The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shane Williams announces retirement from Club rugby

+13
Cari
glamorganalun
Shifty
Feckless Rogue
Smirnoffpriest
ScarletSpiderman
HERSH
walesneedanewmidget
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
geoff998rugby
Coleman
offload
Adam D
17 posters

Go down

Shane Williams announces retirement from Club rugby Empty Shane Williams announces retirement from Club rugby

Post by Adam D Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:48 am

Wales and Ospreys great Shane Williams to retire at end of season

Shane Williams will retire from all rugby at the end of this season, BBC Sport Wales understands.
Wales' record try scorer quit Test rugby in December, with 58 tries in 87 games for his country and two in four Tests for the British and Irish Lions.
Wing Williams, who turns 35 this month, has a contract with the Ospreys until the end of the 2012-13 season.
The Welsh region had also offered Williams a year extension, but he has decided to hang up his boots for good.
Williams signed off from the international stage in typical fashion, scoring a last-gasp try in the 24-18 defeat to Australia in Cardiff on 3 December.
At 5ft 7in and 12st 8lb Williams bucked the trend for powerhouse wingers in the professional game and in 2008 was named the International Rugby Board Player of the Year .

Williams has already expressed a desire to become a coach and has previously spoken to Ospreys managing director Mike Cuddy and elite performance director Andrew Hore about his post-playing career prospects.
But during the forthcoming Six Nations, Williams will join the BBC team of pundits providing expert views and analysis on the championship.
Williams started his junior career as a scrum-half at Amman United RFC, but after going professional with Neath was converted to play on the wing under then-coach Lyn Jones.
When Wales adopted regional rugby in 2003 it was natural that Williams became an Osprey, with the new side created by a merger between Neath and local rivals Swansea.
Williams earned his first cap off the bench against France in Wales' opening game of the 2000 Six Nations, then scored his first Test try in his first full start against Italy.

During his time playing for his country Williams has enjoyed two Grand Slams, the first in 2005 that ended Wales' 27-year wait for a championship clean sweep, and then again in 2008 .
He was also called up for two Lions tours, the first in 2005 to New Zealand and then to South Africa in 2009.
Williams played in a warm-up for the Lions against Argentina before they departed for New Zealand, but was then overlooked for the Test side until a five-try haul against Manawatu - equalling a single-game Lions record - saw him selected for the second match with the All Blacks .
Against the Springboks four years later Williams again had to bide his time, but he came off the bench in the second Test and then started the third Test - scoring two tries in a 28-9 win that restored some Lions pride.
To date Williams has played 136 times for the Ospreys, scoring 54 tries in the process for the Swansea-based side.

SHANE WILLIAMS
DoB: 26/2/77
Height: 5ft 7in
Weight: 12st 8lb
Position: Wing
Clubs: Amman United RFC, Neath, Ospreys
Test record: 60 tries (58 for Wales, 2 for Lions) from 91 Tests (87 for Wales, 4 for Lions)

SOurce - BBC Link

606v2 tips its hat to you Mr Williams. Thank you. clap

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Shane Williams announces retirement from Club rugby Empty Re: Shane Williams announces retirement from Club rugby

Post by offload Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:42 am

Williams is a player who has polarized opinions throughout his career - but you can't argue with his record or his contribution to Wales. Unfortunately he often played in poor Welsh teams but he was world class and would have been a star in any era of the game. One of the best to ever represent us.

Coaching can be a difficult transition so let's hope he becomes a good one - it's not like we're blessed with top talent in that department !
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Shane Williams announces retirement from Club rugby Empty Re: Shane Williams announces retirement from Club rugby

Post by Coleman Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:50 am

Hopfully he'll crack out that season he promised Amman United. Would be insane that he could get at that level.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:53 am

Always a soft spot for Shane - my size, my position and both had pace.........not bad - unfortuantely only one of us had talent Laugh

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:53 am

But during the forthcoming Six Nations, Williams will join the BBC team of pundits providing expert views and analysis on the championship.

Is he being payed just to make Jiffy look like a real human?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by walesneedanewmidget Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:49 am

Gutted!

walesneedanewmidget

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 am

Great player, I wonder how he'll celebrate if he scores in his last game?

Whistle
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:33 pm

To be honest I have never been a huge fan of his, however I must be honest his retirement will be noticable.

Coleman - hopefully he will not keep his promise, as there are a few local sides to me in that league who struggle against Amman already, if he played for them they would be slaughtered
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:16 pm

It's such a shame and will really hit the Osreys particularly if Bowe goes, in 2 seasons they'll go from a backline of Byrne, Bowe, Williams - with back up from B Davies, Fussell, Walker, to a back line of B Davies, Dirksen, Walker and back-up from Prydie, Walker, Phillips - that's one hell of a difference.

Great player and ambassador, he'll be missed.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:34 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:It's such a shame and will really hit the Osreys particularly if Bowe goes, in 2 seasons they'll go from a backline of Byrne, Bowe, Williams - with back up from B Davies, Fussell, Walker, to a back line of B Davies, Dirksen, Walker and back-up from Prydie, Walker, Phillips - that's one hell of a difference.

Great player and ambassador, he'll be missed.

If you believe the rumours it gets worse than that, Barry Davies, Fussel and Walker are meant to be leaving at the end of the season too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:35 pm

Yup I think the O's will need to buy at least 1 exciting back or they'll be in trouble

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:39 pm

His detractors don't have a leg to stand on. His scoring record speaks for itself.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:07 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:His detractors don't have a leg to stand on. His scoring record speaks for itself.

Yep, nearly as good as Chris Ashton Whistle Run

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Feckless Rogue wrote:His detractors don't have a leg to stand on. His scoring record speaks for itself.

Yep, nearly as good as Chris Ashton Whistle Run

Whose nearly as good as Nigel Walker Whistle

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:08 pm

Shame to see him go, but I'm not suprised he has looked very frustated playing for the Ospreys in recent weeks, he is trying to force things and it just isnt happening for him.

Sad to see such a great player leave the game but it is probably the best time to go. At least it will give some of the younger Ospreys wingers a chance to have a chance.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:11 pm

I can't believe that the little fella has announced his retirement from the game and there have only been 14 replies.

The guy is a legend and deserves more recognition from fellow 606ers Shocked
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:50 pm

Am still very suprised and can't believe I'm saying it - but cheers for the post Hersh I couldn't agree more. Shocked

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:25 pm

I believe he said he wanted a 2 year contract extension but it appears the Os only offered 1 year so I suspect he has told them where to go! If the Scarlets are quick and offer him a 2 year deal at a reduced price he may take it, who knows. It looks as if the Os management has done it again.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:48 pm

I thought his retiring from club rugby at the end of this season was a given? I agree with Alyn. Shane's not himself these days, maybe it's all catching up with him, or he's just not enjoying playing anymore....but his play seems forced these days. I think Shane would be a great coach somewhere though.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:34 pm

This is interesting:

"Following his retirement from international rugby earlier this season we have been involved in ongoing discussions with Shane regarding his future career once he inevitably decides to hang up his boots.

"While these discussions are ongoing and obviously remain confidential, Shane remains contracted to the Ospreys and 100 per cent committed to the team, as you would expect, just as we remain committed to helping Shane make the natural progression from player to administrator.

"True to our ethos of development from within, we hope to be able to confirm shortly a new role for Shane within the organisation, which will enable him to continue serving the region with the same distinction he has as a player.

"Until such a time that discussions have been concluded, there will be no further comment on this matter from either party."

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Apparetnly, according to the radio, Shane's retirement is not a sure thing, and there may be a new deal in the pipeline for him. Although how true it is who knows.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Sounds like they are worried Gloucester will come in and poach him by offering a garuntee of the starting 12 shirt

Whistle

(not bitter)

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:02 pm

The Ospreys have released this statement today:

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/6227.php

So it looks like he might still be at the Ospreys whether he retires or not.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:07 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Am still very suprised and can't believe I'm saying it - but cheers for the post Hersh I couldn't agree more. Shocked

No problem matey, I'm lost as to why the Welsh and other fans aren't committing more on this subject?, is it a case that once you make yourself unavailable for Wales you are wiped from there memories?

Where have all the Ospreys fans gone?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:08 pm

Well, well, well - finally, a true legend of this first 21st century decade calls time. Too much gets said about great players when they retire. We all know all that stuff - you don't have to repeat it to do honour. You simply say farewe...........................................

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Apparetnly, according to the radio, Shane's retirement is not a sure thing, and there may be a new deal in the pipeline for him. Although how true it is who knows.

...he's not? OH well, I'll save my eulogy for when it happens for real!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:28 pm

Hope this doesnt turn into one of those 'more comebacks than Frank Sinatra' type things.............

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:29 pm

So is this a case of greedy Shane wanting more money?

Shocking!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:36 pm

I remember someone on here saying when Shane announced his international retirement that they wouldn't be suprised to see him call time on his club career soon afterwards. As he might loose his appetite/enjoyment after that, knowing that he isn't reaching for the very top of the game anymore.

Seems like that could be a reason/factor in him choosing now, just before the 6Ns to announce his retirement.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:22 pm

ah someone remembered me. I have to be honest I didn't expect it to be this quick. In the Ospreys games I've seen him in this season he hasn't looked that much of a threat. I think without the internationals to look forward to he's got nothing to play for.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:31 pm

OK, here's the latest...
http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/6235.php

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:47 pm

And here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16849949

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down