorgan training centre Blair said:

"It's been a hugely frustrating period for me both on and off the pitch over the last 15 months."

"When I first injured the knee back in October 2010 I don't think anyone expected it to take so long to get back."

"It's been extremely hard both mentally and physically to get to the position where I am able to play again, so I'm just looking forward to finally having a match."

"The rehab work on the knee has gone well and it feels good."

"I've really missed playing so it will be good to get a run out on Saturday."

Speaking of Blair's return, Cardiff Blues backs coach Gareth Baber added:

"Ben brings a vast amount of experience having been a solid front line player for us for the past five to six seasons, so it's good to have him back."

"Obviously he's been out for a long time with his knee injury but we hope to see him back to his kicking best and controlling the back three for us, solid under high balls and driving our attack in wide areas."

"He's trained hard by himself doing a lot of rehabilitation and seems to be right back up there with his fitness scores, and has performed well alongside the players in rugby training."

"Obviously he wasn't part of our Heineken Cup squad but it's good to have him playing again with some big RaboDirect matches on the horizon."

The following week, on Sunday 5 February at 1pm the Blues take on Harlequins in the LV= Cup. The Round 4 LV= Cup match is free to children, when accompanied by a paying adult, courtesy of Coastal Cottages of Pembrokeshire, who are sponsoring the match. There will be a host of activities pre match with the Heineken Fan Zone being converted to the Kids Zone for this special match, with gates opening at 11.30am.

Not only will young supporters be able to mingle with their rugby heroes but there will be an interactive rugby game set up allowing youngsters to show of their rugby skills as well as a bouncy castle, face painting and much more.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 26 Jan 2012, 3:11 pm

Big Ben Cool

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 26 Jan 2012, 3:13 pm

red_stag wrote:
wales606 wrote:
11. Cuthbert
14. Halfpenny
15. Blair

Not so sure about that really.

11 Luke Fitzgerald
14 Isa Nacewa
15 Rob Kearney

23 Shane Horgan
R Fionn Carr

Still...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 26 Jan 2012, 3:18 pm

Off the top of my head I'd say Leinster, Munster, Ospreys, Toulouse, Clermont, Bayonne, Gloucester and Harlequins have stronger back three units.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 26 Jan 2012, 3:18 pm

Hours ahead of you

https://www.606v2.com/t22653-ben-blair-back

And I thought you Admins liked merging thread to stop overlapping!

Shocked
Wink
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 26 Jan 2012, 3:21 pm

red_stag wrote:Off the top of my head I'd say Leinster, Munster, Ospreys, Toulouse, Clermont, Bayonne, Gloucester and Harlequins have stronger back three units.

The Ospreys have Fussell at FB!

Cuthbert, Halfpenny, Blair would be on the same level as any of the other back3s in Europe.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 26 Jan 2012, 3:30 pm

Can't say I agree. Cuthbert is over rated IMO. A lad who has done well in an easy HEC group and shined when the stars were away from the Celtic League. He is a good player but not amazing. Halfpenny is a class act and Blair is a good dependable signing who isn't in the same class as other teams foreign wingers - Nacewa, Howlett, Bowe etc.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 26 Jan 2012, 3:51 pm

Red Stag - Ben blair isn't a new signing or a winger - he used to be an absolutely class FB before his injury(ies) and if he can get back to that form he'll be amazing, it remains to be seen if he can be.

I'd also say that Halfpenny can be considered in the same class as the above wingers when he's on form.

Cuthbert has been rated highly and hasn't really proved much yet - but I'd say he is promising and give him a season and we'll be able to see exactly where he is - though I wouldn't dream of comparing him to the wingers you've listed I'd say he's a good winger to have at a region.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 26 Jan 2012, 3:57 pm

Sminoff I know who Blair is. He is a legend for Cardiff Blues but I just don't accept that him, Cuthbert and Halfpenny (that I do rate) is amongst one of the top back 3 units in Europe.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 26 Jan 2012, 4:04 pm

Apologies but I've got to say that Blair is/was a lot better than 'a good dependable signing' - The Blues missed him hugely when he got injured and he was one of their main players.

I'm not saying that they've got one of the best back 3's in Europe (that claim obviously goes to the Scarlets - Stoddart, North, L Williams) Wink but if Blair gets back to his old form it is quite a potent back 3, and could match the Ospreys (I think B Davies is ok but not amazing) - though obviously some of the teams you've mentioned like Leinster, Munster and Toulouse.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 26 Jan 2012, 5:13 pm

After the problems with Ben blair and his contract I'm amazed it has all been sorted out. Didnt the Blues stop paying him at some point and he took them to court? Headscratch
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 26 Jan 2012, 5:23 pm

AlynDavies wrote:After the problems with Ben blair and his contract I'm amazed it has all been sorted out. Didnt the Blues stop paying him at some point and he took them to court? Headscratch

I dont think he took them to court

Apparently there have been insurance issues though, and he wouldn't pass a medical if he joined a new club - or something like that.

He has always said he want to stay at the Blues if he can play.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 26 Jan 2012, 6:01 pm

wales606 wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:After the problems with Ben blair and his contract I'm amazed it has all been sorted out. Didnt the Blues stop paying him at some point and he took them to court? Headscratch

Apparently there have been insurance issues though, and he wouldn't pass a medical if he joined a new club - or something like that.

How long has he left on his contract? Because the Blues havent really had value for money have they? Erm
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 26 Jan 2012, 9:03 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
wales606 wrote:

How long has he left on his contract? Because the Blues havent really had value for money have they? Erm

Well, they weren't paying him after he had been injured for 6months.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 26 Jan 2012, 9:10 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
wales606 wrote:

That's the risk you take when you sign a player.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 26 Jan 2012, 10:32 pm

red_stag wrote:Off the top of my head I'd say Leinster, Munster, Ospreys, Toulouse, Clermont, Bayonne, Gloucester and Harlequins have stronger back three units.

Interesting. You're pretty unfair on Cuthbert, give him at least this 6 Nations. Your list isn't the best either. You've included Ospreys for a start, Williams hasn't played well for them for a long time and they have Fussell/B.Davies covering full back... You were right to include Munster and Leinster on this list though but especially right in mentioning Clermont. Their back three have been causing mayhem for the oppostion:

11. Sivivatu
14. Malzeu
15. Byrne

Blues back 3 has looked good all season, and they've rotated it too, example:

11. James/Robinson
14. Cuthbert/Mustoe
15. Czekaj/Halfpenny
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 28 Jan 2012, 12:01 pm

Morgannwg I'd say the only player who stands out as class in that bunch is Halfpenny - with of course Robinson and Cuthbert looking like they have the potential to be class, but they have a way to go to prove they are better than the internationals at the other teams.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 28 Jan 2012, 5:59 pm

Heard some of the commentary from the game - Blair seemed to be quite involved, but was stuck in a very young Blues team.

I liked the fact that the commentator kept slurring his words and says "bear got back there to make the tackle"

Well, I assume he was slurring, or the Blues have taken a slightly new and probably illegal version of an aggressive defence...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 28 Jan 2012, 10:26 pm

Scored 3 points too.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 29 Jan 2012, 1:17 am

This is how I will always remember Ben Blair:
From the 2004 Super 12 final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT6cLWw9nLM

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 9:24 am

doctor_grey wrote:This is how I will always remember Ben Blair:
From the 2004 Super 12 final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT6cLWw9nLM

I remember him for this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7996656.stm

and kicking form the touchline in the HC semi final to bring the scores level with minutes to go.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down