The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looks like Kaino may be coming to a club near you

+18
Feckless Rogue
chewed_mintie
Sin é
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
geoff999rugby
Standulstermen
gowales
Geordie
formerly known as Sam
Bathite
beshocked
whocares
red_stag
marty2086
Knowsit17
gnollbeast
UlstermaninGlasgow
blackcanelion
22 posters

Go down

Looks like Kaino may be coming to a club near you Empty Looks like Kaino may be coming to a club near you

Post by blackcanelion Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:30 am

He comes of contract after the super 15 and has said he's looking at all his options. I say it's time for a dash for cash. He should be a better buy than Collins, who was physically starting to slide towards the end.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Looks like Kaino may be coming to a club near you Empty Re: Looks like Kaino may be coming to a club near you

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:33 am

Word on the street is he is in contact with Ulster as John Afoa is a very good friend of his (best man at his wedding) and would replace Pedrie Wannenberg... Would be a massive signing!!!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Looks like Kaino may be coming to a club near you Empty Re: Looks like Kaino may be coming to a club near you

Post by gnollbeast Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:34 am

Former Kiwi backrow? Sounds like something the Ospreys would go for.

gnollbeast

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:38 am

Former? Is he already retired?

Ospreys have shedded a lot of their past imports and if they keep it narrowed down to a couple I'd love Kaino to be one of them.

Can't see him wanting to just hear his voice echo around the Liberty though tomato

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:40 am

Ospreys are cutting costs Kaino and Bowe for Ulster!!!

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:41 am

Munster to hijack both bids and sign Kaino and Bowe Very Happy
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:41 am

I thought he was coming to Gwent Dragons???!

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:45 am

Kaino to replace Chabal at Racing (who just been sacked).

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:48 am

Very difficult to compete with French money.

Why was Chabal sacked?

Rumours are Chabal is going to Toulon.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:55 am

Toulon is becoming a retirement home!

Heard the Kaino to Ulster rumour for a while now, would be one hell of a signing. Best 6 in the world for me and at the peak of his powers

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:57 am

Bathite wrote:Heard the Kaino to Ulster rumour for a while now, would be one hell of a signing. Best 6 in the world for me and at the peak of his powers

Hed have Ferris to battle with for that spot at Ulster

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:02 pm

Evaluation of a French club which doesn't threaten to leave the group one year - needs more money.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:08 pm

Chabal allegedly had an argument with Berbizier about the way the team is playing and also about his contract renewal. Realisticly RM didnt offered him as much as he wanted or currently have which is fair enough as he's not that useful anymore to be honest.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:19 pm

Hed have Ferris to battle with for that spot at Ulster.

It's presumed that Kaino would play 8 whilst Ferris is available and whilst he isn't he'd play 6 with Wilson at 8.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:27 pm

HHmmm Kaino at 8 and Ferris at 6...ouch...welcome to the house of pain!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:29 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Bathite wrote:Heard the Kaino to Ulster rumour for a while now, would be one hell of a signing. Best 6 in the world for me and at the peak of his powers

Hed have Ferris to battle with for that spot at Ulster

Yeah you're right two of my favourite players in world rugby, but have Kaino shading it, due to his consistency over the last 18 months (whilst Ferris was injured though!)

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:39 pm

Come to the Ospreys Kaino!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:41 pm

There was a french article on the ulster supporters forum suggesting Wannenburg will be going to stade or racing

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:53 pm

Kaino is out of Ospreys price bracket - they cant afford him.

The worry for Ulster is the French may offer something they cant match

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:54 pm

Or possibly an AP team under the new one player that doesn't impact the salary cap ruling?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:55 pm

Very true Geoff. Some French clubs could probably double what we could offer

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:57 pm

I am little confused about the new Irish rules. How many foreigners are allowed?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:06 pm

beshocked wrote:I am little confused about the new Irish rules. How many foreigners are allowed?

Currently 6 per squad. One of the 6 must be eligable to play for Ireland in the future under residency.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:09 pm

beshocked wrote:I am little confused about the new Irish rules. How many foreigners are allowed?

Bear in mind that if Kaino were to sign we will have dropped Wannenburg and danielli.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:12 pm

Isn't there the new bizarre ruling that if only 1 foreigner can play per position over the 4 Irish clubs? E.g. If Kaino is signed as a 6 the other 3 Irish clubs can't do the same?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:32 pm

I thinks thats what it is. I read an article saying it could be illegal and the likes of Nacew, Howlett could have a case since their children are Irish born or something. Citing the Bosman ruling as an example.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:37 pm

Wouldn't be due to come in till 2014 if indeed it comes in at all. I think it will be renegotiated. Still wouldnt obstruct signing Kaino mind you

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:39 pm

Tweeted by the guy who broke the story about Kaino wanting to leave that Kaino's agent had been onto Garrett Fitz (CEO of Munster).

It looks like he (or his agent) is hawking himself around a bit.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:43 pm

The new Irish rules don't start till 2013-14 and even then are going to be revised before impementation.

The rules for next year are 4+1 hence the reason each of the 3 senior provinces are having to drop at least 1 NIQ this summer.

Easy for Ulster - we just wont replace Danielli

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:44 pm

I would imagine he wants the best deal possible from his time away from NZ. 2 years away at say £250k a year would give him a very nice retirement fund to take home to NZ before the next RWC. I wonder why he isn't going to Japan that seems the fashionable move for SH players these days.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:44 pm

I think he'll stay personally.....

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:45 pm

gowales wrote:I thinks thats what it is. I read an article saying it could be illegal and the likes of Nacew, Howlett could have a case since their children are Irish born or something. Citing the Bosman ruling as an example.

Pienaer will be a father of an Irish born child soon as well.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:48 pm

beshocked wrote:Isn't there the new bizarre ruling that if only 1 foreigner can play per position over the 4 Irish clubs? E.g. If Kaino is signed as a 6 the other 3 Irish clubs can't do the same?

It doesnt apply to Connacht just the other three.

So yes the idea is that Ulster, Munster and Leinster will each have 5 foreigners with 1 of them eligable for Ireland in future through residency.

And they divvy up the 15 positions between them 5 each and keep it swapping around.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:51 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

I would imagine he wants the best deal possible from his time away from NZ. 2 years away at say £250k a year would give him a very nice retirement fund to take home to NZ before the next RWC. I wonder why he isn't going to Japan that seems the fashionable move for SH players these days.

I'd say he will be on plenty more than 250k. Probably 350 at a minimum.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:01 pm

Standulstermen wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:

He won't be getting 350K in Ireland anyway. Michael Corcoran (RTE) twittered that it is unlikely that the IRFU would/could match what Tommy Bowe was on (350K) for the Ospreys, so whichever club wants him will have to come up with a fair bit of cash as well. Can Ulster afford to do that?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:02 pm

I thinkI heard Rocky Elsom got E400k for his year at leinster
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:02 pm

RE: Japan I'd imagine he wants to play top class rugby as well as being well paid.

He can do both in Europe. In Japan he'd be well paid but wouldn't experience the Heineken Cup - that has become a massive carrot in attracting SH players.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:06 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I thinkI heard Rocky Elsom got E400k for his year at leinster

Leinster probably came up with that money themselves - and it was a few years ago now. POC took a paycut to 350K. I can't see the Irish players been too happy about NIQ being treated better than they are.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:16 pm

Well £250K is worth about E300K so depends what currency we're talking. Castro is on around £300k (maybe a touch more it depends on which rumours you believe) at Tigers (E360k) and I don't think anyone in the AP earns more or the clubs could afford to pay out much more as the wage cap isn't going up by that much. I think the marquee signing is limited to stop the likes of Bath or Sarries getting the owners to write players blank cheques.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:23 pm

Here's some extra context on Kaino's plans (he did an interview on RadioSport in NZ overnight): http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10783116
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:24 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:The worry for Ulster is the French may offer something they cant match

geoff as you know though Ulster have an appeal to him that no one has and thats his good mate Afoa hopefully thatll be a big factor

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:25 pm

Im not sure but it depends how ulster would potentially spend the wages I'd danielli and Wannenburg given that Wilson is already signed. I'm not sure how much ulster could afford Sin. I don't think there is any way an irish team could match what he would get in France.ulsters bargaining chip is Afoa/Payne who have been talking up the experience up here.

I as say if it is a case of highest bidder I don't think he will play in. Ireland

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 03 Feb 2012, 3:06 pm

I'm not sure hes an Ulster calibre player to be honest. He's best going somewhere where he'll get gametime.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 03 Feb 2012, 3:08 pm

I doubt the fact that his mate is in Ulster would count for much. I'm sure he has plenty of mates in Auckland. He wants big money.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 03 Feb 2012, 3:08 pm

roddersm wrote:I'm not sure hes an Ulster calibre player to be honest. He's best going somewhere where he'll get gametime.

Forgot to add the Run in there rodders Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 03 Feb 2012, 3:09 pm

Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 03 Feb 2012, 3:16 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I doubt the fact that his mate is in Ulster would count for much. I'm sure he has plenty of mates in Auckland. He wants big money.

Worked with Pienaar. Of course he wants money but he doesn't want to be miserable for 2/3 years. The saffers like it here and in no small part is this because they are here together. Young families moving to a new area will like some semblance of continuity which would be provided given that Afoa is his best mate and Payne a teammate. Will it be the overriding factor? probably not depending on the money. Certainly I think it gives ulster a chance. What could go against them is how much money Is available.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 03 Feb 2012, 5:30 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:HHmmm Kaino at 8 and Ferris at 6...ouch...welcome to the house of pain!
Whenever I see Ferris play I think he would be great at 8. His carrying and general run through players and knock them over like skittles is second to none and the more he can get his hands on the ball the better. He wouldn't make any less bone crunching tackles either. Always thought of Kaino as more of your traditional dark arts 6, although he does carry well too. Either way they are 2 of the best backrow players in the world.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down