The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Davis Cup - Surprise Surprise No Murray

+10
sirfredperry
time please
Josiah Maiestas
bradman99.94
Henman Bill
monty junior
noleisthebest
newballs
hawkeye
reckoner
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Davis Cup - Surprise Surprise No Murray Empty Davis Cup - Surprise Surprise No Murray

Post by Guest Tue 27 Mar 2012, 10:57 am

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/7629546/Murray-to-miss-Davis-Cup-tie

Again Murray choosing to booster his chances at the Slams by not competing in Britain's tie with Belgium. Rather frustrating. Had Murray been woefully out of form, he just might have taken part. I am rather sick and tired of this kiss chase that GB play with Andy Murray when Davis Cup duty calls. It does however rather highlight the lack of depth in the mens department for GB.

I am hoping that Golding might get a chance to shine sooner or later.

I think Murray and GB should part ways for the time being if Andy holds all the cards to his participation.

Back to top Go down

Davis Cup - Surprise Surprise No Murray Empty Re: Davis Cup - Surprise Surprise No Murray

Post by reckoner Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:30 pm

I agree and perhaps he should take a page out of Djokovic's book, it might do him some good to take pride in DC.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Davis Cup - Surprise Surprise No Murray Empty Re: Davis Cup - Surprise Surprise No Murray

Post by hawkeye Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:31 pm

legendkiller

I agree with you! I think... It's embarrassing the way the GB team pull out all the stops in order to entice Andy to play (playing "kiss chase" as you put it). Andy keeps messing them about which does the team no good. It would be better for the GB team to give Andy the push once and for all and make future decisions based on what is best for players who are available to play.

Were I probably disagree with you is that IMO Murray is foolish to mess about like this. He could have gained greatly from being a fully commited and enthusiastic member of the team. More fool him...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:36 pm

He you agree with me?? kiss

See I am a Murray fan, and the Davis Cup saga that always drags out when it comes round serves nothing more but an irritant. If he just came out and said I shall not participate in Davis Cup ties for 2012, I wouldn't mind. Leon Smith when he came in was suppose to 'rejuvenate' the team and it is funny that Murray supported his appointment, but clearly not enough to play for him and the team.

They should kick Murray out and give the youngsters a try. If by a miracle GB makes it to the World Group play-off you just watch him become 'Available' again!

It sickens me that he would gladly benefit from the hard work of others.

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Wed 28 Mar 2012, 12:03 am

legendkillar if this is true then sadly it's no surprise. On one hand Andy's giving plenty of notice that he has other priorities but, like reckoner, I would like to think he might want to follow Novak's example.

It makes you wonder quite why Leon Smith was chosen as captain in the first place (yes I know the pundits say he's doing a good job) but wasn't that supposedly to entice Andy to play.

Also sorry but Belgium isn't the time to blood new players. At least I guess it'll ensure both Ward and Evans both get another chance but I fear that Belgium will be the ones to really benefit from this usual Andy reluctance.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 28 Mar 2012, 9:56 am

Murray has never been a Davis Cup die-hard fanatic, so he should not be judged in this area.
Unless you're heart's in it, it's hard to participate in that event.

He's just not that kind of a guy.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Wed 28 Mar 2012, 12:22 pm

Davis cup doesn't bother me whatsoever. It was a significant tournament a few decades back but not anymore, with the hard schedule and considering it's an individual sport, i'd much rather he is fresh for the big matches than beating some mug from Uzbekistan 0 0 1

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 28 Mar 2012, 1:04 pm

I think he should play however other top players do similar thing's so let's not make it too much just a Murray issue.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Mar 2012, 1:08 pm

HB,

I know it is not just a 'home' issue. It annoys because of the support Murray gave Smith and he doesn't repay that faith. I wish Andy would wipe his hands clean of DC duty until he feels ready to come back again.

Back to top Go down

Post by bradman99.94 Wed 28 Mar 2012, 1:56 pm

The big issue here is that the massive gap in talent between AM and the next best GB players means that whenever AM is/makes himself unavailable then in all probability GB will lose. This, of course, highlights an implicit pressure on him to play each and every game lest GB fall back down the DC tiers, excellent Slovakia win notwithstanding. It isn’t Murray’s fault that despite receiving millions each and every year that the LTA are completely incapable of producing top 100 players. It’s nowhere near as crucial to the team for the other top 3, even Switzerland have Stan Rolling Eyes

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed 28 Mar 2012, 2:16 pm

Murray isn't obliged to play DC but it might actually do him some good - Djokovic says his turning point came after playing DC and look at the season he went on to have...

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 28 Mar 2012, 2:27 pm

Murray doesn't play because he's a points hunter and thinks the DC is beneath him. He has not and will not win a slam in a GS final, even if he avoids the top 3 in it!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bradman99.94 Wed 28 Mar 2012, 2:30 pm

According to the Beeb he is planning to stay in the US to work with Lendl. I hear what you say about the great impetus the DC win gave Djoko but I don’t see GB scaling those heights with AM or otherwise; I think he’s found a better use of his time.

I realise he has a choice whether to play or not but to read some posters on here it makes me think he’ll be charged with treason if he skips this one; and just think what the average (non tennis specific type) sports fan will think………..some choice…….seems he has to lose precious time with his coach just to placate others. He’s making the correct decision

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 28 Mar 2012, 2:50 pm

I think Murray has made the correct decision for himself at this point in time.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 28 Mar 2012, 2:53 pm

time please wrote:I think Murray has made the correct decision for himself at this point in time.
Nah. Djokovic atleast waited 'til he got his 2nd slam and world number 1 status before he decided to rethink turning up for the Davis Cup.

Murray is underestimating how good the Davis Cup is for fine-tuning ones game.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bradman99.94 Wed 28 Mar 2012, 3:01 pm

Just a small point though, given that the DC and Miami dates have been known for some time, and presumably his coaching arrangements with Lendl, why didn’t he declare himself unavailable earlier? Has he actually said that he’s unavailable?

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 28 Mar 2012, 3:22 pm

The problem is not Murray, it's the Davis Cup. Instead of the players working themselves into a lather over pay and schedules, they should lobby to have the DC moved to once every four years or a once-every-two- year thing.
The reason top players don't commit themselves more is not because it's a tinpot thing but because it, nationally, means a lot. Consequently they know if they play they will have to give it their all in, what for some will be, three 5-set matches in three days.
Is it any wonder when the big boys don't play ? I just don't buy into this "They are being unpatriotic" stuff.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 28 Mar 2012, 3:26 pm

Instead of the players working themselves into a lather over pay and schedules, they should lobby to have the DC moved to once every four years
They have some of the best physicists in the world touring with them it is hardly a problem to play in the DC twice a year.

Federer and Nadal play more matches per season than Murray and they still make themselves more available for the DC than he does.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 28 Mar 2012, 3:29 pm

Murray should no way play DC. He could do far more for British tennis by winning a slam - the LTA/British press should agree that this is a total non-subject until such time as we have 1-2 other players in the top 50.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 28 Mar 2012, 3:33 pm

Murray should no way play DC. He could do far more for British tennis by winning a slam
Playing in the DC would stop him achieving a slam win how exactly?
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bradman99.94 Wed 28 Mar 2012, 3:33 pm

@Josiah - If GB had 3 players of a higher rank than AM would you still be so insistent that he is being unpatriotic by making himself unavailable? I don’t think you would; indeed I don’t hear you complaining about Bogdanovich (a while ago) making himself unavailable for DC games….it’s the same choice it’s just that because he’s GB’s only top class player that you notice his absence……..that’s not his fault, it’s the LTA’s

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 28 Mar 2012, 3:34 pm

Nadal is not playing at all this year and Fed dips in and out of it, although he put in a real effort to play in Australia last year.
Djoko represents a small country who now have some great players and so his situation is slightly different.
Agree totally with Barrystar about the Slam v DC debate.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 28 Mar 2012, 3:35 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
Murray should no way play DC. He could do far more for British tennis by winning a slam
Playing in the DC would stop him achieving a slam win how exactly?

That's for him to decide and screw his critics.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 28 Mar 2012, 3:38 pm

Barry,

Playing less tennis does not make you a better player.

Doesn't happen!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 28 Mar 2012, 3:48 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Barry,

Playing less tennis does not make you a better player.

Doesn't happen!

Murray is the World No. 4 and he has some pretty good advice - if he decides that DC is not in his interests that is the end of the debate.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 28 Mar 2012, 3:54 pm

Henman Bill wrote:I think he should play however other top players do similar thing's so let's not make it too much just a Murray issue.

No they don't. Its not just about playing or not playing. It's about the influence he is allowed to have over the team (who is or isn't in it, who is or isn't allowed to be captain, where he would or wouldn't like ties to be played, how he is critical of team members to his friends in the press etc etc...) and how he still isn't up front about whether or not he intends to play. Sometimes informing the press and not the captain first, injuries that appear and disapear, leaving it to the last minute. He behaves like a prima donna. Maybe its not entirely his fault as he's allowed to get away with it. Give some people an inch and they take a mile.

It's not good for him and it's not good for the team. The GB team should give him the push once and for all.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 28 Mar 2012, 4:03 pm

hawkeye wrote:
Henman Bill wrote:I think he should play however other top players do similar thing's so let's not make it too much just a Murray issue.

No they don't. Its not just about playing or not playing. It's about the influence he is allowed to have over the team (who is or isn't in it, who is or isn't allowed to be captain, where he would or wouldn't like ties to be played, how he is critical of team members to his friends in the press etc etc...) and how he still isn't up front about whether or not he intends to play. Sometimes informing the press and not the captain first, injuries that appear and disapear, leaving it to the last minute. He behaves like a prima donna. Maybe its not entirely his fault as he's allowed to get away with it. Give some people an inch and they take a mile.

It's not good for him and it's not good for the team. The GB team should give him the push once and for all.

Oh for crying out loud - can't you see it's people like you brewing it up that help makes this a story? The British DC team is a total waste of time at the moment and they should leave Murray alone, but they won't admit that for obvious reasons and nor will the flag-waving press. It's obvious that the only reason that someone raises this as an issue on a tennis forum is to demonstrate their dislike for Murray and not because they have any rational point to make.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 28 Mar 2012, 4:27 pm

barrystar

It is a story because no player acts like this. We could I suppose just pretend we havn't noticed. Difficult when the whole Murray Davis cup issue takes centre stage in British media tennis coverage

Clearly Murray isn't commited to play so I agree the British team should "leave Murray alone" but they won't. He should also leave them alone and not build up their hopes by playing his version of kiss and chase.

Both Murray and the GB team come off badly because of this. My "point" is would be better for both if the GB team gave Murray the push once and for all.

I suppose you think the British DC team is a waste of space because the players are not as good as Murray? Sadly they are all we have and at least they are commited.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 28 Mar 2012, 4:34 pm

hawkeye - I think we both accept that the sensible and purely principled thing to do would be for the DC team and Murray to agree that he's not expected to play. Trouble is that that in the real world such theoretical decisions don't work - as you well know.

It's your choice - take a rational view or keep rubbing the sore. You find the latter irresistable because you hate Murray.

For the avoidance of doubt, I do think it's a waste of time requiring Murray to play DC with the rest of the British Team until they improve. I am struggling to think of a Country with such a disparity between the No. 1 and the No. 2 - no doubt you will be able to fill me in.....
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bradman99.94 Wed 28 Mar 2012, 4:36 pm

hawkeye wrote:barrystar
I suppose you think the British DC team is a waste of space because the players are not as good as Murray? Sadly they are all we have and at least they are commited.

It allows them an opportunity to play in front of a large crowd and on a major stage, one above what their skills would normally allow, I think you’ll find that this goes some way to explain their enthusiasm for DC

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 28 Mar 2012, 6:17 pm

barrystar wrote:hawkeye - I think we both accept that the sensible and purely principled thing to do would be for the DC team and Murray to agree that he's not expected to play. Trouble is that that in the real world such theoretical decisions don't work - as you well know.

It's your choice - take a rational view or keep rubbing the sore. You find the latter irresistable because you hate Murray.

For the avoidance of doubt, I do think it's a waste of time requiring Murray to play DC with the rest of the British Team until they improve. I am struggling to think of a Country with such a disparity between the No. 1 and the No. 2 - no doubt you will be able to fill me in.....

What is it you disagree with me about?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Wed 28 Mar 2012, 6:54 pm

barrystar wrote:hawkeye - I think we both accept that the sensible and purely principled thing to do would be for the DC team and Murray to agree that he's not expected to play. Trouble is that that in the real world such theoretical decisions don't work - as you well know.

well according to Roger there's him then there's the rest of Switzerland.
Bagdhatis must be a one man team.
According to Tomic anyway Hewitt's not worth hitting with so I guess he doesn't have much respect for his team-mates either

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Mar 2012, 6:59 pm

In four years time Scotland will vote for independence and the Great British Davis Cup team will divide into Scotland, and Englanawelshirlandofthenorth. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:14 pm

Newballs - "According to Tomic anyway Hewitt's not worth hitting with so I guess he doesn't have much respect for his team-mates either.

Rather strange remark by Tomic about a former number one. What's this all about ?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:16 pm

hawkeye wrote:barrystar

It is a story because no player acts like this. We could I suppose just pretend we havn't noticed. Difficult when the whole Murray Davis cup issue takes centre stage in British media tennis coverage

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Next, you'll be telling us that your only concern are the other DC players and that your dislike of Murray has no bearing on you thinking that is a "story"

Do you think there should be a Panorama special?

Priceless!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:21 pm

Murray isn't alone. Federer has done it before.

If I were Swiss I would feel annoyed with Federer.

I am only annoyed because Smith would've in my mind be preparing with Murray in mind and once the fixture was announced, which was in February, I feel Murray could've ruled himself out then and there.

It is clear he has so much work ahead of him withn Lendl.

My only gripe is lack of communication and the frequency this occurs considering he has played in the DC against lower ranked countries.

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:21 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Newballs - "According to Tomic anyway Hewitt's not worth hitting with so I guess he doesn't have much respect for his team-mates either.

Rather strange remark by Tomic about a former number one. What's this all about ?

Apparently one of Hewitt's team asked one of Tomic's team if he'd like to hit with Hewitt, to which Tomic's guy said "no, he's not good enough". I don't think it was Tomic himself, but of course I could be wrong.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:22 pm

It's a non story, made into an issue by those who always choose to judge Murray far more harshly than any other player in the same situation

Someone will have to tell me what is wrong with him choosing not to give the 3rd rate GB Team the same attention as Nole gives the 1st Class Serbian team - I await answers with interest

As repeated many times, there will be a far greater boost to British Tennis when Andy wins a Major than if they get to the SF's of the Davis Cup (face it; even with Andy there is no way we would get any further)

Fact is, with the subtle improvements in his forehand - he has a chance to get his first Clay court title and who know perhaps do an Agassi at The French - he certainly will have lesser chance if he's daft enough to enter

In September 2009, the silly Scot played Davis Cup when carrying a wrist injury which meant, he then effectively ended his season, i.e. gave himself no chance of winning the O2

Thank goodness he's learnt the lesson

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:24 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Murray isn't alone. Federer has done it before.

If I were Swiss I would feel annoyed with Federer.

I am only annoyed because Smith would've in my mind be preparing with Murray in mind and once the fixture was announced, which was in February, I feel Murray could've ruled himself out then and there.

It is clear he has so much work ahead of him withn Lendl.

My only gripe is lack of communication and the frequency this occurs considering he has played in the DC against lower ranked countries.

I half agree, but empathise with Andy because his heart probably wants to play - but his head tells him what he should be doing. i.e. he could just say no to DC for the next year, but probably sees it as disloyal and so we get these sagas

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:29 pm

Banbrotam. Glad you raised that DC tie when Murray played on injured. He really did himself in. It made him very wary about playing further ties.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:32 pm

Spot on banbrotam. A GB team with Murray is not going to progress any further until GB can produce a player that makes it into at least the top 50 in the world much like Bradman said earlier. Besides, as has been pointed out before the season started, we are now entering a critical phase of Andy's career and his game is being restructured with new coach Ivan Lendl so it i more important for himself he uses all the time he can with his new coach rather than a distraction of a Davis Cup match that even if we win won't cover up the cracks in British tennis.

In any case has anyone not thought this may be Andy better managing his schedule as he has voiced opinion in the past of the season being too hectic. As nothing was done about it I'd say he sees this as a chance to manage it himself after all ranking points are far more important.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:35 pm

All valid points.

But Smith is entitled to just a little more respect than waiting for a month. A phone call wouldn't hurt.

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:38 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:All valid points.

But Smith is entitled to just a little more respect than waiting for a month. A phone call wouldn't hurt.

LK2 - I agree. But we don't know if he didn't tell Smith, i.e. I'd be surprised if Andy hadn't given him the different scenarios beforehand and hence it was no surprise to him

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:48 pm

On this particular issue I feel Muzza is right., the Davis Team Britain is pitiful and no way one player can single handedly change this situation. It's been probably more guilty of cynicism the LTA when hired Judy hoping to involve Murray more in the team, rather than Murray who is just excercising his right not to take part to a pointlessly low profile tie.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:52 pm

And do you know the full facts here? For all we know Andy already has kept him informed. I am sure Smith would have been the first to make waves if Andy has not been straight with him and something would have leaked out.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:53 pm

A lot of this argument seems to be about whether the Davis Cup gets in the way of Andy winning a slam.

Henman always made Davis Cup a priority until it was too late for him to win one but, let's be honest, the fact he didn't was more down to the fact that sadly his best always came up a little bit short.

With Andy I can understand the need to focus on the major slams and prepare properly so the Davis Cup can unfortunately interfere with such arrangements but sorry the last time round was a lame excuse (pardon the pun) as he clearly wasn't injured. This time he has made it clear that clay court practice is more important. If an appropriate clay court venue could be found then would that do? Maybe worth thinking about for the future.

For my money whether he plays Davis Cup where humanely possible or not as dictated by his schedule makes little difference to him winning a slam. Nadal and Djokovic managed both (to be fair not sure about Federer). If you're good enough then hopefully you'll win a slam. If not you won't. Simple.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:57 pm

Lendl says he wants a 10-day block practising on clay which the DC would interrupt.

Murray's a fool if he does not do that because he did well on clay last year and needs to build on that.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:58 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

And do you know the full facts here? For all we know Andy already has kept him informed. I am sure Smith would have been the first to make waves if Andy has not been straight with him and something would have leaked out.

Wouldn't have Smith confirmed right away that Andy was not going to participate given that it is actually an important match? You assumption based on my assumption.

Look at when Lloyd was in charge. He was frustrated when Andy right before the tie declared his non-participation.

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 29 Mar 2012, 2:04 pm

newballs wrote:For my money whether he plays Davis Cup where humanely possible or not as dictated by his schedule makes little difference to him winning a slam. Nadal and Djokovic managed both (to be fair not sure about Federer). If you're good enough then hopefully you'll win a slam. If not you won't. Simple.

Spain would be in a chance of winning without Nadal in their team, and Djokovic had Tipsarevic and the world's No. 1 doubles player to support him. With Murray it's him and only him in the team, even Federer has Stan with whom he's won Olympic Gold in doubles. Henman had Rusdedski for most of the time he was playing DC.

Murray's not the first to put DC commitments low down the risk (Sampras was hardly a booby) and who are we to disagree - good enough is half the battle, you need to do the right work at the right time.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 29 Mar 2012, 2:08 pm

No not necessarily is he going to announce it. It is all a matter of when Smith was first collared by a journalist and it then came out I would say so it hit the press.

I mean in this report it claims it to be a badly-kept secret so rumours must have been kicking around for some time that he wouldn't be playing so presumably he'd mentioned it some time ago.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2120994/Andy-Murray-wont-play-Great-Britains-Davis-Cup-tie-Belgium.html
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next