The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Davis Cup for Murray as usual

+12
erictheblueuk
legendkillar
Tenez
noleisthebest
Super D Boon
hawkeye
JuliusHMarx
barrystar
bogbrush
Josiah Maiestas
CaledonianCraig
newballs
16 posters

Go down

No Davis Cup for Murray as usual Empty No Davis Cup for Murray as usual

Post by newballs Tue 31 Jan 2012, 1:49 pm

So Andy's not going to play in the Davis Cup:

"I've been told to take a few weeks off after picking up a few minor injuries in Australia." he reportedly said adding that his main focus is "the Slams and the Olympics".

Now I can understand where his priorities lie but he claimed some niggling injury at the year end finals and more issues leading into the Davis Cup. Wouldn't it be more honest of him just to admit he still doesn't want to play Davis Cup at the moment?

Obviously Lendl will want to spend time looking at his performance against Djokovic in particular and tweaking his game somewhat so I guess the Davis Cup would at best have been a distraction. It does make the LTA look silly though especially since I assume it's the same car park lot in Glasgow and without Murray the whole tie seemingly swings in Slovakia's favour.

newballs

Back to top Go down

No Davis Cup for Murray as usual Empty Re: No Davis Cup for Murray as usual

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:05 pm

No he didn't claim a niggling injury it was an injury that forced him to pull out of that event.As you understand where is priorities lie then that is fine.Bottom line is that with or without Murray at the moment GB will struggle to got much further in the competition anyway until we find another top class singles player.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:22 pm

As GB have players like James Ward (said to have far more potential than rookie of the year Andy M) and Jamie Murray (grand slam doubles title to his name) then there is nothing to worry about. GB are unbeatable going forward, Djokovic will be forced to retire with a nose bleed after coming up against formidable serve/volleyer James "Warrior" Ward.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Tue 31 Jan 2012, 3:33 pm

CC this was a winnable tie with Murray but without him?

Fact is the will he/won't debate will go on and on ad infinitum anyway. If he's still trying to win that elusive slam it'll be to achieve that goal, if he does it'll be because he wants to claim the no. 1 spot no doubt.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 Jan 2012, 3:36 pm

I don't see why Murray should feel under any obligation to play Davis Cup.

I don't understand why anyone ever funded him to pursue a private career for his own advantage.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 31 Jan 2012, 3:38 pm

newballs wrote:CC this was a winnable tie with Murray but without him?

Fact is the will he/won't debate will go on and on ad infinitum anyway.

Only because folk like you want to talk about it. If the debate tires you I suggest that you wait and see what he decides and respect it.

Personally I could not give a stuff if he plays DC, in fact I'd rather he doesn't until such time as he realises his singles ambitions which would do more for him and more for British Tennis and help highlight to the rest involved how much work there is for them to do.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 Jan 2012, 3:41 pm

Who cares about the proclaimed nationality of a winner?

You do all know that countries don't even exist, don't you?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Tue 31 Jan 2012, 3:45 pm

barrystar "respect" comes from openly honest decisions which people believe in. If the vast majority of tennis fans believe him then fine.

Beg to differ on the importance of the Davis Cup. Qualifying for then playing in the World Group would give a massive boost to British tennis whether or not Andy were ever to win a slam.

If, on the other hand, the Davis Cup now is actually widely thought of as an irrelevance then why don't we field a B team or youngsters like the top football teams do in the Carling Cup?

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 31 Jan 2012, 3:49 pm

bogbrush wrote:Who cares about the proclaimed nationality of a winner?

You do all know that countries don't even exist, don't you?

Do we exist?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 31 Jan 2012, 4:30 pm

It's up to Murray if he doesn't play. Although IMO he's crazy not too. A couple of easy "matches" (cough!.. its not like he's got to play Del Potro) in front of an adoring Glasgow crowd. Most players would jump at such an opportunity to show off and sign a few autographs. If I was his PR agent I would be twisting his arm...

But if he doesn't play he shouldn't interfere. And likewise decisions shouldn't be made with him in mind.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 31 Jan 2012, 4:55 pm

newballs wrote:So Andy's not going to play in the Davis Cup:

"I've been told to take a few weeks off after picking up a few minor injuries in Australia." he reportedly said adding that his main focus is "the Slams and the Olympics".

Now I can understand where his priorities lie but he claimed some niggling injury at the year end finals and more issues leading into the Davis Cup. Wouldn't it be more honest of him just to admit he still doesn't want to play Davis Cup at the moment?

Obviously Lendl will want to spend time looking at his performance against Djokovic in particular and tweaking his game somewhat so I guess the Davis Cup would at best have been a distraction. It does make the LTA look silly though especially since I assume it's the same car park lot in Glasgow and without Murray the whole tie seemingly swings in Slovakia's favour.

Murray has to make an excuse because the LTA will moan and bleat about him to the media if he doesn't play when he's healthy, so he needs to feign injury. He should just tell them straight that he's not going to waste his time carrying a bunch of no hoper LTA club players!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 31 Jan 2012, 4:58 pm

bogbrush wrote:I don't see why Murray should feel under any obligation to play Davis Cup.

I don't understand why anyone ever funded him to pursue a private career for his own advantage.

Playing for your country should not be an obligation, but privilege and honour. Just ask David Beckham.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 31 Jan 2012, 5:04 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
bogbrush wrote:I don't see why Murray should feel under any obligation to play Davis Cup.

Playing for your country should not be an obligation, but privilege and honour. Just ask David Beckham.
Yes but Beckham is in a team sport, if Murray manages to lose to an obscure low-ranked player, the negative publicity would go on forever. Beckham on the other hand often played with better player in the national team.

Wow i'm defending Murray. Headscratch
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 31 Jan 2012, 5:13 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

Yes but Beckham is in a team sport, if Murray manages to lose to an obscure low-ranked player, the negative publicity would go on forever. Beckham on the other hand often played with better player in the national team.

Murray / Beckham is an erroneous comparison. In football playing for your country is the zenith. However, in tennis it is not. Any player would prefer to win a slam than Davis Cup and so a slam is regarded more highly. A footballer would prefer to win the World Cup over the Champions League. Two different sports, opposite priorities.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 31 Jan 2012, 5:16 pm

I agree that until there is not a proper GB number 2, I can't see why Murray shoudl waste his time. It's a team sport and for that you need a "team"!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 31 Jan 2012, 5:20 pm

Super D Boon wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

Murray / Beckham is an erroneous comparison. In football playing for your country is the zenith. However, in tennis it is not. Any player would prefer to win a slam than Davis Cup and so a slam is regarded more highly. A footballer would prefer to win the World Cup over the Champions League. Two different sports, opposite priorities.
I just wish Murray said he isn't playing because the rest of team isn't good enough, cause that's what he is probably thinking no?
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:16 am

Yes you do wish that JM simply so it could give you another stick to beat him with. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typing error)
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:17 am

Not sure what all the fuss is about.

We have youngsters like Golding and Morgan as to which this could serve as an important learning curve given that these players find it increasingly difficult to qualify for top events.

If Murray played it would be the old chestnut of having to depend on Murray for a routine victory.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:22 am

Yes I agree there lk. We hear how good today's youngsters are well here is there chance to prove it. In the doubles department I don't think GB will have any problems.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:26 am

Agree CC.

If Murray plays the team get slated and if he doesn't he gets slated.

A no win situation for both camps.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:42 am

"Murray will now enjoy a short break before travelling to Florida for a first training camp with new coach Ivan Lendl instead of facing Slovakia":-

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/tennis-news/2012/01/31/andy-murray-to-sit-out-davis-cup-tie-in-glasgow-following-australian-open-exertions-86908-23728177/
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by bradman99.94 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:51 am

GB won’t win without AM, that doesn’t mean that he has to play, simply the facts. Okay, I know that shock results can and do happen but Slovakia have two players in the top 100, one just outside and a further two higher than 240. Ward is 155 with the next best at 242. Whoever plays for GB will be playing against better, higher ranked players in every game. Having said that, Evans is about to take Garcia-Lopez to a deciding set in Zagreb having come through qualifying……so perhaps there is hope!

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:37 pm

bradman Ward is no number 1 at this level (OK it would be nice to be proved wrong on that one). It means we have a no. 2 playing out of position and a lightweight replacement in that position.

Best we can hope for is an inspired performance from Ward winning his first match, scraping through the doubles and then Ward performing heroics again.

More realistically though a close (or not so close) fought loss which would be particularly galling.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:44 pm

James Ward won player of the tie when GB beat Hungary (yes, ahead of Murray) we have nothing to fear. James Ward has Chuck Norris genes.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:56 pm

JM by that surely you mean "Chuck Norris action jeans" with the special sewn in crotch?

http://www.denimology.com/2006/09/chuck_norris_action_jeans.php

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 01 Feb 2012, 2:42 pm

They seem really tight, not my cup of mug Run
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 7:05 pm

If GB hope to make the World Group then they cannot be overly reliant on one player to win ties. If the rest of the team can't cut it at Group 1 level without AM how would they cope with WG players? I'm not against Davis Cup in any way but, as a nation, we have to be realistic that Group 1 is the top level we can achieve without expecting a 100% record from our No.1.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 7:18 pm

I'm a Brit and a Murray fan... And I could not possibly care less if he plays Davis cup or not! In fact, I'd probably rather he didn't as it would be time better spent with Lendl. What would be the point in competing in the world group anyway with only one player who can realistically win matches?

As for why he's pulled out, well unless anyone has given him a medical examination in the last few days then we have to assume he's injured.

But whatever the reason, I don't personally care a jot.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 02 Feb 2012, 11:46 am

newballs wrote:barrystar "respect" comes from openly honest decisions which people believe in. If the vast majority of tennis fans believe him then fine.

Beg to differ on the importance of the Davis Cup. Qualifying for then playing in the World Group would give a massive boost to British tennis whether or not Andy were ever to win a slam.

If, on the other hand, the Davis Cup now is actually widely thought of as an irrelevance then why don't we field a B team or youngsters like the top football teams do in the Carling Cup?

I admire your naivety (unusual for you Very Happy ) on this subject but if the main broadcaster cannnot even remember who won the battles between Federer and Nadal (as they obviously can't when they put in writing that Federer won the 2008 Wimbledon Doh ) then I'm not too certain what a Davis Cup win would give

Like it or not the final was the top sporting story of the weekend. Add the Murray match and it made my favourite sport look boring. Yet it still got around 3rd billing at best as we all had to marvel at the Arsenal FA Cup comeback Whistle.

Bascially Footie rules - unless there's an Ashes contest and then footie still rules, but only just!!!

A Murray Slam win will have far greater impact as that tends to inspire the individuals who aspire to be good at Tennis - although a Davis Cup win would be good too for the Nation. However, we've no hope of that, unless we get another Top 20 player

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down