The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is winning a grand slam, a year before the lions tour a bad thing?

+7
fa0019
Biltong
EnglishReign
Taffineastbourne
maestegmafia
Cymroglan
hugo124
11 posters

Go down

Is winning a grand slam, a year before the lions tour a bad thing? Empty Is winning a grand slam, a year before the lions tour a bad thing?

Post by hugo124 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:01 pm

First of all, this is not a joke article!In 2008, Wales won the grand slam and Ryan Jones was the captain.In 2009, Ryan Jones wasn't even picked for the Lions squad.Who's to say Warburton will be picked for the Lions in 2013.If I was a Welsh fan, I would be annoyed that Wales won the championship in 2012 and would think that it will all change next year.Who knows, maybe Scotland will win the grand-slam 2013, probably not though.

hugo124

Back to top Go down

Is winning a grand slam, a year before the lions tour a bad thing? Empty Re: Is winning a grand slam, a year before the lions tour a bad thing?

Post by Cymroglan Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:03 pm

I cant see how winning the 6N in any year can be a bad thing.
I would be far more worried if we had not won it.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Is winning a grand slam, a year before the lions tour a bad thing? Empty Re: Is winning a grand slam, a year before the lions tour a bad thing?

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:07 pm

Hugo my friend you'll have to extrapolate much further on your theory.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:08 pm

I suppose when you have only won a GS once you would not be so picky.Even after you have won a few you wouldnt turn it down.
Seems a tad silly to be honest.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:10 pm

Not sure if serious.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:12 pm

Was it not merely a coincidence.

I remember reading about one of the Jones' who lost form soe time ago, here on 606V2 sometime last year, I don't know if it was Ryan Jones, I will see if I can find it.

Perhaps that was the reason, but will get back if I find something.

But in general I can't see how winning the six Nations could be negative, in fact it would stand to reason that the squad would have the form players an if the core is welsh then so be it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by hugo124 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:32 pm

In my opinion, I think Wales have peaked at the wrong time and will not have the season they think they will next year.

hugo124

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:36 pm

you mean because everything works in cycles??? Dude, I think you've been watching to many Keanu Reeves movies. If you were correct, my bonnie scotland has been in one long trough in our cycle.

You certainly put yourself up as a target when you're the champions of something however, you become the team everyone wants to beat which is why back to back 6N titles are rare, let alone back to back GS.

Additionally, often teams which make huge effort to acheive become the best on the rugby field often pay with a few longterm casualities which hinder their chances of repeating their success... please see ENG post 03 and SA post lions series and 3N title in 2009 as evidence to this.

There may be a little method to your madness.. at a stretch at least Smile

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:37 pm

hugo124 wrote:In my opinion, I think Wales have peaked at the wrong time and will not have the season they think they will next year.

Why?

They are a young team with a number of young and good quality players supporting the first team in all positions. Why would Wales not see success for a few years now?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:37 pm

hugo124 wrote:In my opinion, I think Wales have peaked at the wrong time and will not have the season they think they will next year.

Peaked ? they have only been together a few months and you already talk of them being on top of their game.
They did fairly well in the WC won the 6N after having to fight tooth and nail for it. This side has a lot more to prove before we can start talking of them going downhill.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:39 pm

Cymroglan wrote:

Peaked ? they have only been together a few months and you already talk of them being on top of their game.
They did fairly well in the WC won the 6N after having to fight tooth and nail for it. This side has a lot more to prove before we can start talking of them going downhill.

I agree, and most in Wales would also, that the welsh team are merely at the foot of their climb, they have a long way to climb.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:42 pm

I personally think this theory of a team peaking is hogwash, if a coach doesn't perform with his team and the players are out of form everyone wants to be part of the lynch mob, if they perform people are forever concerned whether the team has peaked to early for either the upcoming tour or future tournament.

What happened to just being happy a team is on form now. after all isn't it important to just enjoy the moment?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:46 pm

We haven't peaked like in 08 in fairness, this GS required a good bit of grinding out and 'winning ugly'.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:46 pm

Peaked? Wales are capable of playing better than they currently are. I think Ireland could still beat them ut Wales certainly weren't at the top of thier game for a lot of the 6N. They will get better. Also I don't think winning a slam is a bad thing at all. Althoug in hindsight it might give Kidney longer time in the Irish job then he deserves

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by hugo124 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:47 pm

Why?

They are a young team with a number of young and good quality players supporting the first team in all positions. Why would Wales not see success for a few years now?[/quote]

I don't think the players Wales have are as good as people may think they are!
Is there any secret to there success?They are bigger and stronger than everyone else.They don't have a great amount of skill in their backline.

hugo124

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:52 pm

hugo124 wrote:
Is there any secret to there success?They are bigger and stronger than everyone else.They don't have a great amount of skill in their backline.

Come on now it's obvious that you are wumming.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:55 pm

No WUM ever changes his/her tune OK

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:57 pm

hugo124 wrote:
Why?

They are a young team with a number of young and good quality players supporting the first team in all positions. Why would Wales not see success for a few years now?

Is there any secret to there success?They are bigger and stronger than everyone else.They don't have a great amount of skill in their backline.[/quote]

That back line score all Wales tries, they won every game, they also won well in a number of games in the RWC. They scored plenty of skillfull tries. Roberts vs Italy skill and pace not brute force, Cuthberts two tries, births beautiful pass to Davies for the score against Ireland.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:27 pm

There's nothing stopping a bunch of young players no one has heard of being unearthed next year and contending for lions honours.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:34 pm

To true. Last time players like Halfpenny only gained their first caps in the Autumn Internationals.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:38 pm

Oi, maesteg, PM for you mate! Check it!

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:43 pm

I think winning the World Cup a few months before winning a Slam can be a very bad thing. I think that but I'm damned if I can come up with a good reason why!

Where do you guys come up with these thoughts? Win a Slam when you can and hope for the rest...or worry about it when it happens.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:54 pm

SecretFly wrote:I think winning the World Cup a few months before winning a Slam can be a very bad thing. I think that but I'm damned if I can come up with a good reason why!
Where do you guys come up with these thoughts? Win a Slam when you can and hope for the rest...or worry about it when it happens.

Yep, can't help you either. Shocked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:30 pm

No. No it isn't.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down