The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Rights Deals

+2
HammerofThunor
boomeranga
6 posters

Go down

Media Rights Deals Empty Media Rights Deals

Post by boomeranga Thu 02 Feb 2012, 6:11 am

Apologies for the boring topic, but I've been thinking a lot about our issues with creating a national domestic comp, and thinking about the money involved.

Under the current SANZAR media deal, the three countries receive an even split of what was negotiated for Super Ugby and the Tri-nations.  From what I can find out via Google, this amounts to $100m USD each over the five year term of the agreement.  Does anyone know what the arrangement is for Argentina's inclusion?

In addition, both SA and NZ have sole rights to the sale of their CC and NPC media.  Oz have created nothing to sell so correctly miss out on this revenue stream.  Does anyone know what the CC and NPC rights were sold for?  Is it a mix of free to air and pay tv, or does Rupert own the lot?

Do any posters from the NH know what sort of income is received by your unions from the media?  Again, do you get FTA broadcasts of anything other than the 6N's?

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Media Rights Deals Empty Re: Media Rights Deals

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:37 am

A lot of the PRO12 games involving Welsh, Irish and Scottish teams are FTA via the BBC (local BBC channels) or S4C (welsh channel with some BBC made programmes). Not sure about the moneys involved.

Sky have limited coverage of English premiership (26 games) and ESPN have more coverage (43 games) and neither are FTA. ITV have a FTA highlight programme.
Combined it's worth about 54 million pound

Not sure about domestic coverage of French league but ESPN have coverage in UK (still not FTA).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Thu 02 Feb 2012, 10:51 am

Thanks Hammer. £54m over three years is good money considering you would get HC + Internationals £££ on top.

I don't really know what I hope this will teach me, but we debate on OZ forums endlessly about maximising money (Rupert) v maximising exposure (FTA), when in effect neither are offering anything as we have nothing to sell. Maybe hearing what happens elsewhere will lead to a lightening bolt of genius striking me in the arse and I can walk into JON's office with 'The Answer'. He'll say ratings are up, we won the S15/Trinations, and marketing tell us things have never been sweeter dont you know, but thanks for the feedback.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 02 Feb 2012, 11:47 am

I'd like the PRO12 to go down the Sky/ESPN route. The teams could use the money and I think it would help increase attendances too.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 02 Feb 2012, 11:48 am

ANybody know what the broadcasters and Heineken pays out for the HEC sponsorship and coverage?
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 02 Feb 2012, 11:52 am

From wikipedia,

In 2003, it began its coverage of the Heineken Cup, outbidding previous rights holder BBC Sport with its offer of £20 million for 3 years, showing usually 10 matches each pool weekend as well as all knockout matches and up to three matches per round in the Amlin Challenge Cup.[21] For the first time in 2006, Sky Sports held exclusive rights to live Heineken Cup rugby in the UK and Ireland, with RTÉ only able to show tape-delayed coverage and S4C able to show only highlights.[citation needed] Sky Sports started to broadcast games from the European Challenge Cup from the season 2007/08, with one game every week.[citation needed]

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 02 Feb 2012, 11:56 am

http://www.espnscrum.com/europeancup-2008/rugby/story/88253.html

ERC, organisers of the Heineken Cup and European Challenge Cup, and Sky Sports have extended their broadcast partnership for television coverage of both European club rugby tournaments until the end of the 2013/14 season.

Can't find anything regarding money though.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 02 Feb 2012, 12:00 pm

Boomeranga, from what I could find the currie Cup from 2011 to 2015 have been sold to Supersport for R700 million, roughly 60 million pounds.

So it looks like about 12 million pounds per year.

Of course, in all his public statements, Marinos failed to mention that SA Rugby had no choice but to fight for the Currie Cup in its Sanzar meetings because in 2007 it sold the TV rights for all incoming Test tours and Currie Cup tournaments from 2011-2015 to SuperSport.

You may recall the controversy it caused at the time, with SuperSport paying R700 million – considered to be a bargain – including a R30 million ‘sweetener’ that allowed SA Rugby to show a profit when it released its financial statements in early 2008. SA Rugby also didn’t give rival broadcasters e.tv and the SABC a chance to tender, which infuriated then-Saru vice-president Koos Basson, who described the agreement as ‘flawed’.

However, the fact remains that the Currie Cup will have to be played until 2015, but what will happen to it after that?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 02 Feb 2012, 12:22 pm

Trying to get numbers is like trying to get blood from a stone. Everything is top secret.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Thu 02 Feb 2012, 12:29 pm

Total broadcasting income for HC/ACC is roughly 30m euros p.a., and for 6N is 74m.

Autumn Internationals, summer tours, etc are negotiated individually by each union.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Fri 03 Feb 2012, 3:53 am

Thanks fellas. If you ever hear news of the Boomeranga Cup, you can tell the kids you played your part in the future of Aust Rugby.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down