The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The feeling of winning a Grand Slam

+13
Biltong
mankiaow
overlordofthewest
nganboy
Taffineastbourne
Feckless Rogue
majesticimperialman
Notch
Cari
TycroesOsprey
Shifty
HERSH
Portnoy
17 posters

Go down

The feeling of winning a Grand Slam Empty The feeling of winning a Grand Slam

Post by Portnoy Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:12 pm

Honestly, I don't think that anything ever gave me a greater buzz in rugby as a supporter.

To me the 5/6Ns has always been the prize - but there again, that was pretty much the only thing on offer for 50% of my life. So in that sense, I guess that I'm part of a dying breed.

So RWCs, HECs, Leagues come below the 6Ns in my personal rugby emotional aspirations.

To me the best day of the year bar none is the first day of the 6Ns*.

And nothing - not even Nov 22 2003 - has ever lifted my soul more than winning the GS.

*Ever since Scrum V, I've always posted an article to this effect. Treat it as a birthday card.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

The feeling of winning a Grand Slam Empty Re: The feeling of winning a Grand Slam

Post by HERSH Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:19 pm

I agree the 6 nations knocks spots off every other rugby competition even the HC and certainly that non event that took place last year, I think?

I love this time of year. Very Happy
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

The feeling of winning a Grand Slam Empty Re: The feeling of winning a Grand Slam

Post by Shifty Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:38 pm

Yup I'll never forget 2005 thats for sure, I went outside after we beat Ireland to secure our first one since 1979 and I dont think I ever seen so many people outside in my life. Elderly people were talking and smiling over their gardens, there were men drunk everywhere. I walked by Pyle Cross and some guy in his 60's was swerving from side to side, with a flagan of cider in his hand and he managed to say to me "du was great we won!" with a lot of slurring.
Every patch of grass you could see scruffy council estate kids in ripped Welsh rugby tops that must of been 10 years old playing rugby, even the girls were trying to play.

I don't think I'll ever forget it, 2007 wasnt really that special, but 2005 was because we waited such a long time and most of us thought we would never win one.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:09 pm

2007 definitely wasnt special Alyn but 2008 was Headscratch

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:17 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:2007 definitely wasnt special Alyn but 2008 was Headscratch
Sorry that's what I get for playing Monster High dolls wit my daughter and typing on a rugby forum at the same time, a loss of concentration! Laugh

2008 it is Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:18 pm

I remember 2005 well as I watched that outside City Hall on a warm sunny day in Cardiff. 2008 was a bit less different - I watched that at home with my mate. I didn't think we'd win that one. Also remember Ireland's GS win...Tommy's try broken

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:21 pm

Cari wrote:I remember 2005 well as I watched that outside City Hall on a warm sunny day in Cardiff. 2008 was a bit less different - I watched that at home with my mate. I didn't think we'd win that one. Also remember Ireland's GS win...Tommy's try broken

I was actually pleased Ireland won that one, I really thought they deserved a grand slam after so many years of triple crowns and disappointment. I thought 26 years was a long time to wait, but Ireland had to wait 61 years! Erm
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:27 pm

Yeah, I didn't mind it afterwards, because they did deserve it, but the initial loss was disappointing for us. We really could've beaten them that day. The fact that Tommy did one of his usual superb tries during that match just made it a bit more of a bitter pill to swallow. I enjoyed it afterwards though, and I knackered the springs on my sofa jumping on it so much during the match Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:38 pm

The only feeling in rugby I've had that surpassed the Ireland Slam in 2009 was Ulsters European win in 1999. I think that was only because I was there though.

Being there in person will always make victory taste sweeter, defeat harsher. The emotion of the occasion is always heightened.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:43 pm

That's very true Notch. I guess you just feel it more when you're there in person rather than watching on telly.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:44 pm

Aye, and the team can hear you better! Or not here you, when it comes to international rugby Rolling Eyes
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:47 pm

I have to say I really got into the Heino Final last year even though I was a neutral(ish) supporter; and when Leinster walked around doing their lap-of-honour afterwards I was like a groupie at a boyband gig (for shame!).

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:49 pm

Hahaha. I'm sure thats the metaphor Gibbo would have produced for that occasion The feeling of winning a Grand Slam 3559488474
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:51 pm

It relaly is a fantastic time when a team wins a Grand Slam, especialy when you your not expecting your team to win or will win, at the start of the tournement.

I would love to see a team, any team win a Grand Slam this year.

This year how ever i dont think their will be a Grand Slam to be honest. I am expecting a hard fought tournament though.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:54 pm

For about 20 minutes after Ireland won the Grand Slam in 2009, if I held my hand out, it was physically trembling with excitement. 2009 was probably one of the most nerve wracking, close shave endings a to Grand Slam ever though.

Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:57 pm

Majestic - I agree, I don't think there'll be a GS this year. Wales for the Triple Crown though! Very Happy Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:59 pm

I'm hoping it can bring the magic back to the Six Nations. This used to be such a great tournament! I think the last great Six Nations was maybe 2007, the last truly great Grand Slam winning side was Wales in 2005.

I'm still nervously excited but the magic of international rugby has gone a little bit. I would love this to be the tournament that reminds of us just why this tournament has captured the hearts and minds of so many fans.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:00 pm

Scrum V Six Nations preview on BBC 2 Wales now speaking of this tournament...!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun 29 Jan 2012, 10:21 pm

Never been overly bothered as a supporter.Must be special for the players.Just want Wales to play as well as they can and we end up where we end up.
Growing up with watching JPR,Gareth,etc I was spoiled,probably.Our boys did their best and stuff happened.
Bit of a dinosaur but if Wales are playing Rugby to be proud of I couldnt give a fig as to GS's,World Rankings etc.
Just want those boys to make me proud and do justice to the shirt.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sun 29 Jan 2012, 11:48 pm

It seems funny to me that winning a local tournament would rank higher than beating the best. Yes I understand traditional rivalry etc but surely having a good win in a tournament including the best teams would be more satisfying than beating a bunch of teams that your are ranked higher than.
I would have thought the wins in 2002 against NZ and the 2003 world cup when you were clearly one of the best teams in the world would be better than 2011 where you won the 6N but played some average rugby and were clearly not a great team.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:55 am

I was in a pub in Cardiff with what seemed to be an equal mix of Welsh and Irish in '05.
I'll never forget that feeling. The congratulations from the Irish boys was a bit surreal - I felt as if I were part of the team - ha ha. The atmosphere was superb, we were peeing distance from the ground ( well... almost) and 2of my mates got tickets but the rest if us didn't.
I remember being so blwdy envious, thinking it could be a very long time before I get this chance again. Three years later I was there, had a ticket and watched us win it from the second tier on the halfway line!
I still think the first one was more magical though. It may have been the way in which it all happened, it may have been the fact that it was so long since we won one or it may have been the style of play all tournament that year. Whatever it was, it was special.
I'm filling up a bit now!

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by mankiaow Mon 30 Jan 2012, 2:03 am

nganboy wrote:It seems funny to me that winning a local tournament would rank higher than beating the best. Yes I understand traditional rivalry etc but surely having a good win in a tournament including the best teams would be more satisfying than beating a bunch of teams that your are ranked higher than.
I would have thought the wins in 2002 against NZ and the 2003 world cup when you were clearly one of the best teams in the world would be better than 2011 where you won the 6N but played some average rugby and were clearly not a great team.

I agree, to an extent, but with the irregulaity of matches against the SH and with the WC only coming around every four years, it's hard to get too excited about the odd win over SH teams.

Ireland's GS was great because of the 61 years thing(which happens to be brought up every time it(GS) is mentioned). At the time it was a protent of things to come. But hasn't really worked out that way. Having said that, I think Ireland's best years are still ahead of them. We've had some consistent results against Oz and SA, but we really need to lay that other ghost of our record against NZ. Could it be this year?

I think even if NZ were in the 6n every year they wouldn't stroll it. Remember, France have been the team to beat here and you have been known to struggle against them!

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 30 Jan 2012, 5:52 am

Seeing that our country has never been involved in the Six Nations I won't be able to fathom the deep sense of satisfaction with winning the Grandslam.

However beating any of the traditional top nations provides me with oodles of satisfaction.

I can't say the Tri Nation trophies have given me as much satisfaction as the world cup trophies.

In 1995 beating New Zealand and Australia in the world cup was probably my most pleasurable event, perhaps so because it was our first world cup.

1998 with the 17 consecutive wins and thrashing many opponents comes close.

2007 was more of a feeling of relief than pleausre as I though that would be our last chance to win a world cup before politics would totally ruin our sport.

2009 Lions series win was pleasant after losing the 1997 series because of poor goal kicking.

The 2009 Tri Nations was pleasant, not becuase we won the trophy, but becuase we beat NZ 3-0 that year.

But now I want it all, 75% win record, taking control of the four nations and dominating world rugby for a few years would be satisfactory.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 30 Jan 2012, 6:39 am

I suppose the equivalent down south is 6-0 in the 3N last year, probably the toughest to do in world rugby including the world cup to win 6 straight against top 3 sides.
That in no way compares to winning the wcup but perhaps thats because we havnt for a while but technically its a lot tougher. Especially home and away.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:45 pm

For me it's a different type of satisfaction when beating the southern hemisphere teams. I'm delighted because it shows we're a very good team and have played well.

When beating England I think the happiness is coming from the primitive, tribal caveman part of my brain. It always feels like there's something more important than just rugby at stake. Even though there isn't. This year my disgust at the prospect of losing to England will be multiplied by the fact that the match is on St. Patrick's Day. Defeat is not an option.

I sometimes feel sorry for the English, that they have to go through 4 historical grudge matches every tournament. But it doesn't last long. It's their own fault for winning all those battles.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:47 pm

portnoy you havent won a world cup, times your feeling by 1000 and you may understand!!!

edit- are you english- ignore my post lol- i will leave it there anyway to explain how i feel

Last edited by mystiroakey on Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:48 pm

Strokey, Portnoy is a Leicester-supporting Englishman

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:49 pm

yeah just worked that one out- i should read peoples posts lol, still have no idea why he feels that way mind- 2003 was the best feeling and cant be beaten especially doing it in the SH

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:03 pm

I sometimes feel sorry for the English, that they have to go through 4 historical grudge matches every tournament. But it doesn't last long. It's their own fault for winning all those battles.

Yes it can be a bit alarming as you say FR.

Fighting all those grudge matches. But it makes it all the more exciting when England win, if not all those grudge matches, winning most of them and watching the faces of the oppo, stair at the ground and thinking, Those dam English have done it again. thumbsup

Lookin forward to a great tournamet and may the best team win. (ENGLAND OF COURSE) Ale

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:12 pm

Every rugby game is a grudge match............... I hope anyway, as that's why they mean so much. We played Russia in the world cup - they won't be a grudge side for us if we meet them again somewhere, but we'll be one for them. They'll think - 'this time you're not getting away with it.'

And the English will think "Not on this day, Paddy!!! Not on this day on our own turf! - No way. It stops here." - grudge.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down