The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather sticks with HBO

+5
oxring
Jamson
azania
Perfessor Albertus Lion V
Adam D
9 posters

Go down

Mayweather sticks with HBO Empty Mayweather sticks with HBO

Post by Adam D Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:53 am

It looks like Mayweather has severed ties with Showtime for now, and has committed to HBO for the foreseeable future.

Is this just another excuse by the moneymaker to avoid Pac?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Mayweather sticks with HBO Empty Re: Mayweather sticks with HBO

Post by Perfessor Albertus Lion V Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:32 pm

Hobo wrote:It looks like Mayweather has severed ties with Showtime for now, and has committed to HBO for the foreseeable future.

~ Mr. Moneybags is sticking with HBO like he stuck them with charges of Slave wages many retirements ago.

We shall see whether HBO sticks with him after his 35 yr sentence is handed down on multiple felony charges in March, won't we?

https://www.606v2.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:24 pm

Hobo wrote:It looks like Mayweather has severed ties with Showtime for now, and has committed to HBO for the foreseeable future.

Didn't Pac leave HBO? No-one is ducking anyone here. They're going to get the biggest payday in history of boxing. But Pac should be tested daily.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Mayweather didn't have ties with Showtime to sever. Arum ran to Showtime for the Mosely fight. Anyway, I look forward to their fight and Floyd handing out a lesson to Pac.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamson Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:13 am

Shocking thread by Hobo.

Lacking in basic requirements.. i.e. Facts

Jamson

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:19 am

Jamson wrote:
Shocking thread by Hobo.

sorry about that - I was trying to kickstart some conversation on the boxing board by using something I read on the beeb.

I will be more detailed next time.

Sorry!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:11 am

Jamson wrote:
Shocking thread by Hobo.

Other than the fact that Floyd just released an interview pledging his future to HBO and condemning Pacman for going to showtime - yes - entirely devoid of facts. :?:

Anyway. Nice article hobo.

I don't think Floyd is ducking - but he is a hypocrite; after absolutely slating HBO all those years ago - but now they're his saviour?

Truth is - we want boxing back on the networks/terrestrial TV - so the sooner it leaves home box office, the better IMO.

Boxing is too obsessed by this notion of "PPVs" and "who sold what". If you don't sell - do you suddenly become a bad fighter? Since when did money decide ability?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:25 am

----------
Sorry Hobo but you've got this all wrong.

Mayweather signed a 5 fight deal with Golden Boy in 2009, whose fights are almost exclusively shown on HBO. He has never had any ties with Showtime. In fact Showtime haven't shown a PPV boxing event for about 3 or 4 years.

Pacquiao - whose last 8 fights have also been on HBO, has now signed to Showtime, so if the accusation of using the TV networks to avoid the other man should be levelled at anyone then it's him. However this would be unfair, as the move to Showtime is a one fight deal for the Mosley fight. Manny could easily continue to fight on HBO after the Mosley fight if he - or more specifically his promotor Bob Arum - chose to.

But to level this accusation at mayweather is inaccurate, he hasn't changed any of his professional arrangements - all he did was re-affirm his loyalty to his current contract when a journo asked him his opinion of manny moving to Showtime for the Mosley fight.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:29 am

Sorry for the confusion - I am a casual boxing viewer and saw this posted on another site and thought it would warrant discussion.

Having said that, it has, so although it may be slightly inaccurate, there was something there worth discussing.

Thanks for clearing up the details and sorry for the original inaccuracy.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rikwebb Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:02 pm

Has Pacquiao signed to Showtime for the foreseeable future or is it just for the Mosley fight?

rikwebb

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:39 pm

Showtime have options I believe - Arum wants to get Manny on the networks with CBS purportedly interested.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:02 pm

Deleted

Last edited by D4thincarnation on Mon May 30, 2011 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:52 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:What are the facts?

Top Rank have signed a deal with Showtime to show Top Rank fighters on Showtime.

One of the reasons given for this is that HBO only have 28 million customer while Showtime CBS have 115 million.

Was it Pacquiao decision?

No

Now Mayweather is two fights in with a deal with a 5 fight deal with Golden Boy promotions who are not tied with HBO and some of their fighters fight on Showtime. There is nothing stopping Floyd from fighting on Showtime on his next fight if he wanted to.

Now when Top Rank announce this decision of Manny vs Mosley will be fighting on Showtime, Mayweather breaks his 8 month silence from mainstream interviews, saying he is loyal to HBO.

Those are the facts.

Now why is Mayweather saying that for, it is clear that by saying that he is loyal to HBO clearly indicates he will only fight for HBO and not for Showtime. Now this becomes another barrier stopping the fight from happening.

Did Floyd seem worried about that?

It did not seem like it, he could wait to make that statement that he was loyal to HBO, even after he has criticized them on countless occasions.

There is nothing stopping Mayweather from fighting on Showtime apart from his "loyalty", very convenient.

Good article thumbsup

If Pac signed an exclusive deal with Primetime you would still say Floyd was ducking him.

Why should Floyd sign for Showtime or anyone else just because Pac went somewhere else? pac should man up and take the test.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:56 pm

Deleted

Last edited by D4thincarnation on Mon May 30, 2011 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:42 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Floyd has ducked him and still is, ducking Manny.

There is nothing stopping Floyd from fighting Pacquiao on Showtime, but Floyd still finds the need to come out and say he is Loyal to HBO.

Yet he has criticised them in the past for not showing him support and has said if it makes money it makes sense.

So are we meant to believe that Floyd is not willing to fight Manny because Manny is on Showtime is just down to Floyd principles of being a loyal guy?

Please don't tell me you buy that.

Why cant Pac fight Floyd on HBO and take the tests Floyd takes?

Floyd is the bigger draw, will get paid more. Why should he be chasing Pac. When offered the fight, Pac cried away from tests blaming all manner of things including scared of needles. This from a man with tats all over his body. Pull the other one mate.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Youarethegreatest Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:49 pm

Funny how manny ran to showtime as soon as he hear 'uncle roger' wasnt going to see time

Youarethegreatest

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:30 am

This whole thing about Floyd ducking Manny and Many ducking Floyd is silly. No one is ducking anyone. Floyd fights for money. So does Pac. This will be the biggest grossing fight in history with each boxer getting upwards of $50m. To suggest either is ducking is simply crazy. IMO the issues lies with their respective promoters. In particular Arum who has been a thief and crook for 49 of his 50 years in boxing.

I'm sure if Pac were to agree with the test and money split, they will fight asap (floyd's legal problems notwithstanding).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:31 pm

So are we meant to believe that Floyd is not willing to fight Manny because Manny is on Showtime is just down to Floyd principles of being a loyal guy?

Why cant manny fight floyd on HBO?

Why is it ok for manny to defect to showtime but unacceptable for floyd to stick with HBO?

If floyd had moved to Showtime you'd say he'd done that as a way of avoiding manny because mannys on HBO. Whatever they both do, you will always twist it to be like floyd is ducking manny.

New forum, same old D4, same old bulls**t.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:34 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

Why cant manny fight floyd on HBO?

Why is it ok for manny to defect to showtime but unacceptable for floyd to stick with HBO?

If floyd had moved to Showtime you'd say he'd done that as a way of avoiding manny because mannys on HBO. Whatever they both do, you will always twist it to be like floyd is ducking manny.

New forum, same old D4, same old bulls**t.

If I was getting paid $50m I'd fight Haye, Klits, Ward, Froch all on the same night.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Youarethegreatest Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:17 pm

[quote]If I was getting paid $50m I'd fight Haye, Klits, Ward, Froch all on the same night.

This 50 million is a figure that rose from 20 million - the media do this type of thing in football, the inflate player's transfer fees a lot more than reality. Floyd/Manny wont be getting anywhere near 50 milion, they'll be lucky to get more than 10 million which ofcourse is a phenomenal amount!

Youarethegreatest

Back to top Go down

Post by Youarethegreatest Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:18 pm

If I was getting paid $50m I'd fight Haye, Klits, Ward, Froch all on the same night.
---

This 50 million is a figure that rose from 20 million - the media do this type of thing in football, the inflate player's transfer fees a lot more than reality. Floyd/Manny wont be getting anywhere near 50 milion, they'll be lucky to get more than 10 million which ofcourse is a phenomenal amount

Youarethegreatest

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Youarethegreatest wrote:If I was getting paid $50m I'd fight Haye, Klits, Ward, Froch all on the same night.
---

This 50 million is a figure that rose from 20 million - the media do this type of thing in football, the inflate player's transfer fees a lot more than reality. Floyd/Manny wont be getting anywhere near 50 milion, they'll be lucky to get more than 10 million which ofcourse is a phenomenal amount

Didn't Floyd get near $40m for his fight with SSM? I believe that figure included proceeds from PPV sales. Plus Floyd being self promoted gets to keep a fair share of that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:42 pm

[quote="azania"]
Youarethegreatest wrote:
Didn't Floyd get near $40m for his fight with SSM? I believe that figure included proceeds from PPV sales. Plus Floyd being self promoted gets to keep a fair share of that.

Yeah Floyd made crazy money from the mosley fight. Probably why he hasnt fought since, the guy clearly isn't interested in fighting for titles or even legacy, just cash. Which is fair enough, it's his body, his life and his talent. I really think he will fight manny provided he comes through his legal issues, there's just too much money and pride on the line.

Manny will keep fighting for a few years yet. Financially he's not ready to retire - he's a notorious spend-thrift, gives fortunes away to the poor and also to various hangers on in his ridiculous entourage. A lot of his political campaigning in the Philippines has been self funded, estimated at $8 million of his personal fortune the last time out when he got voted in. It wont be the last time he has to lay out for it either, as he has to compete against some very rich political families in Filipino politics. Also, a lot of his fight purse goes to other people - i.e about 10% to Roach, a big cut to Arum, a small cut to Golden Boy. Manny has been badly managed throughout his career - ripped off some might say. Not that he's not doing well, just that he could be doing better if he'd been better advised early in his career and if he held onto more of his money.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down