The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kaino is back. Where to put him?

+3
Taylorman
dallym
kiakahaaotearoa
7 posters

Go down

Kaino is back. Where to put him? Empty Kaino is back. Where to put him?

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 20 Sep 2013, 4:19 am

He is currently in Auckland getting treatment for a knee injury but on his return to his Japanese club side he will announce that he has signed a two year deal with the Blues, North Harbour and the NZRU. He has a get out clause to head out overseas if he doesn't make the NZ side.

With Luatua at 6 for the Blues and based on his impressive performances at 6 for NZ, he would probably play at 8 for the Blues. He would provide great backrow cover as well as impact but typically the sub is an open side.

How likely is Kaino's return to the NZ team given that he probably won't play Super rugby in his 6 position? How likely is he to make the bench and also if he doesn't make the team will he head overseas again and rule out any possibility of playing in the World Cup? Before Luatua we missed his physicality. Now that we have someone else in the mix what happens to players like Messam? Depth is great but sometimes having a surplus of requirements can lead to a player not getting much game time. Kaino knew what he was doing when he took up the lucrative offer in Japan. How should he be treated on his return?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Kaino is back. Where to put him? Empty Re: Kaino is back. Where to put him?

Post by dallym Fri 20 Sep 2013, 4:22 am

Blues have lost Ali and Boric this year...could Luatua move back to the locking position?

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 20 Sep 2013, 4:24 am

I'd hate to see that happen. He's fine where he is.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Sep 2013, 4:52 am

Good question Kia

Would any of these guys be good at 7, Luatua?

Assuming Kaino still has it, he's gotta be in there, and Luatua has been great. But something has clicked with Messam, mmmm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 20 Sep 2013, 7:04 am

Hes gotta prove himself with NZ rugby again. Said himself he had to drop weight to keep up with the pace in Japan. Losing that bulk means he would have to be tested again. Keeps getting better for the Blues though...keep em coming jk.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 20 Sep 2013, 6:48 pm

Kaino and SBW are returning what price Kahui too?unfortunate Kaino on previous form would
be favourite at 6 ,with Reid and McCaw.Luatua was looking the business chances are IF he
can`t establish a regular place he will go abroad.Messam/Vito haven't impressed consistently
at test level.SBW for Nonu probably,Kahui for Conrad?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 20 Sep 2013, 7:20 pm

Do you guys not think Luatua at lock is a better fit for him? Where do you think you have more depth, 6 or lock? I think a top notch Kaino at 6 is a better bet than Luatua.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 20 Sep 2013, 7:21 pm

How other countries must envy the dilemma of where to slot in World Cup winning 6, 12,13 into a side already ranked #1...

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 20 Sep 2013, 7:31 pm

Probably quite a few GE. What do you reckon, Luatua or Kaino at 6? Do you reckon Luatua will develop to be as good as Kaino at 6?

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 20 Sep 2013, 7:35 pm

Kaino needs to bulk up after Japanese rugby. It remains to be seen if he can re find the form that made him the worlds best 6.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 20 Sep 2013, 7:43 pm

I haven't seen Luatua for the ABs I must admit, so don't know how much he stepped up. Something about him didn't strike me as an AB. He didn't look athletic enough for 6. Looked like a bigger version of a Tom Wood type 6 - abrasive and technically good but a bit under-powered. I guess he's kicked on.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 20 Sep 2013, 7:53 pm

No one has come back the same or better player after an overseas stint. Kaino starts at the back and has to prove hes All Black quality.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 20 Sep 2013, 7:57 pm

Carter came back fine didn't he Wink 

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 20 Sep 2013, 8:03 pm

Hood83 wrote:I haven't seen Luatua for the ABs I must admit, so don't know how much he stepped up. Something about him didn't strike me as an AB. He didn't look athletic enough for 6. Looked like a bigger version of a Tom Wood type 6 - abrasive and technically good but a bit under-powered. I guess he's kicked on.
not athletic enough? For me he possibly looks one of the most athletic 6's Ive ever seen. Try watching the highlights of the Oz game in NZ

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 20 Sep 2013, 8:04 pm

Hood83 wrote:Carter came back fine didn't he Wink 
spent half the 6 months injured. didnt have time to regress.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 21 Sep 2013, 1:43 am

Nonu at Test Level came back after stint in Japan,2012 ok,he just doesn't try hard enough
at Super level,Coasts as did others saving it for the AB`s

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Sep 2013, 1:50 am

Ellison did ok coming back

Out of interest, who are the flops? I can only think of Mcallister but I'm sure there's others. Braid?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 21 Sep 2013, 4:46 am

Taylorman wrote:
Hood83 wrote:Carter came back fine didn't he Wink 
spent half the 6 months injured. didnt have time to regress.
Hence the - Wink 

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 21 Sep 2013, 4:48 am

Taylorman wrote:
Hood83 wrote:I haven't seen Luatua for the ABs I must admit, so don't know how much he stepped up. Something about him didn't strike me as an AB. He didn't look athletic enough for 6. Looked like a bigger version of a Tom Wood type 6 - abrasive and technically good but a bit under-powered. I guess he's kicked on.
not athletic enough? For me he possibly looks one of the most athletic 6's Ive ever seen. Try watching the highlights of the Oz game in NZ
I'll have to. I freely admit I've obviously not seen games where he's shown something else. Times I've seen him he looks very committed, a willing and frequent carrier who isn't destructive but by volume of work is effective. I think it may be partly that he always looks utterly knackered. So you think he's definitely a 6 not a lock then?

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sat 21 Sep 2013, 5:07 am

He's not a lock

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Sat 21 Sep 2013, 5:51 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:He's not a lock
he won a JWC playing at lock...

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 21 Sep 2013, 6:35 am

Hood83 wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
I'll have to. I freely admit I've obviously not seen games where he's shown something else. Times I've seen him he looks very committed, a willing and frequent carrier who isn't destructive but by volume of work is effective. I think it may be partly that he always looks utterly knackered. So you think he's definitely a 6 not a lock then?
I have to agree with Taylorman - Luatua looks hugely physical and almost always makes ground with every carry, even in the tight exchanges. In open play he is devastating also, as he not only has the pace and bulk, but he also has the skills of any back. His passing and offloading game is simply sensational for a man as young as he is, and for a blindside flanker.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 21 Sep 2013, 9:16 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Hood83 wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
I have to agree with Taylorman - Luatua looks hugely physical and almost always makes ground with every carry, even in the tight exchanges.  In open play he is devastating also, as he not only has the pace and bulk, but he also has the skills of any back.  His passing and offloading game is simply sensational for a man as young as he is, and for a blindside flanker.
Saw his break against Oz but didn't think he was that quick. I'll have to watch a little more of him. Obviously highly rated

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down