The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Theres £1,852,890 down the toilet then

+7
LondonTiger
lostinwales
SecretFly
nathan
miteyironpaw
RuggerRadge2611
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
11 posters

Go down

Theres  £1,852,890  down the toilet then Empty Theres £1,852,890 down the toilet then

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:08 pm

http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2012/rugby/story/158500.html

Glad to see that Lancasters New England are longer to be motivated by money and purely the passion of being a just like Gary Neville and some Welsh bloke from the cricket. I guess Armitage will be annoyed hes missing out on this wouldve been handy to pay his legal fees.

Negative mood regarding England at the moment. In reality of course this sort of thing is perfectly normal and I believe ( cba to do the maths ) a below infaltion rise in what they were offered last year. In the grand scheme of sproting payouts its far from huge.
But it does give another opportunity to tbash England which we all love doing right?

Last edited by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Theres  £1,852,890  down the toilet then Empty Re: Theres £1,852,890 down the toilet then

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:16 pm

Doing it for money is the wrong attitude from the get go. If winning the Grand Slam requires money to motivate players to aspire to achieve it, I think that's the wrong message.

I'm sure lots of players on the fringes of the England squad and thousands of English rugby players across the country would play for England for no money at all.

IMO playing for your country should be the greatest honour a player can have and it should need no financial motivation.

I always remember the story about Ronnie O'Sullivan on the cusp of a 147 break in a snooker tournament a couple of years ago asking the referee if there was a prize for getting it. Upon hearing there was no prize O'Sullivan deliberatly missed the final pot. A disgrace IMO.

In sport you should always do things for yourself and country rather than money.

Just my opinion though.

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Theres  £1,852,890  down the toilet then Empty Re: Theres £1,852,890 down the toilet then

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:17 pm

I could think of thousands of players on the fringes of the England squad who would play for England for no money at all.

Thousands? And you can think of them all?
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:21 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Doing it for money is the wrong attitude from the get go. If winning the Grand Slam requires money to motivate players to aspire to achieve it, I think that's the wrong message.

I could think of thousands of players on the fringes of the England squad who would play for England for no money at all.

IMO playing for your country should be the greatest honour a player can have and it should need no financial motivation.

I always remember the story about Ronnie O'Sullivan on the cusp of a 147 break in a snooker tournament a couple of years ago asking the referee if there was a prize for getting it. Upon hearing there was no prize O'Sullivan deliberatly missed the final pot. A disgrace IMO.

In sport you should always do things for yourself and country rather than money.

Just my opinion though.

hold on a minute. No player in the EPS has said or acting like they are doing it for the money. What makes you think they wouldn't do it for no money?

This is just a story on how much they'll get paid. Nothing more...

Also the RFU need to find the person who is leaking all this stuff to the telegraph.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:25 pm

nathan wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Doing it for money is the wrong attitude from the get go. If winning the Grand Slam requires money to motivate players to aspire to achieve it, I think that's the wrong message.

Just my opinion though.

hold on a minute. No player in the EPS has said or acting like they are doing it for the money. What makes you think they wouldn't do it for no money?

Also the RFU need to find the person who is leaking all this stuff to the telegraph.

You misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting players are doing it for money. However it cannot be argued against money is a factor when such a huge sum is being mentioned should England be successful in winning the grand slam.

Clearly the powers in the RFU feel the glory, history and bragging rights in winning a grand slam are not motivational enough for the players hence this sum of money is being mentioned.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:42 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
nathan wrote:

Just my opinion though.

You misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting players are doing it for money. However it cannot be argued against money is a factor when such a huge sum is being mentioned should England be successful in winning the grand slam.

Clearly the powers in the RFU feel the glory, history and bragging rights in winning a grand slam are not motivational enough for the players hence this sum of money is being mentioned.

Money is always a factor, it's their day job. Anyone who disagree's with that are telling fibs. Your making out that they have had a massive increase into the amount they get paid, which isn't the case.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 30 Jan 2012, 1:07 pm

Club is the day job - International is the honour bestowed on those who allegedly deserve the honour. International isn't the day job, it's the vehicle you use to sustain a day job or indeed get a better one.

International gives you negotiating leverage for the day jobs. So playing for nothing mightn't be a bad thing at International level - no player chooses to be one, they're not operating on a contract basis; they're picked; and it's a small elite group who make it.

Of course they'll get paid because whatever about International being the day job, they are still professionals. But for the best of them, money won't be the motivation they'll bring with them onto the field. Pride, honour and a basic desire to win will be.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 30 Jan 2012, 1:14 pm

SecretFly wrote:Club is the day job - International is the honour bestowed on those who allegedly deserve the honour. International isn't the day job, it's the vehicle you use to sustain a day job or indeed get a better one.

International gives you negotiating leverage for the day jobs. So playing for nothing mightn't be a bad thing at International level - no player chooses to be one, they're not operating on a contract basis; they're picked; and it's a small elite group who make it.

Of course they'll get paid because whatever about International being the day job, they are still professionals. But for the best of them, money won't be the motivation they'll bring with them onto the field. Pride, honour and a basic desire to win will be.

+1 clap

Playing for your country is the single biggest honour a player can have. If it's money that motivates you to play well for your country, you should be ashamed of yourself.

If I were a pro and were good enough and I was called up to play for Scotland I would probably refuse my payment. The honour of representing my country and knowing that I am the best in my country for that position would be more than enough payment for me.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 30 Jan 2012, 1:18 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
+1 clap

Playing for your country is the single biggest honour a player can have.

Which is presumably why Stuart Lancaster played for Scotland. Whistle

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 30 Jan 2012, 1:39 pm

Is it just me or does Lancaster look like Chris Barrie? - Brittas Empire

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 30 Jan 2012, 1:42 pm

a fitter version, yes.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 30 Jan 2012, 2:18 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:If I were a pro and were good enough and I was called up to play for Scotland I would probably refuse my payment. The honour of representing my country and knowing that I am the best in my country for that position would be more than enough payment for me.

Then, frankly, you would be stupid. I am sure the blazered fools who run the SRU would be happy to keep the money for their own bloated expenses instead.

A few years ago it was decided that the England players should switch from a match fee to a payment that was split between a a set appearance fee and a performance related bit. they only get this bonus if they perform well enough to win a GS (which would be a massive achievement). Unlike some bonuses paid out nowadays the success criteria is pretty easy to understand.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 30 Jan 2012, 2:25 pm

Reward for winning - yes. As they'll have bills to pay and pensions to worry about that won't be eased by photographs of them winning a GS...So yes, payment for performance. But inducement to perform? Some players will be induced by the money and some will be induced by their competitive spirit.

I think RuggerRadge's point is that the ones induced by the money (and wasn't that one of the niggles that came out of England's WC debate? - players chatting about money rather than performance) should be weeded out - of any International side, not just England.
Of course that's 'perfect-world' thinking as you never can prove what a player is thinking - but sometimes you can detect it in his perfromance.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:12 pm

Good lord! England are paying their players are they? Whatever next? I bet no other national Rugby team are being paid even one cent!

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:31 pm

Easter made a joke well after the game that they'd lost some money. Black humour. I doubt very much it was actually the motivation.

Generally the disagreements between players and the union about pay are down to the RFU squeezing as much money out of them as possible and not giving it the ones putting their health on the line. If the RFU officials were all voluntary posts then doubt it would ever come up.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:34 pm

So that works out at just under £62,000 each...if they do well, which they probably wont given how little they have all played together...so thats over say 6 weeks of rugby? so incomparison...

6 weeks wages
Tiger woods £7.6 million
David Beckham £3 million
Lionel Messi £2.4 million
Kimi Raikonnen £3.2 million
Sabastian chabal: £143, 000

I love the fact we are having this conversation as it shows how grounded rugby folk still are....however whilst £62000 is a load of money for us mere mortals it aint that much in the world of professional sport.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:35 pm

Get Sir Mr Fred Goodwin in charge of finance he would give away loads of money.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:01 pm

sirtidychris wrote:So that works out at just under £62,000 each...if they do well, which they probably wont given how little they have all played together...so thats over say 6 weeks of rugby? so incomparison...

6 weeks wages
Tiger woods £7.6 million
David Beckham £3 million
Lionel Messi £2.4 million
Kimi Raikonnen £3.2 million
Sabastian chabal: £143, 000

I love the fact we are having this conversation as it shows how grounded rugby folk still are....however whilst £62000 is a load of money for us mere mortals it aint that much in the world of professional sport.

Every product has a market price. Rugby players have the misfortune of playing a sport that doesn't command the same world attention, the same amounts in attention-seeking sponsorship or the same amounts in TV revenue. Woods is worth his 7 million because he's taking his slice from the total. Rugby players take their equivalent slice. I don't think there are losers, just unlucky rugby players who couldn't hit a barn door with a club Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down